test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What have you done to the redshirts?

angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
Seriously. I mean this is Star Trek, the franchise that literally gave birth to the redshirt trope. And with AoY released you put Security officers (NPCs and players alike) in gold uniforms in 23c?

Check out the old episodes, like Everything Old is New where you try to outsmart a security patrol on Drozana - all dressed in gold.

I think, art department, if the thought process really was "people get confused, so we change classic Trek iconography to accomodate for the trinity model" you missed the mark here. Especially since it already has been the other way around.​​
lFC4bt2.gif
^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
"A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
"That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    I would really love it if cryptic would expand more on the AoY faction and Redshirts are part of that.

Thumbs up from me.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Well at least they arnt wearing 25 century uniforms anymore.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Seriously. I mean this is Star Trek, the franchise that literally gave birth to the redshirt trope. And with AoY released you put Security officers (NPCs and players alike) in gold uniforms in 23c?

Check out the old episodes, like Everything Old is New where you try to outsmart a security patrol on Drozana - all dressed in gold.

I think, art department, if the thought process really was "people get confused, so we change classic Trek iconography to accomodate for the trinity model" you missed the mark here. Especially since it already has been the other way around.​​

Art assessment is spot on. But to be proper redshirts we need more 'crewman Flores' characters to be proper redshirts. ;)

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    They were going to use redshirts, but they ran out of them by the time they made the missions.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    They went back in time and tie-dyed them.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    jade1280 wrote: »
    Well at least they arnt wearing 25 century uniforms anymore.

and VISORs
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,643 Arc User
    Are you sure the "goldshirts" weren't command staff?

Unless a patch changed it since launch, the first AoY episode does feature a redshirt with the expected results.

The Andorian tac boff calls herself a redshirt, but I took that to mean she was one until she was promoted.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    It's a safety feature. Give them gold shirts and they don't die...

...not until the TNG era anyway.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    edited August 2016

Unless a patch changed it since launch, the first AoY episode does feature a redshirt with the expected results.

The Andorian tac boff calls herself a redshirt, but I took that to mean she was one until she was promoted.

The security patrol in Everything Old Is New was changed from proper redshirts prior to AoY to goldshirts now.

aKJI2HV.jpg?1​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,643 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Huh. I hid from them with my TOS captain so I didn't see them this time.

OK, I'll go hunt for my torch and pitchfork. They should change them back!

http://i.imgur.com/EhzJmX9.png
  • kshoekshoe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Security is part of operations, which is why they wear red shirts in TOS, but Worf wears a gold uniform in TNG.

Or none of this is consistent and they should just make the low end TOS guys red shirts and not worry about it being confusing.
    kshoe wrote: »
    Security is part of operations, which is why they wear red shirts in TOS, but Worf wears a gold uniform in TNG.

Or none of this is consistent and they should just make the low end TOS guys red shirts and not worry about it being confusing.

TNG reversed operations and command colours. Hence Picard and Riker in red. And Geordi and Worf wear gold in TNG.

• kshoekshoe Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I know that. But Worf is security, which the game associates with Command. So either Worf is wearing the wrong uniform or Security is operations and should wear red shirts in 23c and gold ones in the "present"
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

The security patrol in Everything Old Is New was changed from proper redshirts prior to AoY to goldshirts now.

aKJI2HV.jpg?1​​

Maybe it's a side effect of them actually having implemented god as command and red as security since AOY? The old patrol might have been originally deliberately given a different NPC class then would make sense for a security patrol get the red uniforms?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    Maybe it's a side effect of them actually having implemented god as command and red as security since AOY? The old patrol might have been originally deliberately given a different NPC class then would make sense for a security patrol get the red uniforms?

It definitely is, but needs to be fixed. Cryptic has replaced "tactical" with "command" which makes more sense in the canon context, but they still sort "Security" under "Tactical" and now place it in "Command" because it slipped attention to put Security into operations. But STO doesn't differentiate between Operations and Engineering - the trinity is simply not good enough to reflect Star Trek departments.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

It definitely is, but needs to be fixed. Cryptic has replaced "tactical" with "command" which makes more sense in the canon context, but they still sort "Security" under "Tactical" and now place it in "Command" because it slipped attention to put Security into operations. But STO doesn't differentiate between Operations and Engineering - the trinity is simply not good enough to reflect Star Trek departments.​​

Yeah. Cryptic can have Security in "Tactical" colors in the 25th century where the uniform code is their own making, but in the canon time periods Security wears Operations colors. Meaning red in TOS and gold in TNG+.
    kshoe wrote: »
    I know that. But Worf is security, which the game associates with Command. So either Worf is wearing the wrong uniform or Security is operations and should wear red shirts in 23c and gold ones in the "present"

Worf wore red as a command line till Tasha Yar died. Then went to Operations gold as security chief. When he transferred to DS9 he went to command track again and his colors changed to red again.

• farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I noticed that change as well. Hope they fix it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Red Shirts are on back-order now, but if you will leave your email address we'll be happy to send you a notification when the new shipment arrives. We expect to get some Ens. Rickys as well as our usual lines of generic Crewmen and Security Officers.