test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we disable the engine visual sound?

Just what the title says. If anyone has found a way to do so (which I doubt), that'd be awesome. If not, can one the devs make this happen, is this possible? I think it's neat that someone would think to offer up a different sound and all, but the noise just gives me a headache.
edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ioneonioneon Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    I think if you're literally seeing sounds, then the problem might not be the game...
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    ioneon wrote: »
    I think if you're literally seeing sounds, then the problem might not be the game...

*chuckles*

I believe he's trying to say that certain engines (or certain ships, like the Na'kuhl) have various sounds in addition to their visual effects.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    You could turn the volume of the Sound FX to where they don't happen...
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User

[Console - Engineering - Synesthesia Warpfuel Additives [+SecSpd]]
    "Man, what if we, y'know, like, instead of antihydrogen, we used anti-acid!?!"
    "Antacids?"
    "No. anti. acid. aLSD."
    "This is why everyone plays Tac instead of Sci."
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Visual sounds, lmao!

Does each color make a different scream?
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Visual sounds, lmao!

Does each color make a different scream?

In space, everyone can hear you scream....
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    It's too bright, err, loud, err... in here!
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    ioneonioneon Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    This thread is amusing.

Thanks for clarifying that for me though dalolorn, I was very confused.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    What is a visual sound

9wkLmgE.gif
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    ryghanryghan Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Cool...Synesthesia in action! :)
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    Hey, thanks for being a bunch of TRIBBLE. I'm certain were the tables turned, this is exactly how you'd like to be treated.

What I meant by visual is that when you click "enable visuals" on engines such as the breen, Jem'hadar, borg, etc. engines, there tends to be an additional sound that comes with it and seems to be standard amongst most of the engine visuals. It gives me a headache, but the engine visuals look cool. I was hoping to get a dev to help me have the best of both worlds.

Thanks again for acting like TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    teknesia wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for being a bunch of ****. I'm certain were the tables turned, this is exactly how you'd like to be treated.

What I meant by visual is that when you click "enable visuals" on engines such as the breen, Jem'hadar, borg, etc. engines, there tends to be an additional sound that comes with it and seems to be standard amongst most of the engine visuals. It gives me a headache, but the engine visuals look cool. I was hoping to get a dev to help me have the best of both worlds.

Thanks again for acting like ****.

It isn't everyone else's fault that you apparently paid zero attention in school and have no idea how to read and write. If you're angry, you're angry at yourself for being an idiot.
    Post edited by vampeiyre on
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    vampeiyre wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for being a bunch of ****. I'm certain were the tables turned, this is exactly how you'd like to be treated.

It isn't everyone else's fault you that youthat you that you? What is that supposed to mean? Perhaps, you meant simply [that you] instead apparently paid zero attention in school[ , ] and have no idea how to read andI would have gone with [or] if only to eliminate the redundancy of "and" in this case write. If you're angry, [then]you're angry at yourself for being an idiot.

Umm... The engine visual sound was the title I believe. The sound that comes with the engine visual being enabled. I could have been more clear, but my writing wasn't off. You're grammar is off though if you want to go on that sort of tirade.

I came home after a TRIBBLE day at work to read this. Thanks! And again, were the tables turned, would you really want to be treated so poorly? If so, then I believe you'd be the one who hates yourself, not I.

Also, I fixed it for you. You're welcome if it's appreciated, but I assume that it's not. However, by calling me an idiot and attacking my academic skills, you sort of opened yourself up to that sort of critique.
    Post edited by teknesia on
  • Options
    I know what you mean. With my hearing, I can hear a very high pitching tone, almost like a electric whine from the Borg Impulse Engine's when they are at stand still. It's a high frequency, but not enough to affect me, has to be way higher. But it's high enough to affect you.

Only things you can do really is shut off the FX sounds or click "Disable visuals". Another possibility is to turn down the FX sounds so the higher whine isn't so abrupt. Sorry, it's the only things I can offer.

The Dev's haven't and most likely won't do anything about it. Your not the first to post about this, someone did a few years ago and nothing was ever said.

Hope the headache doesn't hang around for long. dino3-4.gif​​

Thanks for the response. I just turned them off. It's a shame, because I really like the breen engines, but I just can't handle the noise.
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User

It isn't everyone else's fault you that you[that you that you? What is that supposed to mean? Perhaps, you meant simply [that you] instead apparently paid zero attention in school[ , ] and have no idea how to read andI would have gone with [or] if only to eliminate the redundancy of "and" in this case write. If you're angry, [then]you're angry at yourself for being an idiot.

Umm... The engine visual sound was the title I believe. The sound that comes with the engine visual being enabled. I could have been more clear, but my writing wasn't off. You're grammar is off though if you want to go on that sort of tirade.

I came home after a **** day at work to read this. Thanks! And again, were the tables turned, would you really want to be treated so poorly? If so, then I believe you'd be the one who hates yourself, not I.

Also, I fixed it for you. You're welcome if it's appreciated, but I assume that it's not. However, by calling me an idiot and attacking my academic skills, you sort of opened yourself up to that sort of critique.

Engine visual sounds makes no sense. The mockery you received from all parties in this thread was justified. Remedy either your laziness in saying what you mean to, or learn to read and write.

Your "corrections" are not correct. By all means, dig your whole deeper.

"I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    edited August 2016

It isn't everyone else's fault you that you[that you that you? What is that supposed to mean? Perhaps, you meant simply [that you] instead apparently paid zero attention in school[ , ] and have no idea how to read andI would have gone with [or] if only to eliminate the redundancy of "and" in this case write. If you're angry, [then]you're angry at yourself for being an idiot.

I came home after a **** day at work to read this. Thanks! And again, were the tables turned, would you really want to be treated so poorly? If so, then I believe you'd be the one who hates yourself, not I.

Engine visual sounds makes no sense. The mockery you received from all parties except the ones who didn't mock him, thank you very much in this thread was unjustified (although understandable - which can also be said for teknesia's reaction). Remedy either your laziness in saying what you mean to, or learn to read and write.

Not all of his corrections were necessary, but I'd say they were fairly correct. Also, I do believe you want him to dig a hole, as in 'hole in the ground' rather than a whole. (How one would 'dig a whole' is beyond me, at any rate. :tongue:)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »

*chuckles*

I believe he's trying to say that certain engines (or certain ships, like the Na'kuhl) have various sounds in addition to their visual effects.

No, I think he's saying he wants to suppress the sound of chosen engine in the visuals tab. But that brings up an interesting matter (not in game rght now): what happens if you try to override the Na'kuhl engine sound by placing another engine in the visuals tab?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    meimeitoo wrote: »

*chuckles*

No, I think he's saying he wants to suppress the sound of chosen engine in the visuals tab. But that brings up an interesting matter (not in game rght now): what happens if you try to override the Na'kuhl engine sound by placing another engine in the visuals tab?!

Well, I wasn't really focusing on what he was asking about (that part was self-evident, after all) and instead tried to clarify the 'visual sounds' part. That being said, I wasn't sure if the engine sounds were a thing on anything other than the unmodified Na'kuhl ships, because I'd heard some complaints about that one in the art subforum or somewhere.

• Options

Engine visual sounds makes no sense. The mockery you received from all parties except the ones who didn't mock him, thank you very much in this thread was unjustified (although understandable - which can also be said for teknesia's reaction). Remedy either your laziness in saying what you mean to, or learn to read and write.

Not all of his corrections were necessary, but I'd say they were fairly correct. Also, I do believe you want him to dig a hole, as in 'hole in the ground' rather than a whole. (How one would 'dig a whole' is beyond me, at any rate. :tongue:)

Fair points. At first, I didn't want to look back into this thread. I didn't want to feel more butt hurt over nothing. But... turned out to be a nice laugh.

And - I get that I could have been more clear. That is my bad. On the other hand, it was a minor request that anyone who had dealt with ship visuals would understand and was something that would clearly enhance my enjoyment of the game a little that I wanted to have a bit of discussion around. Instead, I come home from a TRIBBLE day of work with a migraine and there's a whole thread like this. Perhaps I should have a thicker skin. Fair enough. But.. I know how I want to try and treat other folks' posts. It seems like one thing to go and make a little joke about the title and stuff. I get that. I just think I would have been a bit nicer about it instead of completely reading over the person's basic argument or concern and disrespecting the entire affair.*

*not that everyone in this thread did that
  • Options
    kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    Hate to break it to you...as it was really the job of parents/guardians, but in this world...we as an individual really aren't all that important and the collective group seldom does anything to the benefit of the one.

