test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do members of the Cryptic staff post in these forums?

If so, which forum should I post in to contact them?

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    There is no direct forum for such a thing.

I'm sure they read all and everything that is written here to get a better clue whats going on in thier own game but only care to reply to you when they see fit.

*Waves at Geko!*
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    They periodically pop in to give out specific information when the discussion is civil. They don't respond to vague "I want to talk to a dev" requests.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • observatorrobservatorr Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    I asked a question on the Federation Discussion forum 2 weeks ago, but it hasn't gotten any replies.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,450 Arc User
    Not if they can help it, but if they posted here more regularly, they should get Hazard Pay.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    It happens, generally when it is a technical question asked politely.

They won't (usually aren't allowed to) answer questions about un-announced features except in vague ways like "we've looked into that." So if your question was something like "when will feature X appear" they can't say.
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    Rarely happens. Only a couple are known to duck in from time to time to sort out some of the key game issues: such as with the confusion of how 2.0 was actually supposed to work and why everything looked weird.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Cryptic staff is far more active on the STO Reddit then they are here. If you're looking for a Dev response, you have better odds over there then here on the "Official Forum."

I do know though that @ambassadorkael#6946 does read this forum and occasionally answers questions. Best advice is try to ask your question in a polite way, many questions don't get directly answered if they start off in a hostile fashion. You could also try sending one of the staff members a private message, but they probably get a lot of those so be patient.

Lastly, if it's for an account or technical issue, then you might want to open a ticket using the Arc Support Page.

Best of luck to you.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    The OP asked for a 7 year infographic data about the game. The thread did not even make it to 10 replies.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    cidjack wrote: »
    The OP asked for a 7 year infographic data about the game. The thread did not even make it to 10 replies.

Ah, well then my guess is that this thread won't get much further either. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    cidjack wrote: »

Ah, well then my guess is that this thread won't get much further either. :)

I am sure we can get more than 10 replies for this thread.

A 7 year infographic will be announced in the very blog it's included, there will probably be no information about it before.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Actually, I was referring to this thread, which still hasn't gotten a reply from anyone.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Actually, I was referring to this thread, which still hasn't gotten a reply from anyone.
    That is certainly not the kind fo question you can expect a reply to, and if they'd reply to it, it would most likely be a "No".
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

How dare they?! :/
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    A "No" would still be better than nothing. I guess I'll try the Reddit.
    Can anyone tell me the usernames of the devs that post on Reddit, so I'll know who to look for? I already know about Borticus-Cryptic.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,450 Arc User
    I don't frequent Reddit, but when I do, I'm usually able to pick out the devs pretty easily. Not sure if it is because I've been around long enough to just know Tacofangs also goes by TumorBoy (and other such Dev-pseudonyms) or if I just look and see Cryptic/PWE in a name and read for context, or maybe a combination of both. Regardless, I'd say a lack of knowledge as to who's who over there is a symptom of a bigger issue: A lack of familiarity with the community.

Here's some advice you might have benefited from when first posting here: You are about to go insert yourself into that community, and if history here repeats itself, wonder aloud why you don't get the answer you want from the person you want it from. You owe it to that community, and to yourself, to familiarize yourself with them to not make a scene.

As to your question about renaming a character after one from a ST book: I suspect there are only two types of people who would care about such a thing: you, for headcanon reasons, and the book's author, for royalties reasons. So, unless they are going to go full in and use the book, I'm guessing the answer is "No, because Money."
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    I wasn't aware that I was making a scene. Yes, I'm unfamiliar with the community. That's why I'm asking questions.

There are no royalty issues. Cryptic doesn't have to pay any additional money to use character names from novels. Star Trek Online already uses some names from the novels such as Mackenzie Calhoun and Tiaru Jarok.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2017

They won't (usually aren't allowed to) answer questions about un-announced features except in vague ways like "we've looked into that." So if your question was something like "when will feature X appear" they can't say.

Yeah, this.

Edit: Re: Name Change
    Um. . . why? STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books. If the Defiant Captain had a name spoken aloud, or written visibly in the show, we would certainly use that. Short of that, it's unlikely. Yes, we CAN use things from the books, and have here and there, but there's nothing dictating we must, and we have often come up with our own stuff, even where the books might have done something different.

The people who would be involved in changing it would be our writer and our content designers. But again, that's unlikely without good cause.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
    edited January 2017
    azrael605 wrote: »
    OP you understand very little if you think Cryptic would not have to pay additional royalties. The author of those books would need to be paid, as would CBS, plus CBS would need to approve. Another factor, you mention the few novel characters left in STO, but I have a feeling you aren't aware of how many such characters have been removed from STO. Characters like Admiral Leonard James Akaar. Frankly at this point Calhoun is just a forgotten organ that serves no purpose, ie STO's appendix.

I understand more than you think. Every Star Trek novel character is completely owned by CBS and not by the authors, so Cryptic would not need to pay any additional royalties. Yes, CBS would need to approve, like they do with everything else. There hasn't been a single novel character who was removed from STO. Leonard James Akaar is not a novel character. He appeared as a baby in the episode Friday's Child. And I believe he can still be found at the Captain's Table (which is another thing that STO borrowed from the novels).
    tacofangs wrote: »

Yeah, this.

Um. . . why? STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books. If the Defiant Captain had a name spoken aloud, or written visibly in the show, we would certainly use that. Short of that, it's unlikely. Yes, we CAN use things from the books, and have here and there, but there's nothing dictating we must, and we have often come up with our own stuff, even where the books might have done something different.

The people who would be involved in changing it would be our writer and our content designers. But again, that's unlikely without good cause.

Just saw your reply. Thanks for the answer. I know STO has often gone in a different direction from the novels. I like STO's take on the Iconians and Tzenkethi better than the versions described in the novels.
    edited January 2017
    Leonard James Akaar is in multiple novels, especially the Typhon Pact series where he serves on the Excelsior with Tuvok.

I know he appeared in the novels. I meant that he didn't originate in the novels.

He served on the Excelsior with Tuvok in the Lost Era series. In the Typhon Pact series he was Commander-in-Chief of Starfleet.
    And yes they would have to make additional royalty payments, just look at the kerflufle over Nick Locarno who was planned to be in Voyager but the writers who created him wanted more money so instead we got Tom Paris (same actor though).

That only applies to TV and film writers, not novel writers.
    edited January 2017
    The rules about writers receiving payments for sequels and spinoffs are part of the Writers Guild of America Theatrical and Television Basic Agreement.

The Writers Guild of America only includes TV, film and radio writers. Novel writers are part of the International Association of Media Tie-In Writers, so they have entirely different contracts.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    The rules about writers receiving payments for sequels and spinoffs are part of the Writers Guild of America Theatrical and Television Basic Agreement.

The Writers Guild of America only includes TV, film and radio writers. Novel writers are part of the International Association of Media Tie-In Writers, so they have entirely different contracts.

77468496a1cc915f8bc51dd1161eeb3d.jpg
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    As I said before, Leonard James Akaar is NOT a novel character. He has appeared in novels but he originated on TV.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Um. . . why? STO isn't canon,
    I'll need to screen cap this quote for the threads that pop up weekly about STO being or not being "canon."
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.