test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'm starting to doubt PWE is an asset to Star Trek Online

Sure, they saved the game 5 years ago. I certainly don't fault the design choices made for this game since then. Lockbox, rep grinds, T6. Like it or not, these things kept the lights on during the dark times.

Now it's Star Trek 50. Beyond is a hit with both JI trekkies and us Primers. Discovery is getting on Netflix and is already profitable, guaranteeing that there will be all but more to come.

But look at everything else PWE has. 16 games, of deserted ruins. I used to play a lot of PWE games, now all I have is my character and servers and servers of lights on and nobodies home. Jade Dynasty, Forsaken World, just some of the few. One of them even closed years ago.

Only 2 has any traffic at all; you guessed it. SO and CO. Both Cryptic games.

PWE isn't keeping the lights on, we are. Our lockbox money is being used to keep dead games, killed by PWE own inability to understand the foreign audience, alive.

I say it's time we look closely at PWE. Look at their performance and look at how much they've shrunk since 2013. Look at their game closures and the state of their very own games as contrast to how vibrant Star Trek is.

It's time we view the contract with PWE as chains to be cast off.

Cryptic now has the clout and resources to buy their game back. We have the power here, not PWE any longer. We hold the negotiating chips. We have tools, the kickstarter waiting to happen, the resurgent popularity of Star Trek.

We can do this peacefully. Either PWE listens and changes for the better, cut off those dying games and focus on us who actually matter, or we walk away and PWE can slowly drown in its pool of filth.

Who says post-PWE will Cryptic be any different? It might not be, but I think if Cryptic could decide it's own fate, there's a chance things might change.

At the very least, Star Trek won't be bowing to tyranny to survive.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!

Comments

• Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    khayuung wrote: »
    Cryptic now has the clout and resources to buy their game back.

Says who? And how? Any money made from Cryptic's games doesn't go into some magical Cryptic purse, it goes into PWE's. If anything the 'success' of Cryptic under the PWE banner has raised the price further from what it would otherwise be.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    The title of your thread piqued my curiosity. What exactly are you saying here? My opinion in reference to lockboxes and R&D packs...get used to them because they make a lot of money on this style of 'gambling to get' delivery method. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they started to release all ships this way.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    I look forward to the OP-suggested kickstarter equivalent of Axanar II.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Only 2 has any traffic at all; you guessed it. SO and CO. Both Cryptic games

Tra lala la lala, the OP is in their own little world.

If I was inclined to make a thread like this I would have cited STO and Neverwinter. CO is operating at a much smaller scale to either of these. I would have also made sure to downplay Blacklight, Torchlight, and Elsword as "well, not really mattering because who plays those genres anyway?" and cast a massive cloud of doom on Gigantic and Livelock. It doesn't make a lick of sense but getting your defense in first (regardless of how it sounds) is key to the soapbox.

Regardless, its a giant mental contortion to take vague impressions from I don't know where as a firm basis to criticize the economics of these games. From what we can tell from the case of CO, it doesn't take that all much input from the population to keep the lights on. What changes most is how much more the devs are willing to put in. If a game is doing well it continues adding large amounts of content (because even more money spent results in even more money gained). If not, then you're looking at a sliding scale of add-ons from "not as much" all the way back to "nothing" (when you're in maintenance mode) or closure if the game doesn't have any traction at all (it happens, as with most business ventures, but as the OP points out it doesn't happen at a remarkably high frequency with these games.)

PWE isn't using profits from Cryptic to endlessly support an endless string of dead material. We can't be certain of the firm economics here (see. the requirements of evidence based reasoning) but we can at least say that. Closing the dead weight and simply pocketing Cryptic's money would be a MUCH better business plan for an evil, uncaring corporate entity. It's also the most obvious approach. As such, this isn't a topic to take seriously. It just seems like lashing out at a company because (apparently) it's offering more than the OP particularly cares about (which can only be paid for by siphoning money from their self-identified audiences. Other groups are beyond the realm of imagination.)

And to the OP, I simply have to say "lighten up." Nothing has happened over the last few years to suggest that cryptic needs to "buy their game back "(Brexit style.) There are things that cost money (ex. lock boxes) but if Cryptic dumped their publisher do you honestly think they'd abandon this profitable and population-approved (people still buy keys) approach to F2P MMO's (and something you'll find across the genre in one form or another?) No, I don't think you've suggested anything that would change, apart from a arbitrary feeling of pride and aimless self-determination.

