Auto activation of skills for PC?

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    you're free to not use it.

If the sole argument pro auto-activation is that you can disable it, then I'd say you're making a bad case in favor of it. :)
    If the sole argument con auto-activation is that you don't want to use it, then I'd say you're making abad case against it. :)

Nope, doesn't work that way. If you want something new, then the onus is on YOU to make a compelling case in favor of it. So far, your only real argument has been that you can disable it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited February 2017

If the sole argument pro auto-activation is that you can disable it, then I'd say you're making a bad case in favor of it. :)
    If the sole argument con auto-activation is that you don't want to use it, then I'd say you're making abad case against it. :)

Nope, doesn't work that way. If you want something new, then the onus is on YOU to make a compelling case in favor of it. So far, your only real argument has been that you can disable it.
    I'm not going to repeat myself since you obviously haven't read what I've written anyway.

I have no reason to care about convincing you of anything.
  • Options
    trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User

I'd rather say thats the sole counterargument because for the moment being the only argument against giving that console autoactivation feature to PC listed in this thread is "I don't want because it will TRIBBLE my timings hurr durr"

personally I'm not sure how in the end it actually works for consoles but from how they described it in console launch dev blogs I think it could be nice thing to have for sure it could allow myself to stop erratically smashing all the buttons on keyboard playing keeping half of those things being activated in automated way

something casuals like me could use and some super-elite-pro-mega-deepsers wouldn't care abou because their perfect timings would got hurt.....

and could be sort of making stuff easier for devs because they could bring it alongside with new shiny console UI which could make overal stuff easier to handle with same UI on all versions....

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • Options
    trejgon wrote: »

I'd rather say thats the sole counterargument because for the moment being the only argument against giving that console autoactivation feature to PC listed in this thread is "I don't want because it will **** my timings hurr durr"

Nope; you fall into the same trap as warpangel. Auto-activation will severely mess up your timings. So, if you want it, you'll need to come up with a *very* good set of reasons why it should be implemented nonetheless. Otherwise it just remains an incredibly bad idea. Because when the only argument against messing up your timings is 'but you can disable it,' with no real pros in the basket, then all you really did is give a good reason not to implement it in the first place.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I'd rather say thats the sole counterargument because for the moment being the only argument against giving that console autoactivation feature to PC listed in this thread is "I don't want because it will **** my timings hurr durr"

Nope; you fall into the same trap as warpangel. Auto-activation will severely mess up your timings. So, if you want it, you'll need to come up with a *very* good set of reasons why it should be implemented nonetheless. Otherwise it just remains an incredibly bad idea. Because when the only argument against messing up your timings is 'but you can disable it,' with no real pros in the basket, then all you really did is give a good reason not to implement it in the first place.

But there are pros.

Most people don't use "optimal" timings. They barely use the powers they have in the first place. An easy to use interface to set up some trigggers once will achieve a lot more than the current keybind system or manual click system. It also gives people a chance to think about what triggers make sense.

You can still choose not to use the auto-triggers, but there will be pleny that will fare better with them, without increasing their workload beyond what they are willing to do.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    But there are pros.

Most people don't use "optimal" timings. They barely use the powers they have in the first place. An easy to use interface to set up some trigggers once will achieve a lot more than the current keybind system or manual click system. It also gives people a chance to think about what triggers make sense.

You can still choose not to use the auto-triggers, but there will be pleny that will fare better with them, without increasing their workload beyond what they are willing to do.
    I'm not for or against OPs idea since as I said I don't know how it is on consoles and am also not interested in consoles, but if PC players currently neglect or fail to use the existing tray activations, key binds, and manual toggles, making that somehow automated will impact those of us who do opt to use powers to match or anticipate various scenarios.

For example, if entering combat will trigger some team wide damage buff, that now greys out my own team-wide buff, harming every team member's performance for every stray little enemy probe that triggers red alert. If players neglect powers and timings, I'd rather them suffer for it and see first-hand a reason to improve, as opposed to automating it and surely breaking it for others and their own team.

Again, I'm not sure how such automation works, so feel free to correct my worry against its use on PCs where we have keyboards, mice, joysticks at our disposal to control everything quite well (nevermind the powers activation failure bug).
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User

1. They on't mess up my timings because there is nothing to mess up in the first place - I am blasting throught this game content by mashing every ability as soon as it gets of cd

2. Sets of reason why it should be implemented on PC: firstly it will inevitabily prolong the lifetime of my keyboard due to much less of mashing all aroudn keyboard, secondly it is already implemented on console version of the game, thridly it will allow me to reduce alot of cluttering UI because with abilities that I spam whenever of cd, and with healings that can be put into "when hp at XX%" all being relegaded to auto-cast formulas I could limit all of these things I'd like to control manually to 1 bar of abilities maybe 2 - not 5 as it is right now thirdly if you believe that your precious timings would be hurt while using this feature you can always opt out and keep your cluttering UI with all the ability bars and nervous checking the cd status of everything to manually relaunch it while I keep enjoying eyecandies of my ship doing things and only paying attention to those important skills.....

