test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Windows 10

Since I updated Windows 10, even it not initialize at all.

Comments

• Options
    velimattialavelimattiala Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    What? Please elaborate.
  • Options
    winchester1979winchester1979 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    The Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Build 14393) that was released yesterday (Aug 2) basically killed Arc, the launcher doesn't launch, the installer downloaded off the website doesn't install, and the game can't be started manually.

The Windows Insider Preview builds in the 14xxx series had the same problem, and the official word from Cryptic/PWE was "we won't support preview builds, please reinstall the general release version".

Well, now it's no longer a preview version, so Cryptic, please get to fixing the game already. You've only had seven months to get used to the changes in Windows....
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Well, this doesn't bode well. LOL!

Similar Topic on Reddit...has more information: https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4vwjhq/psa_arc_launcher_fails_after_windows_10/
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    winchester1979winchester1979 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    It appears that using the "Star Trek Online.exe" executable from the installation directory and logging in manually will work, so it's just Arc that is messed up.
  • Options
    palaedinpalaedin Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    try reinstalling Java, apparently the Windows 10 update killed it on my computer after reinstalling Java it allowed me to reinstall Arc and it works now.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    palaedin wrote: »
    try reinstalling Java, apparently the Windows 10 update killed it on my computer after reinstalling Java it allowed me to reinstall Arc and it works now.

Why would Arc require Java? I've never had any version of the JRE installed on my computer, and Arc ran fine without it; of course, I'm running Windows 7.

I suppose it's possible that Arc doesn't actually need Java, but it checks for cheat programs written in Java, and the type of scanning Arc does is now disallowed by Windows 10.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    palaedinpalaedin Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    To answer that here is the link right to the Arc Support page:

https://support.arcgames.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4653/tpc/4653
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    palaedin wrote: »
    To answer that here is the link right to the Arc Support page:

https://support.arcgames.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4653/tpc/4653

It's possible that the launchers for some of PWE's games are written in Java, but I don't see any evidence that Arc itself or any of STO's code is written in Java. Of course, I haven't updated Arc in a long time, so it's possible that it now requires Java. I think it's more likely that if you have Java installed, then Arc runs some type of check, but if you don't have Java or any game that requires Java to launch, then that check is skipped.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    dragonhef01dragonhef01 Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    Strange, my Win10 64 works fine with Arc and STO with out compatibility enabled. And that's on a 5 year old Acer Capella i3/Intel HD graphics laptop. Is it possible other things may need optimized(RAM, GPU, CPU, etc.)? Good luck with whatever it is.
  • Options
    virgonephilimvirgonephilim Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Is what winchester1979 said.

Thanks.
  • Options
    startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I had this problem turns out (for me anyway) that the Anniversary update screwed up the STO pathway. I just deleted all my old shortcuts and replaced them with the exe from the correct pathway, so it is an easy fix with no need to reinstall STO.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • Options
    gornhunterny1gornhunterny1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    > @startrekron said:
    > I had this problem turns out (for me anyway) that the Anniversary update screwed up the STO pathway. I just deleted all my old shortcuts and replaced them with the exe from the correct pathway, so it is an easy fix with no need to reinstall STO.

This worked for me too, though I also re-installed Java. Glad for the fix, THANKS!!
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Same issue ARC is a no go Win10 version 1607 latest version the "anniversary" release. Oh yeah if you have a toshiba with the HDD accelerator package that build deletes that as well saying it is incombatible with the anniversary build. gee thanks for the hit to my system speed Microsoft!