test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New NPC Faction: Which one do you want to see?

roborobin96roborobin96 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
Recently, we had a lot of discussions about new playable factions. This time, however, we talk about new NPC factions you might want to fight/see.
While STO does have a plethora of NPC factions that players can encounter, there are some that we haven't seen yet, but might be an interesting prospect for players. I also have foundry authors in mind here, because I can imagine that some of them want to tell stories including some of these factions.

Remember: This poll is not about new playable factions. It is solely about new NPC factions that you might want to see.

830px-Vesta_side.jpg

Who's the prettiest of them all?

New NPC Faction: Which one do you want to see? 37 votes

Sheliak Corporate
10% 4 votes
Tzenkethi Coalition
5% 2 votes
Talarian Republic
2% 1 vote
Tamarians
2% 1 vote
First Federation
8% 3 votes
Pakleds
5% 2 votes
Holy Order of the Kinshaya
2% 1 vote
Devore Imperium
2% 1 vote
Unknown Gamma Quadrant Faction
10% 4 votes
None of the above
48% 18 votes

Comments

• Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    None of the above.

I'd rather see the main story line focus on the same faction for a longer time period. There's too many species that were added only to serve as cannon fodder for one season. Examples include the Voth, Undine, Elachi. Only there because they were once the enemy of the week, after that we never heard anything of them again, nothing about possible diplomatic efforts, new developments or whatever.

After the Iconian War they didn't even tell us what happened to the Elachi. We only know the Voth failed to show up in the second fight for the Turei homeworld, without knowing the reason. We know that the most hostile Undine faction, that of Cooper, was basically neutralised, but we haven't seen any other Undine factions or what has become of them.

All that's happening by adding new factions (that, as said, usually only serve as cannon fodder) is that another species is added that will become under-used, never fully explored and will only make the storyline less believable with conflict after conflict and the Alliance fighting dozens of species/factions in such a short time.

I can think of only a handful of exceptions, namely the Kobali, the Vaadwaur to some extent. Most factions could have been so much more interesting though, if they had been the focus for a longer time and not just one season until we move to the next baddy (which is usually the only reason to add new factions).
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Kelvan or Hur'q.

Kelvan because we now have a Andromeda Galaxy connection basically - the Iconians spend there time there. An entire new galaxy to explore, and we even know a potential villain or ally.

The Hur'q because it would continue the Fek'lhri arc from the KDF, and give us another opportunity to at least "sight see" Klingon culture and history in a faction-agnostic mission, instead of doing a allegedly faction-agnostic mission with mostly Fed dialogues on a KDF char.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Meh. Those are all the kind of uninteresting one-off aliens-of-the-week that would belong in the "third dynasty" missions, if we still had them.

For actual story missions, Cryptic should invent their own aliens of the week long before resorting to reusing those.
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    I'd much rather see expansions on the races that are already playable.

Homeworlds for all of the existing species (Fed, KDF and Romulan alike) with a small one or two episode story arc for each, and repeatable missions to bring players back to spend time there, as well as the usual social zones.

And update DS9 already.

And Caitian hair while we're at it. (I'd pay for that)

Then add in Cardassia and a Cardassian player race, in a style similar to Agents of Yesterday. Rinse and repeat with other key races in the Star Trek canon (Denobulans, Ocampans, Edosians, Efrosians, Talaxians...long list). Charge Zen (race unlocks with a character slot) for them if you have to, but I think folks would pay.
  • Options
    risian4 wrote: »
    Examples include the Voth, Undine, Elachi. Only there because they were once the enemy of the week, after that we never heard anything of them again, nothing about possible diplomatic efforts, new developments or whatever.

After the Iconian War they didn't even tell us what happened to the Elachi

We only know the Voth failed to show up in the second fight for the Turei homeworld, without knowing the reason.

