test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online coming to Xbox One and Playstation 4!

Comments

• kyle#8877 kyle Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Sorry for the angry rant i just think It's a horrible thought that consoles users would be put on the sidelines simply over a unjustified belief that pc players should be given special treatment on consoles when sto is a brand new experience just for us console gamers again sorry for the rant i just get really worked up over how unfair it would be.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    kyle#8877 wrote: »
    Sorry for the angry rant i just think It's a horrible thought that consoles users would be put on the sidelines simply over a unjustified belief that pc players should be given special treatment on consoles when sto is a brand new experience just for us console gamers again sorry for the rant i just get really worked up over how unfair it would be.

It would be unfair to give players access to things they have purchased, that are also available for other players to purchase? :confused:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • wag61283wag61283 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Well all of this is a mute point since cryptic has said it will not happen so I say let's move on from this. Can not wait for this to hit console
  • joshthejigglerjoshthejiggler Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    xceptopec wrote: »
    As regards the query about Forge, given that it's been (very close to) 18 months since Neverwinter hit the XB1 (and over a year since it hit PS4), and we still do not have Forge there, I'm doubtful that we will see Forge in STO on the consoles at any point in the forseeable future.

Thanks for your response, xceptopec. (C:

That stinks. I played Neverwinter for all of about an hour on my Xbox. Were Forge / Foundry missions available to console players while creation was just the domain of PC players? Or was that functionality completely stripped from the console version? Honestly, it would make sense that it would be omitted from the console version. Things like Foundry can get a bit difficult on a controller. Just look at Disney Infinity. While there was some great UGC for that game, most of it was mediocre at best to say the least. And while that was a game geared towards kids, if you knew what you were doing, you could make some very elaborate things in it.

Not a deal breaker by any means, but I enjoyed the Foundry when I played on PC years ago. Being able to play with my friends whom have never been PC gamers though, is a great boon to bring me back to this game. It would be fun if we could play some Foundry missions together.

• xceptopecxceptopec Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    xceptopec wrote: »
    As regards the query about Forge, given that it's been (very close to) 18 months since Neverwinter hit the XB1 (and over a year since it hit PS4), and we still do not have Forge there, I'm doubtful that we will see Forge in STO on the consoles at any point in the forseeable future.

Thanks for your response, xceptopec. (C:

That stinks. I played Neverwinter for all of about an hour on my Xbox. Were Forge / Foundry missions available to console players while creation was just the domain of PC players? Or was that functionality completely stripped from the console version? Honestly, it would make sense that it would be omitted from the console version. Things like Foundry can get a bit difficult on a controller. Just look at Disney Infinity. While there was some great UGC for that game, most of it was mediocre at best to say the least. And while that was a game geared towards kids, if you knew what you were doing, you could make some very elaborate things in it.

Not a deal breaker by any means, but I enjoyed the Foundry when I played on PC years ago. Being able to play with my friends whom have never been PC gamers though, is a great boon to bring me back to this game. It would be fun if we could play some Foundry missions together.

No aspect of Forge/Foundry at all, there was a rumour in the early days that Forge/Foundry would come to the consoles, but it has still not arrived, and the console version of Neverwinter is only 1 expansion behind the PC as it stands now. I still remain hopeful that it might come eventually - other games such as the Halo series, GTA:Online and Doom have all proved that custom games/maps editors on consoles do work, so who knows.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Cryptic mentioned that the FOundry itself would not be available, but it might be possible to carry Foundry missions over.

I think the problem is that to get the Foundry on consoles, they would also have to come up with a console friendly User Interface for it. And while that is probably possible, it's a large undertaking. It can't happen while they are making the UI changes on the core game itself, but even after that, it might be questionable if it's worth doing, both in terms of money it could generate, and the amount of players that would feel a strong benefit.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • tuckman1tuckman1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Just out of curiosity and I am sure not the first to ask this but for those of us like myself who poured a good amount of dollars into the PC version, will my stuff be usable on the Xbox Version because I will be damned if I'm going to pay for some of the ships again lol. Sorry in advance but 17 pages of reading when your in a rush isn't going to work
  • wag61283wag61283 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    No they will not. According to cryptic its to create a lvl playing field but that said it could be something they do latter on but if it goes like neverwinter I doubt it will
  • sammydjrsammydjr Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I don't care to buy an xbox. But I hate using the keyboard on the PC. I have an XBOX controller on my PC, can I just get access to the interface for the XBOX controller?

