What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Biography?

13»

Comments

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Lol @tacticalrook i sense some mild frustration. Can't say i blame you, this thread gave my eyes cancer.

And as always it wasn't helped by the untimely arrival of Starfleet Mental...
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2017
    Fair enough, I knew not what the limit was... No need to get all jumpy about it, @tacticalrook !!!

That answers the OP's question then...
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    I'm sensing that the limit is 2000 characters or 1000 lines, whichever comes first.

Good to know. @tacticalrook ;)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I've only read baddmoonrizin 's last post here.

Do these 1000 lines include empty lines or not? :D
  • Options
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    @stoleviathan999#6673 you really did just argue in favour of reducing the freedoms of the players so that you and certain other parties can filter out people who you arbitrarily decide are undesirables or deviants?!?

You do realise this is a Star Trek computer game right? Not some police state simulation being run by facisistic controlling parties. The sort of thing you propose has no place in a game like STO, or even in any other game for that mater.

The only way to get people to do the right thing is to prevent them from doing the wrong thing.

It's a fundamental fact of human nature and beyond dispute.

While I do not disagree with the thought that you've presented here, @repetitiveepic , I disagree with actually implementing such a thing. Restricting the freedoms of all to prevent the undesirable actions of a few isn't necessarily the best course of action.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Again, you are only addressing one of the three potential benefits of 140 character bios:

Other two: mindful, deliberate (and thus, more creative) writing, and better writing.

People seem hung up on the same thing, but there are multiple benefits. Undesirables will be identified one way or another, my plan just makes it easier to do so.

Well, that is subjective as well. It doesn't necessarily follow that people will, in fact, become better, more mindful and creative writers if they are restricted to 140 characters. All you have to do is look at Twitter to see a plethora of examples of thoughtless drivel spewed by clichéd hacks hashtagging their way to mediocrity.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    Instead of framing the idea as a punitive measure, think of it as a creative writing exercise much like the oft-imitated "six word story."

Remember, folks, one of the most powerful sentences in western literary canon is only two words: "Jesus wept."

But would that have been such a powerful sentence if only 140 characters could have been devoted to describing Jesus?

No one would have cared about or known Jesus if only one tweet could have ever been used to describe him.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Personally, my longest bio is on my main, it says:
    *Redacted*
    I find it interesting that those who seem to be actively supporting limits on character bios aren't following the advice of "Don't like it? Stay away from it!"

You know, the same advice given when people complain about Fire Extinguishers, Party Poppers, obnoxiously sized toons getting in the way of other's line of sight, and Disco Balls. Oh, I mean Memorial Balls, or whatever they call them.

Oh, and before someone calls me "Off Topic" remember that unless the topic is "Am I On Topic?" commenting on if someone is on or off topic is, in fact, off topic. Also, unless you are jodarkrider, not your job.

"Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I'm not comparing Star trek online bios to the stature of the bible and western greats, just giving an example.

And it was a good example. It very clearly explained why a restriction of 140 characters doesn't allow for good storytelling or character creation ;)
  • Options
    I'm not comparing Star trek online bios to the stature of the bible and western greats, just giving an example.

Granted, @nabreeki , and I don't believe that anyone thought that you were. But I think the point that @risian4 was making about your example was, would it be as powerful a two word sentence if it weren't for the thousands of words already written about Jesus beforehand? It is not for us to decide, but for each player, him or herself, on how many words it will take for us to get to know their character, if we so choose to pursue that knowledge.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    The mechanics of what you can write is also impacted if within your characters biography you attempt to tie them into known franchise figures. It makes you get creative in order to achieve something like that!
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Instead of framing the idea as a punitive measure, think of it as a creative writing exercise much like the oft-imitated "six word story."

Remember, folks, one of the most powerful sentences in western literary canon is only two words: "Jesus wept."

Almost as powerful, the sentence "Mike swept." Oh, wait, I guess you'd need to read the rest of the book to understand why Mike's cleaning habits make for powerful reading.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    I really wish we could limit bios to 140 characters or less for the flowing reasons:

I agree with you. And now that we are on the topic, I think the tailor options should also be limited, there is too many indecent options if you ask me.

So many "aliens" that looks like children or so many costumes that show too much skin for a family game.

I think the game should limit the costume option to 10 presets for each race.

What do you decent people think about it?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    That's a matter of opinion. An opinion that I don't necessarily disagree with, but still, an opinion.

Besides, if horrific writers learned how to write a proper (according to either your, the Dear Leader's or the Ministry of Truth's standards of course) bio, doesn't that mean that they then deserve less restrictions?

So basically you'd expect the devs to impose a character limit, to force people to practice good writing and then what? Expect the Devs to spend even more time and valuable resources to remove that restriction again once the players are done practicing?
  • Options
    You guys have officially derailed this thread so bad, it ain't funny anymore... :neutral:
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    Nah, we're still talking about in-game biographies and limits to their length.
  • Options
    Fair enough, then I guess I can talk about how I don't want to play with limitations other players see fit for themselves... I am for less limitations of a game that has a base in IDIC... What if I want my captain to have an encyclopedia for a biography? Just because my biography does not live up to your standards, does not mean we have to limit it... Might as well just also put a limit on foundry too... That's full of walls of texts, cliches, furry prostitutes and poorly constructed sentences...

Yeah let's limit that too while we're at it!
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    Might as well just also put a limit on foundry too... That's full of walls of texts, cliches, furry prostitutes and poorly constructed sentences...

Yeah let's limit that too while we're at it!

Not a bad idea if you ask me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    While I do not disagree with you, @nabreeki , about the lack of well written and/or original bios, I still cannot support the idea of the limits that you are suggesting, simply because an agreed upon consensus would never be reached on what would constitute as acceptable, not to mention the restrictions on players' freedom of expression.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    In the words of Trendy - "Your fun is not wrong."

And - That is all I am going to say, and close this - as this verbal-ping pong has gone for long enough, going from simple question into a debate as to what and if the biographies should be limited, people resulting in personal jabs. That being said, if you do see something objectionable/vulgar in people's biographies, there are appropriate ways as to handle that.

Thank you everyone who has remained constructive and civil.
    /Closed
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

This discussion has been closed.