We know that the most hostile Undine faction, that of Cooper, was basically neutralised, but we haven't seen any other Undine factions or what has become of them.
    That's because all of those race's narrative arcs were soundly wrapped up.

The Elachi stopped being a threat once the Romulan Republic raided and destroyed the base they were staging their attacks on the alpha/Beta Quad from in the "Devil's Choice" mission. Which is why they didn't appear in any significant form after that, with only a small failed attempt to defend the Iconian Gateway in one mission, and once more when we found, raided, and destroyed, their base in the Delta quad at the end of Delta Rising. We already know what happened to them, we destroyed them to the point they become not a problem.

We do know the reason, they were afraid of the Vaadwaur who were stopping their butts. That was the whole central premise of that mission. The Turei relied on the Voth for protection, but the Voth abandoned them the moment they encountered an enemy stronger then the Borg, and thus, stronger then they were.

We don't need to be shown what happened to them, since we are told. The Undine went back to following the deal they originally made with Janeway "we won't go into your space, if you don't come into ours"

I won't be starting our old debate of what is assumed and what is actually shown again, I think we've discussed that already.

What I do want to point out is that -except maybe for the Elachi which we featured more often and pretty clearly destroyed indeed, granted - most species we've seen were never really used in the sense that we visit their homeworld or stations etc.

I would love to see a Voth station from the inside for example. Even if we were told what happened, it could still make for an interesting mission if we were to visit them again and try to open diplomatic relations. Such missions have been requested quite often.
    My main point is: we don't really need new factions as there are already a dozen factions available that could be used in some way for new missions, without adding new ones that will only be featured for one season (or, in some cases, two seasons or one season and one or two separate episodes at most).
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    For actual story missions, Cryptic should invent their own aliens of the week long before resorting to reusing those.

That could be fun.

They already did something like that to some extent with the Elachi and the Iconians of whose species we only saw an individual or two or just some remnant tech. The entire background of the species, the homeworld and aestethics, some parts of their culture and such are all Cryptic-designed basically. And of course we have the Heralds and Deferi, which were, imo, interesting additions to the game.

• Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Such missions have been requested quite often.
    And every time we get them all people do is whine up a storm that they are boring. see "Of Bajor".

And everyone loves these kinds of missions...

once.

Then, after learning the story, they don't want to set foot there ever again (or at least have a few months/years pass) and only to "refresh" themselves on what happened there... Kinda like rereading an old book...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I'd like to see the Fek'lhri get more time personally but out of the list the Sheliak would be the most interesting. Being non-humanoid they have 0 chance of being a player race in STO, but I always wanted to see them developed more specifically because they aren't just another human with nose/ear/forehead attachments.
  • Options
    Rinse and repeat with other key races in the Star Trek canon (Denobulans, Ocampans, Edosians, Efrosians, Talaxians...long list).
    None of those are key races in Star Trek.

And Endosians aren't canon, like most of TaS.

What's your definition of "key character"? Considering we currently have playable characters from species that were at best background characters in one or two episodes.

Denobulans, Ocampans, Talaxians and Edosians all had featured recurring characters on the tv shows (I'm not getting into the debate about TAS being canon again...CBS seems to say it is - look at the most recent remastered box set - and the devs quoted it as a canon source to explain the use of shields in the AoY expansion. So STO considers it canon at least).

Regardless, my actual point was that any one of the races in Star Trek - whether you consider them canon or not - could be introduced as a playable species the same way they introduced TOS Feds.
  • Options
    dareau wrote: »
    And every time we get them all people do is whine up a storm that they are boring. see "Of Bajor".

once.

Then, after learning the story, they don't want to set foot there ever again (or at least have a few months/years pass) and only to "refresh" themselves on what happened there... Kinda like rereading an old book...

The problem is that the development of Bajor and other social locations was short-sighted. They didn't put in any worthwhile reason to revisit the locations once the initial mission is done.

