test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Kits and Modules Research School

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,677 Community Manager
Along with many other improvements, Season 12 will see the introduction of the Kits and Modules Research School. This new R&D School gives Captains the ability to craft Kit Modules, Kits, and other resources to assist them in ground-based missions.

Full details here:
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10355453-kits-and-modules-research-school

Comments

• necreliosis#4763 necreliosis Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    If I'm understanding this correctly, then we had better upgrade any kits we have now before this change takes place. Otherwise, we're having a new research school forced upon us without much mercy where we will need to reach level 15 in before we can create effective kit upgrades.
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    What do you want to bet that instead of 'special' Frames and Modules as mission and event rewards, we're going to start getting Recipes for use with this R&D School instead?

I'm sorry, I would probably be more enthused if not for the fact that there are already existing Kit Frames and Modules still broken - to wit, upgraded 23c modules that won't slot their abilities in the power tray - and thus I just find myself wondering what will get broken this time...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • theolopboytheolopboy Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    So I maxed out my ground R&D tree and now I get to do it all over again. Thanks for that.
    Correct forum join and LTS subscriber from date : 27/01/2010
  • aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    theolopboy wrote: »
    So I maxed out my ground R&D tree and now I get to do it all over again. Thanks for that.

"just keep grinding, just keep grinding, what do we do - we grind!" - Captain Dory

on the plus side, crafting our own kit modules will save a fortune (or make a fortune, depending on mods)

LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    Well I am curious about the passive modules I suppose. I get the just keep grinding thing, but I'd like to hear the rationale behind dividing this from the Ground R&D school. It was already a rather big change, that scrambled kit module storage when kits and modules were separated. Frankly anything in this school could've just been added to ground.

That said, it's not that big a deal. Even my temporal agent is already level 15 in all schools and my other five characters are all level 20 across the board. The hard part will be remembering to slot the projects daily for a while.

Now, what's the special Crafting Kit going to be?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    How very uninteresting. Probably the boring add on the game ever had. This R&D school has been tested to be mostly useless on the tribble server. I can see this being removed in a years time and have its basics be clumped in with the ground R&D school

No, it's been touted as "mostly useless" by DPS chasers that have no thought process beyond, "Will this get me a x% more boost to my DPS? No? Well it's useless then."
  • ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    ash352 wrote: »
    How very uninteresting. Probably the boring add on the game ever had. This R&D school has been tested to be mostly useless on the tribble server. I can see this being removed in a years time and have its basics be clumped in with the ground R&D school

No, it's been touted as "mostly useless" by DPS chasers that have no thought process beyond, "Will this get me a x% more boost to my DPS? No? Well it's useless then."

Have you tested them?

And they fit exactly where I would expect for passive, always on in battle, kits that supplement your other skills and kit abilities as well as the boff's you bring along. I guess my viewpoint is different since I don't chase the latest DPS increase and look at the overall power of my characters.
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    Another R&D school and yet we still can't pick our mods we want on our crafted items. From the players I talked to, they don't care about being able to craft every single thing, but they do want to be able to put the mods they want on the items they craft. I personally get tired of having to craft 30-40 items just to get maybe one or two with the mods I want. At the minimum, let us disassemble items we crafted back into components so we don't waste a bunch of R&D materials on junk that either won't sell or just get tossed.
    latest?cb=20141230104800&path-prefix=en
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers?
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    Just about 20 min ago I asked myself "why did I not craft the stuff for my slowly growing AOY char"; since crafting I mostly just fill the +6k XP slot? So I quickly ordered two MK 10 shields at my highest shield char (lvl17) and the now slowly progressing shields have stuff like pla & tet and whatever added to it. That was a hard reminder why I do not really craft anything. It has some great ideas added to it but overall. Its... useless; joyless.

The screens look like that new school might be the first one where one can actually craft something so yeay if thats so. But considering the mess of all the other crafts... my expectations are low.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,215 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Can't say I even care for this option.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
    I stream on Twitch, look for Avoozl_
  • hawkyenarasumashawkyenarasumas Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Being able to craft kits and modules is well past due, so I'm glad to see it made an option. Now if we can start salvaging gear for R&D components and choosing our own mods as opposed to the current laughable RNG system, we'll really be on the right track.
    ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
    Admiral Hawkye L. Narasumas
    Commanding Officer, NX-91883 U.S.S. Harmony - Prometheus Class Custom Variant
    Fleet Commander, No Fate

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,263 Arc User
    Please DO NOT LAUNCH this yet to HOLODECK. You will break it for the few that DO ground.

There are some serious bugs that NOBODY (devs) care to fix...

DID you guys read:
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1222710/official-feedback-thread-for-the-kit-revamp

If you were to do this for space consoles, there would have been a HUGE outcry against this. However, since its ground who gives a $#!^. Please test it before you launch it and kill the game some more.
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif