test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sector Space: Spawning Inside of Stars?

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Ok, I've looked at a bunch of these systems and the problem isn't what I thought. I thought that we'd squashed some spawn points by putting them inside of the suns. But alas, there are no spawn points inside of the suns. My theory at this point is that this is the same collision/spawn bug that allows people to get into the Shuttlebay of ESD, and pretty much anywhere else. Not something I can fix (obviously).

Endless source of fun, that. Although the ESD shuttlebay was much more fun than the inside of stars.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    warpangel wrote: »
    Ok, I've looked at a bunch of these systems and the problem isn't what I thought. I thought that we'd squashed some spawn points by putting them inside of the suns. But alas, there are no spawn points inside of the suns. My theory at this point is that this is the same collision/spawn bug that allows people to get into the Shuttlebay of ESD, and pretty much anywhere else. Not something I can fix (obviously).

Endless source of fun, that. Although the ESD shuttlebay was much more fun than the inside of stars.

So what you're saying is. . . if I shrink down the ESD shuttlebay, and stick it inside of every star, people will stop complaining about this bug?
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Nah, what's REALLY fun: hiding in the Jenolan Sphere!
    screenshot_2016_06_02_07_15_09_by_marhawkman-daa4d71.jpg
    Yes, I did that intentionally. Also it's easy to get out... just dock with it. :p The interact button stays while you're inside.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Oh my Gawd!

Baby goats in sweaters!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yyL7L4J-M4s
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    warpangel wrote: »

So what you're saying is. . . if I shrink down the ESD shuttlebay, and stick it inside of every star, people will stop complaining about this bug?

Yup!!, "i got stuck in a star!!... ohhh, shuttlebay!, shinny!!"... see?. it will work!, work with babies, will work with players!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    @tacofangs it's not any particular star from my experience. It's basically any star that you park your ship beside. I do a lot of contraband farming and I often log off beside a star and when I log back in again the next day I am sometimes trapped inside the star.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    You're awesome Taco!

I often get stuck in the Japori Star while finishing the Japori patrol.

Also, if you have time, could you also fix the bug where moving to sector space from the Romulan Flotilla and Tholian red alert sends the character to the Sol System on the sector space map?
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I don't notice the issue occurring in specific stars so much as I notice it occur after logging out and back into the game. If I finish a story mission, patrol or whatever and I spawn outside of a star, but very close to that star. I can log out and upon logging in later, I have a decent chance of spawning inside the star itself.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Baby goat in a sweater was worth it.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Their planning to take over the world with cuteness!

I for one welcome our new overlords, and as a reminder I can be useful in rounding up the Humans for the wool mines. =3​​

They wag their tails when they're happy, like a puppy. *Dies from cuteness overload*

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    I once, long ago, spawned in a much bigger vessel near Qo'nos.
    The ship of another player, i got free when he docked.

Never had that happen again, a 1 time thing, it seemed.

Stars: few occasions, can't remember which though...
    Doesn't happen too frequently.
    I just jump to another server and I'm free.
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • mas134gluck123mas134gluck123 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    Kobali, Argala, Orias, Defera
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    The way I've noticed it when I autopilot to the planet and end up right next to the star of the system, starting the mission(s) and after completion of them, end up spawning inside the star because of the close proximity of where I entered the system. Most common ones I've had this happen to me is the Alhena system during Defense Contract, Sh'mar near the Zibal system during Distress Signal and the Traelus System during Satellite Repair. Maybe think about moving the point where the autopilot takes you?
    a
    valoreah wrote: »
    @tacofangs not sure if this is the same issue... is this also a reason why if we auto-navigate to certain star systems, our ships will literally run into the star (and keep going sometimes) while other star systems we slow/stop just outside the star system as normal?
    And sometimes ends up flying circles around the star forever.

Mine never stops as normal anymore since the sector space revamp. It always stops too early or too late so I have to move manually to the point where the mission starts.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    @tacofangs not sure if this is the same issue... is this also a reason why if we auto-navigate to certain star systems, our ships will literally run into the star (and keep going sometimes) while other star systems we slow/stop just outside the star system as normal?

No, that's because the nav point is on the PLANET not the star. If you approach a system with the planet on the far side of the star, you'll try to fly through the star. If you approach from the side the planet is on, you'll stop just outside the system. I don't have a good way of improving that, unfortunately. And since there are no beacons in space, your ship doesn't know how to navigate around anything. You just fly into it and kind of slide around the collision until you're free.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • cdpbscdpbs Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    i think its not a spwanpoint-problem.

