test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Look what I found over on the DCUO forums...

Found this video over at the DCUO forums. If you remember Jack Emmert (The guy who created this game) then you may or may not find this funny.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wvoEL8xKqOM

Comments

• Options
    tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Nailed it.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    most abused video clip ever
  • Options
    necreliosis#4763 necreliosis Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot indeed :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    illegal gambling boxes are what they are. Lock Boxes are illegal under all north american and european gambling laws. Its a grey area in a video game but in a year or two they will not be able to have them in this game
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    illegal gambling boxes are what they are. Lock Boxes are illegal under all north american and european gambling laws. Its a grey area in a video game but in a year or two they will not be able to have them in this game

The presence of Lobi and being guaranteed a win makes it legal. You are paying $1.25 for 4 Lobi and anything extra is just a bonus. With gambling, it is a matter of winning or losing without any consolation prize for losing. If the gambling laws are changed, then Cryptic will adopt something similar to SWTOR's lockboxes. Opening one of their crates guarantees four different items.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    STO's lockboxes are no different than TF2's crates. yea you pay for a key to open it, but you always get something usable out of it. What that item happens to be is up to the Random Number Gods. Doesn't matter if I happen to uncrate a Strange Sydney Sleeper or a hat. It is still a usable item. STO's lockboxes just happen to have hot ticket items with low odds in the form of playable ships.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Collectible card game packs are legal. Sports card packs are legal. Blind buy toy packs are legal. Lock boxes are legal.

All involve gambling on getting the best shiny that you really want, all give you something else instead.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Lol
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    navar#3536 navar Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    jack emert was visionary and legendary and one day hopefully he will be back working with the cryptic and finishing the games at perfect worlds

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't he sell City of Heroes to NCSoft, Champions Online, Star Trek Online and Neverwinter to Atari in which sold it to Perfect World? That is four games that Jack created and then sold...unless I am mistaken. Jack being on the Dev team may be a decent idea, however...him owning the games is not.

Not to mention, when he created Star Trek Online, he lead people to believe at a Comic Con that Star Trek would be an open environment game, much like Star Wars Galaxies or even better...EvE Online. A lot of players were let down that this game was not a Sandbox game and that they had to zone to new maps every time they turned around. People early on...before it went Free to Play, left this game in droves and the game suffered for it...which is probably the reason why it went Free to Play.

I was here since Beta...however, my memory has faded a bit since those days. However, I am to the best of my knowledge, being very accurate with you.

Sorry, I do not share your enthusiasm for Jack Emmert. I would love for him to be on the team, but would never want him to have any decisions made outside of game development.

• Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Really wish this game was more sandbox.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    jack emert was visionary and legendary and one day hopefully he will be back working with the cryptic and finishing the games at perfect worlds

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't he sell City of Heroes to NCSoft, Champions Online, Star Trek Online and Neverwinter to Atari in which sold it to Perfect World? That is four games that Jack created and then sold...unless I am mistaken. Jack being on the Dev team may be a decent idea, however...him owning the games is not.

Not to mention, when he created Star Trek Online, he lead people to believe at a Comic Con that Star Trek would be an open environment game, much like Star Wars Galaxies or even better...EvE Online. A lot of players were let down that this game was not a Sandbox game and that they had to zone to new maps every time they turned around. People early on...before it went Free to Play, left this game in droves and the game suffered for it...which is probably the reason why it went Free to Play.

If I recall correctly, Atari was brought on to provide monetary support for developing STO and no one else wanted to help Cryptic develop the game. Neverwinter was after Perfect World took over so it is likely that Perfect World only received concept art for Neverwinter. NCSoft partially owned City of Heroes until Emmert decided to start creating City of Heroes 2.0 or as it is now known as Champions Online. I think Champions Online originally started as Marvel Universe Online until Marvel backed out.

Lots of MMOs never end up as how they were originally advertised. An extreme example is Tabula Rasa. Compare its E3 2004 gameplay video to its E3 2005 gameplay video. They are two completely different games with the only resemblance being science fiction MMOs. The E3 2005 gameplay video is what made it to the launch.
  • Options
    tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Atari bought Cryptic, as it was already developed and released by that time. Neverwinter development had already begun at the time of the PW sale.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.