I can't tell you how many times I've run the missions in the Deferi zone, and that map is atrocious, BUT there's stuff there that brings me back. Why wasn't Bajor built like that? Why doesn't every social zone have unique repeatable missions (not just combat ones either) to bring players back time and again?
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

once.

The problem is that the development of Bajor and other social locations was short-sighted. They didn't put in any worthwhile reason to revisit the locations once the initial mission is done.

I can't tell you how many times I've run the missions in the Deferi zone, and that map is atrocious, BUT there's stuff there that brings me back. Why wasn't Bajor built like that? Why doesn't every social zone have unique repeatable missions (not just combat ones either) to bring players back time and again?

because that'd mean taking time to make worthwhile content, not just 'blitz through and sell some ships' content... when was the last time cryptic did anything other than 'blitz through and sell some ships' content?
  • Options
    Odd, because I recall near universal backlash even when the 2800 series first came out.

It was hated by most people the moment it was released.
    Not surprised. It's as boring as they come, containing only lots of running around and mindless hoop-jumping. And the only plot relevant bit is the talk with Loriss at the end.

There's simply no point in having non-combat missions as long as there aren't anything intellectually challenging in them.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    I'd like to see the Fek'lhri get more time personally but out of the list the Sheliak would be the most interesting. Being non-humanoid they have 0 chance of being a player race in STO, but I always wanted to see them developed more specifically because they aren't just another human with nose/ear/forehead attachments.

"The Federation is nothing more than a homo sapiens only club." --Chancellor Azetbur
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    I respect the Sheliak because they stood up to and were going to nuke some Feds.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    There's simply no point in having non-combat missions as long as there aren't anything intellectually challenging in them.
    That would be even worse, as even less people want to have to pass some overly designed political game or w/e, then they want to play a mission about politics in the first place.
    Non-combat = politics how?

But yes, I am of course aware of the segment of the playerbase that loudly objects to anything actually resembling a game. Instead preferring to repeatedly grind the same mechanistic millstones with zero challenge, a few explosions and lots of rewards as fast as possible.

Those people already have ISA and CCA, so they don't need any new content. And the only new content they would want is "just like ISA and CCA, but faster and more rewards."
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    No more factions until the Romulans and AOY get full 1-60 storylines without necessity for joining another faction.

That won't ever happen, so take this as you will.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    No more factions until the Romulans and AOY get full 1-60 storylines without necessity for joining another faction.

Someone didn't read the entire OP :)

Personally, I'd like to see the Voth explored some more, I've always found their concept fascinating.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    PAKLEDS! Much respect for this poll!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

I'm actually guilty of that as well. I just realized that this is about NPC FACTIONS...not player factions. Apologies to the OP for ranting about things that didn't fit the topic.

For NPC factions, that's a whole different thing. I'd go for the Tzenkethi Coalition. But only if they use the versions developed in the Typhon Pact novels, which would be pretty difficult to do - not only because the novels are considered non-canon mostly.

memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Tzenkethi

• Options
    roborobin96roborobin96 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited September 2016

I'm actually guilty of that as well. I just realized that this is about NPC FACTIONS...not player factions. Apologies to the OP for ranting about things that didn't fit the topic.

For NPC factions, that's a whole different thing. I'd go for the Tzenkethi Coalition. But only if they use the versions developed in the Typhon Pact novels, which would be pretty difficult to do - not only because the novels are considered non-canon mostly.

memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Tzenkethi

I'd want that version of the Tzenkethi as well, we don't need "heavily armored lizard things", we already have the Gorn and the Voth for that.

Personally, I'd like to see some factions more fleshed out, like the Fek'Ihri for example. I also want dreadnoghts and fighters added to the Cardassian NPC faction.

Even if Cryptic wouldn't make storylines with the species on the list, they could include them in the Foundry to give authors more to work with.

830px-Vesta_side.jpg

Who's the prettiest of them all?
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Klingons... I'd like to see klingons.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas