test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingon warrior in skirt?

radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
So i noticed that Klingon default female armor has skirt now. Wwhat is this? Warriors wearing skirts??

(Been away for quite some time so this is new to me)

EDIT: To clarify this, i want to say that i dont have anything against people using miniskirts if they so choose nor that should a Klingon have dress oprions or not,

I would just like to discuss about the image given of traditional Klingon warrior, watching TV shows, i have never seen Klingon females using a dress in battle conditions, i have seen Klingons as people who choose the most practical standard issue uniform thatwe have seen so many times.

Klingons are klingons and should be wieved on terms that have been set through their lore and fantasy, not from real wortld comparisons but how Klingons are as warriors in battle, not in anywhere else as the default option on character creation is a warrior wwearing uniform.

As far as i am concerned, i think Klingons should all wear the same standard battle armor, no matter the gender. Youi are free to voice your own opinions but lets just stay as Klingons, no real world comparisons as they are fictional character with lore and culture of their own and any opinions should be drawn from that culture and lore.
Thoughts?
Captain Hunt, at your service!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by radagast75 on

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Lursa and Betor wore skirts as well so I’m cool with it.

Edit 1: Even if they would not have worn skirts I’d be cool with this.

Edit 2: I think I like skirts.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    Well, it worked for the Scots.

(Well, I guess. I'm not sure they ever conquered anything but part of England.)
  • radagast75radagast75 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    Sisters of Duras had no honor, they were no warriors.

Also they never actually were in places of real battle anyways plus the skirts were not mini skirts either ;)

I think the Klingon standard issue is still the most pratical battlewear a warrior can have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,450 Arc User
    radagast75 wrote: »
    Sisters of Duras had no honor, they were no warriors.

Also they never actually were in places of real battle anyways plus the skirts were not mini skirts either ;)

I think the Klingon standard issue is still the most pratical battlewear a warrior can have.

Then that's what you should wear. Nobody's making you wear a skirt.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »

At least they still remember their names and people still identify themselves as scottish. How many Europeans would call themselves Saxon, Alemani, Ubii or Hermunduri?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Political debate is always interesting and cultural debate even more but lets just keep inside the game and its setting, shall we :)

Anyway, there is a distictive diffrence between Scottish kilt and the miniskirt given to default Klingon female armor, Kilt is highly practical in many ways ;) but the skirt given to Klingon females is mostly odd on Klingons in my eye and i wont use it since i would not believe a Klingon warrior of Star TRek fantasy would wear one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    Just think of the backlash has they given the skirt to all the other species except for Klingons. Seriously, damned if they do, damned if they don't. OP, just don't wear it. Waste of a thread. :|
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User

Not sure if it is connected to the whole "Devils in skirts" myth perpetuated through films such as Carry on up the Khyber but it is thought that back when the Scots regiments in the British Army did wear kilts in battle that the pschological effect was to compare them to barbarian hordes.

In general though, since the Klingons can be seen to have many aspects of a medievil, feudal society the skirt could be said to have been influenced more by the Romans than the Scots (or Irish, who also wore kilt type garments) and the Roman empire was fairly large when those blokes in leather skirts were tramping over Europe, Middle East and parts of Africa.

edited November 2016
    Edit 2: I think I like skirts.

Should we take this as a confession?
    patrickngo wrote: »
    So i noticed that Klingon default female armor has skirt now. Wwhat is this? Warriors wearing skirts??

Thoughts?

Have ye never heard of a "Kilt" laddie?

Observation: some of the nastiest badasses in European history ran 'round in northern britain's rotten weather in plaid skirts...

We used to call them teachers back when I was at school in the 1970's .... a tartan skirt seemed to be the standard issue for female teachers in Scotland back then, thank Q that by the time I reached high school in the 80's teachers were getting younger and had more fashion sense :smile:

lol-a telling hit!

but seriously, as someone else observed, the Romans took on the known world and dominated it from western asia to the Atlantic and from north Africa to Scotland...and their armies were mostly italian guys in short leather skirts..and sandals.

If anything, someone willing to go into battle in a short leather skirt is someone perhaps a bit too 'committed' to ignore and far too dangerous to ridicule. (either because they're that badass, or because they're that outright crazy...)

On saying that the Italian guys in the leather skirts did build a dirty great wall to avoid tangling with the "hairy savages" in the plaid skirts ..... though the reported lack of under garments by my erstwhile ancestors might have been a factor.

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    OP, you probably never wore a skirt in your life. You retain superior mobility wearing a skirt and you look better fighting as well pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    OP, you probably never wore a skirt in your life. You retain superior mobility wearing a skirt and you look better fighting as well pig-1.gif​​

Not to mention the superior air conditioning that is standard with a kilt/skirt.

• lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User

The TRIBBLE's, in WWII, called the kilted Scots soldiers "The Ladies From Hell". They had a reputation among their enemies for never surrendering, never faltering. They were efficient, brave and relentless warriors. And, as someone else here has observed, the kilt allows greater freedom of movement. If, as a male, you've never worn a kilt you should try it. I'd also point out that, thru all of human history across all cultures, skirts/dresses/robes/kilts have been far more common, in combat and out, than pants.
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    lomax6996 wrote: »

The ****'s, in WWII, called the kilted Scots soldiers "The Ladies From Hell". They had a reputation among their enemies for never surrendering, never faltering. They were efficient, brave and relentless warriors. And, as someone else here has observed, the kilt allows greater freedom of movement. If, as a male, you've never worn a kilt you should try it. I'd also point out that, thru all of human history across all cultures, skirts/dresses/robes/kilts have been far more common, in combat and out, than pants.

Fair point, what would it take to make such attire business acceptable in the US and Europe?
    kjfett_14091.jpg
    kjfett wrote: »
    lomax6996 wrote: »

The ****'s, in WWII, called the kilted Scots soldiers "The Ladies From Hell". They had a reputation among their enemies for never surrendering, never faltering. They were efficient, brave and relentless warriors. And, as someone else here has observed, the kilt allows greater freedom of movement. If, as a male, you've never worn a kilt you should try it. I'd also point out that, thru all of human history across all cultures, skirts/dresses/robes/kilts have been far more common, in combat and out, than pants.

Fair point, what would it take to make such attire business acceptable in the US and Europe?

Other than a major attitude change which fairly reflected the fact that it is the 21st Century and that attire should not be gender limited because of some idealised taboo ... perhaps introducing the HR manager to a Claymore (sword not explosive).

I do not really want any real world comparisons.

Wwhat i wish is to have debate about Klingons as a warrior, not as a civilian and also as a Klingon of era we who have been watching shows know them.

Never have i seen a klingon wearing mini skirts, MINI skirts, not kilts when going to battle, the skirt we ahev here in STO does not resemble any kilt at all either, it is tight and unpractical for warrior of KDF, furthermore, Klingons have always been seen in the shows as a people who almost all the time wear the basic Klingon standard issue battlewwear, no skirts, this has been uniform code for Klingon forces as far as i know it.

In fact, i do not have anything at all against people using these options when playing Klingon or any other race, if you wanna wear a skirt, go ahead, i use them too but never on battle, my Klingons only wear standard issue battle uniform and feds have their standard uniform, my captain wears skirt in more formal situations and when going clubbing, she uses pretty clothes.

I just find it a bit off for Klingons to have skirt as a DEFAULT option in the character creation when in fact, the standard wear has been what it has been in the shows. Nothing sexy, just plain practical battlewear.

This, i wanted to discuss about. Whether it should be pants for all Klingons on the creation or not. Not what people should wear when they play but wwhat Klingons are and what image the game is giving, i dont think the more sexy miniskirt is proper for Klingon standard uniform code and you have reight to disagree or agree and tell me why it is as it is for you.

Remember, Klingons are Klingons, not scotts or anything and as such, shpould be only compared to what lore of them has been.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PS: Wwearing kilt is highly pracical in battle and othersituations but unlike many think, long dress/robe is highly unpractical, you tend to step on it and fell on the ground and as for miniskirt which is what we have here, it is tight and restrictive wear, only suitable for looking good, it gets practical though when you raise it out of the way but then you could as well wear panties withpout the miniskirt :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
  • admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    I do not really want any real world comparisons.

Wwhat i wish is to have debate about Klingons as a warrior, not as a civilian and also as a Klingon of era we who have been watching shows know them.

Never have i seen a klingon wearing mini skirts, MINI skirts, not kilts when going to battle, the skirt we ahev here in STO does not resemble any kilt at all either, it is tight and unpractical for warrior of KDF, furthermore, Klingons have always been seen in the shows as a people who almost all the time wear the basic Klingon standard issue battlewwear, no skirts, this has been uniform code for Klingon forces as far as i know it.

In fact, i do not have anything at all against people using these options when playing Klingon or any other race, if you wanna wear a skirt, go ahead, i use them too but never on battle, my Klingons only wear standard issue battle uniform and feds have their standard uniform, my captain wears skirt in more formal situations and when going clubbing, she uses pretty clothes.

I just find it a bit off for Klingons to have skirt as a DEFAULT option in the character creation when in fact, the standard wear has been what it has been in the shows. Nothing sexy, just plain practical battlewear.

This, i wanted to discuss about. Whether it should be pants for all Klingons on the creation or not. Not what people should wear when they play but wwhat Klingons are and what image the game is giving, i dont think the more sexy miniskirt is proper for Klingon standard uniform code and you have reight to disagree or agree and tell me why it is as it is for you.

Remember, Klingons are Klingons, not scots or anything and as such, should be only compared to what lore of them has been.

Well ... they never fought Iconians. So we should not have them doing it in STO, even if the Scots might have ...
    They also didn't use personal force fields as standard gear. Even if the Romans may have ...

