test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Breen Absolute Zero set: Who hates it? Who loves it?

djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
Reason I ask is I have a character who is totally devoted to trying out all event ships, and all reputation/episode sets. I'm getting him prepared to fly the Chel Boalg Warship in 2-3 weeks. I've been hitting the Wonderland pretty hard, and have the Exothermic Induction Beam manual ready to go. Then I noticed the Cryo-plasma infused warp core. I've never used that core before, nor the rest of the set from the Breen arc, and thought it might be fun to try, since it goes with the Breen theme. Now I'm about halfway through saving the winter currencies needed for the warp core.
I realize this may not be anyone's favorite set, but my question is: Does anyone think I should never get it? Or is it just as usable as all other sets in reasonably capable hands, playing PVE?
Hopefully that makes sense. I'm just wondering if anyone has any particularly TERRIBLE things to say about it, before I spend more time saving for the core or playing through the Breen episodes again to get the set.
My proposed build
Thanks!
C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
-Captain James T. Kirk
Post edited by djf021 on

Comments

• boachevboachev Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I personally like it. I tend to use it on my Fed-Eng's DSSV, and the Breen Energy Siphon synergizes pretty nicely with with his build. Between it, my natural engineer skills, the red matter capacitor... my ship always has copious amounts of energy to spread around to all of its systems, all while I use my love of drain skills to sap enemy ships of all of their power. Combining it with the energy siphon science BOFF ability, and I can just rotate it every 30 seconds and have perpetual draining going if I want to (though I usually don't, tends to be overkill when there's so many other fun science abilities to use.).

And, if nothing else, it's a really easy set to put together. Hardest part is the limited time window to acquire the warp core/singularity since you can only get it during the Winter Event. Which is happening right now, so... go get it!
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    My AoY was using the Breen set for quite a while, until I got the resources put together for the 4 piece ico set.

Thing is, you get that breen set fairly early on compared to other mission reward sets, and it's really not bad at all.
    The core itself is actually quite nice even standalone.

Nice drain capabilities in combination with other sets/weapons.

I say you should get it, and enjoy the cold theme.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    The Breen Absolute Zero set is probably one of the more difficult sets to use. The mods for each piece, unlike other sets, does not focus on increasing DPS or defense. Some may argue that it is one of the weakest sets in the game. For example, the Breen warp core lacks the [AMP] mod when it is upgraded to Ultra Rare, which is useful to increase your DPS; the Breen shield only provides defense towards Polaron and Radiation, unlike other shields that provide defense to all energy types; and none of the pieces provide any subsystem energy boosts.

Even with these "negative" points to the set, it is possible to create a viable build from them. The set does offer the Breen Energy Siphon and the Eject Cryo-plasma abilities, which means that your ship would have to lean towards a drain build and also have a good turn rate. You will be relying on superb piloting skills as well as your BOFFs abilities and traits to keep your ship alive as well as do effect damage to your target.

Though some may argue not to, you may consider using the 4 Breen consoles on your ship in addition to the Breen Absolute Zero set. Those consoles do provide additional damage, damage resistance, and placate, which may help improve your DPS and ability to stay alive. Again, like the space set, the consoles provide limited help. Tactics is truly what makes the Breen set and consoles work optimally.

Breen use Polaron and Transphasic weapons. Though Polaron weapons would be ideal in a drain build, I would suggest taking advantage of the Resonant set from the Blood of the Ancients episode, which uses Disruptor and Transphasic weapons. Your Breen set gives a boosts to Transphasic torpedoes; the Resonant set also provides that boost. The Transphasic torpedo from that set is far superior to other Transphasic torpedoes in the game. If you can afford it, you will want to use Disruptors with [Pen]. If you are set on drain weapons, you will want to use Polarized Disruptors. Otherwise, any Disruptor weapon will do.

As far as PvE goes, the Breen Absolute Zeros is doable; just don't expect to vape or destroy your enemies so quickly.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,016 Community Moderator
    The Breen set is pretty decent for drain builds, and as a relatively free set its easy to get a hold of. The only part that takes work is the warp core which is available only during the winter event.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    The Breen Space Set is a poorly designed set that doesn't even give you the mods to even start making its abilities and what it's about any decent. It's very scatter-brained.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,016 Community Moderator
    The Breen Space Set is a poorly designed set that doesn't even give you the mods to even start making its abilities and what it's about any decent. It's very scatter-brained.

