test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

m12 vr rep gear: upgrade or redo to get mk13 ur?

I have a number of mk12 rep gear already... with AOY rep bonus... I can now get mk13 UR gear... do I upgrade the mk12s or re do the rep gear assignments?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,523 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    The odds of going from VR to UR are very low, and the most you can increase in rarity is 1 level per mark upgrade. (You can't jump straight from VR to Epic.)

So if you can stand the marks grind, re-buying as MK XIII UR any gear you'll actually use makes sense. Otherwise you'll need to spend stacks of tech upgrades and mountains of dil at Mark XIV to re-try over and over.
  • Options
    bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    Rep gear is some of the most expensive to upgrade in the game. You would be much better off spending the 32k for a guaranteed UR, than trying to roll that RNG and watch your life savings burn up. Some of those can cost upwards of 100-200k or more in dil alone, plus all those tech upgrades.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    I have a number of mk12 rep gear already... with AOY rep bonus... I can now get mk13 UR gear... do I upgrade the mk12s or re do the rep gear assignments?

Thoughts?

Rebuy it as a Mk XIII UR, IMO, if your goal is getting it to Mk XIV Epic.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I have tons of pre-existing Mk XII VR reputation equipment from before I completed the AOY task so that all rep projects grant Mk XIII UR.

Upgrading reputation gear with the goal of Epic is no guarantee. Getting to Mk XIV isn't the problem from Mk XII VR. It's raising the rarity level from VR->UR->Epic. Reputation gear is the absolute worst to do that with.

Unless you're a high roller with tons and tons of resources and dil to simply throw at a piece of reputation gear to get to Mk XIV Epic, or one of the lucky ones with Key Ring Upgrades, then by all means do it. But realistically, just getting VR to UR quality is going to be so expensive with rep gear, I think it is worth the "tax" to rebuy the rep item as Mk XIII UR. You are both one step closer to Mk XIV as well as Epic. And buying the rep item is guaranteed to get you that quality and mark upgrade. It's going to be expensive either way.

Even with doing all your upgrade tricks to get as high a chance to upgrade as possible like Rare quality Research Catalyst, even using Omega Upgrades, the chances of rarity upgrade for Rep Gear at Mk XII VR are low and the resets when you get to Mk XIII and again at Mk XIV are a killer.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    Bite the bullet. Re-buy the rep gear its much cheaper.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I'll be using Omega upgrades thou... no dil cost. And during upgrade bonus week ends...
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I'll be using Omega upgrades thou... no dil cost. And during upgrade bonus week ends...

Doesn't matter, your Rarity upgrade chances will still suck, even using Omega Upgrades + Rare Research Catalysts. Yes, you'll get to Mk XIV easy still, but your Rarity upgrade chances will not be good.

Unless you get really lucky, you'll find yourself with a Mk XIV VR rep item and left with the daunting task of upgrading it so many times just to get to UR, much less repeating the process for Epic.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

Doesn't matter, your Rarity upgrade chances will still suck, even using Omega Upgrades + Rare Research Catalysts. Yes, you'll get to Mk XIV easy still, but your Rarity upgrade chances will not be good.

Unless you get really lucky, you'll find yourself with a Mk XIV VR rep item and left with the daunting task of upgrading it so many times just to get to UR, much less repeating the process for Epic.

I see... does the upgrade chance start at 1% or is it higher? when it rolls over it just increases by 1% each time?
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User

VR-->UR base chance is 5% per attempt, quadrupled with Omega upgrades to 20%, doubled again to 40% if you use a rare booster with each upgrade. Assuming 40% succeeds, that's ~8 omega upgrades and 8 rare boosters per item you want to drive UV during an upgrade weekend. Thus, if you're using only Omega upgrades and have the resources to buy/make them in quantity, it's not too bad a way to push gear to higher quality. For me personally, it's easier to farm the marks and get 32k dil to skip straight to UV and saving however many 10's to 100's of millions of ec and hours of time to buy all the boosters and obtain all the omega upgrades.
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    angrybobh wrote: »
    Bite the bullet. Re-buy the rep gear its much cheaper.

Only true if you're considering the dil cost of applying superior or superior experimental upgrades, in which case getting the quality step upgrade from VR to UV is ~100k+ dil per item, more if you're unlucky.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I would re-buy.

While not a rep gear, I spent a lot of resources to upgrade the Solonae Deflector Mk XII to UR quality in the past. It did not happen until I pushed it to Mk XIV and I had to keep applying upgrade kits and research quality boosts until my chances of upgrading to UR quality was about 33% before the thing would upgrade. Tomorrow I will attempt to boost that to Epic quality.

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    aye - re-buy. getting that sweet UR gear is one of the kindest things cryptic has done for us.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    For reference....

It took me 98 Phoenix upgrades to push the 4-piece Iconian set to Mk XIV UR from Mk XII VR. No upgrade weekend, and maybe a few accelerators in there.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Unless you really like the Reputation equipment, then I wouldn't bother. Cryptic keeps on adding new Reputations so you will have a ton of new Ultra Rare Mk XIII equipment.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
  • Options
    One of my characters still has the Borg Set.

At Mk XI :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Re-buy, and use anything you can to boost your chances going from VR to Epic.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    I threw away any Reputation stuff that was Mk X or Mk XI a few years back. Two days later they announced the Item Upgrade System was coming. :'(
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    If you play on Normal or Advanced: Neither. Just keep the Mk XII VR and be fine with it.

Rep gear isn't even necessary for Advanced. None of my captains have any rep gear with the exception of a torpedo.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User

Shoveling the best resources available to you down a hole doesn't change that they end up at the bottom of a hole. Especially when you could pay the 32k dil for a guaranteed upgrade and then use those sweet, sweet omagas to start shooting for Epic.