test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Undiscovered Lockbox: No Movie Era Ships?

2»

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,248 Community Moderator
    T6 Miranda is about the only movie-era ship I could see them still needing to do. Give it a new skin, call it the Reliant class and let it use the T1 Miranda skins. :)

The only canon TMP Starfleet ships are the Constitution Refit, Miranda, Excelsior, and Oberth you are correct and of those, I don't see Oberth having much demand. Excelsior has a T6 (though some consider it sub-par), and Con-R can be had via applying the proper skin to the TOS Connie (though the TMP skin really needs to be updated to modern standards), so that's at least somewhat covered. Miranda could use an update to its canon skin as well along with a new T6 skin, as you say. So that covers canon.

Is that all that can be done, though? I say no. I mean, look at TOS. The only significant Starfleet ship in the series was the Constitution, and yet Cryptic's designers have managed to expand the design language to a number of original ship designs that are excellently made and have been quite well received by fans. There's no reason the talented ship designers couldn't do the same using the design aesthetic seen on the Constitution Refit and Miranda classes and give us some ships to flesh out the 2280s fleet the way they have that of the 2260s.

I hope they'll consider that soon.​​

Oh yeah! Sure! I'd love to see some original Cryptic designs done in the movie era style. I thought you were asking for canon ships, though, which is why I only mentioned the Miranda. Though, an Oberth would be welcome as well, even if it doesn't have much demand. Perhaps give a T6 Oberth the phase cloak that the USS Pegasus had. Maybe even call it the Pegasus class.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    it would be awesome if the Atlas had TMP parts.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    heavensrun wrote: »
    I wonder if somebody told the art staff "The original crew film era" and they just heard "TOS" and by the time anybody realized the mistake, assets had been made.

The Thrai warbird was made for AOY. The D9 probably fits in with that as well (though I can't recall it showing up in a mission.) The way I'd personally describe the lock box is "mostly, what they had left to release from the expansion." See. the Journey to Babel costumes. The refit-NX, TMP engineering/EV suit, and phasers are the exception, though I wouldn't be too surprised if that stuff was intended to fit with the similarly themed Dilithium store costumes (but the outcry against those made for a change of plans.)

Basically, it's obviously just classic grab bag. You can ignore the blurb.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,403 Arc User
    I took it as in Undiscovered content kind of name. Not a reference towards the movie.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    I took it as in Undiscovered content kind of name. Not a reference towards the movie.

I did too until the blog went on about the movies including undiscovered country
  • heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    Yeah, I call shenanigans on that "At home on the set of Undiscovered Country"

I wonder if somebody told the art staff "The original crew film era" and they just heard "TOS" and by the time anybody realized the mistake, assets had been made.

The Thrai warbird was made for AOY. The D9 probably fits in with that as well (though I can't recall it showing up in a mission.) The way I'd personally describe the lock box is "mostly, what they had left to release from the expansion." See. the Journey to Babel costumes. The refit-NX, TMP engineering/EV suit, and phasers are the exception, though I wouldn't be too surprised if that stuff was intended to fit with the similarly themed Dilithium store costumes (but the outcry against those made for a change of plans.)

Basically, it's obviously just classic grab bag. You can ignore the blurb.

Yeah, but then -they shouldn't have put in the blurb-.
  • heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User

Oh yeah! Sure! I'd love to see some original Cryptic designs done in the movie era style. I thought you were asking for canon ships, though, which is why I only mentioned the Miranda. Though, an Oberth would be welcome as well, even if it doesn't have much demand. Perhaps give a T6 Oberth the phase cloak that the USS Pegasus had. Maybe even call it the Pegasus class.

I want a T6 Oberth so freaking much. It's always been one of my favorite ship designs and it's so sad to me that we only get to use it a little bit at the start of a character's career. Pegasus class seems like such an obvious choice, (although would starfleet name a ship class after a giant controversial fiasco that breached treaties, killed lots of people, and disgraced one of their admirals?) But honestly it showed that that ship design was still being used and updated well into the TNG era.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    The D9 probably fits in with that as well (though I can't recall it showing up in a mission.)

They attack the star base during the Days of Doom instance. If you're on guard duty instead of ferrying cores you crush rather a lot of them :).

