test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My views on the Engineering Captain Power Disparity (in space)

happyblobfishhappyblobfish Member Posts: 46 Arc User
It has come to my attention that engineering captain abilities in space are extremely lackluster when compared to their science and tactical counterparts. Toward the endgame, being an engineer can be especially redundant due to the fact that all their captain abilities can be replicated by a sci or tac by some way, shape, or fashion.

When I first started STO, I chose the engineering class because I wanted a class that could both do decent damage and survive decently well. While that is mostly true about the engineer, they will simply get overshadowed by tacs and scis later on due to the abundance of abilities players will unlock that mimic nearly all of the engineering captain abilities including specialization tree abilities, starship traits, and consoles.

For example, take Miracle Worker, the engineering ‘OH SH*T!’ button. This ability can be directly replicated by other careers through Continuity, Regenerative Integrity Field (The Samsar Console), Invincible (the Zahl Starship trait), and Desperate Repairs (the Guardian starship trait). Even Rally Point Marker, Hazard Emitters 3, and Engineering Team 3 are able to outheal it. You can tell something is wrong when even a Lt. Cmdr boff ability can outperform a captain ability. Miracle worker is supposed to be a ‘miracle’ ability, but right now there is nothing miraculous about it at all. The other engineer heal ability, Rotate Shield Frequency, is just straight out useless; as of its current state it does virtually nothing in space combat.

Engineers are also supposed to be the masters of subsystem power level control. However, there is little use for these abilities when other classes are able to maintain the max 125 subsystem power for most of the duration of queues even without them. Plasmonic leech and Supremacy directly mimic the power boost from EPS Power Transfer while the Marion Doff along with the KCB+AM set allow for similar if not greater power drain resistance granted from Nadion Inversion.

This is what I think should be done to rebalance engineers. Feel free to discuss about your opinion on these ideas

Miracle Worker
: A slightly larger heal, +DRR rating, and +x to engineering skills for 30 seconds or +x% to energy damage (make it a miracle!)

Rotate Shield Frequency
: I’m not sure about this one, though a larger heal would be a decent start.

EPS Power Transfer
: Raise the maximum subsystem power level caps by +10 for the duration of the ability

Nadion Inversion
: This is fine as it is imho.

All three classes were designed so that they could excel at certain roles and have their own ways of buffing their performance within combat: tacs through direct damage buffs, scis through debuffs and support abilities, and engineers through power manipulation and heals. However, now, tacs and scis are able to fill the roles engineers are supposed to be the best at, leaving engineers unable to truly shine at any role at all (except for perhaps pure healing, which isn’t really needed in the current game). Look at tanking for example. Engineers are supposed to be the ‘gold standard’ of tanking in STO. Now however, not only can tacs and scis out dps engineers due leading to more threat but they are also able to heal just as well thanks to the abundance of heals available. While engineers can still kick TRIBBLE, scis can tacs can simply do it better and with more efficiency. The increasing powercreep in this game has made it so that engineers do not fit into the meta at all and I, along with many others, feel like their powers need a buff so that they can once again be competent in end-game play.

Thanks for reading and here are the links to the posts that my friend Jayiie (@alcaatraz) made on reddit regarding this matter:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4vw8lx/the_captain_power_disparity_followup/
https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4u8nuo/on_the_captain_power_disparity/
Post edited by happyblobfish on

Comments

• Options
    geekguy79geekguy79 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    I completely agree on some points. I am an engineer, all my toons are engineers, because I just like the class, and while i do near 100k dps on my main engineer, most of the captain class abilities are a joke. Miracle worker is probly one of my weakest heal abilities, vastly outperformed by continuity and the samsar console, it needs a serious buff.
  • Options
    birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    Engineer is defiantly my favorite class. I do agree about miracle worker should be stronger but it doesnt take up a console slot and the way i designed my ship i dont even use leech anymore. I can maintain full power accross the board between OSS3, WC doff and engi abilites.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    OP, it's true that Engineers are gimped in space at Level 60. Besides eliminating classes/professions and turning them into spec trees, an Engineer revamp would be very welcome from my point of view.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    considering a shield frequency is what keeps an enemy torpedo or energy weapon from going right through them, if the engine can support it, i'd add a hefty anti-shield penetration buff to RSF​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    I think there needs to be another Engineering ability for Ensign. Like for Q-Mas how about Shield Freeze Formation: Depending on which rank you choose your shields will be hardend at a percentage for about 25 seconds. with a 45 second cooldown with +1% Shield Cap chances as well. would be cool with the breen stuff.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    Id like to see an Engineer spac ability that super hull buffed you and 2 starships you were within 5 km of. Your ship would glow green, and thered be a beam rope coming from your ship to two nearby ships and you kept them hull buffed as you fly in formation with them. Some sort of hull plating synergy, where the hull heal is stronger and lasts longer if 3 ships are roped together instead of 2. Make it the strongest longest hull heal buff in the game, and if a ship sees two ships hooked up, he knows if he gets there within 15 seconds, he can make the 15 sec hull heal last 30 seconds.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    I see I need to be the dissenting opinion here. With a few slotted traits Miracle worker can repop right after use just by you getting hit again. It repairs hull and shields, while not affecting the cool downs of your boff abilities. And all the items you say can be used to mimic it? Can be used by the engineer as well and with Miracle worker. So you would have even more heals.
    While I generally prefer my Science captains I do run all three and my first was an engineer. And during STF's miracle worker has let me fly into the thick of enemy formations. Unload on them and come out the other side alive. (Most of the time.) The trick is it isn't as flashy as photonic fleet.
    Now the ground effect to call in orbital strikes. . . Can the NPC's not instantly know about those and run out of the area? It makes it a redundant ability.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    Engineer toons do not have any means to increase running speed in combat or without ice boots.

