test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Protomatter

It seems with the throwaway line in the last FE and the abilities of the new Lukari ship, the presence of protomatter technology is a big part of their science.

We know from ST2:TWOK that protomatter is incredibly unstable (and the FE line actually references this and highlights the Lukari knowledge of being able to stabilise it).

So my question is this:

Given the fact that there is now a means to stabilise protomatter (potentially eliminating the controversy over its instability), and that there is the early workings of an alliance between the big three galactic powers (reducing the risk of political tension), could there be scope for Federation scientists to work with the Lukari, Romulans and Klingons to develop Genesis 2?

There's clearly a need for it - planetary devastation from the Iconian threat, the Romulan Republic could do with it in order to colonise currently uninhabitable worlds in their territory, not to mention the potential for each of the great powers to expand outwards in directions that don't encroach on their neighbours.

Aside from any plot point, I really would like to see us get a colony world as a fleet holding... or even better as a personal holding.

A personal holding would be better I think because it would be a good way to showcase things you had achieved as a player. You could have spawned versions of ship classes that your character has access to in game (so as an admiral, all your purchased and unlocked ships have the potential to show up... because as an admiral, that is where you fleet is stationed).

Your bridge officers could also randomly spawn on the planet when you transport down.

Comments

• Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Just because the Lukari can stabilise protomatter for some uses, doesn't mean they can do so for all uses. What if protomatter is inherently unstable when used in creating self-replicating DNA or RNA?

I think the idea of protomatter is that it's kind of like stem-cells for real matter, so it can become one form of matter or another really quickly: a lump of protomatter can easily be transformed into iron, or gold, or even alloys and combinations of elements without becoming radioactive. A form of matter that can be quickly altered to fit the elemental properties you need would be extremely useful. But what if the idea is that protomatter can't handle becoming living matter without spiraling out of control? What if it becomes cancerous and breaks down and eventually dies, becoming inert matter?
  • Options
    thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    coolbatman wrote: »
    perhaps if the genesis 2 device can be fixed to NOT create complex life, as the genesis 1 underground experament shows that plantlife can be created....the problem comes in with the fast growth rate.......

I don't think it was just to do with animal matter. Remember the only complex animal matter that interfered with the development of the planet were Spock's corpse (and all associated microscopic lifeforms attached to him), and the microbes that had coated the torpedo. Whatever was happening was also affecting the planet on a tectonic and geological level as well. I suspect it was the manner in which the Genesis wave was deployed (a weaponised detonation), that caused the planet and everything tied to it to develop at a dangerously exponential level... and that it was the subsequent revelation of banned substances being used to resolve fundamental flaws in the matrix combined with the subsequent political and scientific fallout (the Klingons were still milking it for mileage (courtesy of John Schuck's ambassador). at the end of ST4:TJH), that were the nails in its coffin.

its unfortunate that the actor that played 'david marcus' is deceased. it would've been interesting to have him or the actress that played 'carol marcus' (also deceased) do an in-game version of the original genesis video info graphic

They can always use Alice Eve (I certainly wouldn't object).

I actually think Genesis could/should be given a bit of love in the game. The devs have already mentioned that many players first exposure to Trek was the TOS movies.... and elements from the Genesis arc run through all but one of the classic movies. I did joke about having a Genesis device console on the STO Facebook page.... and of course that was completely in jest.

I definitely want a colony though (complete with doff/admiralty and development/defence missions)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The protomatter will probably be used to fix the Na'kuhl star, since the fixing of it has already been revealed in the time-travel blogs and protomatter is a known means to restart a star in canon.

But yeah, I def want a colony, too.
  • Options
    I just noticed something about project Genesis which is quite a nifty reference. The Regula planetoid caves were stage 2 of project Genesis. That means that technically speaking, the deployment of the actual device onto a planet (or in practice, forming a planet from nebula material), must have been stage 3 of the project.