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,248 Community Moderator
    reyan01 wrote: »
    T6 Miranda is about the only movie-era ship I could see them still needing to do. Give it a new skin, call it the Reliant class and let it use the T1 Miranda skins. :)

The only canon TMP Starfleet ships are the Constitution Refit, Miranda, Excelsior, and Oberth you are correct and of those, I don't see Oberth having much demand. Excelsior has a T6 (though some consider it sub-par), and Con-R can be had via applying the proper skin to the TOS Connie (though the TMP skin really needs to be updated to modern standards), so that's at least somewhat covered. Miranda could use an update to its canon skin as well along with a new T6 skin, as you say. So that covers canon.

Is that all that can be done, though? I say no. I mean, look at TOS. The only significant Starfleet ship in the series was the Constitution, and yet Cryptic's designers have managed to expand the design language to a number of original ship designs that are excellently made and have been quite well received by fans. There's no reason the talented ship designers couldn't do the same using the design aesthetic seen on the Constitution Refit and Miranda classes and give us some ships to flesh out the 2280s fleet the way they have that of the 2260s.

I hope they'll consider that soon.​​

The T6 Sovereign has the phase cloak.

Well, that's an odd place to put it. :/
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • alfred399alfred399 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Back on topic, are there any movie-era ships in the box or potential for any to be added? Who else is interested in seeing some? If so, which ones? And would you be interested in seeing "Refit" skins added to existing Cryptic original TOS ships? I would personally be more interested in buying some of those ships should a Refit skin be added to them or made available to purchase, and I think others would agree that a T6 Miranda is long overdue.​​

Won't be in this box obviously (and probably unlikely anyway) but I'd love a more tac/intel or tac/temporal variant of the Excelsior (to replace the waaaay too Eng heavy one we already have).

Other than that, the only T6 ship we're missing IIRC is a T6 Miranda (which has to be more likely now we have a T6 NX right?). Can't think of any other TMP ships we don't have at T6 level?
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    artan42 wrote: »
    TMP EV suits, TWoK EV suits, TMP variant uniforms, TWoK admiral uniforms, the TWoK dil uniforms, a T6 Centaur, Miranda, Antares, or Raging Queen, K'T'inga, Kronos One, a TUC Klingon guards uniform, Chang, Gorkon, or Azetbur's uniforms, Vixis or Klaas uniforms.

I'm not complaining where they've gone here (I want those ground weapons) but there's so much more, and more thematically linked stuff that could have gone in instead of those TOS ships and costumes and the ENT Lobi ship.

I'm also not supporting any faction items in Lockboxes, that goes for Temporal, KT, TOS or TWoK era stuff.

Could of. There's more thematically linked stuff that could of gone in. pig-37.gif

Other than that I agree, calling this the "undiscovered" lock box implies it's themed around "the undiscovered country" and it's era. This is in fact a nonsensical designation, given it's basically a mixed bag of TOS inspired and TWOK+ themed stuff.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

Yeah, but then -they shouldn't have put in the blurb-.

*Shakes fist at whoever wrote the blurb, moves on.*
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    TMP EV suits, TWoK EV suits, TMP variant uniforms, TWoK admiral uniforms, the TWoK dil uniforms, a T6 Centaur, Miranda, Antares, or Raging Queen, K'T'inga, Kronos One, a TUC Klingon guards uniform, Chang, Gorkon, or Azetbur's uniforms, Vixis or Klaas uniforms.

I'm not complaining where they've gone here (I want those ground weapons) but there's so much more, and more thematically linked stuff that could have gone in instead of those TOS ships and costumes and the ENT Lobi ship.

I'm also not supporting any faction items in Lockboxes, that goes for Temporal, KT, TOS or TWoK era stuff.

Could of. There's more thematically linked stuff that could of gone in. pig-37.gif

Other than that I agree, calling this the "undiscovered" lock box implies it's themed around "the undiscovered country" and it's era. This is in fact a nonsensical designation, given it's basically a mixed bag of TOS inspired and TWOK+ themed stuff.
    a3e78e9d243529f51298692d64cd182a7515f1bdd962dea9d7d6778cab493b92.jpg

The only canon TMP Starfleet ships are the Constitution Refit, Miranda, Excelsior, and Oberth you are correct and of those, I don't see Oberth having much demand.

Not exactly. When most people use the term, it's referring to ships of that era and not simply ships from the films.
    So, that's the Centaur, Constellation, Constitution (refit), Curry/Raging Queen, Excelsior (and refit), Miranda (Antares, Lantree, Saratoga, & Soyuz), Oberth, and Sydney.

And possibly the three Excelsior study models, the Bradford type tug, the three nacelles Excelsior saucer, and the Jupp type frigate thing. Depending on if these studi models ever made it to scree or not.

