What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I really want a Playable Borg Tac Cube

Comments

• Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    I REALLY WANT A PLAYABLE BORG TAC CUBE
    And I don't want it. And I don't want anyone else having either.

• Options
    spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    Lots of people have Borg toons. Also the precedent is set for us using them. There was an episode, I think in the Delta story arc, where one is taken over by humanoid species. Not that it matters after the bioships are piloted by anyone. Anything goes.
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    Never happen. dz7ydAq.png​​

Cyptic said the same about endgame old connie... :p
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    You will get one. It'll be a promo ship lol :mrgreen:
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I think we should go out with a massive borg assimilation of the milky way. then we can all fly off on tac cubes.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    I'm sure we'll get a Borg lockbox with Probes and Spheres eventually. I mean, we can fly Undine ships so sure why not, right?
  • Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    Sure, why not. Honestly at this point it would not supprise me to see people flying around in the DeathStar sooner or later.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    A Cooperative Sphere or Probe is the most you could ever hope for. Maybe the weird lopsided Borg ship we see in Descent, since that's apparently a Cooperative ship as well.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    ... the T6 tac cube will come in a R&D or DOFF pack promotion.​​
    You will get one. It'll be a promo ship lol :mrgreen:
    This is what I am thinking. It will be a promo ship.
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    Borg faction, Borg ships, Borg outfits. No reason not to at this point.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    scarling wrote: »

Because there are like eight ship classes total? Do not hold your breath for a bunch of Platonic Solid class Cubes.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    ezicstar#2795 ezicstar Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    They invented an entire fleet for the Borg in Armada, they're actually the easiest race to quickly churn out ships for. Get ready to lust after that sweet Tactical Pilot Rhomboid.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User
    the romulans had THREE canon designs and cryptic still made a playable race of them...borg are even easier - just take any shape in existence and make a ship out of it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    scarling wrote: »

Because there are like eight ship classes total? Do not hold your breath for a bunch of Platonic Solid class Cubes.

Pigs are flying. Get with the program, program.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    the romulans had THREE canon designs and cryptic still made a playable race of them...borg are even easier - just take any shape in existence and make a ship out of it

That's how every Star Trek game did it. Pyramids, Cylinders, Cones what have you. Completely ignoring why Borg used Cubes in the first place, but to be fair Star Trek itself rewrote the Borg to not make sense any more so the designers of those ships can't be blamed.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User
    they used cubes because they like the perfection of simple geometric shapes...hence the spheres, diamond and the flying coffin (which i assume is supposed to be a rectangle analogue)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    they used cubes because they like the perfection of simple geometric shapes...hence the spheres, diamond and the flying coffin (which i assume is supposed to be a rectangle analogue)

This is incorrect. The cube was used because it's efficient and decentralised (hence the sentence the Cube is still operational after 76% of it is rendered inoperable). Every other shape, except maybe the sphere, has weakponts to exploit. Probe = it's longer than wide, you can literally poke a hole in it. Diamond = Big purple "shoot me" in the middle.

A cube or sphere it doesn't matter where you attack because it has no "sides" and exploitable weaknesses. First Contact makes no sense, why does the whole cube pop if you "dig" a deep enough hole in one random spot. It's not supposed to have any central system that could cause a shipwide cascade like that.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Were more likely to get a playable Enterprise J than a Borg tactical cube.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    I vote yes!
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I think as a few people have mentioned a Borg cube would be difficult to fly as it has no discernible front to it. Plus it would just look plain ridiculous flying around the way player ships do, it's just got a very different flying style that would probably be difficult to translate into a control system for players.

As to the actual ship itself, or any Borg ship becoming playable, I would not be supprised now. The T6 Connie was "the big one" as far as the game seemed to be concerned and as we've passed that hurdle I don't think we can realistically rule out anything now.
    We've already got numerous ridiculous ships in the game; undine bioships, Tholian, jem hadar, Na'kuhl, alternate universe...seriously, how much more ridiculous is a Borg ship than all of those.

Something I could agree with though would be a Borg lockbox that contains some sort of Borgified ship, maybe part assimilated like that Sovereign admiralty card we got. So maybe a selection of already ingame ships, one per faction that have their stats significantly altered or improved with Borg tech, also with a serious change to their looks (more than the assimilated gear gives).
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    they used cubes because they like the perfection of simple geometric shapes...hence the spheres, diamond and the flying coffin (which i assume is supposed to be a rectangle analogue)

This is incorrect. The cube was used because it's efficient and decentralised (hence the sentence the Cube is still operational after 76% of it is rendered inoperable). Every other shape, except maybe the sphere, has weakponts to exploit. Probe = it's longer than wide, you can literally poke a hole in it. Diamond = Big purple "shoot me" in the middle.

