test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What has STO done well?

Seems like we can use a purely positive thread on this topic.

What do you positively like about STO because its implementation was good, sensible, innovative, appropriate, effective, maybe even "fun"?
/channel_join grind

Comments

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    well the fact you can get just about anything free if you grind enough is nice.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »

It features one of the most player-friendly F2P models currently available. With the exception of most LTS features, the things that can be unlocked with wallet monies can also be unlocked with space monies. This is truly a welcomed and commendable approach to F2P in the current climate.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Finally some attention given to the lack of science vessels for the KDF and RR factions.

The introduction of the Phoenix Pack which had two benefits:
    #1 - Given an opportunity for players to acquire ships and gear from events.
    #2 - Removed excess Dil from the economy which lowered the Dil to Zen exchange rate.

Updating old missions to include voice acting.

Introducing Lighting 2.0. It is not perfect, but it is a step in the right direction. Cryptic just needs to improve it over time.

Introducing the AoY expansion for those players that prefer the TOS theme over subsequent series. Also, introduced the T6 Constitution ship, though in a lock box.
  • Options
    kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    I like the customization in this game. There are so many ways to customize the look of your character and bridge officers. I also love all the different traits you can use, as well as all the different equipment and gear available to put on your ship and crew. It's fun trying to collect them all.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Some positive things? Okay, I'll try.

1) Star Trek Online is not in lockstep with "canon". Which is a heavily overused and very tired word around here.
    If I want a ship or Away Team which is "Just like in the show!", I can have it. But it is not essential nor is it required.

2) Star Trek Online is not in lockstep with the alleged "Holy Trinty" of MMOs.
    My SciGuy can DPS just as hard and as well as my Shooter. My SciGuy is the one who got the DPS Leagues Invite, lol.

3) For US $20.00, I can have a helluva good time on the weekends.
    Sure, some of the C-Store ships are a bit pricey, but I have the option to earn Zen ingame to flesh out my purchase power.

4) I prefer playing tlh'Ingan rather than Fed and I can do so with a full and enjoyable game experience.
    I may not have as many options as a Fed player but I have a lot more now than I did in February 2012.

5) The Foundry. Ingame missions designed by Star Trek fans for Star Trek fans. 'Nuff said about this.

6) I have met others from around the globe who are good people and big Star Trek nerds. Just like I am.
    Some of them let me into the Science Channel and then let me join their Fleet.

7) The Science Channel. For allowing me to express my inner Sheldon Cooper without fear of retribution or ridicule.

8) Tony Todd's VO work for General Rodek. Three words: Frakkin' CRUSHED it!

9) The Ground map for Of Signs and Portents. Large, Lush and severely overdone in the nicest possible way.

10) Lastly, the Ground maps for Bajor and MU Bajor. I've no idea why I like them. I just do. I go to Bajor quite a bit lately.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    -The ship designs. I mean my god. STO have outdone themselves with how well they have designed ships in this game.
    - Missions. Yeah a bit tedious, but the story is quite strong and some of the best around.
    - Customization. On every level is far and away better than most games. I mean down to the detail you can get on the character customization is astounding.
    - Amount of ships. Yes this game is heavily focused more on Starfleet, and the amount of "hero" ships you can play is far and away amazing. Every ship from every show is readily available and being able to fly my own personal Defiant and make her strong enough to rip battleships apart is tickling.

STO does do some really good things. They could stand to do more, but they do a lot of amazing work. By far the ships are just beautiful to look at and you can spend hours just admiring the work put into them.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    The thing that I really enjoy is being able to take boffs with me on missions and ground Bzs. Bugged with pathing issues aside, this is what I enjoy the most as far as actually playing the game. They nailed it for me with this one.

Behind the scenes, I also enjoy the amount if customization we have with our character and with Boffs. Yes, I wish we had more in this area, but still, there's not many games that have the level of customization we enjoy here.

Ships, most definitely! We have many iconic ships from the movies and shows that we have access to, along with some customization options.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    In my option STO did pretty much everything well, not perfect but well. The only big, ugly exception here was the Delta Rising release.

Increasing the progression curve by a factor of 10 and decreasing the player’s ability to progress at all was quiet a turn off.

I guess cryptic learned from that mistake since every release after DR made the game more enjoyable again.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    jiralinriajiralinria Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Nice idea to say what is right, the haters are taking way too much space in the forums.

Sooo, first of all I really like the customization options for almost everything in the game. Character looks, skills, abilities, what ship you fly (regardless of profession), weapons, armor. Just awesome to have so many options to fit your own ideas.

Then the episodes. I love all of the episodes, wish there were more :D

And last but not least, the Foundry, which I personally think is the most awesome thing STO offers.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I like the lockboxes
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    There really is no other game like it. F2P, sci fi, mmo with space and ground combat? This is about it.

And yes, the hater's really do need to get over themselves a bit.
    Here's an analogy. I invite you over to my house for a party, you don't have to bring anything just your good looks.
    I hear you in the other room telling all my friends how worthless I am, can't do anything right, lazy, and stupid.
    Would I still consider you my friend? Encourage me to be nice to you or do a better job?

