test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please Revamp Ship Death System

livefire11livefire11 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
We should not actually die in STO, we are all the Hero's or "Star" of the show/film in our own adventure in STO. This is not EVE Online where we can die without breaking immersion because we all have clones that our consciousness can upload to at other space stations. You got this right in ground battles where we are only ever incapacitated and able to always be revived. But you missed this point in space combat so when we currently blow up "DIE" in our ship and then just magically reappear to try again it greatly breaks immersion and the feel of Star Trek.

I purpose a feature where when the ship is technically destroyed it goes into an automated evacuation sequence where all the escape pods eject and fly away before the ship explodes and or breaks apart (like the shows/movies). Then we simply reappear at our nearest faction station that has a ship yard where our faction replaces our ship at a reasonable energy cost (much like the damage repair cost we have now). This would maintain constant immersion and be far more consistent with cannon.

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    This idea would not go well with players in various space queues or battlezones. Having to replace your ship at the nearest space station while your team is waiting on you will certainly make them lose any sense of fun going after any, but the easiest of queues.
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    You do not die, it's all illusion.
    Remember, the server's name is...
    ... yeah, The Holodeck.
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    kiksken wrote: »
    You do not die, it's all illusion.
    Remember, the server's name is...
    ... yeah, The Holodeck.

The same could be claimed for reality. You do not die, it's all an illusion. It is just an illusion that most people don't want to test out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szzVlQ653as

• chitowngrizz420chitowngrizz420 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I always thought something similar to this should be in sto. Unlike the escape pod and dock idea it should be that your ship blows out a few explosions and fizzles while rotating and leaks plasma but stays in the spot which already is in sto. Its like you are severely disabled and instead of spawning someplace else after the timer you resurrect in the same spot as if you repaired the ship and got back into the fight. you could also have a separate spawn spot option if dont wish to come back in the spot you got knocked out at. knowing that most of this is already in the game it would easy to implement.
    lololol_zpszeo2byvx.jpg
    Fleet Admiral GRIZZ
    U.S.S. Chicago NCC 1833-C
    Sector 31 ANTKB

ANTKB Gaming Community
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    They could just replace it ship death with a disable.
    all subsystems go offline. and you ship is adrift until a restore bar (timer) finishes.
    the length of this bar is determined on how many times you have been 'disabled'
    the bar can be shortened with engineering team and high subsystem repair skill. Other players can use also Engineering team to restore you.
    The current 'injury' system items could be also shorten the bar. (although the system itself could still work fine)
    When you are disabled, your aggro is wiped. And for a few seconds after you recover, you cant get aggro
    As for re-spawning, if you are disabled 3 or more times in a short amount of time, a dialog box pops up and asks if you wish to restart. (this is not available in Space queues)
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Yeah..... "never" gonna happen.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Honestly the only change I think should be done is to remove the pointless Injury system and just add a temporary death penalty debuff (-hp-shd-dmg) that gets removed when you exit the instance this would work for both ground and space STF's.

Being able to repair and remove the damage or Injury during the STF like we can currently removes any consequence to death the above changes that.

You could give certain careers a captain power that can remove debuff Eng for space ship repairs and Sci for cure injury this would bring the trinity system back somewhat.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Bad idea...

Queues are based on you dying and re-spawning... It simply won't work without reworking every single mission in game.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    Well, I think it should be like NPC ships in a lot of missions - when they get "killed", they are simply disabled and there is a "repairing" bar
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    I would rather they get rid of the death animation entirely, and employ a powered down state instead.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »
    Well, I think it should be like NPC ships in a lot of missions - when they get "killed", they are simply disabled and there is a "repairing" bar

see... 100 times better idea, right here.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,745 Community Moderator
    Yes, disabled is the best idea. A new animation could show the ship's lights flickering, adrift with inertial dampeners offline, and venting plasma with a "Warp Core Offline" notice. Then instead of respawn, you'd get a "Warp Core Online" notice to respawn.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    Yes, disabled is the best idea. A new animation could show the ship's lights flickering, adrift with inertial dampeners offline, and venting plasma with a "Warp Core Offline" notice. Then instead of respawn, you'd get a "Warp Core Online" notice to respawn.

And people could "revive" you with an eng team, that would be a cool idea.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    adamkafei wrote: »

And people could "revive" you with an eng team, that would be a cool idea.

It would make teamwork essential and make people think about how they do their builds
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
      Like the ships in the episodes, we should just be able to "Repair". I mean, if you activate your self destruct, then fine, but otherwise just us a chance and stop the monotony of the counter!
    • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
      If anything should be done I think things like repair materials and regenerators should be removed from the game, and injuries accumulated would need to be fixed at the starbase engineer or doctor.

This would force people to think mor carefully about their builds and playstyle in higher end content as death actually has a consequence for that mission.
      "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
      Yeah, I'm in the "never gonna happen" camp on this. For one thing, being disabled works okay - sort of - if you're in a team, but on a solo mission, if you're ship gets disabled, your enemies are going to just shoot you until you blow up anyway. To have to respawn at a starbase and start a mission all over again is a horrible idea really. It's an unnecessary time sink, and "death penalties" aren't any fun, which is really what a game is all about.

I'm all for immersion, but you can just as easily pretend that you're ship didn't blow up, or you were caught in some temporal anomaly that gave you a second chance at an event or whatever, but penalizing players for playing the game just sucks. Playtime is precious for some people, and what with the hours of maintenance that some of us have to go through to run the DOFF assignments and Admiralty missions on several alts, actually playing missions is a luxury at times. At least that's my opinion.