and the let us not forget that feature is already implemented for consoles so since they had time to reimplement the whole game for another platform they could easilly find time to reimplement their GUI features for us

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User

1. They on't mess up my timings because there is nothing to mess up in the first place - I am blasting throught this game content by mashing every ability as soon as it gets of cd

2. Sets of reason why it should be implemented on PC: firstly it will inevitabily prolong the lifetime of my keyboard due to much less of mashing all aroudn keyboard, secondly it is already implemented on console version of the game, thridly it will allow me to reduce alot of cluttering UI because with abilities that I spam whenever of cd, and with healings that can be put into "when hp at XX%" all being relegaded to auto-cast formulas I could limit all of these things I'd like to control manually to 1 bar of abilities maybe 2 - not 5 as it is right now thirdly if you believe that your precious timings would be hurt while using this feature you can always opt out and keep your cluttering UI with all the ability bars and nervous checking the cd status of everything to manually relaunch it while I keep enjoying eyecandies of my ship doing things and only paying attention to those important skills.....

and the let us not forget that feature is already implemented for consoles so since they had time to reimplement the whole game for another platform they could easilly find time to reimplement their GUI features for us

Meimeitoo is right. This game currently encourages enough lazy playing as it is (horrible ship default weapon loadouts pop immediately into my mind) and we really don't need Cryptic making another feature that basically promotes players to go and suck more.
    And as said before, players *have* the option to make all-on-spacebar keybinds already, should you wish to take that route. It's only a good thing there's no in-game "CLICK HERE" button for that.
  • Options
    necaradan666necaradan666 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    asuran14 wrote: »
    The only auto-fire/activation feature would be for ground weapons. It would be nice to have it function somewhat like the weapons in space with being able to right click on your weapon's main or secondary attack to make it auto-fire. I can see having the modules be manual activation, but the weapon firing for me would be nice to have the option to switch it to auto-fire (even if it were a feature of certain weapon types like the full-auto rifle.). This would mostly just free you up to focus on other things, as well as your module activation, since honestly firing your main weapon is not always something hugely important (if it does become that way you can switch back to manual-fire).

asuran.. ground weapons have auto-fire just like space weapons, just right click the firing mode you want to auto-fire and make sure to set how you want them to work in the options menu

• Options

Meimeitoo is right. This game currently encourages enough lazy playing as it is (horrible ship default weapon loadouts pop immediately into my mind) and we really don't need Cryptic making another feature that basically promotes players to go and suck more.
    And as said before, players *have* the option to make all-on-spacebar keybinds already, should you wish to take that route. It's only a good thing there's no in-game "CLICK HERE" button for that.
    In case you haven't noticed, the game is easy.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Except it doesn't promote them to suck more, it enables them to get better then they currently are. Not DPS charts good, but better than DPS bottom bad.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    So, lets recap what we have so far:

pro
    * Immersion as a commanding officer
    * Player convenience/QoL
    * Not requiring players to look up third-party documentation to set up
    * Reduction of spacebar wear
    * Potential for interesting new gameplay options customizing trigger conditions

con
    * DPS elitists complaining how lazy other players are because they don't bother to precisely time their actions for maximum DPS...in a game so easy you can completely roflstomp all popular content just by binding everyting to spacebar and mashing it until you win

I wonder which side is winning... B)
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

pro
    * * Reduction of spacebar wear

What the heck?!?!?!

Are people actually seriously considering dumbing this game down even more because their spacebar might wear out!?!?

Jesus......I have heard it all in these forums now. :D

SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    g0rb4gg0rb4g Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    I'd like it if I could set my bridge officer abilities to "auto fire" in the same manner as I can my my weapons. Manually activating Tactical Team, Attack Pattern Beta, Scatter Volley, Engineering Team and Science Team every 15 seconds, possibly Emergency Power to Weapons and Hazard Emitters every 30 seconds as well, is largely what screws up my positioning and timing of Captain/Trait/Reputation abilities. Admittedly I'd probably have an easier time if I flew a slower/less nimble ship, but I love my B'rel and am to stubborn not to fly her. For me, at least, it would make my gaming time more enjoyable.
  • Options
    lathaislathais Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

pro

What the heck?!?!?!

Are people actually seriously considering dumbing this game down even more because their spacebar might wear out!?!?

