test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Civilian Faction.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Civilian Faction.

What would the community think about adding a Civilian Faction to the game?

You could have Mercenaries, Traders, and Explorers ETC.

You could choose to gain repudiation or align with other factions a thus allowing access to there missions, goods ECT.

Pro’s, Con’s, Discussion?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I'd love it personally. But for it to be truly great would need systems the game doesnt actually have. Like commodity trading between worlds and the like.

But I'd be fine with having it done on a minor level too. Still do the same missions but as a freelancer and get to fly some of the nifty NPC ships we keep seeing (Vulcan, Ferengi, Orion etc)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Harry Mudd/Cyrano Jones a la Wing Commander: Privateer = sign me up. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think it could be pretty cool. I imagine it a place for the hard core traders and crafters.

They would need to make every starbase have an independent exchange to let prices fluctuate between sectors.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I like this idea.

/Endorse
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think it could be pretty cool. I imagine it a place for the hard core traders and crafters.

They would need to make every starbase have an independent exchange to let prices fluctuate between sectors.

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe even randomize commodities and rates between sector space cargo ships to mix it up a bit.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Argh.....this again. (yes that was a pirate argh)

Civilians arent a faction. They are civilians.

If you really want a civilian faction you can rejoice. Because you're likely already a part of it. You drive your car, eat at Burger King, and are not allowed to wizz outside in public (this needs amending I know).

You want to have a trade ship? Play EvE.

I mean, Im all for a Makie (sp?) faction maybe. Or some sort of side Orion pirate faction.

But seeing how the game still could use a Romulan, Cardassian, etc factions I cant believe we will EVER see anything like this.

Civilians are not really......a faction. If you want that you can experience that right now. Stand up, walk around the living room or study. And guess what?? You're a CIVILIAN! In the civilian "faction". Weeee!
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Perhaps Civilian is not the word I want to use, but independent and neutral are not good choices either.

Thank you for suggesting that I try playing EVE, I am not real familiar with that game but my eldest son says it’s a lot of fun.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

If you really want a civilian faction you can rejoice. Because you're likely already a part of it. You drive your car, eat at Burger King, and are not allowed to wizz outside in public (this needs amending I know).

I mean, Im all for a Makie (sp?) faction maybe. Or some sort of side Orion pirate faction.

But seeing how the game still could use a Romulan, Cardassian, etc factions I cant believe we will EVER see anything like this.

Civilians are not really......a faction. If you want that you can experience that right now. Stand up, walk around the living room or study. And guess what?? You're a CIVILIAN! In the civilian "faction". Weeee!

Don't get hung up on words. You know what everyone's talking about. Merchants, mercanaries, privateers. Things that fall outside standard military ranks. And it is canon for Trek too. Ferengi, Harry Mudd, etc.

Oh and in case you missed it, the Devs listed 'Ferengi' as one of the top three factions people wanted to see from the survey. Funny that.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    civilians wouldn't be able to run around with anything stronger than a phaser turret in the federation.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    personae wrote:
    Don't get hung up on words. You know what everyone's talking about. Merchants, mercanaries, privateers. Things that fall outside standard military ranks. And it is canon for Trek too. Ferengi, Harry Mudd, etc.

Oh and in case you missed it, the Devs listed 'Ferengi' as one of the top three factions people wanted to see from the survey. Funny that.

wheres the results of the survey found?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    civilians wouldn't be able to run around with anything stronger than a phaser turret in the federation.

Unless you were a smuggler with no regards for federation law...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hanzo wrote: »
    Unless you were a smuggler with no regards for federation law...

ah, ok. and then what happens when the federation catches your non-law abiding butt and throws you in the brig and then on to a prison?

Then theres rura penthe for the klingons.

Also, i doubt a smuggler would be running around with potent weaponry comparable to a warship. so in any case they would be gimped by the amount of firepower they could dish. Plus theres the shielding and armor techs that would probably be unavailable too.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I wouldn't mind a 5th or 6th faction in a couple of years, after Klingons get some more love, Romulans sneak in the backdoor while cloaked and Cardassians retake their empire. :)

That should just about take care of my lifetime subscription to STO and then you can pay to play the target of my hostile takeover of the galaxy. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So what are you going to do as a mercenary. Fly up to me andsay if you pay me 1 mill I,ll shoot down 6 Klingon battleships for you
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Like the Idea
  • Options
    edited March 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    Hold on, is this a necro thread or glitched?
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    As long as His Shadow is not going to send this thread out as an assassin...
  • Options
    sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,272 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    It's definitely a necro. @laughingtrendy @jodarkrider
    | State of the Federation |
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    Leader: S. Raneson
    de_pr2.gif
  • Options
    fodda82#9013 fodda82 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    dont worry, they brought salt...

Supernatural-Sam-Dean-Winchester-GIFs.gif

200.gif#900
    Admiral Butler - U.S.S. Caitlin - NCC 90306 D - Fleet: Weekend Warriors
  • Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    Stay classy, folks.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    I like the idea.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Been a while since I saw Archived Post posting something. Welcome back :)

Someone had that 'curse you, archived post. You stole all my ideas' in his sig btw. Still among the best ones I've seen :p
  • Options
    admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    goodscotch wrote: »
    I like the idea.
    goodscotch wrote: »
    I like the idea.

Quoted twice because I agree that much!

Qapla!
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    What is wrong with people?! Dude should know better, has over 3 thousand posts!
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User

And yet, he ignored Dr. McCoy repeatedly saying "It's dead, Jim."
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User

And yet, he ignored Dr. McCoy repeatedly saying "It's dead, Jim."
    Maybe someone stole his brain recently.
    "Brain and brain! What is brain?!"
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I prefer the wit and wisdom of the 'Unknown User' over this upstart 'Archived Post' that's for sure. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns