test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

weapon variants. the best of the best?

nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
I know that everyone has their favorites,and that mods are critical, but lets talk the flavors...

so far i have found...

Antiproton Chroniton Antiproton Fluidic Antiproton
Herald Antiproton Radiant Antiproton Voth Antiproton
Disruptor Bio Molecular Disruptor Elachi Disruptor Nanite Disruptor
Plasma Disruptor Polarized Disruptor Resonant Disruptor
Phaser Agony Phaser Bio Molecular Phaser Phased Bio-Matter Retrofit Phaser
Plasma Caustic Plasma Corrosive Plasma Plasmatic Biomatter Romulan Plasma
Polaron Dominion Polaron Phased Polaron Protonic Polaron Thoron Infused Polaron
Vaadwaur Polaron
Tetryon Phased Tetryon Destabilizing Tetryon Phased Tetryon Piercing Tetryon
Polarized Tetryon Refracting Tetryon Resonant Tetryon

so what flavor of each are preferred??
before you trash polaron and tet, I have a Jem hadar ship so i want to fit polaron weapons, and Tet is one of the two that has 2 omni beams
u7acy6aymfw7.gif
We Need BERETS in the tailor

Comments

• nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    I would suggest avoiding weapons that have to roll twice to get an effect, like "on crit, X% to have effect Y occur." You can also with an "in type" mixture for some fun, too.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    but within each group, is one better than the other, say, is the corrosive plasma better than romulan because of a proc?
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I would suggest avoiding weapons that have to roll twice to get an effect, like "on crit, X% to have effect Y occur." You can also with an "in type" mixture for some fun, too.

Actually, "on crit, 25% chance to..." procs routinely outperform 2.5% procs. The moment you get your crit chance above 10%, they kick much backside. Vanilla anti proton is the king of this, it's effect being entirely crit-driven.

I think the OP is over-emphasizing the importance of damage type - the procs themselves can be VERY different within a single damage type (particularly antiproton). Its a case of what kind of occasional crazy do you want (the proc), then making sure your consoles and buffs align with the damage type that initial choice pushes you into.
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Actually, not what I was referring to at all. Every Antiproton weapon adds +20% damage on a critical hit. I was referring to those who have in the description "On Crit: X chance to do whatever..." like this:

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Voth_Antiproton_Dual_Cannons

...because you have to crit first, then you have a second chance for the effect to occur. You are rolling the crit, then rolling to "confirm" your crit.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,449 Community Moderator
    OP forgot Withering Disruptors from the Terran rep track.

Unless you're going for unique procs and not just the different versions of each weapon.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Actually, not what I was referring to at all. Every Antiproton weapon adds +20% damage on a critical hit. I was referring to those who have in the description "On Crit: X chance to do whatever..." like this:

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Voth_Antiproton_Dual_Cannons

...because you have to crit first, then you have a second chance for the effect to occur. You are rolling the crit, then rolling to "confirm" your crit.

And vanilla antiproton IS one of those... just its chance to trigger on crit is 100% :). Larger point stands, If your chance to crit is geater than 10%, they're BETTER than the typical 2.5% proc. And it ain't exactly hard to get your crit chance over 10%...
    nixie50 wrote: »
    but within each group, is one better than the other, say, is the corrosive plasma better than romulan because of a proc?

Some are better or worse depending on how you use them. Radiant antiproton for example is extremely niche because the proc is defensive i na game where there's almost no risk in casual play -- but a dedicated super-tank loves it. For a long time vanilla Antiproton was 'the best' because it's comparatively easy to build around high general crit chance global effects and per-weapon crit damage to get the highest multiplicative end result.

These days I believe Disruptor, building off the Terran rep super disruptor weapon and its rep store-bought cousins is considered the apex of raw damage dealing. Though again, making that choice means your whole build is about supporting that choice if you're going for maximum omnomnom.

There are builds around protonic polarion. I have both agony and phased biomater based ships that do quite serviceably (the KT consoles have an early set bonus for phaser and photon torp). My Tholian Tarantula uses tetryon for thematic reasons and there's quite a few consoles and other goodies that follow from that decision (e.g. web console, full set from the butterfly mission). I have a whole document that tracks all the set bonuses that boost each of the 6 energy damage types, so I can chase the appropriate quest gear and similar links can be found on most of the wiki pages (thought they're a bit spotty).
  • i personally prefer Bio-matter phasers, people may argue these weapons are terrible but i find the dps boost is immense when used in conjunction with Kemocite (KLWs) abilities, however i do use some normal phasers to keep that possibility to disable the enemies subsystems, its still effective either way. and it maybe wrong of me to mix or rainbow phasers but i find it better than using phasers alone.
    edited September 2016
    Both the Xindi bio-matter weapons are 100% vicious on any ship with a gravity well or just general high target density. Have to be a tiny bit more clever with the plasmatic bio-matter as the burst will jump back to friendly ships including yourself...

