What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pve Queues, Am I the Only One???

2»

Answers

• Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Want to instantly solve this problem? Get rid of the whole private queue system. People are constantly leaving the game thinking it's dead because all the public queue's are empty. Heaven forbid all the dps'ers have to play the game with the rest of the unwashed masses. It would improve the quality of the game for everyone, and maybe, just maybe, we could get the 20 player maps going again. At that point, no one would give a damn about the stupid red alerts.

I don't know about that.

http://feiqa.deviantart.com/art/Queue-wait-663412801

(I still can't figure out how to put an actual picture in here guys.)

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    feiqa wrote: »
    Want to instantly solve this problem? Get rid of the whole private queue system. People are constantly leaving the game thinking it's dead because all the public queue's are empty. Heaven forbid all the dps'ers have to play the game with the rest of the unwashed masses. It would improve the quality of the game for everyone, and maybe, just maybe, we could get the 20 player maps going again. At that point, no one would give a damn about the stupid red alerts.

I don't know about that.

I think I get what you are saying, but there is not 17 people playing STO.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Embedding pictures is simple.
    [img]imgurl[/img]

I don't queue much anymore unless it's an event or RA.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Nothing at all should "qualify" someone as AFK, if they were honestly trying their best. The way the AFK penalty is currently implemented is a farce in every possible way.
    I agree with you, but how can the game know if you are AFK? Should it be BPPS (Button Presses Per Second)? Because that can be macro'ed in. The same goes for distance traveled (I can set my ship to half impulse away from combat and leave the computer).

I think measuring through a combat metric is a necessary evil. And if combat metrics have to be used, then it should be friendly to players of all skill levels.
  • Options
    echatty wrote: »
    [img]imgurl[/img]

Thank you!

• Options

I don't know about that.

Actually just trying to insert some levity. I do not know why some queues will have a line to launch them but not actually launch. This was just the most extreme version I was able to screen grab.

• Options

I don't know about that.

Actually just trying to insert some levity. I do not know why some queues will have a line to launch them but not actually launch. This was just the most extreme version I was able to screen grab.

Yeah, I noticed the other day when that happened that as soon as I exited the queue it started. Don't know why it happens but I guess the best thing is to rejoin the queue.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    dinkydr2 wrote: »
    Personally an AFK penalty should be only for what Coldnapalm experimented with. Sitting there doing nothing. Full penalties.

But damage dealt. I a pretty sure many here will say it is not hard at all to get to 60 with doffing and story missions. So you never need to see real damage output.
    So why not a measure that parses all the players. If the top of the pack was 30% or better than 2nd in the pack. Don't count him for averaging the damage. That way one OP player dropped into a Pug does not hurt players that tried. But it should also give you rankings so you can see where your performance is. So if you only did 2% of the damage and were in last place. You might be given a hint to try a little harder.

Like the sort of system they have in "Neverwinter". When you're finished with a PVE ....there is a status screen at the end- that shows who did what- Damage, Heals, Enemy's destroyed, How many times you were healed. It is very helpful to be able to tell where you stood in comparison to others.
    if and how you did.
    That would be great indeed. This game badly needs more performance feedback, they can't expect everyone to run some third-party software to know how they're doing.
    e30ernest wrote: »
    Nothing at all should "qualify" someone as AFK, if they were honestly trying their best. The way the AFK penalty is currently implemented is a farce in every possible way.
    I agree with you, but how can the game know if you are AFK? Should it be BPPS (Button Presses Per Second)? Because that can be macro'ed in. The same goes for distance traveled (I can set my ship to half impulse away from combat and leave the computer).

I think measuring through a combat metric is a necessary evil. And if combat metrics have to be used, then it should be friendly to players of all skill levels.
    That's just it. The game can't automatically know if you're AFK, unless you're actually not doing anything at all. It can just guess. And players should not be punished based on guessing.

The "combat metric" is just as easy to avoid as button presses or whatever. You just need to shoot something (presuming you didn't get teamed with people who wipe the map in seconds). It's impossible to have a high enough threshold to be practical without effectively turning the queues into a "DPS chasers only" -club.
  • Options
    That's just it. The game can't automatically know if you're AFK, unless you're actually not doing anything at all. It can just guess. And players should not be punished based on guessing.

The "combat metric" is just as easy to avoid as button presses or whatever. You just need to shoot something (presuming you didn't get teamed with people who wipe the map in seconds). It's impossible to have a high enough threshold to be practical without effectively turning the queues into a "DPS chasers only" -club.

So with that statement, are you against the implementation of an automated AFK penalty system? Because removing that would bring about problems like the one seen in the Mirror Invasion events.
  • Options

So with that statement, are you against the implementation of an automated AFK penalty system? Because removing that would bring about problems like the one seen in the Mirror Invasion events.
    If you're referring to the problem of a few players hurling profanities at others for exercising their right to ignore optional objectives, that's never been much affected by the so-called AFK penalty system.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Personally an AFK penalty should be only for what Coldnapalm experimented with. Sitting there doing nothing. Full penalties.

But damage dealt. I a pretty sure many here will say it is not hard at all to get to 60 with doffing and story missions. So you never need to see real damage output.
    So why not a measure that parses all the players. If the top of the pack was 30% or better than 2nd in the pack. Don't count him for averaging the damage. That way one OP player dropped into a Pug does not hurt players that tried. But it should also give you rankings so you can see where your performance is. So if you only did 2% of the damage and were in last place. You might be given a hint to try a little harder.