Just make it an option.
  • jstryverjstryver Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    According to this it happens next week.
  • direwolf016#2451 direwolf016 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    That's...actually really awesome.
    Interestingly, we're also seeing the console release getting a revamped Cardassian-Dominion Lock Box. It includes things we haven't got on PC yet, too: the Cardassian Keldon Cruiser [T6] and Jem’Hadar Dreadnought Carrier [T6], while the JHEC is showing up in the Lobi Store (no Tier mentioned, so probably no change). There's no mention of the Starship Traits these provide, but that will probably show up in a stats blog.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • darkknightsquaddarkknightsquad Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    does anyone know if we will be able to transfer and sync up the PC game with the console game? No matter what platform a player uses, they will always use the same account and does not have to start all over in the XBOX/PS4 game.
  • jstryverjstryver Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    You start fresh
  • rpgplayerrpgplayer Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Still no release date huh, i was hoping that we would hear something about it today... :(
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    rpgplayer wrote: »
    Still no release date huh, i was hoping that we would hear something about it today... :(

Their are unconfirmed reports of a September 6th release date. Still trying to confirm those reports
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    does anyone know if we will be able to transfer and sync up the PC game with the console game? No matter what platform a player uses, they will always use the same account and does not have to start all over in the XBOX/PS4 game.
    Everyone starts from level one, so as not to intimidate the newbies on the consoles. On the other hand, you know how to do everything already, so you've still got an edge.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Interestingly, we're also seeing the console release getting a revamped Cardassian-Dominion Lock Box. It includes things we haven't got on PC yet, too: the Cardassian Keldon Cruiser [T6] and Jem’Hadar Dreadnought Carrier [T6], while the JHEC is showing up in the Lobi Store (no Tier mentioned, so probably no change). There's no mention of the Starship Traits these provide, but that will probably show up in a stats blog.

We should eventually get that lockbox and those ships on PC too. They can't really afford not to. I can't see that large of a portion of the current PC STO community moving over to consoles for their STO needs. Especially not with all that we've invested in the PC version and the fact that PC is just a generally better experience, due to the portability of laptops and certain powerful tablets giving us more access and playtime on the go. I also can't see this game being all that popular on consoles due to the horrible state of PvP among other things.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • dwapookdwapook Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    kyle#8877 wrote: »

It would be unfair to give players access to things they have purchased, that are also available for other players to purchase? :confused:

Obviously using those $150 packs is preferential treatment.. They don't want you to have an unfair advantage in this single player oriented mmo! It's not like they would have any other reason to encourage you to double dip..
    IMHO, all of the concern over the purchased DLC/items porting over to the consoles is kinda daft. In general, when you buy a game on one system-family (as well as any extra content), it's always been the case that you'd start over if you bought it on another.

The only information that I've seen transferred has been accolades associated with one's profile--which ties in with a chosen email--such as certain in-game-points gained through EA Sports. Maybe there's a different expectation from players when it comes to MMOs, but there's almost no precedence when it comes to what some people in this thread are asking for.

This isn't meant as an attack, but just a dose of reality... Even if the devs wanted to (which, from a monetary standpoint, why would they?), they'd have a number of legal hurdles to jump through--each console/system gets some established percentage of whatever's sold, which is why it's possible for PS+ and XbGold to offer exclusive content.

Regardless of whether it's viewed as "fair" or not, it's just the way it's always been.
    edited September 2016
    IMHO, all of the concern over the purchased DLC/items porting over to the consoles is kinda daft. In general, when you buy a game on one system-family (as well as any extra content), it's always been the case that you'd start over if you bought it on another.

The only information that I've seen transferred has been accolades associated with one's profile--which ties in with a chosen email--such as certain in-game-points gained through EA Sports. Maybe there's a different expectation from players when it comes to MMOs, but there's almost no precedence when it comes to what some people in this thread are asking for.

This isn't meant as an attack, but just a dose of reality... Even if the devs wanted to (which, from a monetary standpoint, why would they?), they'd have a number of legal hurdles to jump through--each console/system gets some established percentage of whatever's sold, which is why it's possible for PS+ and XbGold to offer exclusive content.

Regardless of whether it's viewed as "fair" or not, it's just the way it's always been.

Almost no precedence doesn't mean no precedence, and we were just hoping STO would aim to be better than standard. It didn't, and we aren't getting access to account purchases or cross-platform play, so it's more of a general debate than anything that's really going to make a difference. Still, those of us with friends that want to play on console have a strong disincentive to join them, namely account unlocks valued above that of the console those friends are playing on. That in turn brings up comparative pricing for items in STO compared to most console offerings (for example: you can buy every DLC pack offered for ESO for less than a T6 9-Pack of ships, and ESO did allow for an account transfer at console launch... all from the company responsible for the original "horse armor" meme), but that's a whole separate discussion...

In any case, as of now the only announced reward for linking in your Arc account is a Khan costume unlock; otherwise, linking accounts has no apparent benefit to the user. There is no cross-platform play, and there are no cross-platform unlocks. Any other discussion on the subject is just that.
    Post edited by breadandcircuses on
    Ym9x9Ji.png
  • mccarronxldmccarronxld Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    While I have no interest in playing STO on the console I am curious about the streamlining that is being done for them.

Will PC players also get a more intuitive UI? Is the game being streamlined on the PC to cut down on the ridiculous ability bloat?

Something I've always hated about STO is it feels more like a twitchy ability spam game than tactical tall ship combat (which is what Star Trek is about).
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."
  • dwapookdwapook Member Posts: 43 Arc User

I don't need a dose of reality, I'm aware of all that.. It just gets annoying to see people repeatedly called selfish for wanting something that would actually give me a reason to go off and buy overly expensive packs..(Which I still probably wouldn't get much actual use out of btw).. o.o; I think after you play the game you wont find it so "daft" anymore..

• wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »

Their are unconfirmed reports of a September 6th release date. Still trying to confirm those reports

According to Priority One it was announced during the Panel at the New York Con, but dunno why nothing official on the website or forum, or even Social Media for Cryptic
  • orthodoxaorthodoxa Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »

According to Priority One it was announced during the Panel at the New York Con, but dunno why nothing official on the website or forum, or even Social Media for Cryptic

Yeah, I saw a Twitch streamed video where a guy was clearly playing a PS4 version of the game, and he also stated that it will launch on September 6th. He said that his source was a press email -- like you, I don't know why we haven't seen something more official yet on the website, forum, or their official social media.

I really hope that it is true! I would love to start playing on my PS4 this week, it would be so fun.

34ru9dw.jpg
    dwapook wrote: »
    I don't need a dose of reality, I'm aware of all that.. It just gets annoying to see people repeatedly called selfish for wanting something that would actually give me a reason to go off and buy overly expensive packs..(Which I still probably wouldn't get much actual use out of btw).. o.o; I think after you play the game you wont find it so "daft" anymore..
    Don't assume I don't get it, because I do. I've looked at all the pricing for the content, and there was an initial sticker-shock. It's an expensive game if you're looking for the "best" gear to min/max with. And I don't agree that it's "selfish" for people to want to carry their purchases between systems--one of the biggest things I like about Dynasty Warriors 8 is that I can switch between my PS4 and PS3 when I want to and the DLC is already purchased for both, but even then, I still had to buy the base-games for each system (not to mention that they're both within the Playstation system-family).

Having said that, though, I still think it's silly to call a developer "bad" or "greedy" (as some in this thread have) for not porting DLC between systems on a free-to-play game, especially when the game in question runs exclusively through online servers. If the income to run the game isn't coming from the game, itself (especially if players are holding to the F2P variant), where are the funds going to come from to maintain said-servers? I'm aware that they've had occasional difficulties in that area, but so have servers for games such as Smite, ESO, and various other online-only games. Would you prefer the game pauses every ten minutes to give you an un-skippable ad or two? It'd be entirely different if they didn't routinely, over the last six years, release free and expansive content and simply left the game as it was while raking it in for all of the paid-DLC/packs.

tl;dr
    Do I think the pricing is a bit ridiculous? Absolutely, but that's a completely separate argument. My point is that you're paying, one way or another, for the upkeep of a six-year-old game running exclusively online, and rewarding and funding them for building it for the consoles if/when you buy any content for those versions.
  • walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    I have my doubts that it launches on September 6th. I am pretty sure that we would have heard something from not only Cryptic but also Sony and Microsoft by now if it was. I mean don't get me wrong it is entirely possible but maybe they meant we will find out the actual date on September 6th.
    sstosig2.png
  • xceptopecxceptopec Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    walligig wrote: »
    I have my doubts that it launches on September 6th. I am pretty sure that we would have heard something from not only Cryptic but also Sony and Microsoft by now if it was. I mean don't get me wrong it is entirely possible but maybe they meant we will find out the actual date on September 6th.

The lack of comments from MicroSoft is not that surprising, nor is it without precedent. There was very little mention of Neverwinter, other than an advert tile that was in the lower left of the dashboard on the XB1 when Neverwinter was almost live. Another of the larger MMOs that came to the XB1 that was pretty much not even mentioned prior to going live, was DC Yniverse Online. And there have been several other releases that have also gone completely under the radar. The only reason I even knew it was coming was when I saw an E3 video show up in my YouTube recommended list, 3 months ago.