Sci and Tac both have very good speed increase modules

Some how Engineer toons have no module to expose targets, maybe one but it isnt on the desription
    Mzd8i1c.gif
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    OP, it's true that Engineers are gimped in space at Level 60. Besides eliminating classes/professions and turning them into spec trees, an Engineer revamp would be very welcome from my point of view.
    IMO they were already gimped way before that.

Heck, I remember times when the best PvP healer was a guy flying Cruisers with a Science Captain. That is really long ago, though, it predates a ton of the power creep and special ability consoles, traits and sets we got since then, but even at that point an Engineering Healer wasn't the best pick, one has to wonder if there isn't something wrong.
    I see I need to be the dissenting opinion here. With a few slotted traits Miracle worker can repop right after use just by you getting hit again. It repairs hull and shields, while not affecting the cool downs of your boff abilities. And all the items you say can be used to mimic it? Can be used by the engineer as well and with Miracle worker. So you would have even more heals.
    But you don't even need that many heals, that's at least one problem, and no matter how you shuffle things around, you can't really get more (relevant) damage boosts by slotting more non-healing abilities.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I can definitely see the angle from which you're looking at it. However, the problem with miracle worker right now is it is very, very weak. Even with the trait 'Grace Under Fire' you're still looking at at most around 35% of hull restored when in space combat. In contrast, abilities such as Continuity and the Samsar console just simply vastly outperform it. For example, in my most recent ISA parse, 3 abilities surpassed miracle worker in terms of healing:Regenerative integrity field (a console), Desperate Repairs (a starship trait), and Ablative Shell (a space trait). I think that Captain abilities should be more effective than traits and consoles that replicate those abilities, not vice versa. The problem is that while this applies to other careers, it does not apply to engineers due to the number of healing abilities that have been implemented in the game. For example, the Adaptive Emergency Systems console directly mimics the functionality of the Tactical Captain ability Go Down Fighting. If Miracle Worker is looked at the same way, then it should be stronger than Regenerative Integrity Field along with the other abilities that I have mentioned. I'm proposing for miracle worker to be a more powerful heal so that engineers are able to have more flexibility in their console, boff, and specialization tree layouts.
    And during STF's miracle worker has let me fly into the thick of enemy formations. Unload on them and come out the other side alive. (Most of the time.)

Tacs and scis are able to do that to the same degree of effectiveness or even better thanks to the number of heal over time abilities that stack with damage (something an engineer is extremely lacking of). They are also able to blow up the mob faster because they can output much more damage. If there is one thing an engineer lacks, it's direct damage buffs as currently, engineers do not have any abilities that buff damage (except for perhaps EPS Power Transfer, but that ability is extremely redundant as other classes are able to maintain maximum power levels too now).
    Now the ground effect to call in orbital strikes. . . Can the NPC's not instantly know about those and run out of the area? It makes it a redundant ability.

I feel that engineers are fine on the ground :P
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    [deleted]
  • Options
    theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    Hmm... Some good points have been raised here, both pro and con. I'm primarily tac and haven't used an eng or sci toon in a while, but I do love some of the eng abilities. Miracle Worker has saved my sorry behind in space more times than I can count. haha
  • Options
    kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    First off, as some have commented on Ground...we are fine on the ground. My main is an Engineer and I've played about everything on the ground, including PVP and it's fine as is. Get some decent Turrets and mines to drop if you are struggling. Get a whole away team of Engineers with mines and turrets and witness easy mode as you mow everything down with ease.

As for Space, I agree with the OP. I've got Tac and Science officers and I see what he is talking about. Every time I hit Miracle Worker and receive that oh so very small heal to hull and shields, I wonder why it's such an important part of our build...like that's all I can give my ship as an Engineering Captain? The same goes for RSF, how often are we in combat and shields at a level that it even matters? It's always too little and too late. And EPSPT...It's a great skill and I loved it, until everyone was able to get the same effect for a few mil EC. Heck, I even run PL and find myself running so high on power levels and I don't even bother with EPSPT and keeping it on cooldown as it's just wasted.