I know Cryptic has business motives but I think you get the idea.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Ship combat is still really good, if you can look past the powercreep and distasteful f2p additions.

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Took em a while but given the recent ship release announcement along with aux weapons for Romulan and KDF versions. I'll start saying that by balancing out ship offerings they're doing something right because it could help grow other factions more with the investment needed to provide for those factions. It should have happened sooner but at least it's happening now and hopefully will continue to be a norm.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User

This is actually really huge. (And speaking on behalf of the people with more disposable income than time, I appreciate all you guys slaving away in the dil mines whenever I'm a little short upgrading something. :) )

Customization, in terms of skill-sets and in terms of avatar appearance are fantastic in STO. The game has also improved significantly in terms of mechancis and mission play since initial release, and that shows no sign of ending.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    painfullylargepainfullylarge Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    The best part of STO for me is expanding the storylines of the Trek universe. Tying together things that were only lightly touched upon in the shows. Iconians are a good example of this. Star Trek II did this with KNS, and it worked great. STO can do the same thing with any thing from Mudd to Charlie X to Garth of Izar to Col Green. And using Daniels extensively is a great substitute for never seeing Assignment: Earth come to fruition.

STO does have some ongoing issues--but it is the tapestries of story that make it (mostly) worthwhile. As a Trek fan, I submit that this is what Cryptic should remain mindful of when it releases new content.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Space Combat, it's really the only thing that keeps me playing
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    What has STO given me? Opportunities to make new friends, to enjoy the game with, to interact, roleplay, and tell stories with. Opportunities to find my smile again.
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    I find the F2P model to be the best of any MMO that I have played.

The ship combat is the best of any of the 'vehicle' combat systems I've tried, although almost borders on 'too easy'.

Personally I actually like the ground combat/BOff system and think it is fairly well done.

Even though 'DPS all the way' is pretty much the standard approach (as in most games), there are so many different ways to achieve it in STO that it's quite interesting.

I feel that STO also has a very good range of options for achieving 'end game' capable gear and upgrades (pay, grind, event, trade, etc etc)

Foundry, of course, when it's working, is an excellent and unusual addition to the game.

Finally, the storyline development, voice acting, and integration of new gear/ships/reputations/objectives with the overall story is quite well done. A lot of games some of that stuff just feels 'tacked on' but for the most part STO ties it all together fairly well.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Bumpin' this thread back to the front page where it belongs.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Bumpin' this thread back to the front page where it belongs.

Kind of disappointing that this thread has been overlooked.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I'd say the boff skill revamp was a resounding success; as was the new personal skill system (despite the fact that I really dreaded the latter). And Lighting 2.0 turns out to be a huge plus too.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    1) The F2P model is pretty much the best in any mmo I've seen. You can get anything you want with a little effort and the devs even give away ample freebies each year to keep even the really casual players in good standing gear/ship/outfit wise.

2) The customisation in game is huge, one of the best I've seen for a long while. There are still issues like restricted palettes and the like but overall the ship and character customisation is pretty darn great. And everyone knows space barbie is the true end game anyway!

3) The space combat is pretty great even for an old and struggling engine. Compared to the likes of EVE with it's mind boggling ui and other games with more scripted combat interactions STO is miles above the rest. The combat is quite intense but intuitive as to how it works. Fairly easy for casuals to pick up but with enough depth for the number crunchers and min-maxers to get their teeth in to.

4) Expanding on the show/movie storylines to add to the whole universe but also still providing unique storylines and plots.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    They gave me a Tier 6 Akira, Sovereign, Galaxy and Nebula Class.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Map design ... I love the maps cryptic have designed.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Impressive the way they have managed to implement gambling into the game. Putting most of the best ships in lockboxes and other promotional packs and have the player's accept this gambling game. This isn't a slight...it's really impressive. Nice way to fund the game and keep it free to play.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    khurzkhurz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I just wanted to add, I tried the game in 2013, and it really didn't grab me. I just started playing it a week ago and was so impressed with the changes that I decided to go Lifetime.

The ground missions could use some work, and I really wish the space battles were more 3 dimensional instead of planed (other than that the space combat is awesome), but the stories are fantastic. I love the little details added (like Torres/Paris' kid).
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User

It features one of the most player-friendly F2P models currently available. With the exception of most LTS features, the things that can be unlocked with wallet monies can also be unlocked with space monies. This is truly a welcomed and commendable approach to F2P in the current climate.

This...I logged into SWTOR for the first time in 3 years to check out the changes and it is still terrible. Even their Command system they just unveiled is worse for alts than even when DR was released. Cryptic at least adds systems to make it more alt friendly (Admiralty, DoFF and Weekly rewards). Not tomention you know exactly what you need to do for a piece rep gear. One gentlemen ground all 300 levels of command and still did not have a complete Raid suit in SWTOR.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Without singling out anything in particular, for me the best part about STO is that it really feels like you're commanding a starship, with crew, officers, shuttles and all that, and yet it's still a straightforward MMORPG at its core.