We are talking about one of the first sets in the game. Of course it won't be uber awesome.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

We are talking about one of the first sets in the game. Of course it won't be uber awesome.

Correct, but did we not have all the massive changes not too long ago from the Skillboxes? The changes were so extensive that it reached practically every bit of equipment, abilities, etc. The set could have been altered to be useful for itself but it didn't.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    I've used it more on actual Breen ships than the ships I typically run around with, but it's not bad if you've got the build for it. I tend to find it more fun if you're running a more "traditional" science build where you would might have a bit more focus on drain/control skills. At the very least, it can serve you okay at the mid levels until you're able to go for the "big guys."
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    It's not a matter of need at all. I've got the Adapted MACO or Iconian sets I could use, I just wanted to get a gauge of how loved or hated the Breen set is. If it's strongly NOT recommended, no biggie, I'll go with a newer set.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    It's a great cheap set but if you can get better then do so.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • aemon#6794 aemon Member Posts: 3 New User
    I don't like how it looks, I don't like how it sounds. I prefered to make do with the available basics than use it. Deleted.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    aemon#6794 wrote: »
    I don't like how it looks, I don't like how it sounds. I prefered to make do with the available basics than use it. Deleted.

LOL you can just disable visuals.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I have the Breen Set. I have it Upgraded to Mk XIV (VR). It isn't as bad as people make out. It will never be one of the best sets in the game, but then again it does not have the Mega Oblivion - I Win! - Console Mk XXV (Epically Epic!) which so many players now expect in a Set. I intend to try it out fully when I get the WW ship. One of the things I like doing in this game is tinkering to see if I can get a "substandard" piece of gear to perform beyond what is expected. I'm not in love with it, no. But I do intend to give it as fair a shot as I can possibly do so.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • aemon#6794 aemon Member Posts: 3 New User
    > @gradii said:
    > aemon aemon#6794
    >
    > wrote: »
    >
    > I don't like how it looks, I don't like how it sounds. I prefered to make do with the available basics than use it. Deleted.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > LOL you can just disable visuals.

The sound irritates me more than the visuals, do I have to turn off my speakers too?
  • fluorescentblackfluorescentblack Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    On one of my mains Stalker fighter shuttle I had ended up using the breen set and continue to do so. I plan on setting up the rest of my fed characters with this shuttle setup as a default. Science doff and tractor beam, Ship set to aux power normally.
    Leader of The Temporal Guard and Temporal Defence Force
  • aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I'm using it on my Breen ship with a science captain. It's not the greatest set out there, but it's workable. If you want performance, then look for something else.
    Polaron disruptors + resonant preserver set for me. No idea, why Breen use polarons in sto. They should use type 3 disruptors. Just as Romulans should, but ... STO is only Star Trek themed and doestn't really care about such details.
    Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I've had full Breen loadout (absolute zero + ship consoles) on my Breen carrier and I think it works quite well for what is basically two free sets with extra click powers. You can go drain + control on the T6 Sarr Theln and the hangar pets help to mitigate issues with DPS. It's still my favorite out of all the Breen ships.

Of course if you're new to collecting Breen ships and don't have the T5 consoles and didn't get the carrier when it was available, you may be out of luck. I can see where the sets might not work as well on other ship classes.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    This set, along with the Nukara set, are my two favorite sets. Only thing that I haven't "epic'd" out yet on my main's Absolute Zero set, is the shield array, and that itself is UR. It fits his theme, adds to the tetryon drain, looks nice, sounds nice, and leaves that cryo trail out the ship. I don't care about having shitloads of DPS in the triple digits, or whatever meta the lemming herd rolls around following, or the super massive stats to chase the imaginary brass rings. I love the set. I have fun with the set. :)
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    i have all 4 consoles and the cores/shields etc.... set is garbage. but I got it all anyway for use for a breen ship. the stats on the items and effects dont make much sense or has any real synergy... the consoles are also garbage. you have one that is a slow destructible torpedo... 2 min cool down?! another bonus is you can eject something like a plasma "cold" cloud...