As found in this other post for eample:
    coolbatman wrote: »
    i'm looking forward to M$ or sony buying cryptic and cutting them loose from the pwe tyrants,at the very least it'll put STO back 100% in american hands vs being in cryptics hands being told what to do by foreign hands (pwe)

What this seems like to me is a random stab at PWE. You may not like the company, but don't let fear and hatred launch you into a campaign with implications your line of reasoning and body of support is incapable of handling. Just take it easy and enjoy what you can. There is, after all, a game to play.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    PWE is a place where games usually die. Once pay to play, they get sold and become free to play at pwe. I've been playing more than 10 years, starting with pwi. Seen so many games come and go. Frankly they take on too many junk games at once.
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    . . . blargah blagh . . .

Did you think this up all on your own? Or are you regurgitating other people's zone chat? I fail to find the humor in this. This is a joke right? Dude. Slap yourself in the face a few times for us all. Hard. Really really hard.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    scarling wrote: »
    PWE is a place where games usually die.

I thought that was EA? Oh no I guess thats just where game companies go to die
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    valoreah wrote: »
    The game has done a whole hell of a lot better under PWE than it ever would have under Atari.

ya know.... I gotta give valoreah that one
  • Options
    keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Only two of PWE games are active STO and CO? I thought Neverwinter was their top game with the biggest player base and revenue (helped by the fact its been on consoles awhile) and I thought Champions was one of the least successful games according to the numbers.

Side note Sony is not an American company.
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    If anything, Cryptic should go try to buy City of Heroes and revive it.

Champions is terrible.
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    I guarantee that F2P microtransactions, gambling lockboxes, relentless monetization, etc etc would continue under any hypothetical new owners. That's the state of the industry now.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    Sony is nearly broke, they lose Everquests and EQ2, those split-off became Daybreak Games as new company.

reason why Sony had to let it go, it was from 2 massive hacker attacks and faced huge fine for failing to protect clients' CCs and accounts.
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    LOLwhut? If by "all time best" you mean they have us precisely where they like having us, then you are correct.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Of course Microsoft buying Cryptic would make things much better, just look at how they've improved Nokia's phones.
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Yuk yuk - 1941.

Derp, getting TOO old - Animal House. But you definitely had me thinking of Wild Bill Kelso...

For you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKiAhTbpL4Y
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    But look at everything else PWE has. 16 games, of deserted ruins. I used to play a lot of PWE games, now all I have is my character and servers and servers of lights on and nobodies home. Jade Dynasty, Forsaken World, just some of the few. One of them even closed years ago.

Forsaken World has been forsaken? OMG! Who could have possibly foreseen such a thing?!​​

Fixed it for you.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    A lot of assertions op. Unfortunately, no facts backing any of it up.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Of course Microsoft buying Cryptic would make things much better, just look at how they've improved Nokia's phones.

You mean the phone line they're now abandoning in favor of Surface Phone now that they've assimilated the technology from the company once known as Nokia?

All they've demonstrated is as EA has done with any game they've acquired- destruction of original concepts in order to acquire IP. If they had "improved" the Nokia line and continued to do so, your point would be valid.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    LOLwhut? If by "all time best" you mean they have us precisely where they like having us, then you are correct.

I mean the game has never been better.

Meh, not sure about that. Power creep is worse than ever before and 90% of queues are empty most of the time. New ships seem to have replaced new content. Personally, I liked this game most when Legacy of Romulus was released. Every place was buzzing with activity, every queue, every system and every social hub. I miss those times...
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    szim wrote: »

I mean the game has never been better.

Meh, not sure about that. Power creep is worse than ever before and 90% of queues are empty most of the time. New ships seem to have replaced new content. Personally, I liked this game most when Legacy of Romulus was released. Every place was buzzing with activity, every queue, every system and every social hub. I miss those times...

Agreed, I miss the days before PWE and the early days of PWE when actual properly balanced content and gameplay was still a thing.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    The game has done a whole hell of a lot better under PWE than it ever would have under Atari.

And if it wasn't for Atari, the game probably would never have existed to being with.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Considering what PWE did to Neverwinter, not surprised.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1