test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    good question...the only blood i can clearly recall seeing is what shows up when bluegulls explode in showers of blood, guts and bug juice​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    arliekkosarliekkos Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    You want blood? Check your ears as you are lulled into madness by "Kurland here."
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    The Klingons drank it all in their bloodwine during the first season.
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Just off the top of my head I recall there being blood on the floor during one of the Dyson Sphere story missions.
    Worf comments on it if memory serves.
    Im sure there are more, but that's the only one that springs to mind immediately.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    There's a scene in one of the DQ missions where a Vaadwaur's chest gets torn to pieces by one of those bugs.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Really depends on whether or not the listing is a more recent change. As a lot of stuff isn't the same as it was during the first season, I'd say that the rating is most likely due to something that was in effect during year one.

Also, that rating? For blood and violence? It can mean something as simple as someone getting a slap across the face. Since we blow up or disintegrate the enemies, it qualified for the rating. It doesn't take much. Any time guns or explosives are involved, you pretty much get that one as part of the list of ratings they hit the game with. Doesn't matter if there are no body parts sticking to the walls and slithering across the floor, the game still gets it.

There are even some every day words that can cause it to get stuck with an M rating due to profanity, just as an example.

Stupid, yes. But it's how ratings work.
    Cryptic doesn't set that.

It also depends on what year the rating was set. It changes from year to year as to what qualifies for what.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Welcome to the stupidity of game ratings.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    There was a game that came out to console about 4 years ago, I think. It was something simple for a younger audience. They hit it with an Adult Only listing and nearly killed it. Can't remember the game (never played it), but I do remember the issue running across the development industry for nearly a year and a half afterwards.

Almost as bad as what people in the comic industry have to deal with. Did you know that you can't legally sell an illustrated work unless it is completely covered by an opaque material, such as heavy packaging brown paper in the US? I completely lost it when that was enacted. Couldn't even give a happy face sketch to anyone.

REALLY stupid things like this happen A LOT, especially with multimedia and publishing. :|
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    They will censor "blood and violence" in a harmless MMO like STO, yet they won't censor idiotic reality shows where X can be seen making it out with Y on TV, while your kids are watching... Welcome to the 21st Century of Homo Sapiens Cretinus.
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    The Gorn bite attack draws blood splatter. As far as I know, it is the only attack in the game to do so.
  • Options
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    There was a game that came out to console about 4 years ago, I think. It was something simple for a younger audience. They hit it with an Adult Only listing and nearly killed it. Can't remember the game (never played it), but I do remember the issue running across the development industry for nearly a year and a half afterwards.

Almost as bad as what people in the comic industry have to deal with. Did you know that you can't legally sell an illustrated work unless it is completely covered by an opaque material, such as heavy packaging brown paper in the US? I completely lost it when that was enacted. Couldn't even give a happy face sketch to anyone.

REALLY stupid things like this happen A LOT, especially with multimedia and publishing. :|

they wanna rule you like a king....but worse.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    Never been missing blood and what not tbh, pew pew is all that matters!!
  • Options
    lathaislathais Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    ashstorm1 wrote: »
    They will censor "blood and violence" in a harmless MMO like STO, yet they won't censor idiotic reality shows where X can be seen making it out with Y on TV, while your kids are watching... Welcome to the 21st Century of Homo Sapiens Cretinus.

The thing is, those TV shows are normally rated PG-13 and you can even show R rated stuff after a certain time on certain channels. The thing is, it's a rating, not censoring. It's there so a parent can look at the rating and then decide whether their kid should be able to watch it or not. It's not the rating committee's fault, or anyone else's, if a parent let's their kid watch that stuff. It's the parent's for not checking the rating or previewing it before letting their child watch it. In my house, until my daughter goes upstairs to take a bath, only certain things are allowed to be on the TV.

It's really the same with games. I know some parents who will buy their 8-10 year old kids games rated M without even looking at it or knowing a damn thing about it. Like say, GTAV. I won't play that game at all while my daughter is around, much less let her play it.

In short, it's not the networks fault for not censoring stuff kids shouldn't see. That's up to the parents.
  • Options
    lathais wrote: »

The thing is, those TV shows are normally rated PG-13 and you can even show R rated stuff after a certain time on certain channels. The thing is, it's a rating, not censoring. It's there so a parent can look at the rating and then decide whether their kid should be able to watch it or not. It's not the rating committee's fault, or anyone else's, if a parent let's their kid watch that stuff. It's the parent's for not checking the rating or previewing it before letting their child watch it. In my house, until my daughter goes upstairs to take a bath, only certain things are allowed to be on the TV.

It's really the same with games. I know some parents who will buy their 8-10 year old kids games rated M without even looking at it or knowing a damn thing about it. Like say, GTAV. I won't play that game at all while my daughter is around, much less let her play it.

In short, it's not the networks fault for not censoring stuff kids shouldn't see. That's up to the parents.