And of course in the biblical narrative... Genesis chapter 3 is where the Fall of Man occurs. I wonder if that was a deliberate reference?
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Sadly I doubt they would ever properly allow anyone to have a project to redo Genesis as the weaponization potential is too high. That said the way Starfleet security works. Check the lab of some students on one of their ships. It is probably next to the volcano but before the open container of aggressive nanites and bubble of antimatter.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    With the Tzenkethi weapon, the whole "Genesis as WMD" angle is a moot point. After all, as soon as we figure out how the bomb works (and we will, because we need to as part of the war) there's no more need to meddle with Genesis if all we want to do is blow stuff up. Hell, we know how Thalaron weapons work too, among other potential planet killers. The only reason to pursue Genesis after having other, simpler and easier means of planet killing is if we're really interested in the life-generating instant terraforming aspects of the technology. There's no reason for our Klingon allies to object.

As to protomatter itself, I think of it as kind of "quantum flux" state of matter, like a plasma of virtual particles that can coalesce into virtually any form when the quantum wave state collapses. The trick of dealing with it, once you figure out how to generate the stuff, is to get it to coalesce into the form you want and to do so in a stable state not liable to break down into quarks and stuff at high energy --aka explooooooooooode.​​

No comment on what protomatter is. You and others seem to have similar theories and that make sense.

On the WMD point however. I still think genesis is something all parties will regulate out of existence. Because they don't want planet killers, thalaron bombs, etc all over the place. That this one makes a new viable world is worse. Imagine the tholians turning M class worlds into worlds they like? Imagine their horror that we might use it on their worlds to make them cold the way we humanoids do?

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    feiqa wrote: »
    With the Tzenkethi weapon, the whole "Genesis as WMD" angle is a moot point. After all, as soon as we figure out how the bomb works (and we will, because we need to as part of the war) there's no more need to meddle with Genesis if all we want to do is blow stuff up. Hell, we know how Thalaron weapons work too, among other potential planet killers. The only reason to pursue Genesis after having other, simpler and easier means of planet killing is if we're really interested in the life-generating instant terraforming aspects of the technology. There's no reason for our Klingon allies to object.

As to protomatter itself, I think of it as kind of "quantum flux" state of matter, like a plasma of virtual particles that can coalesce into virtually any form when the quantum wave state collapses. The trick of dealing with it, once you figure out how to generate the stuff, is to get it to coalesce into the form you want and to do so in a stable state not liable to break down into quarks and stuff at high energy --aka explooooooooooode.​​

No comment on what protomatter is. You and others seem to have similar theories and that make sense.

On the WMD point however. I still think genesis is something all parties will regulate out of existence. Because they don't want planet killers, thalaron bombs, etc all over the place. That this one makes a new viable world is worse. Imagine the tholians turning M class worlds into worlds they like? Imagine their horror that we might use it on their worlds to make them cold the way we humanoids do?
    Us romulans happily flying our thalaron weapons around would say otherwise. Canon has established starship weapons are quite capable of killing everyting on a planet in a short time anyway.

And science fiction cliches notwithstanding, going into hostile territory to terraform inhabited worlds is a stupid idea, when the universe is full of lifeless rocks that could be used without wasting resources on conflict.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

As to protomatter itself, I think of it as kind of "quantum flux" state of matter, like a plasma of virtual particles that can coalesce into virtually any form when the quantum wave state collapses. The trick of dealing with it, once you figure out how to generate the stuff, is to get it to coalesce into the form you want and to do so in a stable state not liable to break down into quarks and stuff at high energy --aka explooooooooooode.

Us romulans happily flying our thalaron weapons around would say otherwise. Canon has established starship weapons are quite capable of killing everyting on a planet in a short time anyway.

And science fiction cliches notwithstanding, going into hostile territory to terraform inhabited worlds is a stupid idea, when the universe is full of lifeless rocks that could be used without wasting resources on conflict.

There's less a pressure now on Genesis for the food production angle, as Carol Marcus stated was one of her motivations, now that replicators are a thing. Strategic basing was never a concern because that's done with starbases in orbit for the most part and something like a ground base is easily built under a shield dome and equipped with replicators. And as I stated above, all sides have better planet-killer WMDs so there's no point in developing something as complex and delicate as Genesis just to destroy worlds. The only use to developing it now is for its true original purpose, which is to bring dead worlds to life for the purpose of making homes for a civilian population.

