test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So.. no character sharing on PC > Console. Great for new players! Sad for current players...

liyamu86liyamu86 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
As the title states, I was excited to try STO on my ps4 and play my toons, linked my account and logged in and yep, no toons.

I can see this as a great way to invite a new player base to the game but what about the people who are currently playing and supporting the game and want a change of game play style/interface?

Does anyone know of an article or post where it is detailed why this was done? If we are sharing the same server then why the hell can we not use our bought and paid for toons?

Dunno about anyone else but this is a bit of a middle finger to us current players in saying "just start again and give us more money" its not really a supportive stance.

Can people please post their reasons for liking or disliking this decision? I surely cannot be the only one who thinks this is a bad outcome from a player base stand point... The game wouldn't be in the state its in or have gotten this far and to this point if it wasn't for us fans so why did we just get shafted?
Post edited by liyamu86 on

Comments

• Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Not to mention the two versions are at present radically different, making any kind of sharing of characters literally "impossible".
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Because they cannot synch patches between platforms & because microsoft won't let them.

Can you find a quote supporting your statement?
  • Options
    Not to mention the two versions are at present radically different, making any kind of sharing of characters literally "impossible".

And you know the technical reasons as to why this is? Could you please elaborate as to why this would be "impossible"? The two versions may indeed be radically different but not technically "impossible" to implement.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,529 Arc User
    Actually MS has started to bend on cross-play, but it's a fact that the console versions are missing a bunch of features from the PC and may never be in sync. On PC they can release a new patch whenever they want, on consoles every patch must be approved by MS and Sony.
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    liyamu86 wrote: »
    Because they cannot synch patches between platforms & because microsoft won't let them.

That isn't necessary. Its been stated and known about since literally the day the console announcement was made. You clearly haven't been paying attention

• Options
    edited September 2016

That isn't necessary. Its been stated and known about since literally the day the console announcement was made. You clearly haven't been paying attention

Clearly not, still no harm in asking for an official written statement from the devs on the matter and there is none clearly labelled or visible to find on the website, so clearly you have not been paying to attention to the visibility on the matter but thank you for your less then helpful reply to the topic...
  • Options
    Empirical evidence, fellow Cryptic game Neverwinter, been on PC & Console for years. Plus statements from multiple devs interviews for the last couple of months.

Don't play Neverwinter but that is a shame :-( hopefully in the future it will be addressed.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,529 Arc User

And you know the technical reasons as to why this is? Could you please elaborate as to why this would be "impossible"? The two versions may indeed be radically different but not technically "impossible" to implement.

Of course with enough effort Cryptic could implement a one-way character transfer to console, stripping away all items, traits, unlocks that are not supported by the console. But they would need to keep updating this over and over as the console and PC features change, to deal with what can be moved and what can't. They would probably rather assign developers to work on adding missing features to the consoles instead.

MS and Sony also might not want transfers since they don't get paid for purchases made on PC. SWTOR charges $20 per character for a one-way permanent server transfer, if STO did that and shared the revenue with MS & Sony that might work.
  • Options

Of course with enough effort Cryptic could implement a one-way character transfer to console, stripping away all items, traits, unlocks that are not supported by the console. But they would need to keep updating this over and over as the console and PC features change, to deal with what can be moved and what can't. They would probably rather assign developers to work on adding missing features to the consoles instead.

MS and Sony also might not want transfers since they don't get paid for purchases made on PC. SWTOR charges $20 per character for a one-way permanent server transfer, if STO did that and shared the revenue with MS & Sony that might work.