I don't know that it's really dumbing it down. It sounds more like what people are suggesting is something very similar to the Gambit System in FFXII. Would be pretty neat I think, though obviously instead of calling it Gambit System it could be called "Standing Orders." Makes total sense too. If I was captain of a Starship, I would tell my Tactical Officer, "As long as we are in Red Alert, keep TT1 operational at all times." From that point on, any time Red Alert goes up, TT1 is up, period.
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    [...]
    What the heck?!?!?!

Are people actually seriously considering dumbing this game down even more [...]

I would really like to see your video of doing the mission Fluid Dynamics on Elite without being dead once.

Hmm, and I thought the
    game so easy you can completely roflstomp all popular content just by binding everyting to spacebar and mashing it until you win
  • Options
    [...]
    What the heck?!?!?!

Are people actually seriously considering dumbing this game down even more [...]

I would really like to see your video of doing the mission Fluid Dynamics on Elite without being dead once.

I'm not quite sure what your point is here.
    I was pointing out the ridiculousness of people actually arguing in favour of dumbing the game down because their keyboard might wear out otherwise. And you came back with what......some sort of epeen contest?

Maybe i'm not bright enough to comprehend your wisdom in that post, or maybe i'm on about some that has noting to do with what you're suggesting? :p
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    lathaislathais Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    [...]
    What the heck?!?!?!

I'm not quite sure what your point is here.
    I was pointing out the ridiculousness of people actually arguing in favour of dumbing the game down because their keyboard might wear out otherwise. And you came back with what......some sort of epeen contest?

Maybe i'm not bright enough to comprehend your wisdom in that post, or maybe i'm on about some that has noting to do with what you're suggesting? :p

He was talking about the "even more" comment. So you obviously already think the game is too dumbed down or you would not have added even more. So he is asking for proof that the game is already dumbed down.
  • Options
    What I meant by being "dumbed down more" is that the game already is stupidly easy in most cases.
    Power creep is one major thing but a lot of the content only encourages player to pick some easy spam-ability route to success. It doesn't reward thinking outside the box, or being different. If anything that sort of thing just gets you less rewards as queues take longer, which nobody seems to enjoy.
    So it is being dumbed down in that it's being made more and more for the lowest ability players to cake-walk through elite content.

There are some challenges to be had i'll not deny that, you mentioned Fluid Dynamic on elite difficulty, or queues like Procyon 5 at elite, or doing any elite content with only T2 ships or half teams.
    But the vast majority of players just get spoon-fed or drawn to the "idiot-proof" playstyles that win the most rewards.

Adding in some crappy autofire for abilities on top of what exists for weapons would just turn off any thinking the majority of players did in the game. They'd all just pick cookie-cutter builds and fly in circles raking in rewards. It would be playing STO in the dumbest way possible.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    I would like the ability to auto-fire some abilities. Currently I don't use any macros, I just click the abilities I need to cycle and/or fire. With this playstyle I have absolute control of my ship but I also HAVE to control everything on my ship. This leads to paying a large portion of my attention to the skill tray instead of piloting or team chat. I would use auto fire for cycle abilities like EPTX and tac team and then focus more on what I need to do.

I don't think the auto fire stuff would dumb the game down anymore than it already is. As said, the game is very easy and if you have ever played more than about 10 pugs of any queue on any difficulty you know what kind of idiocy you can encounter. Auto fire or no some people would not get any better. Besides, I'm not so concerned about what other people would do with it, I'm concerned about what I would do with it. And, if it does not affect anyone's playstyle that does not want it to, where's the problem with adding features?
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Macro keyboards, auto activation, 10-deep keybinds, all crutches for the weak.

A real space warrior manually clicks the skills from the tray.

;)
  • Options

pro

What the heck?!?!?!

Congratulations on skillfully ignoring the point in favor of throwing an absurd exclamation at a humorous line quoted out of context.

Personally I don't see how not mashing the spacebar would "dumb down" anything. If anything, properly implemented trigger customization would add much welcome tactical intelligence to the usually boring task of setting up your automation.
    I was pointing out the ridiculousness of people actually arguing in favour of dumbing the game down because their keyboard might wear out otherwise.
    The only ridiculousness is you suggesting that being required to continually mash the spacebar to automate your actions is something this game actually needs.
    What I meant by being "dumbed down more" is that the game already is stupidly easy in most cases.
    Power creep is one major thing but a lot of the content only encourages player to pick some easy spam-ability route to success. It doesn't reward thinking outside the box, or being different. If anything that sort of thing just gets you less rewards as queues take longer, which nobody seems to enjoy.
    So it is being dumbed down in that it's being made more and more for the lowest ability players to cake-walk through elite content.

There are some challenges to be had i'll not deny that, you mentioned Fluid Dynamic on elite difficulty, or queues like Procyon 5 at elite, or doing any elite content with only T2 ships or half teams.
    But the vast majority of players just get spoon-fed or drawn to the "idiot-proof" playstyles that win the most rewards.