To ask devs to create a way to disable the sound for certain specific engine visuals because it gives one headaches is a sign of the belief in ones self-importance. Such self-importance will always lead to berating on an internet forum...unless you happen to be legitimately self-important. Your last name doesn't happen to be Shatner does it?

If that is the case, a post on the forums may not be the way to approach this, rather a quick call to the dev on his mobile phone would be more appropriate.

Oh and speaking of the title. "Can we have a way to disable sounds associated with unique engine visuals?" would have been one of a number of better ways to articulate your desires. Additionally, this is the General Discussion forums. There is a more appropriate forum for requests that would be far less likely to get flakk for being what this post was to become.

I suggest you reboot over in that forum.
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

*chuckles*

Well, I wasn't really focusing on what he was asking about (that part was self-evident, after all) and instead tried to clarify the 'visual sounds' part. That being said, I wasn't sure if the engine sounds were a thing on anything other than the unmodified Na'kuhl ships, because I'd heard some complaints about that one in the art subforum or somewhere.

I liked that Na'kuhl sound, at first; but yeah, it gets tiresome soon. Maybe they just need to tone down the volume a bit?!

Not many engines make real sound, I think (at least never so much that it has bothered me). The Breen super-cooled engines do too, I think.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @kjfett There's nothing wrong about politely asking for stuff (and while it could probably have been more polite - stuff usually can - it's a far cry from being impolite), so long as you accept the possibility that you won't get it. Obviously I can't speak for the devs, but I'd rather have a million requests and suggestions to review and either reject or implement at my leisure than be stuck blindly marching on with little more than hunches to guide my work.

Edit:

*chuckles*

I liked that Na'kuhl sound, at first; but yeah, it gets tiresome soon. Maybe they just need to tone down the volume a bit?!

Not many engines make real sound, I think (at least never so much that it has bothered me). The Breen super-cooled engines do too, I think.

Well, I know the MACO engine's Asynchronous Warp Field buff will be quite noisy if you trigger it. I've never noticed an engine that simply made noise without any triggers, but then I probably haven't been listening carefully enough.

• Options
    @kjfett There's nothing wrong about politely asking for stuff (and while it could probably have been more polite - stuff usually can - it's a far cry from being impolite), so long as you accept the possibility that you won't get it. Obviously I can't speak for the devs, but I'd rather have a million requests and suggestions to review and either reject or implement at my leisure than be stuck blindly marching on with little more than hunches to guide my work.

Edit:

*chuckles*

Well, I know the MACO engine's Asynchronous Warp Field buff will be quite noisy if you trigger it. I've never noticed an engine that simply made noise without any triggers, but then I probably haven't been listening carefully enough.

*shrugs* maybe it's just me then. But yeah, I don't actually know that the devs will fix this or add an option. I just figured there's no harm in asking. You never know really. It could be a painful fix that they don't have the resources for or it could be an easy fix that takes minimal effort. It's not the end of the world one way or the other, but if I don't speak up for what I think can or can't be improved in this game then how are the developers going to know what at least this customer wants?
  • Options
    Exactly. More constructive feedback is always good, both for for-profit and non-profit organizations alike.

• Options
    kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    Exactly. More constructive feedback is always good, both for for-profit and non-profit organizations alike.

and thus why I pointed the OP to the actual forum for suggestions as this is not it.

To help even more, here are the links:
    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/categories/graphical-and-sound-issues
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/categories/controls-user-interface-and-the-sto-gateway
    kjfett_14091.jpg
  • Options
    Actually, those are a bug report forum (this is not a bug) and a UI forum (this is only tangentially related to the UI by way of needing a new UI option).

This one would be more relevant, though I don't think it's such a horrible mistake to put it in General Discussion:

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/categories/the-art-of-star-trek-online