test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Freighter character

So I was thinking of ways to make things more interesting in the game for me and I came up with the idea of creating a character specifically designed to be a cargo hauler/freighter captain. Something non-military and I thought I would post here and get suggestions for how best to proceed. Obviously I'd have to choose either Federation or KDF and I figured I'd go with a Ferengi character. Has anyone done something similar and would like to share what they did or have suggestions how best to proceed? I'd like to refrain from using Federation/KDF vessels as much as possible though I don't think I've bought any or unlocked anything that could replace them just yet.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be welcomed.

Comments

• marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    I would really like to have a freighter captain... An idea I had for such an option, would be as an extra faction, where someone could choose any playable race, could use any faction's weapons/engines/shields etc, but could only acquire them if they were dropped in combat, or mailed across from another toon, just to give it a real 'piratey feel' B)
  • admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    I would really like to have a freighter captain... An idea I had for such an option, would be as an extra faction, where someone could choose any playable race, could use any faction's weapons/engines/shields etc, but could only acquire them if they were dropped in combat, or mailed across from another toon, just to give it a real 'piratey feel' B)

Yeah, I would do that. Honestly the thought brings a nostalgic tear to my eye. :)

Qapla!

Yeah, I would do that. Honestly the thought brings a nostalgic tear to my eye. :)

Qapla!
    I think it would be a nice variation B)
    You may have to invent or re-invent everything you need to make the idea work. I love themed characters, and think it is worth the effort.
    if you can't get a 'trade' vessel, there used to be hologram you could buy to make your ship lok diferent, and if my memory isn't completely shot, one of those holo-skins was a frieghter. Good luck. I'll be cuirous what other tell you. ;)

Qapla!
    edited November 2016
    You may have to invent or re-invent everything you need to make the idea work. I love themed characters, and think it is worth the effort.
    if you can't get a 'trade' vessel, there used to be hologram you could buy to make your ship lok diferent, and if my memory isn't completely shot, one of those holo-skins was a frieghter. Good luck. I'll be cuirous what other tell you. ;)

Qapla!
    Well the idea I had, when patrickngo and I were bouncing the idea back and forth the other day, was that the character be a cashiered Starfleet officer*, thus unable to use ports like ESD**, and so things like might be able to wear a starfleet jacket with civilian pants, but it would always look ragged, rather than Inspection Fresh B) I might have to look into the holo-skin, I think those're available at Drozana... B)

*or discommended Klingon/disgraced Romulan
    ** or Qo'noS/ New Romulus

• fitzypoopfitzypoop Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I used to have one of those holoskins and I think I got it at Quark's on DS9 after playing a lot of Dabo. haha. Might have to go do that again just for giggles.

Qapla!
    Well the idea I had, when patrickngo and I were bouncing the idea back and forth the other day, was that the character be a cashiered Starfleet officer*, thus unable to use ports like ESD**, and so things like might be able to wear a starfleet jacket with civilian pants, but it would always look ragged, rather than Inspection Fresh B) I might have to look into the holo-skin, I think those're available at Drozana... B)

*or discommended Klingon/disgraced Romulan
    ** or Qo'noS/ New Romulus

I'll be tracking this thread .. ;)

Qapla!
    fitzypoop wrote: »
    I used to have one of those holoskins and I think I got it at Quark's on DS9 after playing a lot of Dabo. haha. Might have to go do that again just for giggles.
    Awesome, I feel a new self-imposed mission coming on B)
  • quebraregraquebraregra Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2016

I've been thinking along these lines for a while... Something like an "independent" faction, with a career focus on trader/merchant/freight, pirate, mercenary, etc. I could see career specific skills/traits, and an economic system to go along with it:
    - Buy product/ship product
    - intercept shipments, raid stations, etc.

a la FREELANCER
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_(video_game)

I've been thinking along these lines for a while... Something like an "independent" faction, with a career focus on trader/merchant/freight, pirate, mercenary, etc. I could see career specific skills/traits, and an economic system to go along with it:

a la FREELANCER

Mostly I just want to be Harry Mudd

a la FREELANCER

a la FREELANCER

I definitely think it could work, using somewhere like Drozana as the social hub for stuff like ships/tailor/mail etc B)
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Freighter captains would require turning STO into a sandbox MMO like Star Wars Galaxy or Ultima Online. STO is too story-driven for this to happen.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    Yes, I want to deal with the Third Borg Dynasty again.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    I tried something similar myself once; human male engineer from the United Earth Cargo Service, he flew a Malon Battlecruiser (since it looked the most 'cargo vessel-y' to me at the time). Honestly, I got tired of the character since I was never really quite able to connect with him. Ended up revamping the character, crew and backstory into something different.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    @starkaos That is complete TRIBBLE. Yeah the story does take up a chunk, but once done it's basically grind the next faction gear to get to 5, or grind to max to lvl 14 everything.

There is PLENTY of room for sandbox elements in this game like going to Betazed, or running relief supplies to an outpost.

PWE just doesn't want to invest the time and energy to do so.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    talonxv wrote: »
    @starkaos That is complete ****. Yeah the story does take up a chunk, but once done it's basically grind the next faction gear to get to 5, or grind to max to lvl 14 everything.