The bigger problem is that Engineers where intended to be the tanks of the game in space and there is just simply so very little need for that with so many doing DPS tanking. To make engineering effective, they have to give us a reason to exist as engineers and to use those skills for what they were intended, but that would mean shifting the game away from being all about DPS and that's a shift to the entire playerbase, which is probably a bit much to ask.
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Engineers really need a boost in this game, especially in space. Increasing hull healing for Miracle Worker and Rotate Shields would be a start. Adding a small resistance to shield damage when using Rotate Shields would also be something I think Devs should consider.

An idea I would really like to see is a new Trait for Engineers ONLY that allows them to mount multiple Omni-Beams on their ships. An Engineer could have up to 8 Omni-Beams on a Cruiser, allowing the Engineers to have a better DPS advantage than what they had before, especially if they are tanking.

I would also add another Trait that for Engineers ONLY that would allow any mounted torp to have a 180-arc range, similar to the Wide-Angle Torp. Again, this would help Engineers get higher DPS in their Cruisers.

Just a couple ideas I really think Engineers could use at this point in the game.

18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I've never been a big fan of the "Space Healer" paradigm. Engineers have too few offensive options (EWP, Aceton Beam) aside from boosting power.

I feel like the whole "Miracle Worker" aspect of the class is under-represented in space. It's not just about bringing systems back online, supercharging system power, and repairing stuff that's broken. It's also kludging together system modifications to make the systems do things they don't ordinarily do. I feel that piece of it, where the Chief Engineer (a la Geordi LaForge) invents a solution on the fly, is not well-represented.

I think there's a whole range of possible buffs and modifiers that are missing from the engineer's repertoire, that wouldn't necessarily duplicate a skill from one of the other classes (but might be similar to some other effect that already exists in the game).

(The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    What I'd like to see for engineers is a full look at all the abilities. MW should be a huge heal with some DR for shields and hull and resistance and/or immunity to offline subsystems. RSF should be a direct counter for shield penetration with a decent shield heal. Nadion inversion should have more uptime. And, EPS should be the engineers version of APA. Look at APA. It gives a turn boost, a damage boost and, a crith/d boost. To me, if EPS was to be on par, it should raise power levels, raise caps on all subs and, provide some form of % boost to damage or turn rate or both.

I also think either NI or EPS should be a direct counter to abilities like the EMP probe. After all, aren't engineers supposed to be the guys you call when you want your ship to not be vulnerable to a certain attack? I'd rather an engineer captain be good at countering an enemy rather than being a space healer.
  • Options
    waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Rotate Shield Frequency should add a immunity to Tractor Beams ie Borg. Miracle Worker should be a set % of hull healed so it scales with level.
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • Options
    keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    My opinion on this is simple the game started off trying to implement the standard holy Trinity system (Tank,Heal,DPS classes) and then shortly after release the dev's shifted and tailored the content around pure damage numbers adding a power creep to the game so the only class that mattered from then on was DPS kill the NPC before they kill you.

The best solution is to remove classes and have everyone start off neutral and have a skill/career spec tree that lets you train in the science,engineer,tactical fields and unlock the captain skills, but that being said everyone would just spec tactical anyway as again the game is all about the DPS now.

I was watching a youtube video the other day of people clearing task forces in 2/4 seconds this just shows how broken end game content is.
    Post edited by kelador on
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Nearly impossible to out-DPS an equivalent investment in a TAC officer, but my favorite toons are ENGs. If you fly them as engineers, their unique attributes can make up for the lack of raw damage.

• Options

hanover2 wrote: »
    Nearly impossible to out-DPS an equivalent investment in a TAC officer, but my favorite toons are ENGs. If you fly them as engineers, their unique attributes can make up for the lack of raw damage.

While it's true that an engineer can't out dps a tactical (and they're not meant to), the problem here is that engineers don't have any 'unique attributes'. Anything an engineer can do can easily be done by a tac or a sci, if not better because while the ideas behind the engineering powers are great, they're simply too weak in combat. Tacs and scis don't need miracle worker or rotate shield frequency as they can use Regenerative Integrity Field (which scales with damage), Desperate Repairs, or Continuity. All three of those are great heals that surpass Miracle Worker in terms of effectiveness. However, any engineer who wants to tank semi-advanced content would have to run RIF or something similar to it too because miracle worker simply cannot heal enough to sustain him. While Grace Under Fire helps a little bit, that also gimps engineers out of a space trait that could be used to more effective purposes and even then, it's extremely underwhelming. Also, engineers are also supposed to bring great power levels to a starship, but non-engineering captains can easily maintain very high subsystem power levels too through Plasmonic Leech and Supremacy while nadion inversion can be replicated through cruiser commands, greedy emitters, Marion+DEM, and the kinetic cutting beam+assimilated module set. Engineers need something that can distinguish them from others because right now, their abilities are just weaker versions of already existing consoles, starship traits, doff combos, and specialization tree abilities.