Which actually brings up a related point - some hulls/ships are better with certain weapons because they have access to consoles that affect a single energy type. For example only the Vorgon ships can carry the Harasser Probe console which has gigantic passive benefits that tie to Tetryon.
  • fair enough xD

i must buy myself some Bio phaser beams xD only using cannons so far
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

I actually think these are some of the most interesting energy types. They are the only weapon types where YOU can actively control/influence how often the proc goes off because you can alter your CRTH chance to suit your needs. A Romulan toon with high CRTH could really take advantage of this type of interaction if they wanted to. Heck anyone using the science ultimate skill ability could do the same, that's going to be a 50% chance to proc your weapons for 30secs!
    SulMatuul.png
  • lordsteve1 wrote: »

I actually think these are some of the most interesting energy types. They are the only weapon types where YOU can actively control/influence how often the proc goes off because you can alter your CRTH chance to suit your needs. A Romulan toon with high CRTH could really take advantage of this type of interaction if they wanted to. Heck anyone using the science ultimate skill ability could do the same, that's going to be a 50% chance to proc your weapons for 30secs!

i concur :P
  • autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    nikeix wrote: »
    Actually, "on crit, 25% chance to..." procs routinely outperform 2.5% procs. The moment you get your crit chance above 10%, they kick much backside. Vanilla anti proton is the king of this, it's effect being entirely crit-driven.
    There are builds around protonic polaron

Hey! Stop dragging me into other people's conversations!

I mean, *I'M* the "Crazy One" around here using [DrainX] oriented builds to "turn the lights/engines off" on my $Target(s) so as to maximize my Accuracy Overflow to achieve very consistent [CrtH] above spec results that yield much higher Protonic Damage Procs from a Turret armed Cruiser that just cripples almost anything it shoots at while boosting its own Power levels up toward 125 All.

But hey, that's just *my* answer to the Chuck Lots Of Dice problem of making procs "work" for you ...
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    When Vanilla Anti Proton is suggested...is that the Fleet variant? Thanks for replies in advance.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

I'm fairly certain the fleet version is cherry-vanilla :).
    edited September 2016
    I mean, *I'M* the "Crazy One" around here

Been meaning to ask you if you've considered a Thermionic torpedo in that mix?

I'm puttering with turret-based proc-zilla builds (particularly Herald antiproton). Mass bombardment with TDI chronoton procs is conceptually pretty funny too.

I'd already been looking at protonic polaron/protonic everything for a DX4 build in honor of its coming with the Proton Charges console when I stumbled over your evil schemes :).
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    The elachi disruptor is the best proc in the game. But getting a set with good mods will cost you a fortune.
  • autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    Been meaning to ask you if you've considered a Thermionic Torpedo Launcher in that mix?

Not particularly. Main reason is I've never picked up any of the Tholian ships, so I haven't had access to any of them. That said, a 15% chance of a Weapon/Engine Drain proc is far inferior to a 100% of an All Power Drain on a Neutronic Torpedo. So, nice thought, but I'm not seeing an advantage in the option given other possibilities now available.
    I'm puttering with turret-based proc-zilla builds (particularly Herald antiproton). Mass bombardment with TDI chronoton procs is conceptually pretty funny too.

I'd been wondering about a "main" Turret build using Temporal Store bought items, but really all you'd be getting out of the procs is Shield Hardness and Impulse Speed/Turn, neither of which is all that much of a problem (really) for a Turret build ... so ... meh.

That said ... I have been contemplating a Nukara/Nukara "double triple" pair of sets on the summer Vorgon set, filling out the remaining weapon slots with Refracting Tetryon Turrets as possibly the most oddball variation possible, although that would be throwing away the +10% Accuracy to Beams from the weapon set bonus. :(
    I'd already been looking at protonic polaron/protonic everything for a DX4 build in honor of its coming with the Proton Charges console when I stumbled over your evil schemes :).

I really need to post an update to my Solanae build in that thread (and my Terran build too), but at the moment I'm waiting for the next Upgrade Weekend to do the TP dump and try to push the performance much higher. For me, though, the key thing was that the build was basically VERY functional "when bought" without any upgrades whatsoever, and there was plenty of leeway for doing lots of variants and variations. And that was before Temporal Spec came out and upended everything.

Now, thanks to TheFallenPheonix over on r/stobuilds, I'm looking at ways to squeeze Eject Warp Plasma III and Tractor Beam Repulsors (with pull DOff) into the mix so as to maximize Cross-wiring from Temporal Spec to speed up the rate of fire coming out of the Turrets.

I'm also starting to wonder if I ought to build a DJCT variant instead of a Solanae for the Proton Shotgun (3-piece DJCT) and maybe pulling in the Advanced Thoron Infused Dual Heavy Cannons to add yet more exotic damage sources (Proton Shotgun, Isokinetic Cannon) ... although I probably won't, since I'm still Space Poor, and the build doesn't have [EPG] hanging off it everywhere (since everything is going towards [DrainX] instead).