So, where would one do this? Ideally, not outside safe borders because that overtaxes military resources to provide protection. Nor would worlds outside the habitable range from their sun, because without the proper amount of solar warmth (not too hot or too cold) the life Genesis creates won't last long. So it'd be ideal for worlds similar to Mars, planets in systems within solid and secured territory that are the proper distance from their star that they should be able to support life but are for whatever reason lifeless rocks.

What the Federation wouldn't do is waste time and resources building worlds in contested space and planting civilians there just for them to be put at risk. There's no chance the notoriously timid Federation council would approve any sort of aggressive expansion using the device, they have enough problems as it is with hostile forces without picking any unneccessary fights.​​

Season one TnG Home soil. Federation scientists terraforming a planet in a slow way. Why? They had already established they have replicators. So it isn't for food. Mining would not need a habitable surface. The only reasonable purpose I see is living area. So this lines up with your reasoning.
    My WMD issue is both appearance and those with less scruples than the federation. Again I am going to use tholians in my example. They are xenophobic, expansionistic, and at the mildest distrust humanoid life. During the quests on New Romulus you find they are planning to make the planet more habitable for themselves. But to a tholian New Romulus is as cold as Hoth and as poisonous as Venus to them. Why bother, to take the archeological finds for themselves and to inconvenience those that oppose them.
    If they had a genesis device they may have used it. (May because the whole recover artifacts thing is hard if the matrix turned the iconian statues into a teddy bears.) But all bets are off they would use it to secure border worlds and push back their enemies.

And all arguments about world killing weapons miss one scary issue. Thalaron weapons will burn a world and leave it lifeless and dead. And presumably irradiated. Orbital bombardments will be messy. But wipe the world clean and be able to just drop a base or colony of your own there. Why ever use the other methods at all?

• Options
    and if yer that genocidal just find a doomsday machine to set loose, there has to be a bunch of them out there...............

Yeah. Uhm so Kirk got one. B'vat a second and the Nak'hul a third. How many of those things are there?

• Options
    edited January 2017

Actually that's exactly how I used to play the space phase of Spore. Terraform bombing the TRIBBLE out of the Grox (who were in essence the Borg with the Tholian weakness of not being able to survive on a liveable planet).

Essentially the Prime Directive wouldn't allow it if there was life there... but technically the Federation shouldn't even be colonising any worlds that have even the most basic forms of life already present (because by definition, that affects the destiny of the planet and prevents its ecosystem and societies from evolving unhindered). Or maybe I'm overcooking the Prime Directive and it supposed to only apply to planets with sapient life.

*edit* I just noticed the expletive filter censored out an innocent descriptive for faecal matter (it wasn't the s-bomb). That seems way oversensitive. Here in the UK that wouldn't even be considered swearing... just an informal noun.
    Post edited by thelunarboy on
  • Options
    and if yer that genocidal just find a doomsday machine to set loose, there has to be a bunch of them out there...............

Yeah. Uhm so Kirk got one. B'vat a second and the Nak'hul a third. How many of those things are there?

Didn't someone create a Foundry mission with a system full of the giant cream rolls of death? Like they were spawning grounds?
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

depends... how many times have you run a certain STF??? seems to be an unlimited number
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Looking for a Doomsday machine? Try any dead areas of space with nothing in it. An asteroid field. Random time bubbles. Alternate universes. A Ferengi used ship dealer. The local movie theater. Lots of places to find one.
  • Options
    So what happens then? Do powers trade back and forth Genesis-bombing planets from one environment to another? Who the hell would move there knowing it's disputed territory and they'll be among the life that's zeroed to be reset when the next G-wave comes? What's the point? The Federation certainly wouldn't put citizens in harm's way like that and settling colonies in disputed territory during active hostilities is not something most other powers are dumb enough to attempt either. Genesis is thus rather useless as an offensive weapon or expansionist tool.

