test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Warp core: Terran Resistance warp core or Temporal Defense?

djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,382 Arc User
edited August 2016 in The Academy
Terran core gives me that added power in battle. It's bonuses are also decent. But the Temporal core would complete the set, and it has the sector space speed bonus, witch I'm really tempted by. Sector space travel is a drag.
I guess it boils down to this-what is more useful overall: Sector space travel speed bonus with the Temporal Core or +5 subsystem power bonus with the Terran core?
What do you think?
P.S. Sets are fine, but I'm willing to mix and match if it's better.
C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
-Captain James T. Kirk
Post edited by djf021 on

Comments

• toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I have yet to find out whether the Temporal core + Assimilated engine somehow add up the sector space speed (EDIT: I mean, if they multiply or add to each other.). If so, I'll be tempted to get the Temporal core. If not, well... I'll keep what I got.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • itpalgitpalg Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    Risian Luxury Cruiser equipped with Solanae teleport drive is the defacto way to do the Tour the Galaxy daily IMO. It has the fastest and longest lasting speed.
    ITPaladin.png
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Are you wanting to just get a setup for Sector space travel and another for battle?

For space I use the Omega Impulse Engine, !00% recharge time reduction to SlipStream with the Any warp Core that gives 50% in recharge reduction time = 30sec recharge. Put that on something like the Chimera or Manticore Heavy Destroyer's give 60 seconds SlipStream drive. I do not use this for battles at all. I use it to get around when Im up to the task of Doffing.

Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    toiva wrote: »
    I have yet to find out whether the Temporal core + Assimilated engine somehow add up the sector space speed (EDIT: I mean, if they multiply or add to each other.). If so, I'll be tempted to get the Temporal core. If not, well... I'll keep what I got.

Sadly ..they dont stack...The Temp Sec speed overrides Assimilated.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    tarran61 wrote: »
    Are you wanting to just get a setup for Sector space travel and another for battle?

For space I use the Omega Impulse Engine, !00% recharge time reduction to SlipStream with the Any warp Core that gives 50% in recharge reduction time = 30sec recharge. Put that on something like the Chimera or Manticore Heavy Destroyer's give 60 seconds SlipStream drive. I do not use this for battles at all. I use it to get around when Im up to the task of Doffing.
    @tarran61 I'm going to use the Temporal Defense set for all space...whether sector space, system space, or in battle. Not really big on switching stuff out. For the warp core though, I guess I'm looking for opinions on what is ultimately more useful: Faster sector space travel (Temporal core) or extra subsystem power (Terran core).
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • dumas13dumas13 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    Honestly, I'd go with subsystem power over sector space travel. The Assimilated Engine already exists, along with Slipstream, transwarp, and various thing that improve all of those. On the other hand, I'd say that the Terran core's main bonus is EPS since the power bonus takes some time to build up in combat. The weapons capacitor is a very nice battery-type ability.

I'm interested in testing the Temporal Singularity core for my Romulan science toon, though, since it gives a pretty big EPG bonus.
    toiva wrote: »

Sadly ..they dont stack...The Temp Sec speed overrides Assimilated.

I finally got to test that out and you're almost correct. In fact, the Assimilated engine overrides the Temporal core. Somehow if only the Temporal core is slotted, you gain about 0.5 warp speed over having Assimilated engine slotted (same with or without the Temporal core). Probably the way the bonus is applied slightly differently and the the word "approximately" on the Assimilated engine.
    (Note, tested with the warp speed bonus skill choice active.)

I'll be staying with my Borgified engine, the difference is minimal and I'd be losing the 50% Transwarp CD reduction I use on most cores.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.

• hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Honestly, I've yet to see the much significant use running anything but the free Obelisk or Kobali warp cores. The miniscule effect of some set bonus hasn't been enough to justify the (32k dills + marks + elite marks) price tag to me yet.
  • nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    I may be one of the few people who totally ignored reputation warp cores in favor of the fleet warp cores. A lot of people get warp cores and other gear based on their set bonuses. I can understand why and I probably would do the same if I did not know what else there is out there, or the other ways of setting up your ship.

Personally, I totally ignore set bonuses as much as I can and if I do get one here and there then that is an extra bonus. You can create some seriously good builds by mixing and combining different gear based on their actual specifications. For example, the Temporal warp core is probably good if you need a lot of auxiliary but other than that I would personally not say that this warp core is appealing at all. Of course, this depends entirely on what you are in need of.