Although ... that said ... if someone wanted to try doing a DJCT Shotgun + Isokinetic Cannon combo supplemented by Protonic Turrets and built out for max Embassy [EPG] and Exploiter [+Pol] Consoles backed by Gravity Well, Tractor Beam Repulsors (DOffed for pull) and Eject Warp Plasma with a Temporal Warfare primary spec and using the Science Ultimate ... well ... who knows what might emerge from the rubble of the Conventional Wisdom? o:)B)
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,263 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    I know that everyone has their favorites,and that mods are critical, but lets talk the flavors...

so far i have found...

Antiproton Chroniton Antiproton Fluidic Antiproton
    Herald Antiproton Radiant Antiproton Voth Antiproton
    Disruptor Bio Molecular Disruptor Elachi Disruptor Nanite Disruptor
    Plasma Disruptor Polarized Disruptor Resonant Disruptor
    Phaser Agony Phaser Bio Molecular Phaser Phased Bio-Matter Retrofit Phaser
    Plasma Caustic Plasma Corrosive Plasma Plasmatic Biomatter Romulan Plasma
    Polaron Dominion Polaron Phased Polaron Protonic Polaron Thoron Infused Polaron
    Vaadwaur Polaron
    Tetryon Phased Tetryon Destabilizing Tetryon Phased Tetryon Piercing Tetryon
    Polarized Tetryon Refracting Tetryon Resonant Tetryon

so what flavor of each are preferred??
    before you trash polaron and tet, I have a Jem hadar ship so i want to fit polaron weapons, and Tet is one of the two that has 2 omni beams

You need a POLL question.

IMO pure Antiproton rules​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    it is save to assume that the order is somewhat correct, the nuances are always there depending on variating factors. So there can never be an absolute anyhow. Even though ani form of antiproton is basically meta by now, without a high enough crit chance they simply suck.
    Also as mentioned already, if the proc is a defensive bonus, even a good one...they basically suck, because the proc is not needed in this game.
    So in other words, a static list would work if you had a list of parameters to work with.

and one other thing that is completely not mentioned would be complementary sets that boost said weapon type. Phasers really started to fall massively behind until they got 2 sets that directly boosted their dmg and were relatively easy to incorporate into existing builds. Same with tetryon, polaron, etc.
    Considering all that, I'd even say that disruptors have the highest potential.
    Go pro or go home
    I'm fairly certain the fleet version is cherry-vanilla :).

Yum! My favorite! Thanks.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    Surprised Coalition Disruptors are never mentioned. I'm so glad they've been made account-bound provided we didn't already equip them by the time the change took place.

Elachi Disruptors also seem really dangerous, but unfortunately so few if any on the exchange with the proper low marks to make them worthwhile upgrade candidates and not a sad waste when the masses keep opening them on high level characters.

I wish we could check-mark the modified sounds off from such weapons so they default to their standard type. I'd like all my disruptors to sound like ordinary ones, and not the high pitched pewpew, in addition to standardizing the visuals.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    That said ... I have been contemplating a Nukara/Nukara "double triple" pair of sets on the summer Vorgon set, filling out the remaining weapon slots with Refracting Tetryon Turrets as possibly the most oddball variation possible, although that would be throwing away the +10% Accuracy to Beams from the weapon set bonus. :(
    The Refracting proc is most effective combined with a Grav Well. You might have to give up Tyken's if you want better performance from the procs.
  • alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    In terms of variants, I personally enjoyed using the Xindi Phased Biomatter beams and Romulan Plasma beams. Both offered me a considerable damage boost at the time that I was using them, and the visuals were great. Since the Kelvin Lockbox dropped though, I have been using Kelvin phasers exclusively.
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
    I'm currently running Radiant Anti Proton Mk XIV Epic Dmgx3 CrtD all around the ship. So, if I replaced these with just straight Advanced Fleet Anti Proton CrtDx3 Dmgx1 and got those up to the same Mk and rarity, I would be better off?
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• jahh75#9613 jahh75 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Sorry guys, new PS4 player here and I have a question that's slightly off topic. Being a new member restricts my abilities to post currently.

Which is better for defense for a tank type build? Sol defense set or Quantum phase impulse, deflector and shield? Or perhaps a combination? Any ideas or suggestions would be great, Thanks in advance.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Sorry guys, new PS4 player here and I have a question that's slightly off topic. Being a new member restricts my abilities to post currently.

Which is better for defense for a tank type build? Sol defense set or Quantum phase impulse, deflector and shield? Or perhaps a combination? Any ideas or suggestions would be great, Thanks in advance.

as a pure mitigation tank sol. quantum phase applications is a little less tanky but has more damage potential more so when paired with quantum phase catalysts.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.