Like the sort of system they have in "Neverwinter". When you're finished with a PVE ....there is a status screen at the end- that shows who did what- Damage, Heals, Enemy's destroyed, How many times you were healed. It is very helpful to be able to tell where you stood in comparison to others.
    if and how you did.

If you want to know how you did get a parser. Not everyone wants numbers thrown in their face after every queue.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options

This would be a HORRIBLE idea becuase we already find that the simplest of queues are too difficult for the average pug on normal. half the Gravity Kills and Tzekenthi front queues I enter LITERALLY FAIL becuase people dont do any of what theyre supposed to do and then give up and leave.

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
  • Options
    gradii wrote: »

This would be a HORRIBLE idea becuase we already find that the simplest of queues are too difficult for the average pug on normal. half the Gravity Kills and Tzekenthi front queues I enter LITERALLY FAIL becuase people dont do any of what theyre supposed to do and then give up and leave.

I play those pugs constantly and I have yet to see one fail. In fact I don't think it is possible to fail them on normal.
    Regardless, is your argument that those players that know what they are doing continue to be sequestered away from the new players? Is that in any way healthy for the game?
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    [img]imgurl[/img]

Thank you!

You're welcome
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    dinkydr2dinkydr2 Member Posts: 61 Arc User

if and how you did.

If you want to know how you did get a parser. Not everyone wants numbers thrown in their face after every queue.

"We seee many thingss, We seee new machiness on IX,
    We seee a problemm withh House Atreideesss, We Seee a Problem withh Housse Harkonnenn"

Thank you, Frank Herbert!
  • Options
    dinkydr2dinkydr2 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    How about a small clickable box, for how your stats were, that's labeled "view" or "ignore"??? Maybe have the box go away after 10 seconds if you don't view it and don't click "ignore".
    "We seee many thingss, We seee new machiness on IX,
    We seee a problemm withh House Atreideesss, We Seee a Problem withh Housse Harkonnenn"

Thank you, Frank Herbert!
  • Options

if and how you did.

But a lot of players do need numbers thrown in their face.

You can always ignore them if you don't care. Unfortunately.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User

FYI last week in a Tzenkenthi front PUG all the team except myself and another left. We were able to do it with a NX-refit (mine) and a T-5 U Klingon Rapture. Hell I could have soloed it. So you can do either one wihout a full team if you are willing to take the time and pay attention to what the goal is.
  • Options
    Elite has been soloed before, so in theory, one can carry an advanced PUG by himself:

https://youtu.be/_PancP55f20

The only issue in this STF is when people are so clueless or deliberately go out to grief other players by picking up all the bombs and not delivering any of them to the enemy starbases.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    if and how you did.

Back in ye early days of ST:O, you would have this at the end of SB:24 - it would show you everyone's "score" which was directly related to how much damage dealt and how many and what type of targets destroyed. Some time in season 2 or 3, that feature was removed. I miss it. I'm thinking it was removed so people couldn't as easily figure out how to "game" the system. Sadly, that ship has sailed.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Yes, warpangel is against ANY AFK system. He wants people to leech...because doing 1% is such a tough target that it is just too hard for new players to reach that threshold. Mind you, that is like doing 5k DPS if you end up with Felisean. That is having common mark XII items in a not stupid set up...and boff abilities in a not stupid set up...using the free ship you get at 40. Nope...too hard. In the unlikely event you end up with the top 4 DPSers in this game...congrats, you need to do 20k DPS and maybe have to use some of the VR rewards you get in story mode.
    I'm against any system that calls people AFK when they're not.

If people are punished for their low performance, they should be told they're being punished for their low performance (and preferably, given appropriate feedback and advice on how to improve), instead of pretending they were "AFK."
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    I did. I cloaked and did nothing else. So unless cloaking counts as DPS...there is no AFK penalty unless they changed it recently.
    Or maybe, it's just a thought you know, given the history of Cryptic's coding and that there's always someone coming in here saying they got an AFK penalty in the red alerts, there's a bug.
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    tempus64 wrote: »
    I did. I cloaked and did nothing else. So unless cloaking counts as DPS...there is no AFK penalty unless they changed it recently.
    Or maybe, it's just a thought you know, given the history of Cryptic's coding and that there's always someone coming in here saying they got an AFK penalty in the red alerts, there's a bug.

That too. But I suspect if there are AFK penalties, it was a stealth change. I haven't checked since they made the RA into queues after all.

They probably share some of the code with the queues now, i.e. AFK penalty stuff but then they would have "TRIBBLE" it out. So yeah, I can see there being some sort of a bug. Probably one of those things where you'd have to run many tests with no damage done, a little done etc etc to see if there's something happening or not.
  • Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »

FYI last week in a Tzenkenthi front PUG all the team except myself and another left. We were able to do it with a NX-refit (mine) and a T-5 U Klingon Rapture. Hell I could have soloed it. So you can do either one wihout a full team if you are willing to take the time and pay attention to what the goal is.

This happened to me as well it doesn't mean its intended or desired for 2 people to have to carry a queue.