Suppose that is one way to look at it, I was really giddy to try out my ships on the ps4 not start all over again and of course... buy them all over again :( been playing since day one lol that is a LOT of ships... bummer...
  • Options
    storules wrote: »

Cheers dude, will have a read! Have not really been in the loop past few months but I really do appreciate you linking me the link! :)
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    storules wrote: »

LOL Loved the "Khaaaaaaaaaan" picture in the background but now I'm up to speed and understand, thanks again for sharing. maybe I might start again... maybe... lol
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    One reason I think Cryptic did this was to make sure the new players coming on board and older players crosssing over all started out on equal footing. A very wise move to keep new players happy. Think about it OP would you as a new player stick around if every time yout tried something a player with all epic 14 gear and a T6 stomped you into goo on day one? I can imagine the cries on the forums from new players and the demand they be given the same gear free right from the start as an older player has who ported over from PC to Xbox.
  • Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    One reason I think Cryptic did this was to make sure the new players coming on board and older players crosssing over all started out on equal footing. A very wise move to keep new players happy. Think about it OP would you as a new player stick around if every time yout tried something a player with all epic 14 gear and a T6 stomped you into goo on day one? I can imagine the cries on the forums from new players and the demand they be given the same gear free right from the start as an older player has who ported over from PC to Xbox.

Yeah that is the case, the link above said the same thing which is totally understandable, also considering they are using a new f2p model on the ps4 asking for minor enhancements like being a lifer on pc is also unlikely to be brought over cause it would conflict with the new model. Bit of a shame but overall an understandable one.

Now its just a case of is it decent to play on the ps4/xbox and worth starting again
  • Options
    mrlogboymrlogboy Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    thanks for the info now i can get more sapce back on the XB1 and PS4 by deleting the games
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I bought GTA5 for Xbox 360 when it came out. It was also available for PS3. Eventually it was released for Xbox One, PS4, and PC. I decided not to buy the game again because I was happy with the experience that I had on XB360. But if I had, the choice would have been solely mine.

If I desired to play the PC version, I would have to buy the PC version. Anything and everything that I did on Xbox 360 wouldn't transfer over. The same would be true for all of the console and PC games that I own. FIFA, Deus Ex, Skyrim, Fallout 4, among many many others. STO is no different.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Equal footing may be a moot point as Cryptic doesn't like PvP anyway, so stomping would be out.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,726 Community Moderator
    As the title states, I was excited to try STO on my ps4 and play my toons, linked my account and logged in and yep, no toons.

I can see this as a great way to invite a new player base to the game but what about the people who are currently playing and supporting the game and want a change of game play style/interface?

Does anyone know of an article or post where it is detailed why this was done? If we are sharing the same server then why the hell can we not use our bought and paid for toons?

Dunno about anyone else but this is a bit of a middle finger to us current players in saying "just start again and give us more money" its not really a supportive stance.

Can people please post their reasons for liking or disliking this decision? I surely cannot be the only one who thinks this is a bad outcome from a player base stand point... The game wouldn't be in the state its in or have gotten this far and to this point if it wasn't for us fans so why did we just get shafted?

I'm going to be real with you for a minute as a few things need to be said and pointed out.

First, the move to console is NOT meant to attract pc players to the console and it's not geared towards pc players. It's meant to bring new people to the game that otherwise would never be able to play it, or have no interest in playing it. Linking pc and console servers together is a monumental task technologically as there's literally hundreds and even thousands of variables to take into account. The thought of being able to play with folks on console while you're on your pc is cool, but not always practical or possible.

We're not sharing the same server as consoles and pcs are on different servers. In most of the hundreds if not thousands of games out there that are cross platform, if you go from one platform to another you've traditionally never been able to transfer anything from one platform to the other. This is no different here.

Again, this is NOT and I repeat NOT, meant for current players, so the thought that this is a "middle finger to current players" is complete foolishness. This is a brand new launch on a brand new platform. If you want to go to console as well, more power to you, however this was not, and is not, geared towards getting current players to go to the console. To be perfectly blunt since we're all adults, or of reasonable age at least, I'm not sure what gave you people the idea this was meant for the rest of us on pc, but if you thought this was meant for us, you've been comatose to the last 20 years of game development. To expect to be able to carry over data in this instance is like expecting to be able to play an old Gamecube game on a PS4. It's essentially 2 completely different games for 2 completely different audiences.

