What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

We need to take a step back in ship design

1235»

Comments

• Options
    h4p4xh4p4x Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    I know it's cliche', but looks aren't everything. I'm not a big fan of the JJverse Enterprise (those ridiculous engines) or the Temporal (waffle iron) Battlecruiser, and I own them both; it's their performances that make them attractive.

Say what you will, but those ships are powerful. ;)
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Yes, I did know that but pressed a bit to make a corny joke. :)

Buships is also part of the Honorverse.

yep. :)
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    The Ranger has finally grown on me, My first TOS ship
    Good, now for the golfball:
    shipfanlaf_by_marhawkman-dacbhld.png

It's canon so it counts
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
      As long as we don't get a ship that actually looks like a pancake, I'm cool with most of the designs really.

I'd love to have a classic looking UFO look a like ship, like those from the 40s and 50s ;)

I'd pay Zen for this:
      Forbidden_Planet_space_ship_2.jpg

Same <3o:)<3
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
    • Options
      ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
      edited September 2016
      My ships are normally named after Characters, the Planet, and the Bellerephon from Forbidden Planet. :)

In fact my Temporal Recruit is named Altaira Morbius.
      'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
      Judge Dan Haywood
      'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
      l don't know.
      l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
      That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
      Lt. Philip J. Minns
    • Options
      mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      edited September 2016

I'd pay Zen for this:

Meh. I want this.

61tVjIBF6FL._SL1200_-1070x430.jpg
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • Options
      As far as we know, there is no equivalent of "FTL Light" that would illuminate space for FTL sensors, so passive detection would be very limited

You don't know any of this stuff. Nor do I.

But here's a wild guess that's is at least based on something...

If NASA's Alcubierre drive theory is at all close to the mark, a warp drive produces a gravity impact (i.e. bending of space) roughly the size of... oh say Jupiter was the smallest the last I heard. Which may be why Spock said a cloaking device would require nearly all the power a ship could produce- it would be running two warp drives in effect with the second hiding the first plus the visual cloaking effect.

In other words, the ship and its effect in show wouldn't work like they said it would.

The real answer is that the writers wanted to use a certain story, and that's how they wrote it. They weren't interested in either the technology or the science in a Star Trek sense- they just wanted a 'stealth fighter' in space because that's was what was in the news.

In short, stupid writers.

While Lawrence Krauss and other scientists tend to see The Alcubierre drive as a potential "realistic" warp drive, the depictions of warp drives and the in-universe and background material technological descriptions don't really match that well. The basic idea does, and with some hand-waving one could perhaps argue that the energy requirements could perhaps fit.

But anyway, detecting a Jupiter mass across several light years is actually not easy. If it was, we'd probably have detected planets a
      As long as we don't get a ship that actually looks like a pancake, I'm cool with most of the designs really.

I'd love to have a classic looking UFO look a like ship, like those from the 40s and 50s ;)

I'd pay Zen for this:

Same <3o:)<3

Meh. I want this.

I'd love an Adamski saucer. <3B)<3
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
    • Options
      vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
      for me, the TMP Constitution is THE starship design. it's everything the TOS ship should have been from the begining. in the TNG era, my favorite is Defiant by far, with the Nebula a distant second. not a real fan of the Gal class. it got worse with Voyager and the lets design ships based on garden tools. yes, Nova and Dauntless I'm looking at you
      Spock.jpg

• Options
      drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
      ltminns wrote: »
      My ships are normally named after Characters, the Planet, and the Bellerephon from Forbidden Planet. :)

In fact my Temporal Recruit is named Altaira Morbius.

In many ways, one can almost view Forbidden Planet as the actual pilot for Star Trek. The plot would carry over without a issue. Kirk (at least TOS 1st season version) and Adams are almost interchangeable in the Captain role as is "Doc" Ostrow and McCoy.

A bit of a reach- Spock and Morbius share a good deal in common.

Truly a great movie. I'd take over any the Star Trek movies in fact, without glancing back.
    • Options
      for me, the TMP Constitution is THE starship design. it's everything the TOS ship should have been from the begining. in the TNG era, my favorite is Defiant by far, with the Nebula a distant second. not a real fan of the Gal class. it got worse with Voyager and the lets design ships based on garden tools. yes, Nova and Dauntless I'm looking at you

They wrecked it for me by taking away the spinning, sparkly lights on the front of the engine pods.
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
    • Options
      solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
      Artistic license is one thing, but lately all of these new ships that are being added to the game are just... ugly. Temporal vessels, Dyson vessels; they all look like Tron in space, not star trek. The kelvin line stuff isnt terrible but it's on the edge.

What happened to classic star trek ship design? This hardly feels like a star trek IP anymore with all of the neon lights.

The only thing that bugs me about the recent ship designs are the gaps in the hull, that's about it, but other than that, no issue.
    • Options
      jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User

I'd pay Zen for this:

Meh. I want this.

Pfft i want this :D
      Miss-Flying-Saucer.jpg
    • Options
      ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
      I have probably seen Forbidden Planet over fifty times. I never get tired of that movie. When it came to TV in NYC in the late 50's, it was shown on WOR's 'The Million Dollar Movie'. That showed the same movie (twice) every day for a week. I caught it quite a few times then. Have the DVD and will plop it in (or a digital copy) every so often.

Truly a great Sci-Fi movie.
      'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
      Judge Dan Haywood
      'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
      l don't know.
      l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
      That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
      Lt. Philip J. Minns