for a "free" set, it's better than the junk that comes with a ship... but your better off using rep/fleet gear once you can save up for em.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    It's not a very good set and there is a reason hardly anyone uses it.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    I love the set and run it on 9 of my 11 chars in whole or part.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,317 Arc User
    djf021 wrote: »
    Reason I ask is I have a character who is totally devoted to trying out all event ships, and all reputation/episode sets. I'm getting him prepared to fly the Chel Boalg Warship in 2-3 weeks. I've been hitting the Wonderland pretty hard, and have the Exothermic Induction Beam manual ready to go. Then I noticed the Cryo-plasma infused warp core. I've never used that core before, nor the rest of the set from the Breen arc, and thought it might be fun to try, since it goes with the Breen theme. Now I'm about halfway through saving the winter currencies needed for the warp core.
    I realize this may not be anyone's favorite set, but my question is: Does anyone think I should never get it? Or is it just as usable as all other sets in reasonably capable hands, playing PVE?
    Hopefully that makes sense. I'm just wondering if anyone has any particularly TERRIBLE things to say about it, before I spend more time saving for the core or playing through the Breen episodes again to get the set.
    My proposed build
    Thanks!

I should mention that i am not a fan of antiproton which i find unimaginative and the visuals repulsive.
    Having said that, anitproton also does not fit in with a drain build.

Personally i would replace the AP with the resonant set and the nausican set (both of which are mission rewards.

Grab some of these to fill out the weapon slots:
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Polarized_Disruptor_Beam_Array
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    questerius wrote: »
    My proposed build
    Thanks!

I should mention that i am not a fan of antiproton which i find unimaginative and the visuals repulsive.

Personally i would replace the AP with the resonant set and the nausican set (both of which are mission rewards.

I read that and got really sad... my Captain is really built for drain/control, and for a "secondary" ship to TRIBBLE around with I plan to have a Voth Bulwark with a sorta-RPish build. In "canon", the Voth use antiproton weaponry.

HOWEVER, upon closer inspection the specific Voth antiproton weapons have the effect of lowering the damage output of your enemy rather than the "bleh" modifier of regular antiproton weapons. I think I don't like it was much as the Polarized Disruptors, but it looks acceptable in terms of synergy with a drain build (not to mention on the Bulwark, which is already all kinds of survivable). Considering I'm not trying to milk every little decimal for the maximum possible DPS, that's good enough for me.
    boachev wrote: »
    My proposed build
    Thanks!

I read that and got really sad... my Captain is really built for drain/control, and for a "secondary" ship to **** around with I plan to have a Voth Bulwark with a sorta-RPish build. In "canon", the Voth use antiproton weaponry.

HOWEVER, upon closer inspection the specific Voth antiproton weapons have the effect of lowering the damage output of your enemy rather than the "bleh" modifier of regular antiproton weapons. I think I don't like it was much as the Polarized Disruptors, but it looks acceptable in terms of synergy with a drain build (not to mention on the Bulwark, which is already all kinds of survivable). Considering I'm not trying to milk every little decimal for the maximum possible DPS, that's good enough for me.

RP aside, unless something has changed recently, Voth AP was considered to be the absolute worst weapon type in the game bar none.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    boachev wrote: »
    My proposed build
    Thanks!

I read that and got really sad... my Captain is really built for drain/control, and for a "secondary" ship to **** around with I plan to have a Voth Bulwark with a sorta-RPish build. In "canon", the Voth use antiproton weaponry.

RP aside, unless something has changed recently, Voth AP was considered to be the absolute worst weapon type in the game bar none.

Dr.-Who.gif
    Sorry if that piece of news came as a cold shower..
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I like the set and usually have at least one ship with it. Dont think its any kinda super set but solid, and an interesting visual theme
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    So for yeas I refused the hamster cage run for a breen ship, this year I broke down. And you all are really making me feel buyer's remorse. ;)​​
    edited December 2016

So for yeas I refused the hamster cage run for a breen ship, this year I broke down. And you all are really making me feel buyer's remorse. ;)​​

We're not discussing the ship, but the 4-piece breen set.
    The winter reward breen ships tend to have really good stats and boff layout. Only the visuals are an ongoing debate between fans and haters.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    I recently tested--on a T5U Chel Grett--Epic Absolute Zero set (all four pieces are Epic) as well as using all 4 Breen consoles; in addition, I loaded both Resonant 3pc and Nausicaan 3pc (weapons on both sets were at UR and consoles on both sets were at Epic); I even included the Polarized Polaron [Dmg]x2. After performing tests at Ker'rat, I can say that the Breen ship and set up were sub par to what you can get from other set ups. Perhaps the T6 with Intel abilities might change that, but from what I have experienced as an ENG flying the T5U version with that setup, it has issues putting out damage. Granted, the ship is supposed to be designed for drain; I felt like the build didn't do as much drain as it should.

Would like to hear other people's experience with the Absolute Zero and Breen console set build.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg