test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tales of K-13 Part 4!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
Temporal Agents Nereda and Drij seek out the final fate of the crew of Station K-13.

(Damned onion cutting ninjas.)

Full details here:
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10313253-tales-of-k-13-part-4!

Comments

• Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    can totally imagine that piece as an episode on TNG. *snuffle* classic Trek*something.. in.. my .. eye...*
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    So what was the "directed protomatter reaction" event that destroyed all organic matter on the planet?

And who were the Alien Slaver's?

Question's..., questions...
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    So what was the "directed protomatter reaction" event that destroyed all organic matter on the planet?

And who were the Alien Slaver's?

Question's..., questions...
    B)
    Based on Echoes of Light the directed protomatter reaction was very likely a Tzenkethi weapon.
  • Options
    matth431matth431 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    Nitpick - Nichols says "hopefully someone from 2370 will come back for us" - K13 is from 2270, 2370 would be Picard's era.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Well done, this was a nice addition to the K-13 story.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    Thanks for the story, was a good read. On the one hand it's kind of a shame no one rescued them, on the other they got a good retirement it sounded like.

I hope we get to encounter these aliens at some point, they sound more alien than just funky-forehead-of-the-week with one eye and four legs.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Great story. Our first look at the Tzenkethi (at least, I assume that was the Tzenkethi...) and some closure for the K-13 crew.

Poor T’Von, though. More than a century trapped on an alien planet, completely alone. :(
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I've come to appreciate these stories more and more as time has passed. They add a lot for me that just wouldn't be possible with the game we have. Well done.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    Thanks for the story, was a good read. On the one hand it's kind of a shame no one rescued them, on the other they got a good retirement it sounded like.

I hope we get to encounter these aliens at some point, they sound more alien than just funky-forehead-of-the-week with one eye and four legs.

The three surviving K-13 crew seem like perfect candidates for Temporal recruitment, imo.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    matth431 wrote: »
    Nitpick - Nichols says "hopefully someone from 2370 will come back for us" - K13 is from 2270, 2370 would be Picard's era.

^This. Otherwise, it was a good read.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    Dragonians? Dr Who crossover?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    That hurts right in the feels.

Damn. We won't forget. They did good. They did real good.

And the Draconians. A species with psionic healing...wiped out just like that. The things and people we've lost.

And Drij and Nereda. Those two are awesome.

But this story hurts to the core man.

At the very least a little time travel is in order, since thanks to the accursed Protomatter weapon (*spits* I agree with Drij) we can't even recover their bodies.

questerius wrote: »
    Dragonians? Dr Who crossover?

Draconians, the natural demonym for a planet named Draconis.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    velrennvelrenn Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Very nice story. Again, I say those should be made available in-game.

Just one part made me a bit confused. In the Security Officer’s Log, March 29th, 1572, T'Von wrote:

"I have devised a plan of guerrilla warfare at Chief Sheridan’s request."

Shouldn't it be "Chief Nichols"? Sheridan was the nurse, and if I understood correctly he was against contact with the Draconians (wasn't "happy with all of this").
    IDIC is the spice of life.
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    I enjoyed reading this. I don't know Cryptic doesn't add these writing into the game. Everything that has or will be written that pertains to the overall story of STO should be added somewhere in the game. Just wonder why it isn't. Great story!
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    Is it just me or is anyone else wondering why Daniels didn't just go back in time after we (the AOY characters) got the station sucked into the past and time portal the station back to its original time? I mean, it happened as a result of a temporal incursion... just seems like the type of thing temporal agents would fix.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    This shouldve been a mission tbh, seems we get more stories that are "trek" then missions, sure echoes is nice , but this read shouldve been an actual mission, but with cryptic its less trek more pew pew pew lol

Good read missed oppurtunity.
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Is it just me or is anyone else wondering why Daniels didn't just go back in time after we (the AOY characters) got the station sucked into the past and time portal the station back to its original time? I mean, it happened as a result of a temporal incursion... just seems like the type of thing temporal agents would fix.

Perhaps, but you have to realize the Agents on the story are from the 29th century, meaning K-13 fate was sealed by the 31st century, when Daniels agency works from. The records of finding out the fate of the remainder of K-13 were probably used to send Daniels to when he needed to be, to make sure what could be saved was saved, prevent the Na'kuhl plot, and set things on the path for the 29th century to figure out and complete the time loop.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    To allow 25th century officers to get cool retro stuff, just as planned. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find working 23rd weapons, these days?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Great story. Our first look at the Tzenkethi (at least, I assume that was the Tzenkethi...) and some closure for the K-13 crew.

Poor T’Von, though. More than a century trapped on an alien planet, completely alone. :(

That bit about T'von really hit me, especially when I realized about the time difference in the log entries. Spending about 30 years with only 2 others for company, then another 20 with just one other, to face over a century alone. But then, as she said, she Lived Long and she Prospered. May we all face our end with such simple dignity.

P.S. God damn those onion ninjas!
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    ...we will let their families know what became of them.

This part confuses me. :/
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited December 2016
  • Options
    stan2750stan2750 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Hello.

Long time player since week one... And while I feel more things need to be added to this game, like (actually traveling to solar systems and using a ships sensors to scan planets, find resources, or new life and to have your in game actions affect what's going on in real time. Maybe a separate deep space map with a galactic control map that shows how the alliance is doing from time to time,( expansion areas controlled my Klingons, Romulan,, Federation alliances) and if a Player decides to go against the grain could start a war with another species.. etc.. just thinking out loud here.

Or the Gorn Uprising separating themselves from the Klingon Empire.

Or Perhaps a fourth faction separated from The other three, that has no affiliation. Pirates, Traders (freighter captains) and or I dunno some sort of frontier explorer. Make use of the (all faction ships) and live outside the constraints of being part of one of the major powers.

But back on point.

I love the addition of these Stories. I've liked them all. They do add depth to this game.

This one, k-13 P4 needs to be a mission. Where we go back in time. Obviously need to return in time to a point where they defeated the alien invaders and after they established their life long relationships. But, just in time to rescue them and bring them back to K13.

Maybe have to go through some trial and error to reach the correct point in time? Maybe even save the people targeted on that world by the bomb? Change the future.
  • Options
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Not 2370, tho. ;)

Yes. Because, if they are talking about going back to the 30th century to report to long removed descendants about long forgotten relatives, it seems an odd choice. But so does the act of going back the the century that these guys disappeared from since that information in the wrong hands might effect the timeline as it is known in the 30th century.

• Options
    Oh, so my other question is...

Is Part two - Mission: Echoes of Light?
  • Options
    clcopelandclcopeland Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    I enjoyed it but 2270, I get it was a typo.
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    Seems to me that as soon as they've had their last contact with the natives and moved off to that island to spend the rest of their lives, they could be retrieved/recruited at any point without altering the timeline. If you want to be thorough and/or careful, dig some graves (possibly with replicated bones) and duplicate the log entries just in case anyone else comes looking.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    To allow 25th century officers to get cool retro stuff, just as planned. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find working 23rd weapons, these days?

They made 'em to last in the 23rd century <3
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    generator88generator88 Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    Dear AmbassadorKael/Any other Red Names,

As much as I'm enjoying the Tales of K-13 series, could you alert the folks writing this that they are consistently getting the dates wrong? If they're from the 23rd century, the station didn't disappear in 2370, as that is the 24th century.

Apart from that, I'm loving this series.

Have a good one.

Generator
    =================

I'm sure your DPS is great, but as Kahless said, "a petaQ with high system mastery is still a petaQ." (Well, he should have said it...!)
  • Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    according to Daniels in Enterprise, there are 12 temporal agents. So, so far we know of Daniels, Walker, Nereda, Drij, and the PC. Any others I've missed?
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!