Well, growing up....I saw r rated movies, watched animes (which make some r rated movies look tame in comparison), played violent games, listened to music with 'explicit lyrics' and played with toy guns that actually looked like guns.....and I've yet to blow up shopping malls, I never machine gunned school, and so on. The idea that it's gonna make someone guy crazy is baloney.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Well, growing up....I saw r rated movies, watched animes (which make some r rated movies look tame in comparison), played violent games, listened to music with 'explicit lyrics' and played with toy guns that actually looked like guns.....and I've yet to blow up shopping malls, I never machine gunned school, and so on. The idea that it's gonna make someone guy crazy is baloney.

All true, but my daughter is 6. Don't want her having nightmares. When she's a little older and we've talked to her about stuff, that's a different story. Actually, really, now that she is 6(almost 7 really), we've relaxed quite a bit what we will and won't do around her. I still think a game like GTAV is a bit much, mainly due to all the cursing involved. Also things like The Walking Dead, would likely still give her nightmares.

The point was still that it's not the game maker's or the TV Networks job to stop your kids from seeing stuff. It's just their job to let you know what the ratings are so you can make the decision yourself. If you want to let your kids watch R Rated stuff and play M Rated games, that's fine, that's entirely up to you, it's your choice.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    This from Memory Alpha website: The River of Blood in Klingon mythology surrounds the realm of Sto-vo-kor. According to that mythology, warriors who have lived and died with honor will cross this river on their way to Sto-vo-kor. (TNG: "The Icarus Factor"; DS9: "Sons of Mogh")

Join River of Blood!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Game ratings serve a dual purpose:
    1. To counter the silly misconception that all videogames are kids' toys, thus allowing the segment of the population that's otherwise too old to buy them for themselves but too young to pretend it's for their kids to buy them.
    2. To deflect lawsuits from stupid people and their inevitable "think of the children" -dumbgasms.

Both of these purposes inevitably lead to ratings being cranked way up just because.

An intelligent person doesn't need a committee of prudes to decide if an entertainment product is appropriate for their kids. They can do it themselves.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    Game ratings serve a dual purpose:
    1. To counter the silly misconception that all videogames are kids' toys, thus allowing the segment of the population that's otherwise too old to buy them for themselves but too young to pretend it's for their kids to buy them.
    2. To deflect lawsuits from stupid people and their inevitable "think of the children" -dumbgasms.

Both of these purposes inevitably lead to ratings being cranked way up just because.

An intelligent person doesn't need a committee of prudes to decide if an entertainment product is appropriate for their kids. They can do it themselves.

I also agree with this. I kinda wish ratings were what they should have been designed to be from the start. Just a way to let people know what is in something before they let their kids watch it. Problem is, some people are never happy with the system and want to see it changed to what they want, instead of just looking at it and making a decision based on the info available, they have to complain about every little thing. In reality, it should not be their job to censor, just to inform.
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User

They don't call them "parental advisory" warnings for nothing. They're designed to do exactly what you are using them for, to inform parents of more explicit or adult content in various forms of entertainment. So few parents actually pay any attention to them, and I doubt most even realize that games have these "ratings", since they think video games are for kids (it's the same mentality that most "adults" apply to comic books - which is why comics are pretty much ignored by adults in the U.S., while in Japan it's common to see men in business suits reading manga and comics in public - but that's a whole 'nother rant)

I've got a friend who allows his kids to play "M" rated games and watch most "R" rated films. But usually he's right there with them watching or playing the content, so that he can answer any questions that they might have about things that come up, or explain to them the nature of entertainment and the difference between fantasy and reality. He's got a 9 year old that he's raised this way, but he's also got two older kids in their 20's that are some of the most well adjusted, honest and kind people I know. Mainly because he did his best to remove the cultural stigma that surrounds sex and nudity - and even violence as escapism - in western culture, mainly in the U.S.

But as to the OP's question - to get back on topic - I can't really recall much blood, but the "violence" is extremely prevalent in STO. I believe it was in the recent Livestream where one of the developers mentions jokingly that there's more violence in some of the story arcs in STO than in all of the Star Trek shows and movies combined. (I'm paraphrasing). It may be "sci-fi violence" but it's still violence, hence the rating.
  • Options

They don't call them "parental advisory" warnings for nothing. They're designed to do exactly what you are using them for, to inform parents of more explicit or adult content in various forms of entertainment. So few parents actually pay any attention to them, and I doubt most even realize that games have these "ratings", since they think video games are for kids (it's the same mentality that most "adults" apply to comic books - which is why comics are pretty much ignored by adults in the U.S., while in Japan it's common to see men in business suits reading manga and comics in public - but that's a whole 'nother rant)

I've got a friend who allows his kids to play "M" rated games and watch most "R" rated films. But usually he's right there with them watching or playing the content, so that he can answer any questions that they might have about things that come up, or explain to them the nature of entertainment and the difference between fantasy and reality. He's got a 9 year old that he's raised this way, but he's also got two older kids in their 20's that are some of the most well adjusted, honest and kind people I know. Mainly because he did his best to remove the cultural stigma that surrounds sex and nudity - and even violence as escapism - in western culture, mainly in the U.S.

But as to the OP's question - to get back on topic - I can't really recall much blood, but the "violence" is extremely prevalent in STO. I believe it was in the recent Livestream where one of the developers mentions jokingly that there's more violence in some of the story arcs in STO than in all of the Star Trek shows and movies combined. (I'm paraphrasing). It may be "sci-fi violence" but it's still violence, hence the rating.