Adding in some crappy autofire for abilities on top of what exists for weapons would just turn off any thinking the majority of players did in the game. They'd all just pick cookie-cutter builds and fly in circles raking in rewards. It would be playing STO in the dumbest way possible.
    There already is "some crappy autofire for abilities" and people use it all the time. We want to replace it with something less crappy.

And players always have and always will go where their efforts are best rewarded. That the reward structure in STO rewards the easiest and fastest content more than anything else is unfortunate, but completely off-topic.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    m not quite sure what your point is here.
    I was pointing out the ridiculousness of people actually arguing in favor of dumbing the game down because their keyboard might wear out otherwise.

No, you were latching on to the single weakest point in a whole range of reasons because you couldn't find better arguments to give... Believe me, the pressure to allow us to set standing orders doesn't hinge on "ermagerd, the most basic of all macros puts everything on one key..."

The game already allows macroing. Putting THAT directly into the UI would be a move toward parity between all players. Putting some actual trigger-response 'Standing orders" into the game would undo a lot of the foolishness we endure of this game not having toggles because 7+ years ago somebody thought "mashing the maximum number of buttons" was the secret to player engagement to the point where you have multiple button presses to pick up a piece of vendor trash as a default.

It would also offset some issue of simply bad UI presentation. One of the possible settings described when the console UI was being revealed was allowing you to set your condition cleanses to automatically fire if you received the relevant condition type and the ability wasn't already on cooldown. Which would be brilliant considering the game is terrible at conveying status information with a single bloated buff and debuff bar bar that jumps and twitches like a dying fish because everything is an incredibly short duration effect on a dynamic stack.

People say players wanting it are "lazy". I say it was appallingly lazy design to try and make gameplay hinge on tedious repletion of basic tasks...
  • Options
    nikeix wrote: »
    People say players wanting it are "lazy". I say it was appallingly lazy design to try and make gameplay hinge on tedious repletion of basic tasks...

Ay, therein lies the rub! Because activation of abilities is not meant to be a 'tedious repletion [repetition?] of basic tasks.' Rather, their activation is supposed to require proper timing, by the player, who understands what to activate when. The fact that the game lets you get away with just mindless 'spacebarring' is a side-effect, if you will, of the power creep (even if it means you're cutting your own DPS in half that way), but it's by no means clever to try and automate such inherently self-desctructive behavior. Like I read people are putting APA on their spacebar. Yep, you obviously get away with doing such a wasteful thing, but that's their choice: it would really be sad if the game started making such choices for you.

P.S. I would be in a favor of an extended macro language, though, the kind that let's you define conditionals for activation. That might actually be wickedly cool, but it would still be the player who defines the conditions.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    To sum up:

If you want to automate your powers, then do so.
    You already have those options in the game, if you are PC.
    Not doing so, means:
    1. You don't know how (or)
    2. You are too lazy to try.
    Once you get past those two scenerios, you'll understand the problems with automatic automation of skills, etc., since you'll find you can't really do anything, unless you can 'mash buttons' when you want to.

If you are console? To bad... I'm not even going there.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    kelador wrote: »
    Google STO Keybind Application thats what most people use who want to use macro/keybinds, To be honest the auto execute on the console is handy as the console UI is a pain to use during combat but its also not the best thing in the world.. As timing your abilities is important and auto excute doesn't teach new players that.

that's all very well for some players but for others especially new players & players who don't get what's best when this feature would be a welcome addition, obviously there would be an option in the settings to enable and disable the feature for players like yourself who understand the intricacies of combat better.

I have been playing for some years and still don't get what's best when, I just click away blindly and hope I might hit something that's useful so this would definitely be a helpful option for me.

not to say I don't enjoy the game as it is but there are just too many abilities for an old codger like me to comprehend and the addition of this option would certainly be a vast improvement for me.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    To sum up:

If you want to automate your powers, then do so.
    You already have those options in the game, if you are PC.
    Not doing so, means:
    1. You don't know how (or)
    2. You are too lazy to try.
    Once you get past those two scenerios, you'll understand the problems with automatic automation of skills, etc., since you'll find you can't really do anything, unless you can 'mash buttons' when you want to.

If you are console? To bad... I'm not even going there.

Not learning to code macros - a function completely unsupported by the game's own UI is NOT being lazy. Its a skill set that SHOULD be completely unrelated to your performance in what is largely an arcade-like shoot-em-up. They've already gone to the trouble of building an automation/standing order UI. It'd be darn nice of them to make it available... Further, that UI they built has triggers your precious "of course you should be able to code"'s hidden functionality doesn't have. Macros and standing orders are NOT the same thing.