Again you didn't get shafted since it was never meant for you in the first place.

"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    furiousfred77furiousfred77 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Even if they don't want to support cross play severs I can get that. I can understand how hard that would be for the console players to catch up. But to be honest they should have account synchronization. Give me my LTS and my z-store purchases on the consoles. This can be done without cross play and it is a good thing for STO. For example my friends stopped playing STO and because they stopped I don't play as much some times going months without playing that means I am going months of not buying things in the z-store. Now when I do play I still don't want to buy much in the z-store because I am not playing as much. However now that it is on console I have a new group of friends to play with. Why should I have to purchase LTS and all the ships I already paid for again? Nothing makes you feel more ripped off than what I am describing. Aren't I valuable as a returning player even if it is on the console? So now instead of playing with my friends and telling them how fun STO can be I am telling them I feel ripped off and won't play...Now they hear my story and it makes them not want to play...because why give money to a company that cheated my friend? Account synchronization is not a new concept. Smite did this for both consoles and it worked out really well. PLEASE DEV'S MAKE THIS HAPPEN LET ME LEVEL NEW CAPTAINS WITH MY FRIENDS!!!
  • Options
    d0nomegad0nomega Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    I honestly thought you could, maybe because I saw level 60 characters 2 days after the console launch lol
  • Options
    kheelan#5651 kheelan Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    the purpose of keeping pc and console separate and not have people migrate toons across platforms was to draw in new players to sto not to lose players from existing pc platform.
  • Options
    d0nomega wrote: »
    I honestly thought you could, maybe because I saw level 60 characters 2 days after the console launch lol
    You could easily get to Level 60 in less than a day.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User

I'm going to guess you haven't leveled a captain on the PC lately...literally a new level with each mission. Lvl60 is just 60 missions away from start and if you've leveled 8 captains on the PC side and know what you are doing, that should be a breeze.
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    No, I couldn't I don't have that much time free on a typical day, and even when I have, I can't "easily" play the game that long.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    No, I couldn't I don't have that much time free on a typical day, and even when I have, I can't "easily" play the game that long.

Last I checked this wasn't "@mustrumridcully0 Online" so you hardly set the standard on what can and can't be done in STO.
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • Options
    Sure you could. You just refuse to.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Look, this has been discussed in detail by multiple devs across multiple interviews and posts in various places, and yes, part of the problem is MS and Sony's platform restrictions, not notably their requirements that any game on their platforms use their account systems and their purchase systems. This means no shared services like cross-platform chat (which is currently a shared platform across all Cryptic PC games), and no shared characters with valued items attached to them. Even if they were to do the "one time copy" to the console, MS and Sony would want to get paid for all the stuff you didn't give them money for. This is why there's no stipend attached to the Lifetime purchase price on the consoles, neither company allows that since they can't make money on it.

In the end, people here are right, they launched on consoles to expand to new player markets (the console market is around 10x the size of the PC gaming market), not to entice PC players to move to them.

They COULD have made it work, if Sony and MS actually cooperated about cross platform play (which Sony appears to have no interest in other than the occasional "maybe some day" comment, with that day being very close to when hell freezes over with Sony's attitude towards XBox and PC gaming in general), and Cryptic were to port the PC version over to running on the Win10 XBox app instead of their own platform (which is what MS requires for cross platform play), and they worked out a structure to get players to pay them their share of what they import. Needless to say, it wasn't something that was going to work at this point in time.

On the bright side, just like NW, the PC version will benefit greatly from the console versions. We will get the updates and new content first, and bug fixes will be more frequent and thorough because the consoles require a lot of time and effort to patch and goes through stability testing by MS and Sony before it approved, so the new content needs to be stable before they can do so. In the end, we get to keep getting things like we always have, but we'll have fewer bugs and problems overall.