That being said, I don't mind the idea of repairs and bringing back some sort of crew system where they have to be healed and replenished at a factional starbase. However, if they were to do something like that, they'd have to add in a lot more starbases or even a planet based facility (which would be a good thing to add in the game anyway, for the sake of variety), so that I don't have to go too far to do those sorts of things.

• necreliosis#4763 necreliosis Member Posts: 112 Arc User
      As others have pointed out, the reason you die is because you're in a holodeck. That's why your journal is called the "Mission Simulator."
    • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
      So we're all really disciples of Reg Barclay then? How odd...
      A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
      But then I wouldn't get to laugh at Scimitars flipping around wildly while crunching up into a tiny ball and exploding.
    • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
      Getting rid of explosions? In the Tens?

That's... madness!
      #TASforSTO
      Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
      edited August 2016
      livefire11 wrote: »
      I purpose a feature where when the ship is technically destroyed it goes into an automated evacuation sequence where all the escape pods eject and fly away before the ship explodes and or breaks apart (like the shows/movies). Then we simply reappear at our nearest faction station that has a ship yard where our faction replaces our ship at a reasonable energy cost (much like the damage repair cost we have now). This would maintain constant immersion and be far more consistent with cannon.

Take the step of thinking about how this would work out in the current game. Say you're playing a PVE and, because you're the only one actually working towards on objective, you draw all the fire and explode. Ok, you're dead and now it's time to move on. But you can't respawn. The only way to get back in the game is to go back to a shipyard, on a social map, which is a completely separate instance from the PVE you were just playing. So, you're out of the match, your remaining team mates jobs just got a little bit harder (assuming they haven't died yet too), and the game is asking for EC (in addition to all the hassle you just went through) simply for the chance to try again.

Simply put, that TRIBBLE won't fly. For immersion's sake it's possible to construct all sorts of scenarios for how a given activity should work (for example: notifying Starfleet Command every time you decide to go off course from your current assignment.) But immersion and good gameplay mechanics don't necessarily agree. Here, they're wildly at odds with one another. The current system is mechanically fine, but an update to starship death effects and animations would certainly be welcome (escape pods, new sound, new visual FX).
      Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
      Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
      Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
      Don't die.
      Be good.
    • itpalgitpalg Member Posts: 340 Arc User
      livefire11 wrote: »
      You got this right in ground battles where we are only ever incapacitated and able to always be revived.

You never had to click the "Respawn" button on a TPW/K or to prevent one in ground solo? What button are you clicking in pve group queue?

ITPaladin.png
    • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
      Sit floating in sector space as a disabled hulk leaking green gas, until some other ship shows up to salvage yours, all the while listening to the sound of urgent repairs or your crew thunderdoming it out for the last of the air.
      DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
    • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
      Yeah - I talked about this with some fellow sto players a long time ago. I think it's a little silly that your ship just explodes then spawns back into existence after a set amount of time. Personally, I would much rather that your ship simply become disabled after being reduced to 0 hull. Perhaps like on the ground someone needs to use a skill that restores your ship (at least in multiplayer missions). Additionally, I wish there was more of a penalty for being destroyed. As it is now you might get an ship injury if you're playing on advanced or elite, but that can be repaired for free at a starbase.
      Tza0PEl.png
    • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
      TL;DR
    • theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
      Nope. I don't like it. No "disable" unless the mission calls for it somehow. Sometimes you just take too much damage and your warp core goes critical and explodes and you die. On the plus side, it probably means you died well, especially on the KDF side ("good day to die" and all that).
    • edthorsen#2838 edthorsen Member Posts: 9 Arc User
      My opinion has always been that our death is a temporal reset. Like in the episode of TNG where they blew up 64 times before figuring out how to resolve it and live.
    • livefire11livefire11 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
      edited September 2016
      Ok, after reading all your comments I think I found a solution by making some alterations to the original idea that most people will be able to agree with. When your in story mode and PVE you only die by getting disabled (like ground combat) and your ship systems goes off line, has fires, and rolls on its side leaking plasma. You then have 2 choices, 1. Abandon ship, which as I said you will then see a whole bunch of escape pods and maybe even a self destruct option in there as well which could do some serious AOE Damage and then you respawn back at your nearest faction star base and pay some EC and you have your ship and all of its gear like new.

If your completely broke no worries as it will let you go negative on EC that you will owe your faction, allowing you to use your ship to begin earning EC again. This of course prevents you from being completely TRIBBLE if you die and hit evacuate ship instead of repair when you have no EC. Option 2 will be to repair, in which case you will just sit there for a while disabled as your crew slowly repair your ships and brings all its systems back on line. This can also be assisted and sped up by your fellow team using their engineering abilities that are currently in the game and maybe even new ones specifically for this like sending crew menbers over in shuttles to help like the boarding party skill.

This solves the immersion and realism for the story and PVE game. In PVP, until they build us a proper system like eve online has with a specific uncharted sector of space specifically designed for open PVP, and fleets to compete over this space in real time as their (end game) it should just be described as a simulation. Allowing you to do both the story/PVE death options as well but instead of respawning back at a star base you just respawn like you currently do. In addition you can be attacked until you actually blow up in which case you simply respawn like you currently do as well, as its understood to just be a simulation to train for combat in from the very beginning. Thank you for all your great input guys!