A cube or sphere it doesn't matter where you attack because it has no "sides" and exploitable weaknesses. First Contact makes no sense, why does the whole cube pop if you "dig" a deep enough hole in one random spot. It's not supposed to have any central system that could cause a shipwide cascade like that.​​
    I think it does make sense - the cube was damaged, and that means it was no longer a perfect cube with optimized redundancies and all. It now actually had weak spots. But these were normally unusable because they would not be apparant to anyone not intimately familar with the Cube architecture. But of the course, the Hive Mind is intimately familar with it, so it knew where its weak spots lied and tried to repair or protect them and Picard's brief hive mind contact gave him this information.

Of course, that it was just one spot and not something more complex I blame on the needs of movie-making.

I think the Sphere is indeed the other optimal configuration, all the other shapes make less sense. I tend to think that for humanoid needs, a cube is more practical - because you cannot really use rounded areas as effectively. You can split a cube in identical mini-cubes which means you're very flexible in organizing things.

I could see that the Borg would basicaly use mini-cubes as basic unit, and they "grow" these mini-cubes by adding more mini-cubes. (Kinda like the Armada Fusion Cube, but with much smaller base ships.) They would overall strive to get a cubic form again, but there could be more irregular forms in between, like a rectangular shape, or even a cube sprouting some mini-cubes in some locations.

I figure they don't have ship building factories or space yards - they just split off a small cube somewhere, and it assimilates the base materials and constructs new sections.

The ship that Hugh originally crashed with when the Enterprise captured it seemed still rectangular and could have feasible been the smallest unit size for a cube.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    I figure they don't have ship building factories or space yards - they just split off a small cube somewhere, and it assimilates the base materials and constructs new sections.
    Ah. Like the Romulan Republic Flotilla.
  • Options
    I think it does make sense - the cube was damaged, and that means it was no longer a perfect cube with optimized redundancies and all. It now actually had weak spots. But these were normally unusable because they would not be apparant to anyone not intimately familar with the Cube architecture. But of the course, the Hive Mind is intimately familar with it, so it knew where its weak spots lied and tried to repair or protect them and Picard's brief hive mind contact gave him this information.

Of course, that it was just one spot and not something more complex I blame on the needs of movie-making.

I think the Sphere is indeed the other optimal configuration, all the other shapes make less sense. I tend to think that for humanoid needs, a cube is more practical - because you cannot really use rounded areas as effectively. You can split a cube in identical mini-cubes which means you're very flexible in organizing things.

I could see that the Borg would basicaly use mini-cubes as basic unit, and they "grow" these mini-cubes by adding more mini-cubes. (Kinda like the Armada Fusion Cube, but with much smaller base ships.) They would overall strive to get a cubic form again, but there could be more irregular forms in between, like a rectangular shape, or even a cube sprouting some mini-cubes in some locations.

The ship that Hugh originally crashed with when the Enterprise captured it seemed still rectangular and could have feasible been the smallest unit size for a cube.

Indeed, that is exactly how I always pictured the Borg (TNG) in my headcanon. It operates like a organism and as such is less of a opponent then more of a force of nature. Cubes would either split or construct new cubes in space, like a cell going through mitosis and then they go off looking for more technology to assimilate. Having small cubes that grow makes sense, but is of course unattractive for cinematic purposes.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    not really a fan of borg ships mainly due to the whole shapes thing it messes with the awareness of people if they can't tell the fore from the aft of a ship.
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Obligatory.

pXDjsmT.jpg

8jogwQq.jpg​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    God no.. would just stop playing this game if I started seeing people flying around in Borg ships. Liberated borg characters are as far as it should ever go
  • Options
    iconians wrote: »
    Obligatory.

pXDjsmT.jpg

8jogwQq.jpg

pig-2.gifpig-35.gif

You should add that to the wiki... pig-47.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    Obligatory.

pXDjsmT.jpg

8jogwQq.jpg

pig-2.gifpig-35.gif

You should add that to the wiki... pig-47.gif

It'd probably be an improvement of quality in the state the STO wiki exists in right now.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg