test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Looking forward to Star Trek Discovery!

livefire11livefire11 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
I am very much looking forward to the knew show and being able to have the show and play my favorite MMO at the same time is going to be awesome! However after seeing the test CGI ship CBS released I am TRIBBLE horrified! STO is the best expression of the Star Trek Universe with the best art, story, and immersive idea's. I would really like it if the STO artist would reach out to the CBS crew and offer there help in designing the discovery, they have had a lot of practice over the last 6 years designing and selling ships to the Star Trek Fan Base. I can think of no one else that would be better qualified to design the new ship (extremely important in Trek) for the new series!

Comments

• Options
    livefire11livefire11 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    livefire11 wrote: »
    I am very much looking forward to the knew show and being able to have the show and play my favorite MMO at the same time is going to be awesome! However after seeing the test CGI ship CBS released I am **** horrified! STO is the best expression of the Star Trek Universe with the best art, story, and immersive idea's. I would really like it if the STO artist would reach out to the CBS crew and offer there help in designing the discovery, they have had a lot of practice over the last 6 years designing and selling ships to the Star Trek Fan Base. I can think of no one else that would be better qualified to design the new ship (extremely important in Trek) for the new series!
    Also please work with them in other aspects as well, as having cross over with the on going show just like we do with the films would be beyond cool!

• Options
    gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Axanar is cool, Discovery is a project to cash in on Star trek popularity. It's a pay to watch prequel with a bad ship design. Said design was chosen from 40 year old design concepts and given a few changes. Can't really comment on story lines and characters because of their tight lipped no info policy. Not anticipating much from this new show.
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    Show is going to be a train wreck. They need to stop going backwards, it didn't work with Enterprise and it won't work here. In fact, this is worse cause the ship is probably the worst I've ever seen.

It should have taken place 50 years after STO. All the giant wars are done, and Starfleet is ready for a new age of exploration, a renaissance of discovery. It would allow for some really amazing story telling, and if licensed properly, they already have numerous amazing 25th century ships ready to go, just pull the models and textures from STO and render for screen. It would look amazing.

But who am I kidding, they're never going to do something that smart.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I'm curios to see the cast list, Will they bring in some classic trek actors, those who had supporting guest rolls who deserve to be in the spot light. Jeffry Combs comes to mind. He has made every minor character he has played into a memorable one, and his reoccurring characters always stole the show. Right now the only thing that will make me want to watch this show is if they have an outstanding cast.
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Show is going to be a train wreck. They need to stop going backwards, it didn't work with Enterprise and it won't work here. In fact, this is worse cause the ship is probably the worst I've ever seen.

It should have taken place 50 years after STO. All the giant wars are done, and Starfleet is ready for a new age of exploration, a renaissance of discovery. It would allow for some really amazing story telling, and if licensed properly, they already have numerous amazing 25th century ships ready to go, just pull the models and textures from STO and render for screen. It would look amazing.

hell they didn't even have to go that far they could have just fleshed out the sto story line and ran with it and just added on to it like you said even used all the ship assets from the game ..instant hit and would suck in even more folks to the game ...lordy can you imagine a real life admiral quinn and kurland and sulu ...and in the first show have everybody slyly asking wheres sulu?? lol man pure gold
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    Hopefully they won't choose any STO stories which are also solely based on time travel and revenge. No creativity whatsoever. And I'm glad they stayed away from the boring STO design flat, no-dimension horribly balanced ships too. The show will likely be bad in any case, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Who knows, it could surprise.
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Hopefully they won't choose any STO stories which are also solely based on time travel and revenge. No creativity whatsoever. And I'm glad they stayed away from the boring STO design flat, no-dimension horribly balanced ships too. The show will likely be bad in any case, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Who knows, it could surprise.

discovery is a space t-ur-d that wont even make it out of space dock
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,368 Arc User
    Interesting to see that we have so many industry insiders and great prognosticators around here. Because we don't have enough details yet on the series for any sane person to make any educated guesses - your forecasts must come from either your work within the production company responsible, or your amazing powers of precognition.

