What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sector Space: Spawning Inside of Stars?

Comments

• Options
    donburritodonburrito Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Nukara, Bajor, and Defera are the ones that instantly spring to mind as its happened at each of those places to me several times.
    Online DJ and Audio Engineer for Kirtang Pirate Radio and occasional Blog Writer for The G & T Show
    Facebook Page: Don Burrito
    Twitter: @DonBurrito143
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    Nukara, Japori, and the Klingon Fleet Starbase. The most recent examples that I can remember.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2016
    Ok, I've looked at a bunch of these systems and the problem isn't what I thought. I thought that we'd squashed some spawn points by putting them inside of the suns. But alas, there are no spawn points inside of the suns. My theory at this point is that this is the same collision/spawn bug that allows people to get into the Shuttlebay of ESD, and pretty much anywhere else. Not something I can fix (obviously).

But I might be able to put in some duct tape and bailing wire to reduce the chances of things happening. No guarantees.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. You don't need to report anymore, I think this can just happen anywhere. . . :::sad taco:::

So that this thread isn't a complete loss, here's a tiny goat in a sweater:

The issue is not limited to stars(!). I've had it happen to me at the Klingon Fleet Starbase.

The primary conditions necessary for it to happen seem to be that the "door" to exit to the Orbit Instance allows the ship to be "too close" to the star (or starlike object) such that a ship can be pressed right up against the star when accessing the "door" to shift zones. That location when switching zones then gets recorded (I'm presuming), but without enough specificity/resolution to prevent returning to Sector Space "too close" to the starlike object, thereby making it possible to zone in INSIDE the star (or Klingon Fleet Starbase geometry), which is "impermeable" from the inside, so you can't just fly out of it.

Simplest solution I can think of to globally fix this issue for ALL objects in Sector Space would be to increase the size of the "zone of exclusion" around all stars and objects which would prevent Player ships from approaching them quite so closely. I say this because the issue only occurs when switching zones while "too close" to the geometry of "solid" objects in Sector Space.

If the issue is logging out or changing maps while "too close" to the geometry of the star, putting invisible collision in there, at whatever distance, wouldn't help. You'd just get stuck inside of the invisible collision instead of the star itself.
    On a completely different tangent ... why is it that New Romulus (the planet) does not have the usual "white out" rumble effect when flying too close to the planet's surface, unlike pretty much every other planetary body in the game?

Conversely, the "white out" rumble effect happens over too WIDE a radius around the planetary body in the Crystaline Catastrophe instances, such that it feels like the radius of the atmosphere is DOUBLE the radius of the rocky planetary body.

I mention these things on the off chance that there might be a bit of reusable code involved for collision detection which you might want to have a look at in relation to the problem with getting locked inside of stars (and starbase geometry) in sector space.

Unrelated.
    Would this include spawning in Sector Space coming out of missions (Red Alerts, Queues, Episodes) and ending up at Sol? I've had this happen with a few Romulan characters for sure. Not stuck in the star, but I have no idea why I'd spawn at Sol when I was previously in the Tau Dewa sector.

No, this is due to the map you were on not sending you back to a proper spawn point. So it sends you to the map's Start Spawn, which, for Beta, is at Sol.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Ok, I've looked at a bunch of these systems and the problem isn't what I thought. I thought that we'd squashed some spawn points by putting them inside of the suns. But alas, there are no spawn points inside of the suns. My theory at this point is that this is the same collision/spawn bug that allows people to get into the Shuttlebay of ESD, and pretty much anywhere else. Not something I can fix (obviously).

Endless source of fun, that. Although the ESD shuttlebay was much more fun than the inside of stars.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

Endless source of fun, that. Although the ESD shuttlebay was much more fun than the inside of stars.

So what you're saying is. . . if I shrink down the ESD shuttlebay, and stick it inside of every star, people will stop complaining about this bug?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Nah, what's REALLY fun: hiding in the Jenolan Sphere!
    screenshot_2016_06_02_07_15_09_by_marhawkman-daa4d71.jpg
    Yes, I did that intentionally. Also it's easy to get out... just dock with it. :p The interact button stays while you're inside.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Oh my Gawd!

Baby goats in sweaters!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yyL7L4J-M4s
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    warpangel wrote: »

So what you're saying is. . . if I shrink down the ESD shuttlebay, and stick it inside of every star, people will stop complaining about this bug?

Yup!!, "i got stuck in a star!!... ohhh, shuttlebay!, shinny!!"... see?. it will work!, work with babies, will work with players!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    @tacofangs it's not any particular star from my experience. It's basically any star that you park your ship beside. I do a lot of contraband farming and I often log off beside a star and when I log back in again the next day I am sometimes trapped inside the star.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    You're awesome Taco!