I myself prefer warp cores that increase the max power of engine power primarily and then shield as second, and then takes either my highest (weapon) or second highest powered system (engine) and converts a percentage of that into either weapons or engine. For example, Weapons->Engine, Engine->Weapons. After that it would be Weapons->Shields, Shields->Weapons, Shields->Engine. Auxiliary is something I totally ignore.

I also believe I am one of the few people to forego the [AMP] modifier in favor of other warp cores. This is solely based on my own preference but I think the cost of having [AMP] sometimes outweighs the benefits provided by that modifier.

So personally I wouldn't get either of them if I the choice. And if I were forced to pick one single reputation warp core then it would actually be the Undine/Counter Command warp core. That's because I have 100 into weapon power and 70 into engine power, and the Counter Command warp core has Engine->Weapons and boosts engine power as well. It would fit my above-mentioned preference really well.

My space build has literally almost no set bonuses at all but I've come up with some superb results by mixing and combining gear solely based on what they actually provide instead of mixing half good gear for their set bonuses.
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    How fast can you transwarp in sector space with the Temporal Defence Initiative Overcharged Warp Core and with the sector speed increase skill? From what I have read on sto wiki, you can transwarp at transwarp 14 and get a 0.2% Slipstream speed bonus. Plus with this core you get Trajector Jump, which will teleport your ship 5 km forward. All of this is at mark 12. What will it be at mark 13 and 14?
    edited August 2016
    The TDI warp cores base sector speed is Trans/Warp 14..20ish with the sector space bonus and around 36ish in Slip stream..

I think you might be a bit mixed up...The Trajector Jump is not a sector space ability and so wont help you get faster in sector space.

The Solanae Warp core does have a sector space component called "Subspace Fold" which is a 5-6ly jump (clicky) in sector space but you give up the increased base sector speed travel found in the Assimilated and TDI Cores..

The mk 12 vs mk 14 versions of the TDI cores Sector speed, Slipstream bonus and Trajector range do not change as those values are fixed.

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

nephitis wrote: »
    I also believe I am one of the few people to forego the [AMP] modifier in favor of other warp cores. This is solely based on my own preference but I think the cost of having [AMP] sometimes outweighs the benefits provided by that modifier.

So..I wanted to point out..That if you Max out all your Reps for an AoY Toon all your Special Rep Set Gear (Iconian,Maco,Dyson..ect) can be purchased @ Mk XIII UR in the Rep system. So..Amp is on every warp core in the Reputations afterwards :P..Sadly..this doesn't translate to the Rep gear your currently using...

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

The TDI warp cores base sector speed is Trans/Warp 14..20ish with the sector space bonus and around 36ish in Slip stream..

I think you might be a bit mixed up...The Trajector Jump is not a sector space ability and so wont help you get faster in sector space.

The Solanae Warp core does have a sector space component called "Subspace Fold" which is a 5-6ly jump (clicky) in sector space but you give up the increased base sector speed travel found in the Assimilated and TDI Cores..

The mk 12 vs mk 14 versions of the TDI cores Sector speed, Slipstream bonus and Trajector range do not change as those values are fixed.

So what is the different between the Subspace Fold and Trajector Jump? I know that while in Slipstream you can use the Subspace Fold with no problems in maintaining speed.
    edited August 2016
    raj011 wrote: »

So what is the different between the Subspace Fold and Trajector Jump? I know that while in Slipstream you can use the Subspace Fold with no problems in maintaining speed.

The difference is When they can be used and the Distance involved in their use..

Trajector Jump =5 kilometers vs Subspace Fold 5-6 Light years (50-60 trillion kilometers).. Subspace fold is for Sector space only. Trajector Jump is for ESD or Mission Maps.

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

edited September 2016

Trajector Jump =5 kilometers vs Subspace Fold 5-6 Light years (50-60 trillion kilometers).. Subspace fold is for Sector space only. Trajector Jump is for ESD or Mission Maps.

I should of released that with the 5 km and the 5-6 light years. Thank you for reminding me. What does Trajector Jump actually do, does it teleport you ship to another location or is it something else?
    Post edited by raj011 on
    edited August 2016

I should of released that with the 5 km and the 5-6 light years. Thank you for reminding. What does Trajector Jump actually do, does it teleport you ship to another location or is it something else?

You teleport your ship forward 5km. Its like traveling at the in game speed of like...500 impulse for 2 seconds

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    It's a great way to break tractor holds too. Personally, I think the Temporal rep core is one of the best cores for an EPG build. That and the mission reward Temporal Core.

As far as set bonuses go, I am on the opposite side of @nephitis in that my builds tend to be reliant on set bonuses. I usually have several sets up on my ship. Even my weapons are chosen for their set bonuses. :smile:
    I also run several sets (complete)

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    What I meant is that the cost of having [AMP] sometimes outweighs other benefits or specifications provided by other non-AMP warp cores. I do admit that the [AMP] modifier can provide some decent extra firepower and that in particular if you can achieve having 3 systems at a power level of 75.

I can get all four systems to reach 75 and if I remember correctly it provides me with a good 100-150 extra damage as displayed in the HUD with the mouse over the weapon icons. Sadly, I find the cost of distributing power that way perhaps a little bit higher than the payoff. Then again, I am a strong advocate for speed and mobility. Getting all four systems above would only require me to redistribute engine power slightly because in combat my total power usually sits at 125, 130, 65, 65. But it so fun to take any ship and fly it at 80-100 impulse speed in combat. Once you start doing it you cannot get enough of it :*. 130 engine power provides some insane speeds and added turn rate.

Besides, my total weapon damage (mouse over HUD) almost 2200 for a beam array in combat already. Once I unlock the Temporal reward for completing 3 specializations I can raise that by another 220ish. I suspect that the Superior Pedal to the Medal will provide 30% damage as opposed to 20% provided by Improved Pedal to the Medal. And this specialization trait applies its % directly on your current weapon damage output after all previous calculations. [AMP] applies its % bonuses directly on your base damage. It works best with a [DMG]x4 weapon modifier.

Anyways, when it comes the deflector, shield and engine they all come from the Terran, Iconian and Temporal Defense reputations. I focused on speed, engine power, drain and also eliminating wasteful skill increases for my particular build. This meant picking a deflector that improves hull and shield skills etc. It also meant picking a Hyper Engine instead of let's say the Temporal combat engine to complete to get the set bonuses. It also meant picking a shield with decent capacity, regeneration and good resistances.

I do admit that some set bonuses are very interesting and very neat. A lot of fun can be had from certain reputation gear. Now, if it is sector speed that the Original Poster wants then I think the best way of doing so is the Borg Assimilated engine. I do believe that this engine is closer to a combat engine so it can be worth to keep that in mind. The difference between a combat and hyper engine at 130 engine power is very significant. You lose about 30+ impulse speed in combat.
    nephitis wrote: »

So..I wanted to point out..That if you Max out all your Reps for an AoY Toon all your Special Rep Set Gear (Iconian,Maco,Dyson..ect) can be purchased @ Mk XIII UR in the Rep system. So..Amp is on every warp core in the Reputations afterwards :P..Sadly..this doesn't translate to the Rep gear your currently using...
    e30ernest wrote: »
    As far as set bonuses go, I am on the opposite side of @nephitis in that my builds tend to be reliant on set bonuses. I usually have several sets up on my ship. Even my weapons are chosen for their set bonuses. :smile:
    I also run several sets (complete)

There's set bonuses and then other set bonuses. What I mean is that some are utter garbage while some may have uses.

I've been running for years with Borg deflector+engine because I found the 2-part bonus heal useful. That said, I'd find a number of much better suited deflectors to my playstyle.
    My more recent chars (delta recruits and tosling) got a choice. And I settled with almost a full Iconian set. Why? Well, the individual pieces actually suit me well (Isn't it lovely to combine "Hot restart" abilities with the drawback of OSS without the need to waste Eng team?) and the 3-part set bonus is a noticeable damage boost (even for teammates, iirc).
    Even more recently, I've gotten new shields for my older chars and given I chose the Delta Unimatrix shield, I automatically got the Trajector warp cores as they're decent by themselves. Only too late I realised the Singularity Trajector warp cores for my Roms were barely better than the random greens and blues I've been using. --> Presented with the very situational Delta 2-part set bonus as well, I threw them out and gotten Terran singularity warp cores instead with a useful CritD boost on singularity overcharge.

One last thing to get back on topic somewhat: If you want a warp core enhancing your sector speed and do not possess the Borg subtranswarp engines, the Temporal Defense Initiative warp core is a good choice as it will have almost identical results to said engines. Then again the engines combined with the Subspace fold of the Solanae warp core will yield even better results, or heck even with the Obelisk warp core (that one boosts all kinds of aspects of Quantum Slipstream).