Incidentally, I have to laugh at anyone who calls any Trek show "space ****" while also sporting a picture of Mad Kathy Janeway in their sig.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User

That wouldn't be very smart in my book. Enterprise failed because the Berman Show thought if its not broken dont fix and brought on a fixer too late in the game. Its been ten plus years since Trek has been on the small screen and we should just wait until the first few episodes to call it a trainwreck.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

One of the problems with Enterprise is that it went backwards and forwards. We got 2 Star Trek series in 1. One where we see the foundation of the Federation and another where time travellers are messing with the present.

Personally, I am hoping that each season or half season is set in a different time with a different crew. So Season 1 might be set 10 years before TOS while Season 2 is set 20 years after The Undiscovered Country. Prequels just limit what stories can be told.
  • Options
    ezicstar#2795 ezicstar Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    I have enough faith in Fuller from his other work that I don't think it will be a failure. It will for sure be pretty different from the other series but that's exactly what the franchise needs. Enterprise failed because it failed to distinguish itself. From what I've heard of the way it's being written, it's going to be more thoughtful and complex than any Trek series has been since DS9.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I was till I saw that TRIBBLE looking ship.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    I love that Discovery! Very apt for its time period.

And when you already know that ship changes every season, why the hell are you worried about it?

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    askatusaskatus Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    When I started seeing that ship on YouTube I assumed it was another fan practicing with 3d modelling and animation. That monstrosity is the actual real ship they're actually using for the actual next Star Trek series? It looks like a six year old tried to make an Enterprise out of Lego but didn't have the right parts.
    You shoot me down
    But I respawn
    I am duranium!
  • Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Every ST TV franchise took years to grow on the community. Starting from TOS.

Trek fans like to think of themselves as progressive flexible thinkers unlike all those other TV watching sheeple. But the truth is they are stubborn, hidebound, and resistant to a slight change in each new take of the franchise.

ST:E was just fine. Well the intro music was out of step. They thought they had the market support to take their time and develop out the show like ST:DS9 and ST:VOY, misinterpreted history, took too long to pick up speed but when they did it was breathtaking and exciting.

ST:D (I will always chuckle at the acronym) will no doubt go through the same lifecyle and ten years from now it will be considered the best trek EVAH by nostalgic people who insult CBS and Paramount for... not being "progressive flexible thinkers unlike all those other TV watching sheeple".
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    I'm sure it will be brilliant, there is nothing wrong at all with this show. I can't wait to see it on Netflix!

Now I wait and enjoy the jealousy...
  • Options
    ezicstar#2795 ezicstar Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @askatus

First, the ship design seen in the comiccon teaser is based on a design from Gene's Phase II project in the 70s which eventually became Star Trek The Motion Picture. Second, that is not the final design.

Actually it's from a production design from Planet of the Titans which was a totally different concept from Phase II. It was by Ralph McQuarrie who did the technical designs for Star Wars too.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,368 Arc User
    Ezic, the original McQuarrie drawings have been linked to elsewhere - I remember seeing them in Starlog magazine back in the day. The design in the clip was more of a cross between McQuarrie's Enterprise concept and one of the higher-tier Exploration Cruisers in STO, though - McQuarrie, for instance, still had round nacelles on his ship, and he'd designed the secondary hull as a flat triangle with canards, while this design (and the Exploration Cruiser) had the sides gently sloping up to flattened, sort of rectangular nacelles.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    gholendhor wrote: »
    Axanar is cool, Discovery is a project to cash in on Star trek popularity. It's a pay to watch prequel with a bad ship design. Said design was chosen from 40 year old design concepts and given a few changes. Can't really comment on story lines and characters because of their tight lipped no info policy. Not anticipating much from this new show.

Given what we know now, Axanar was a cash grab.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Oh look. Blind hatred without having seen it. So much has changed.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Oh look. Blind hatred without having seen it. So much has changed.​​

Starfleet fandom at its finest. 10/10, would Trek again.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    I have enough faith in Fuller from his other work that I don't think it will be a failure.

That is an odd thing to say considering Fuller has a history of creating series that crash and burn and end up cancelled. He has a very poor track record when it comes to longevity
    Oh look. Blind hatred without having seen it. So much has changed.

They have made more than sufficient public statements about it to see major red flags in its concept