There are a lot of things Klingons have not been seen doing before STO, like hanging around with so many Orions, who by the way, go into battle with their belly buttons showing (scandalous)!

It isn't a great leap to assume that with all these Orion ladies around, a Klingon might want to up their game in some 'fashion'.
    On the flip side it isn't hard to see the Orions opting for heavier clothing or gear. In my own characters the Klingon ladies will wear a skirt now and then, but the Orions have adopted more of a standard Klingon uniform. Call it cross cultural contamination if you like. It also makes the character uniform choices less boring.

My main Gorn is running around dressed like Khan, and could not give two cents for having a logical reason for it. ;)

In any case what difference is any armor going to make in a universe where weapons have settings that disintegrate solid matter fairly casually? It is more insane to say that the polo shirts of the original series crew were somehow worse than wearing heavy bulky useless steel. At least they could retain some agility to maybe get out of the way of the disintegrators. The only good reason to worry about leather or heavier covering in the KDF is that Klingons are prone to keep bringing knives to disruptor fights. ;)

Qapla!
    As far as i am concerned, i think Klingons should all wear the same standard battle armor, no matter the gender.

I disagree 100%. "Space Barbie is the real endgame."

My captain and crew have a theme. One Federation captain is a Mirror Universe defector so he and his crew wear Enterprise era Mirror uniforms, complete with daggers. My TOS captain and crew wear TOS uniforms and use TOS weapons, and so on.

Saying "All Federation crew must should wear standard 25th century Federation uniforms" limits creativity and our choice to give our crew a different backstory from the vanilla one.
    edited November 2016
    What dUniform code is not really meant to be interesting, it is meant to be practical and useful, nothing more, mostly it is boring ;P

Players may make their own choices but no matter the developers orplayers wish to see the thing, all factions have their military order with certain uniform code. I just cant see KDF choosing the uniform the developers have chosen for them, the most obvious choice i would see would still be the one seen in TNG, DS) and Voy.

Its not at all about what difference a certain clothing would make in the world where wwe have directed energy weapons but what is a uniform code for soldiers in battle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2016
    What dUniform code is not really meant to be interesting, it is meant to be practical and useful, nothing more, mostly it is boring ;P

So you want to the devs to make STO more boring? A noble goal!

;)

• admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    As far as i am concerned, i think Klingons should all wear the same standard battle armor, no matter the gender.

I disagree 100%. "Space Barbie is the real endgame."

My captain and crew have a theme. One Federation captain is a Mirror Universe defector so he and his crew wear Enterprise era Mirror uniforms, complete with daggers. My TOS captain and crew wear TOS uniforms and use TOS weapons, and so on.

Saying "All Federation crew must should wear standard 25th century Federation uniforms" limits creativity and our choice to give our crew a different backstory from the vanilla one.

The C-Store would suffer greatly. ;)

I have taken a fair bit of my dilithium over the years and put it towards cool things like uniforms and ships. I already had uniforms and ships, but that isn't the point. I wanted my choice of uniforms and ships, soI could go with a variety of themes.

I spent a bit on Fleet Modules so I could have decent end game ships for my KDF faction, that also fit themes. I just HAD to have a Fleet K'tinga T5U for my main Klingon, and I had to have a Fleet Nausicaan Destroyer for my Nausicaan, so by golly, I put time and zen into Fleet credits, Fleet development, and Modules.

Variety is the spice of life, we should have as much as possible, and I for one suggest that this is kind of a done topic. ;)

Qapla!
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User

Remember, Klingons are Klingons, not scotts or anything and as such, shpould be only compared to what lore of them has been.

See TAS: The Time Trap. Kali, the token female Klingon in that episode, wears the same top as her male colleagues but with a short skirt. And a rocking hairdo.

Is that canon enough? It's what my 23c Klingon female crew were rocking before they brought in the "Day of the Dove" outfits.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »

Thoughts?

Have ye never heard of a "Kilt" laddie?

Observation: some of the nastiest badasses in European history ran 'round in northern britain's rotten weather in plaid skirts...

IMG_6824_zpsqwxnbly2.jpg
    Problem with you folks seems to be that you take this debate quite personally and argue about creativity and such but the thing is, i want to talk about Klingon uniform code for battle and how a Klingon female warrior is firts depicted on a player when he or she creates first Klingon female warrior.

Uniform code has no room for creativity, anyone who has served in some sort of authority should know this and that uniform code is not for being interesting but being practical and perphaps in some situations, represent authority and formality.

As i said, i care not, what you wish your character to look like, it is none of my business, use your own creativity and backstories when you create your characters but i think, a Klingon warrior should be depicted as a traditional Klingon warrior with standard uniform for battle as that is what a warrior lives for. I strongly think that female Klingon warriuor would never wear such uniform in a battle nor would a TV show depict her as we see a standard Klingon uniform in the character creation. Why the need to make Klingon warriors as space barbies? What next, a female Jem'hadar with mini skirt and top??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]