There is PLENTY of room for sandbox elements in this game like going to Betazed, or running relief supplies to an outpost.

PWE just doesn't want to invest the time and energy to do so.

I already know I would support more sandbox elements.

Those almost useless commodity vendors could offer assignments to do stuff like that.

Qapla!
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    The tuffli and cell ships have been used to make such freighter captains in the past, and as stated the Malon is an end game option.

I seem to recall there were even some foundry missions supporting such a role. But given how stories get unpublished after big changes I don't know if they are still around.

The Nandi has a dabo table on the bridge which makes buying more holograms easier, if you use them. If i had a golden nagus I'd totally use it.

As an alternate to a ferengi, also consider a talaxian captain, they get to salvage rnd materials from enemies.
    The tuffli and cell ships have been used to make such freighter captains in the past, and as stated the Malon is an end game option.

I seem to recall there were even some foundry missions supporting such a role. But given how stories get unpublished after big changes I don't know if they are still around.

The Nandi has a dabo table on the bridge which makes buying more holograms easier, if you use them. If i had a golden nagus I'd totally use it.

As an alternate to a ferengi, also consider a talaxian captain, they get to salvage rnd materials from enemies.

I was going to use my Talaxian KDF to be pretty much just what you described. Cool. ;)

Qapla!
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    Kdf side I made a talaxian pirate. Flew all the flight deck carriers with Orion slavers. They gave out the marauder t5 carrier a while back so that is the ship I ran most at end game: the Latium Lady. Recently I've been experimenting with other ships, the breen the command cruisers, etc.

Worked out as a very fun character. Doing a freighter captain variant I can totally see also being a fun time. Personally, for a freighter captain I'd use an engineer, go heavy into science and engineering skills, then run a variation of Atem's eject warp plasma build with heavy use of tractor beams and repulsors. Since tractor beams are a good freighter/hauling power it fits in my mind. Fed side, use a Yellowstone runabout aka tugboat, as my small craft. Kdf maybe run the free ferengi shuttle they gave away last year which I never unboxed. They are on the auction house too.

Not sure what specs make sense. All of them have a military feel. Strategy and command maybe and define them as logistics and business strategy? Sun Tzu's art of war is taught in business school after all.
  • vendahravendahra Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    I would suggest you go KDF and devote part of your time to marauder DOff assignment. Think of your Naussicans and Orions as mercenaries. If you use a Ferengi, profit is profit, no matter if obtained legally or illegally. You can probably pick up a Tuffli freighter for under 200m EC. Or invest in the Ferengi lockbox ship.

DOffing to the nebulas would be good for a freighter captain too, bring people and things to those colonies.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,735 Community Moderator
    I made a Ferengi Tuffli captain mainly for getting cheap commodities for Fleet projects. The recent changes to Fleet projects made that moot, but I still like the concept. I also have twin Talaxian tanker captains (Malon Battlecruiser), one Fed, one KDF.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    coolbatman wrote: »

a la FREELANCER

you sure you don't wanna be cyrnro jones (trouble with tribbles) ????

Cyrano only ever had tribbles to pet ...

Qapla!
    coolbatman wrote: »

a la FREELANCER

you sure you don't wanna be cyrnro jones (trouble with tribbles) ????

That was another great character... but no, I want to be a human trafficker in STO ;)
  • bonzodog01bonzodog01 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    Playable Talaxians......something else the console is missing!
    XBox One - NFV Rylon - T6 Kolasi Siege Destroyer
    British Imperial Armada
    bonzodog01 wrote: »

you could make a "talaxian" from an "alien" custom race right? One thing I can't fault is the character creator.

you could make a "talaxian" from an "alien" custom race right? One thing I can't fault is the character creator.

You got that right! :)

Aliens are pretty handy for customization. I have not tried a Talaxaian (didn't have to) but I am confident it can be done.

Qapla!
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User

Aliens are pretty handy for customization. I have not tried a Talaxaian (didn't have to) but I am confident it can be done.

Qapla!

I love customizing aliens (BOffs and Captains), there's always so many things you can create - semi-assimilated/Liberated Borg Deferi, Neosapiens, Furions, Yautja, Vulcan/Ferengi half-breeds, so many possibilities...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...

Qapla!

I love customizing aliens (BOffs and Captains), there's always so many things you can create - semi-assimilated/Liberated Borg Deferi, Neosapiens, Furions, Yautja, Vulcan/Ferengi half-breeds, so many possibilities...

I have a KDF Andorian, and some UFP Orions. :)

Qapla!
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    Y'all have given me some ideas for a Foundry Mission. As a long haul truck driver with over twenty years in the business, I think I might be able to come up with just a few ideas for a fun and entertaining story about running freight around the map, lol. Got a career's worth of experience to draw from, after all. It should not be too hard to translate something from that into this game.

Hadn't thought about playing one of my chars as a merchant captain until I saw this. Thanks OP!
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    To go with that concept, Cryptic should add new freighter shapes, or just use the other generic ships more.