if i limited my bandwidth near at 98% i see this:
    1. login and choose toon
    2. loadingscreen 1.....loadingscreen 2....
    3. my choosed toon spwaned viewable in or under the ground of quonos
    4. after this load my toon move up on top of the ground (magic?)
    5. 5 or 6 times weird animations execute on my toon (rump spinning, torso spinning)
    6. finally my toon glitch middle in a console (stuck) or on top of it (moveable...if i have luck)

my toons parked on quonos Exchange or on the Bankconsoles.
    if my toons too close on the console at logoff i can see the 6 steps above next time i login if my bandwidth limited.
    multiple co-ord-spawns.
    i thinks its the same in space.
    with bad luck on your side you spawn in other objects.

hope it helps
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Why just baby goats....

https://youtu.be/9JVtwLzsMMo

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    No, that's because the nav point is on the PLANET not the star. If you approach a system with the planet on the far side of the star, you'll try to fly through the star. If you approach from the side the planet is on, you'll stop just outside the system. I don't have a good way of improving that, unfortunately. And since there are no beacons in space, your ship doesn't know how to navigate around anything. You just fly into it and kind of slide around the collision until you're free.

Ok, thank you. I don't suppose there is a way to create an invisible nav point around the entire system, is there?
    That might be difficult considering that you could be coming from any direction so I'm not sure how that would work unless it were possible to create a thin shelled spherically shaped nav point that then somehow connects to the planet in a single line. I doubt it's doable.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Would this include spawning in Sector Space coming out of missions (Red Alerts, Queues, Episodes) and ending up at Sol? I've had this happen with a few Romulan characters for sure. Not stuck in the star, but I have no idea why I'd spawn at Sol when I was previously in the Tau Dewa sector.

Sol is the default "return" location, and the Romulan Flotilla and Tholian Red Alert never had it set after the walls came down.
    That might be difficult considering that you could be coming from any direction so I'm not sure how that would work unless it were possible to create a thin shelled spherically shaped nav point that then somehow connects to the planet in a single line. I doubt it's doable.

An invisible sphere the circumference of the star system is kind of what I was thinking. I don't know if anything like that would work. Just a thought.

Or they could just put the mission triggers back on the stars so you don't have to fly around looking for it.
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    Could we put an interact button inside of stars, that either removes collision detection on the player for 5 seconds or warps them forward a small distance to outside the star? We could label it 'solar ejection' or something.
  • jjd#4348 jjd Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Hey tacofangs, if you want an instance that happens almost every time (I say 'almost' because only Sith deal in absolutes...), returning to sector space after completing the 'Cutting the Cord' mission will get you stuck in the Brea System star.
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    It is possible to make the entire star a collision zone instead of a hollow sphere? This might allow us to spawn around the star rather than in it.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    @tacofangs There's a 100% reproducible stellar ensnarement in the second mission of the Future Proof arc. The Na'kuhl's home system

If you fly up to the smaller pre-events bright star, run the mission, and then return to sector space you'll be englobed within the larger 'mostly dead' star. Gets me pretty much every time :).

Would it be possible to add the larger star's collision pattern to its smaller state?
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    JArleth System , Delta Quadrant
  • autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    But I might be able to put in some duct tape and bailing wire to reduce the chances of things happening. No guarantees.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. You don't need to report anymore, I think this can just happen anywhere. . . :::sad taco:::

If the issue is logging out or changing maps while "too close" to the geometry of the star, putting invisible collision in there, at whatever distance, wouldn't help. You'd just get stuck inside of the invisible collision instead of the star itself.

Do you have the option of making the collision detects work "one way" for the objects? I'm thinking in terms of being able to fly "out" without (ordinarily) being allowed to fly "into" stuff. That way, if you do wind up spawning inside of a star, you aren't trapped inside of it, but rather just fly out, because the geometry for it is "permeable" in one direction, and "impermiable" in the other.

If you could only make this change for the geometry of stars, that would be a useful outcome ... particularly since the geometry used for stars is relatively simple, as opposed to the geometry used for the Klingon Fleet Starbase (which would no doubt be trickier to reprogram).
  • arliekkosarliekkos Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Parein II, Delta Quandrant.
    Kinbar VIII, Delta Quandrant.
    Pansarka III, Delta Quandrant.
    Post edited by arliekkos on
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    hasnt happened in a long time. all i do is transwarp out to Sol or Defera.
    sig.jpg
  • cheesebasketcheesebasket Member Posts: 1,101 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    This can actually happen anywhere and is very easy to duplicate, just fly around the top of the star while hugging it and you'll clip in, but won't be able to get back out...

Though because the game doesn't keep telemetry well when reloading from a map transfer I can see how it might reload in a small margin of error in the general area of the ship, thus, this "clipping" results from being within this margin of error when transferring back to sector space

That being said, a spawn border of sorts around the planet for people to spawn from when returning from transfer might solve it, it at least keeps people from accidentially spawning in a planet, they could probly still clip in, Who knows, just some helpful ideas lol
    The hamster will RULE ALLL....

Mwahahahahahahaha
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    How about make interact buttons appear far further than having to slam facefirst into the system?

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!