test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When are we going to revisit Virinat colony (make Virinat colony a fleet holding)

bubbahotep#3025 bubbahotep Member Posts: 348 Arc User
Virinat colony was destroyed a few years ago in the STO timeline, shouldn't it have been rebuilt by now. They hinted in early mission that maybe it would be rebuilt someday. It was one of the coolest little villages in the game and it's a waste of a map to jsut leave laying around for a Tutorial

They should make it a side mission or a fleet holding to restore building it. Have the option explore the cave, go fishing, tend to the farm, herd the Khellid . Maybe it could have elachi and tasha yar gear or something to unlock. An elachi outfit unlock? or boff?

The town could be rebuilt in stages with it being a fleet holding.

Comments

• turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Since, typically, Fleet Holdings tend to tie in with whatever's going on game wise - Embassies for "New Romulus", Spires for "The Sphere", Research Lab for "Iconian War", K-13 for "Agents of Yesterday) - I have trouble seeing it as a Fleet Holding since there'd really be no way to tie it into anything.

On the flip side, I like the idea. Though it might be better applied to somewhere else; New Romulus (helping the Romulans build new villages), Iconia (Reterraforming the world alongside the Whole), even just some random world as building a colony for refugees from Operation Delta Rising and the Iconian War (I'd enjoy helping the Vaadwaur refugees from one of the Delta-Q patrols build a new colony in the Alpha or Beta Quadrants; Vaadwaur BOffs could easily be a reward for that...)
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I can easily see it becoming a focal point for a Foundry mission. For Cryptic to make something of it, the plot of the game would have to work its way around to making Virinat relevant again. I honestly don't see that happening soon unless the story takes a left turn somewhere or Cryptic needs a wild, Romulan focused tangent. But, then again simple construction work going on at New Romulus could serve just as well for the same type of setting, and that could more easily mean something to the KDF and FED (making it much more easily multi-faction). And this would be revisit three (after the FED's quick jaunt over.)

So, there's a lot of conditions and factors to getting a recovering Virinat officially in game. But here's one of those ideas that'd make good material for a community mission. We don't have access to the Virinat ground map, but we have plenty of other assets that could sell the setting of a colony being rebuilt in the same overall environment.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2016
    Why does so much that we (Env Artists) make, declared a "Waste"? Maps we haven't reused? Waste. Vista areas you can't access? Waste.

We build things for a purpose. Virinat was built to be the intro to the Romulan Storyline. It served that purpose, and did it very well imo. That's all it needed it do. We may reuse it entirely or in part at some point, but if that doesn't happen, it's not wasteful.

In the story, Virinat is pretty well destroyed. The Villagers there either died or escaped. Those that escaped join up with other Romulans, form a flotilla, and eventually help discover and found New Romulus.

You don't go back, and you don't rebuild, because YOU have moved on. You're on to bigger and better things.

Except that you DO go back to Virinat, in the storyline, for the mission "Memory Lane," and Feds go for "Shadow Play."
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Gahhh the spoilers man you ruined the ending!! :wink:
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I'd just like to say I was really happy with Shadow Play - seeing Virinat written from an 'unattached' Fed perspective was very poignant.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Sure, Virinat may be re-colonized at some point. However, I don't see why that potential new colony would be of any interest to the STO storyline.

The galaxy is full of little colonies like that. The only time they ever come into plot attention is when there's some disaster or attack.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Bats. that's not why ST:V sucked. It was bad because it was badly written (Scotty as slapstick comedy relief, center of the galaxy in days at most, "God needs a starship", Sybok can mind-control people just because they told him about being sad, etc) and shoddily directed. (Bill Shatner has many talents. Directing is not among them.)

Virinat will not become significant in the future; in the story, it stopped being the Breadbasket of the Empire when Romulans invented replicators, and was only significant to us in that it's where our Rom toons started off. Galactically, it's of absolutely no import whatsoever - its location isn't even of strategic value for any of our galactic conflicts. The map is beautiful, true enough - and as Taco says, it fulfilled the purpose for which it was designed. Let's move onward, to whole new beautiful worlds. (After all, despite Picard's penchant for staying within the spacelanes, the motto is supposed to be "to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations," n'est-ce pas?)​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    tacofangs wrote: »
    You don't go back, and you don't rebuild, because YOU have moved on. You're on to bigger and better things.

Wow, is rebuilding a colony on a perfectly viable world to honor the lives of those lost now an undertaking that's beneath us? Is it beneath you?

Yep, we're onto bigger and better things, like depopulating the galaxy by shooting down thousands of ships full of crews as usual.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Some people's talents lie in installing water purifiers. Others, in interstellar mayhem in the defense of trillions. Talk about the nobility of saving a single soul and working the soil with your hands all you want. The opportunity to do that was bought with blood.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User

Wow, is rebuilding a colony on a perfectly viable world to honor the lives of those lost now an undertaking that's beneath us? Is it beneath you?
    Rebuilding something over a graveyard rarely works well in fiction.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Virinat should left as a memorial
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
      Wow, is rebuilding a colony on a perfectly viable world to honor the lives of those lost now an undertaking that's beneath us?

Many, many colonies or other settlements have been destroyed on our world, many of which were rebuilt multiple times, many were completely abandoned afterwards. There would be nothing hindering people to rebuild Virinat. However, apart from the apparent safety issue, and the apparent lack of resources and Romulan population as such, it would be no priority, especially, as has been said, it is of no importance on the larger scale, so there is no need for the Republic, even less for the Star Empire, to choose THIS specific planet for recolonization. Especially since we learn that there are loads of other worlds with a similar history. Som of which (Crateris) have way higher significance than our small out of the way farming colony.

But for gameplay reasons: While I often do cry a bit inside if a beautiful map gets used and then disappears - the alternative of revisiting the same map over and over and over again, doesn't sound too enticing.

Personally I would love to help the people of Nimbus III and improve their bidding, but some things don't happen.
      My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
      Carthage, Troy.
      'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
      Judge Dan Haywood
      'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
      l don't know.
      l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
      That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
      Lt. Philip J. Minns
    • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
      Should be noted the Romulans were busy settling a much nicer world (Virinat has sentimental value to us, but it's a tad on the dry side) and every time they make progress someone invades the Alpha Quadrant, it seems, so it's probably pushing back recolonization.
      Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
      Virinat should left as a memorial

...only to be found occupied by Ferengi, using reprogrammed Holo Leetas to tend crops and capture Khellids for Quark Enterprises to resell as pets. Incidentally, all pet Khellids obtained recently have been named "Dabo!"
      Ym9x9Ji.png
      meimeitoo wrote: »
      I do not like Geko ether.
      iconians wrote: »
      With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
    • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User

Yep, we're onto bigger and better things, like depopulating the galaxy by shooting down thousands of ships full of crews as usual.

STO: Farmville is not a thing, but you can always create a foundry mission about re-establishing a colony there.

I'd rather see the Reman undercity added to New Romulas if the developers decide to add some new Romulan content.
    • vendahravendahra Member Posts: 108 Arc User
      If you want a colony fleet holding, wait until we go to the Gamma quadrant. They should let us use New Khitomer as a holding. That place has to start sometime.
    • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
      Why does so much that we (Env Artists) make, declared a "Waste"? Maps we haven't reused? Waste. Vista areas you can't access? Waste.

We build things for a purpose. Virinat was built to be the intro to the Romulan Storyline. It served that purpose, and did it very well imo. That's all it needed it do. We may reuse it entirely or in part at some point, but if that doesn't happen, it's not wasteful.

In the story, Virinat is pretty well destroyed. The Villagers there either died or escaped. Those that escaped join up with other Romulans, form a flotilla, and eventually help discover and found New Romulus.

Except that you DO go back to Virinat, in the storyline, for the mission "Memory Lane," and Feds go for "Shadow Play."

How about making the map available to The Foundry missions creators?
      f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
      Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
      coolbatman wrote: »
      and where is the 3 breasted cat-girl on nimbus III , ehhh ????? everybody says st:V s.u.c.k.e.d. , but if you had a bad sfx house that couldn't do the work ,a teamsters strike,your budget being cut, on top of hitting theaters the same week as Aliens and Batman, and i'd just bet your movie would s.u.c.k too.......

Yopu forgot that ST:V had a HORRIBLE script. Sometimes a movie is just plain bad BECAUSE it's just plain bad. ;)
      Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
      TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
      PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
      Seriously, after all these years down there, no progress has been made on Mol'Rihan at all. Any recovery on Virinat is decades away!
      boldly-watched.png
    • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
      BAD NECROMANCERS!!
    • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
      edited January 2017

I read this and assume tacofangs has never played a video game in his life

I read your comment and have no idea why you believe that. Probably because you offer no reason for holding your odd belief.
    • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
      Yeah no chance of this happening. I mean on Mol Rhian they are still fighting off those clouds of pesky insects and studying Nanov's, there's no money left in the Romulan Republic bank account to spend on bricks after they spent it all on bug spray and Petri dishes!
      SulMatuul.png
    • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
      valoreah wrote: »

I went there a few times because one of my BOFFs dropped his wallet there and we just had to go back and look for it. Heaven forbid he just buys a new one...

But it had his wholesale club card in it!

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
      Network engineers are not ship designers.
      Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    This discussion has been closed.