Basically if it's a kitbash of the Constitution refit or the Excelsior, it's a TMP era ship.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    just use more FASA(inspired) designs... seen a few in STO already that made me do a double take... and theres at least one officially licensed Trek game out there directly just using a FASA Romulan design
    ooo this could get good... *sets up popcorn stand*
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Looks like that Prototype Dread is as close to the Federation class as I'm likely to get (besides Gal- X).

Seen from the back, the pylons are very much like the command cruisers :).

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I'd forgotten the Jenolan, but it's a problematic little ship isn't it? It's difficult not to look at it and not see the small craft it's based on (the model was a repurposed shuttle transport from STIV, about the size of a runabout),

Well that's a matter of opinion as I'm more familiar with the ship over the runabout, but the addition of a bridge and shipscaled windows helps greatly as there's not much in the way of scale on the runabout in the first place.
    and even at the vastly scaled up size it got with the TMP type parts and details added it's still nothing but an unarmed passenger vessel. Like the Oberth, an also unarmed science survey vessel, it's the kind of thing Starfleet would operate but not something a hero captain would ever be assigned to. They might as well give us a tugboat.

Unarmed? Under-armed possibly. But my point wasn't that I wanted one in particular, just that it exists.
    Centaur is included as a skin for the T1 Miranda in game already, so I don't see that being broken back out into its own class again. Constellation has a T5, if I'm not mistaken? Is there a T5u bump available to it? If so it's already endgame viable.

Neither are T6 though, which they could have been in a lockbox.
    The Curry / Raging Queen is problematic as hell, like many of the other kitbashes from the DS9 Technical Manual it uses parts from different ships without scaling them properly to each other making it impossible to make sense of. Either the saucer is too small or the nacelles too large, unless we go with the ridiculous idea that Starfleet would make one or the other over again at a different scale for no reason whatsoever. You could sort of fix it by replacing the nacelles with Excelsior ones, but it's still an awkward looking thing at best.

Unlike the Centaur, the Curry/Raging Queen seem to be rearranged Excelsior parts with only the scaled up Conni refit nacelles being an issue. However, though the nacelles are shaped the same on most of the TMP era sips, there's nothing to say that have to be 1-1 scaled with each other.
    Some of the design studies could form the basis for some interesting stuff though. And as I stated earlier, there's no reason the same designers who have done such excellent work giving us new ships in the TOS style couldn't do the same with TMP aesthetics. For my money, that's what I'd really like to see.

I'd rather see the canon ones first, then Cryptic can make their own.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Are you joking? COULD HAVE is correct english, "could of" is nonsense. It's an error based on a misinterpretation of the contraction "could've" which is short for, you guessed it, "could have". You literally just "corrected" proper correct english to an error.

No. You must be mistaken.
    (...)

I'd rather see the canon ones first, then Cryptic can make their own.

I agree. I don't mind a refit skin derived from the original classes though, I'd love to see a Miranda refit with type-6 material and "modern" Starfleet hull paintings. I even mae a mock-up of that some time ago. The only problem with bringing those ships to T6 is that there is no real niche for them, but functionality and plausibility aren't of Cryptic's most pressing concerns anyway.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Are you joking? COULD HAVE is correct english, "could of" is nonsense. It's an error based on a misinterpretation of the contraction "could've" which is short for, you guessed it, "could have". You literally just "corrected" proper correct english to an error.

No. You must be mistaken.

She's not
    She's not

gasp​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    reyan01 wrote: »

I want a T6 Oberth so freaking much. It's always been one of my favorite ship designs and it's so sad to me that we only get to use it a little bit at the start of a character's career. Pegasus class seems like such an obvious choice, (although would starfleet name a ship class after a giant controversial fiasco that breached treaties, killed lots of people, and disgraced one of their admirals?) But honestly it showed that that ship design was still being used and updated well into the TNG era.

I don't know - would the Pegasus incident be common knoweldge?
    Interesting question. IIRC, Picard makes note that the Romulan Empire government will be informed about this breach of the violation. It might be that it was still kept quiet between the two governments. It is certainly good political value to have such a treaty violation well know, but it could also cause some concern on the Romulan people that the Federation has superior technology to the Romulans.

But on the other hand, the Federation is a democratic society - it might have transparency rules that require public reporting of the situation.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Now that the servers are up, someone please post a pic or vid of the TWoK phaser arrays in action, need to know if I want to get them when I get home or not :)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png