As a WMD, it sounds nice to clear and reset a world but practically it's not feasible. As I said above there's no point in settling a world until the territory is secure and that would have to wait until hostilities are basically over. So whatever WMD / planet killers that get used will be done to wipe out enemy forces or assets, with any Genesis rebuilding coming long later, after the dust is well settled.​​

That is part of the point. The Federation wouldn't use them that way. And when it was created by the Marcuses it had only peaceful intentions. And they wanted a totally dead not so much as a microbe planet in the goldilocks band for phase three. The morality for the design was aimed very high.
    Then an augment dictator took it. Then an aggressive Klingon captain came for it. How long till a group that can't understand the federation and its members at all sees it and decides it is the ultimate can of Raid?

The part about it leaves nice worlds behind to colonize. I don't mean the moment you launch the thing. But it can deny territory to your opponent while creating territory for you to claim. And that eco-'friendly' touch? Might salve a general's conscience enough that using them over conventional wmd's is preferable.

• Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    A genesis torpedo will never work. Planets are dead for a reason wither it's a lack of mass/magnetic field that lets the air escape gravity via the solar wind or other factors like being in a region of space that could strip away life with radiation. Suppose the device did get the dead worlds magnetic field started again? Whats to say it won't die out as quickly as before and you'd be back to a dying/dead world again.

Say a world is dying because it's star is getting older and not keeping the planet habitable. Torpedo the world all you like but it won't change the planets orbit to better suit the conditions you are going for.

Genesis is to impractical and to dangerous a technology to develop.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    nimbull wrote: »
    A genesis torpedo will never work. Planets are dead for a reason wither it's a lack of mass/magnetic field that lets the air escape gravity via the solar wind or other factors like being in a region of space that could strip away life with radiation. Suppose the device did get the dead worlds magnetic field started again? Whats to say it won't die out as quickly as before and you'd be back to a dying/dead world again.

Say a world is dying because it's star is getting older and not keeping the planet habitable. Torpedo the world all you like but it won't change the planets orbit to better suit the conditions you are going for.

Genesis is to impractical and to dangerous a technology to develop.

I could see it working as part of a larger project... with other advances in technology (namely the ability to move planets into Goldilocks zones... (something Neil deGrasse Tyson thinks might be possible if enough energy could be found)). I think realistically to move a planet, getting a whole fleet of starships probably wouldn't cut it. But I reckon something akin to the Dyson spheres could potentially be used as such a method.

In STO, they have the ability to jump around in space.... and seeing as they harness the entire energy of their respective stars, perhaps one could be engineered specifically for the purpose of planetary transportation (depending on the sphere size, perhaps having a ridiculously sized aperture that could encompass a planet and bring it into orbit around the star inside. Perhaps using the immense energy available from the star, the planet could actually use transporters to capture the planet (although granted that would probably become the sphere's sole purpose).

It is also entirely possible but likely very rare, that a star could capture a barren rogue planet or something akin to that (after all the whole plot of WOK kind of starts with the notion that a lush planet has had its orbit altered by the destruction of another planet).

Once a planet is deposited into a habitable zone, that's when Genesis comes in.

Isn't it kind of ironic and sad that the Genesis device could have been used on Ceti Alpha V, had Khan not abused it.
  • Options
    shahademshahadem Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Sadly I doubt they would ever properly allow anyone to have a project to redo Genesis as the weaponization potential is too high. That said the way Starfleet security works. Check the lab of some students on one of their ships. It is probably next to the volcano but before the open container of aggressive nanites and bubble of antimatter.

Even if you don't do the research someone else will. The Russians wouldn't have decided not to develop a nuclear weapon if the US had stopped its own development before building Fat Man. If the research has useful peaceful applications then you ought to carry it out as your refusal to conduct that research isn't stopping your enemies from conducting that research. It is only causing you to lose out on valuable technology.

I am guessing that protomatter is very much like an oversaturated solution. It can remain oversaturated and slowly reduce the mass of solute but in the presence of a catalyst the excess mass will quickly fall out of solution. Unexpected matter likely acts as a catalyst which causes the protomatter to quickly form around the unexpected particles instead of slowly forming normal matter.