I often get stuck in the Japori Star while finishing the Japori patrol.

Also, if you have time, could you also fix the bug where moving to sector space from the Romulan Flotilla and Tholian red alert sends the character to the Sol System on the sector space map?
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I don't notice the issue occurring in specific stars so much as I notice it occur after logging out and back into the game. If I finish a story mission, patrol or whatever and I spawn outside of a star, but very close to that star. I can log out and upon logging in later, I have a decent chance of spawning inside the star itself.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Baby goat in a sweater was worth it.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Their planning to take over the world with cuteness!

I for one welcome our new overlords, and as a reminder I can be useful in rounding up the Humans for the wool mines. =3​​

They wag their tails when they're happy, like a puppy. *Dies from cuteness overload*

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    I once, long ago, spawned in a much bigger vessel near Qo'nos.
    The ship of another player, i got free when he docked.

Never had that happen again, a 1 time thing, it seemed.

Stars: few occasions, can't remember which though...
    Doesn't happen too frequently.
    I just jump to another server and I'm free.
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • Options
    mas134gluck123mas134gluck123 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    Kobali, Argala, Orias, Defera
  • Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    The way I've noticed it when I autopilot to the planet and end up right next to the star of the system, starting the mission(s) and after completion of them, end up spawning inside the star because of the close proximity of where I entered the system. Most common ones I've had this happen to me is the Alhena system during Defense Contract, Sh'mar near the Zibal system during Distress Signal and the Traelus System during Satellite Repair. Maybe think about moving the point where the autopilot takes you?
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    a
    valoreah wrote: »
    @tacofangs not sure if this is the same issue... is this also a reason why if we auto-navigate to certain star systems, our ships will literally run into the star (and keep going sometimes) while other star systems we slow/stop just outside the star system as normal?
    And sometimes ends up flying circles around the star forever.

Mine never stops as normal anymore since the sector space revamp. It always stops too early or too late so I have to move manually to the point where the mission starts.
  • Options
    @tacofangs not sure if this is the same issue... is this also a reason why if we auto-navigate to certain star systems, our ships will literally run into the star (and keep going sometimes) while other star systems we slow/stop just outside the star system as normal?

No, that's because the nav point is on the PLANET not the star. If you approach a system with the planet on the far side of the star, you'll try to fly through the star. If you approach from the side the planet is on, you'll stop just outside the system. I don't have a good way of improving that, unfortunately. And since there are no beacons in space, your ship doesn't know how to navigate around anything. You just fly into it and kind of slide around the collision until you're free.
  • Options
    cdpbscdpbs Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    i think its not a spwanpoint-problem.

if i limited my bandwidth near at 98% i see this:
    1. login and choose toon
    2. loadingscreen 1.....loadingscreen 2....
    3. my choosed toon spwaned viewable in or under the ground of quonos
    4. after this load my toon move up on top of the ground (magic?)
    5. 5 or 6 times weird animations execute on my toon (rump spinning, torso spinning)
    6. finally my toon glitch middle in a console (stuck) or on top of it (moveable...if i have luck)

my toons parked on quonos Exchange or on the Bankconsoles.
    if my toons too close on the console at logoff i can see the 6 steps above next time i login if my bandwidth limited.
    multiple co-ord-spawns.
    i thinks its the same in space.
    with bad luck on your side you spawn in other objects.

hope it helps
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Why just baby goats....

https://youtu.be/9JVtwLzsMMo

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    No, that's because the nav point is on the PLANET not the star. If you approach a system with the planet on the far side of the star, you'll try to fly through the star. If you approach from the side the planet is on, you'll stop just outside the system. I don't have a good way of improving that, unfortunately. And since there are no beacons in space, your ship doesn't know how to navigate around anything. You just fly into it and kind of slide around the collision until you're free.

Ok, thank you. I don't suppose there is a way to create an invisible nav point around the entire system, is there?
    That might be difficult considering that you could be coming from any direction so I'm not sure how that would work unless it were possible to create a thin shelled spherically shaped nav point that then somehow connects to the planet in a single line. I doubt it's doable.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Would this include spawning in Sector Space coming out of missions (Red Alerts, Queues, Episodes) and ending up at Sol? I've had this happen with a few Romulan characters for sure. Not stuck in the star, but I have no idea why I'd spawn at Sol when I was previously in the Tau Dewa sector.

Sol is the default "return" location, and the Romulan Flotilla and Tholian Red Alert never had it set after the walls came down.