Exactly as I said. The intent is not to censor, merely to inform. This way, if I am going to watch a movie or play a game with my daughter, I can look at the ratings, know what may come up ahead of time and prepare to answer the questions that will likely arise. Just because something is rated R or M, that does not mean I am not going to let my daughter watch it at all, it just means that I may want to watch it or play it first without her around to know what it is I need to tell her ahead of time or teach her afterwards. That's all. It's not censorship as some people seem to think, it's just informative.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    there's a few maps that have baked in splatter as part of the geo. It's not usually all that significant though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options

Exactly as I said. The intent is not to censor, merely to inform. This way, if I am going to watch a movie or play a game with my daughter, I can look at the ratings, know what may come up ahead of time and prepare to answer the questions that will likely arise. Just because something is rated R or M, that does not mean I am not going to let my daughter watch it at all, it just means that I may want to watch it or play it first without her around to know what it is I need to tell her ahead of time or teach her afterwards. That's all. It's not censorship as some people seem to think, it's just informative.
    Thing is, for an average person, "blood and violence" means the red stuff being visibly thrown about, people being severely beaten, graphic depiction of knife/sword/gunshot wounds, or something like that.

For an average gamer, "blood and violence" means painting the walls.

But for an average rating committee, "blood and violence" means someone getting a nosebleed while playing laser tag. <--- STO belongs in this category
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Thing is, for an average person, "blood and violence" means the red stuff being visibly thrown about, people being severely beaten, graphic depiction of knife/sword/gunshot wounds, or something like that.

But for an average rating committee, "blood and violence" means someone getting a nosebleed while playing laser tag. <--- STO belongs in this category

I dunno. I consider blowing up ships full of thousands of other people to be pretty violent, therefore it falls under blood and violence. Just because you and other gamers consider blood and violence to mean heads getting ripped off and blood flying everywhere, that is nowhere near the actual definition of violence.

This is part of the reason why most people ignore these ratings. Their personal definitions of blood and violence(which really means Blood and/or Violence) vary from the definition used in the ratings. Are you really going to tell me that blowing ships with thousands of people on them is not violent though? If you are going to argue that, I suggest you look up the definition of violence and get in line with the rest of the world agrees on what the word really means, not what you think it means. You could also just do what I do and mostly ignore ratings and just make my own determination on whether or not it is ok for my child to watch. If you do that though, then don't complain about the ratings.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

I dunno. I consider blowing up ships full of thousands of other people to be pretty violent, therefore it falls under blood and violence. Just because you and other gamers consider blood and violence to mean heads getting ripped off and blood flying everywhere, that is nowhere near the actual definition of violence.
    A ship is an object. Whether you consider it to be "full of thousands of people" is a matter left to your imagination.

STO would likely be rated lower if it did not include ground combat.
  • Options

A ship is an object. Whether you consider it to be "full of thousands of people" is a matter left to your imagination.

But it's not left to my imagination. It's the Star Trek Universe and it's mentioned in the shows many times that ships are full of people. We also get hailed by and talk to the people on those ships before blowing them up sometimes. That's not my imagination saying that.
  • Options

But it's not left to my imagination. It's the Star Trek Universe and it's mentioned in the shows many times that ships are full of people. We also get hailed by and talk to the people on those ships before blowing them up sometimes. That's not my imagination saying that.
    Regardless, no violence against those hypothetical people is shown or otherwise depicted.
  • Options

Regardless, no violence against those hypothetical people is shown or otherwise depicted.

So I am right. You are saying that blowing ships up with thousands of people in them is not a violent act.
  • Options
    coolbatman wrote: »
    oh but blowing up borg drones with a shotgun or chopping them up with a sword is ok ???? not that i really care 1 way or the other ............ just putting my 2 cr in...

Not saying that is not violent as well. Not sure where you got that from.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Any video game developer that has had to deal with the game ratings people will tell you that they are incredibly pedantic, incredibly inconsistent, and predictably unreasonable with their findings.

Like any agency, it's never just one shadowy cabal of people who pass down judgement to all games simultaneously, it really depends on who you get assigned to your project. Sometimes they're easy to work with, and sometimes they're not.

The cannibal tribble biting you when you pet it and leaving the "Bleed" effect could be construed as "Blood", similarly the "Bite" attack for Gorn and other animals that attack you with claws and teeth and leave a bleed Damage over Time effect.

Then there's Bloodwine, the Bloodwine fountain on KDF starbases, and in First City. There's the blood you come across in some of the missions as environmental detail.

It's not exactly a horror movie slashfest, but then again those games typically have higher ratings than Teen, and consist of more than just "Blood and Violence".

But that's what the agency is there for, it's to look for reasons to censor your game. It's not there to be your friend, or to be reasonable. If I was pedantic enough, I could probably go through the game and find instances where there are way more offensive things that shouldn't be in a Teen-rated game. You see people like that on the forums every once in a while.

The House Pegh nontroversy was one of them.
    ExtxpTp.jpg