What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please Revamp Ship Death System

2»

Comments

• Options
    edthorsen#2838 edthorsen Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    My opinion has always been that our death is a temporal reset. Like in the episode of TNG where they blew up 64 times before figuring out how to resolve it and live.
  • Options
    livefire11livefire11 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Ok, after reading all your comments I think I found a solution by making some alterations to the original idea that most people will be able to agree with. When your in story mode and PVE you only die by getting disabled (like ground combat) and your ship systems goes off line, has fires, and rolls on its side leaking plasma. You then have 2 choices, 1. Abandon ship, which as I said you will then see a whole bunch of escape pods and maybe even a self destruct option in there as well which could do some serious AOE Damage and then you respawn back at your nearest faction star base and pay some EC and you have your ship and all of its gear like new.

If your completely broke no worries as it will let you go negative on EC that you will owe your faction, allowing you to use your ship to begin earning EC again. This of course prevents you from being completely TRIBBLE if you die and hit evacuate ship instead of repair when you have no EC. Option 2 will be to repair, in which case you will just sit there for a while disabled as your crew slowly repair your ships and brings all its systems back on line. This can also be assisted and sped up by your fellow team using their engineering abilities that are currently in the game and maybe even new ones specifically for this like sending crew menbers over in shuttles to help like the boarding party skill.

This solves the immersion and realism for the story and PVE game. In PVP, until they build us a proper system like eve online has with a specific uncharted sector of space specifically designed for open PVP, and fleets to compete over this space in real time as their (end game) it should just be described as a simulation. Allowing you to do both the story/PVE death options as well but instead of respawning back at a star base you just respawn like you currently do. In addition you can be attacked until you actually blow up in which case you simply respawn like you currently do as well, as its understood to just be a simulation to train for combat in from the very beginning. Thank you for all your great input guys!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    itpalg wrote: »
    livefire11 wrote: »
    You got this right in ground battles where we are only ever incapacitated and able to always be revived.

You never had to click the "Respawn" button on a TPW/K or to prevent one in ground solo? What button are you clicking in pve group queue?

The one that says "Paradox Corrector." B)
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    My opinion has always been that our death is a temporal reset. Like in the episode of TNG where they blew up 64 times before figuring out how to resolve it and live.

The Paradox Corrector (for ground) tends to lend credibility for your theory. We're all destined for something greater and blowing up in ISA while testing out a DPS build so you can get bigger numbers would cause too much damage to the timeline or whatever.

So, STO is kind of like this movie.

7g0uOeA.jpg​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    kaloriaa4kaloriaa4 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Why are Warp Core so fragile every little bump or jolt always threatens a warp core to breach? Can't we feds make stronger more durable warp cores. Also I ask how is the warp cores being breached? How is the ships hull effect the core itself? Unless the enemy actually shoots the warp core how is the hull effecting the health of the core?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    kaloriaa4 wrote: »
    Why are Warp Core so fragile every little bump or jolt always threatens a warp core to breach? Can't we feds make stronger more durable warp cores. Also I ask how is the warp cores being breached? How is the ships hull effect the core itself? Unless the enemy actually shoots the warp core how is the hull effecting the health of the core?
    Why does a hit to the bottom of the secondary hull make a console on the bridge explode?

Why do you drive on a parkway, but park on a driveway?

Why ask why? Drink... well, not Bud Dry, I'm told that even as American beers go it's not very good...​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    kaloriaa4 wrote: »

Because Star Trek is fiction, and that means the primary storyline purpose of anything with the words "core" or "reactor" in its name is to either blow up or to be stopped from blowing up at the last second by the heroes. o:)