• Options
    bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    I agree with the OP that eng. is the weakest or most neglected of the three. I also think the last great thing that has happened to tactical was kemocite, and that was over a year ago. As far as boff powers go, if you're using a cannon build, tac is incredibly weak in the ENSIGN boff slot. Feel free to disagree.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    The thing is, 'Healing in Space' is cute and all, but it can't beat Attack Pattern Alpha and/or Tactical Initiative (and all Traits and such to even shorten the duration of those abilities, so as to have those up nearly 100%). Those are ridiculously OP. *That* is what needs to change first; buffing RSP and such a bit is kinda pointless, next to those.

Secondly, us Engineers deserve an offensive ability, and not just heals. Something like an innate Structural Integrity Collapse, or something otherwise typically Engineery which debuffs hull.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    So the consensus here is that the class that was set up to sort of fit the Tank role the best, isn't as good as Science as support, or tactical as DPS?

Thanks for the update!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    I know this is focused for space, but how about for fabrications, which are beamed in anyway, just have the engineer toss a "transporter beacon" at their feet for the turret/generator/mortar to beam to instead of coming to a complete stop for 5 seconds. Kinda like a a grenade.​​
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    So the consensus here is that the class that was set up to sort of fit the Tank role the best, isn't as good as Science as support, or tactical as DPS?

Thanks for the update!

No, I think you misunderstood. The point that I was trying to make is actually the exact opposite; right now, both tacs and scis can tank better than an engineer can, leaving engineers to have no actual role left in the game. The consensus here is that engineering captain abilities are extremely redundant in space and too weak at endgame levels.
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User

Thanks for the update!

well, since Engineering Team 3 out heals Miracle Worker and has a way shorter cool down, anyone can fit the tank roll better than an Engineer. The problem is when powers were scaled to level 60, captain powers didn't scale that much. That's no biggie for science and tactical captains since their powers are unique and still potent but for MW and RSF, normal boff powers out perform them. Also EPS Power Transfer is still nice but it's pretty easy for a lot of people to fill their power bars.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    The engineer used to excel in power and healing, but those items have been given to the masses with the leech and RIF.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Since I don't have some of those "Special ship consoles". I can tell a difference in using my Engineering vs the Tac and Sci.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    farmallm wrote: »
    Since I don't have some of those "Special ship consoles". I can tell a difference in using my Engineering vs the Tac and Sci.

The only item that I mentioned that might not be available to everyone is the Samsar Console. Even for those who don't have the console, the Temporal spec tree ability (Continuity), Desperate Repairs, Ablative Shell, and even boff abilities such as Engineering Team 3, Rally Point Marker, and Rotate Shield Polarity have made Miracle Worker and Rotate Shield Frequency just two more typical heals with no unique or defining high end characteristics. As for maintaining full power levels, Plasmonic Leech is hardly a 'special' console. For Fed players it's only around 10 mil on the exchange and it's absolutely essential in nearly all energy weapon builds anyway. Leech, OSS, KCB+AM combo, the Marion doff, the Emergency Power abilities, and even cruiser commands make EPS Power Transfer and Nadion Inversion extremely redundant. Due to the vast number of hull healing and power boosting abilities in the game that overshadow and replace engineering captain abilities, engineers are no longer 'unique' in what they can do. However, tacs and scis remain unique in their powers; for example while there are a number of damage boosting abilities in the game, none even come close to the magnitude of Attack Pattern Alpha.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User

Thanks for the update!

No, I think you misunderstood. The point that I was trying to make is actually the exact opposite; right now, both tacs and scis can tank better than an engineer can, leaving engineers to have no actual role left in the game. The consensus here is that engineering captain abilities are extremely redundant in space and too weak at endgame levels.

I disagree with your assessment of who can tank best. My main is an ENG and I run a tank setup. Neither my Science character nor my Tactical characters can get the same level of aggro and take the same level of punishment as my ENG. Same player, using a lot of the same ships, a lot of the same consoles and a lot of the same traits. But the ENG gets aggro easier, and takes punishment/absorbs damage better.

I think ENG, in terms of what the supposed "role" is, has kept up just fine. What the ongoing problem still happens to be, is that the other two professions can build for damage easier, and can take damage well enough that the difference doesn't have as large an impact. Or in other words, yeah, my ENG tank can tank better, but there just aren't enough maps where that makes a difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]