test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online Console UI Round 2!

Comments

• farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    Many people were wondering how console players would realistically manage all these abilities with a gamepad instead of a keyboard and mouse, and now we have our answer: they won't. The game will play itself. That's really great.
  • captinjacksparowcaptinjacksparow Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    hanover2 wrote: »
    dessniper wrote: »
    Leave my PC interface alone!

Seconded. Do NOT want.

Did you guys not read the dev blog? This is for the console UI's -- the PC UI is staying the same.
  • mmkemp1997mmkemp1997 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    kestrat82 wrote: »
    to be honest, I do believe if they add any of it into the pc ui, it will be optional to the player.

On the auto activation, its already on pc for weapons.

If a person wanted to use a controller with the PC version, would he/she be able to have the option to use the Console format?

Hello,

I hope they bring this option also to the pc version, because there are players like myself that use (x box) control.
    Currently it support the controls, but sadly it is a bit basic.
    Although also imo they should also give this as an option to the pc player, or at least give more support that setting one would be more easier.
    Greetings from,
    Fleet Admiral Michael
    co-founder STO Federation
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    dragnridr wrote: »
    Dear Devs,

How about instead of making a UI change so drastic that it takes ALL customization away for a controller, why not just put in keyboard and mouse support instead. The 360, PS3, PS4, and the XBOX One support keyboard and mouse. So why not?

What about customizing the power levels to what you want and not some preset only? What about people who use the shield facing adjustments during combat? Really, I think going to consoles is a bad idea. WoW, SWTOR, and many others won't touch consoles because there is just too much to do that a controller just can't.

Please do NOT force the new UI onto consoles. At least make it optional for those that like the old UI better.

To be fair, that is based on the assumption PC players would migrate to the console, but Cryptic designed the console version for new players unfamiliar with the game yet. PC player migration is effectively worked against by making consoles use exclusive user account. If you're a PC player and you think about migrating to a console be adviced you cannot use your PC account. You'd "abandon" (you can still play both separately, of course) every purchase you made over the years and had to repurchase everything you'd want to "keep" and this is a trade I'd say not many players are willing to make at this point.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    "While we’re still refining the specific options for ability automation, we have one iteration that we’re happy to share as an example. Engineering Team, a debuff cleanse and hull heal, can be set to auto-activate when a debuff is applied to your ship or when your hull health has hit a certain health threshold. "

WANT. THIS. SO. MUCH!!
  • kalyonsummerskalyonsummers Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Will there be an option called "Leave Console UI as is" ? Or call it classic UI for those of us who like the way it is.
  • daviesdaviesdaviesdavies Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    How about a broccoli Neual Scan Interface for everyone ... it may even make us smarter LOL
    Mzd8i1c.gif
  • velrennvelrenn Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    As a firm defender of IDIC I hope they bring this interface to PC as an option to anyone that wants to play the game with a controller. This is specially useful for folks that like to hook their laptops (or even desktops) to their TVs.

In the same vein I still advocate that there is no strong enough reason to separate (or segregate) PC and console players. It only serves to fragment the game's playerbase. And having people from both platforms play together would serve to alleviate some of the queue problems we are having, among other things.

If it cannot be helped at all, I hope Cryptic will at least allow us to log in with our characters either on the PC servers or the console servers at will. That would contribute to at least a small amount of integration between the community. People who own more than one platform would be able to seamlessly play with their friends in each of them without the hassle of essentially having to maintain and manage two separate accounts.
    IDIC is the spice of life.
  • marikaoniki1marikaoniki1 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    velrenn wrote: »
    As a firm defender of IDIC I hope they bring this interface to PC as an option to anyone that wants to play the game with a controller. This is specially useful for folks that like to hook their laptops (or even desktops) to their TVs.

In the same vein I still advocate that there is no strong enough reason to separate (or segregate) PC and console players. It only serves to fragment the game's playerbase. And having people from both platforms play together would serve to alleviate some of the queue problems we are having, among other things.

If it cannot be helped at all, I hope Cryptic will at least allow us to log in with our characters either on the PC servers or the console servers at will. That would contribute to at least a small amount of integration between the community. People who own more than one platform would be able to seamlessly play with their friends in each of them without the hassle of essentially having to maintain and manage two separate accounts.

If you want cross-platform interaction, Cryptic isn't the one you need to convince.​​
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 736 Arc User

Seconded. Do NOT want.

Did you guys not read the dev blog? This is for the console UI's -- the PC UI is staying the same.

Sorry, but I didn't see anywhere it says nothing is changing on the PC version and that it will only be on console, unless you can point it out for me, please. And the fact that Cryptic has said nothing when questioned, unless somebody can quote a Dev saying otherwise, leads people to suspicion. I agree that the UI has been in long need of an overhaul, mechanically wise, to take up less processing power. But this is not it by a long shot for a PC.

Keep this UI away from the PC.
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    If a person wanted to use a controller with the PC version, would he/she be able to have the option to use the Console format?
    Good question I would like to know that too.
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User

Seconded. Do NOT want.

Sorry, but I didn't see anywhere it says nothing is changing on the PC version and that it will only be on console, unless you can point it out for me, please. And the fact that Cryptic has said nothing when questioned, unless somebody can quote a Dev saying otherwise, leads people to suspicion. I agree that the UI has been in long need of an overhaul, mechanically wise, to take up less processing power. But this is not it by a long shot for a PC.

Keep this UI away from the PC.

Well, I'd say the hint is in the title of the blog: Console UI. If this isn't proof enough that this UI change won't be coming to PC, I don't know what is...
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • twofast4twofast4 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    hey has any one thought to basicly tray 7 the 4 buttons and 2 bumpers for the console that would give ya like 6 trays to activate at the same time with a press of a button each button press activating in sequence all the powers on that tray and auto skipping any on cooldown that would leave 2 bumpers for other things like 1 bumper for shield distribution
    and still have anather button for some thing ealse and than all ya gotta do is set up the trays and go
    cause you never want to be flying and pulling up menus
    and if ya don't know hilbert guide
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Usually not much impresses me but this is something that impresses me taking all these powers and majority of the gunk that has plagued the mmo bandwagon of adding another skillbar to the point you can't see your character/ship. I am really hoping we get it on PC too.

I remember back to when D. Stahl said he was asked by someone from neverwinter team long ago about setting up STO like Neverwinter does and he stated way too much for it to work the same. I figure this is a step forward into making that an actual possibility in the future. As well though I remember after we got the firing mode neverwinter uses now I attemped to use a controller for PC doing it and it kind of worked but it may work even more so if we get this tech to PC player base too.

This is great news :D
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    gilion wrote: »
    To everyone saying to not bring this to the PC, you should be saying, if they do bring it, make it optional.

I'm not saying that, because I don't believe for a second they'd put all that work into it and then allow players to opt out of using it.

i think you may be a little confused here, this ui has been designed for consoles to overcome the functional limitations controllers have relative to a keyboard and mouse, in a game developed around a keyboard and mouse.

star trek online for the pc will always remain predominantly a keyboard and mouse controlled environment, so it would make little sense to enforce a purpose designed controller ui, onto pc players who don't have a controller, or wouldn't want to use a controller for playing the game.​​
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    qziqza wrote: »
    To everyone saying to not bring this to the PC, you should be saying, if they do bring it, make it optional.

I'm not saying that, because I don't believe for a second they'd put all that work into it and then allow players to opt out of using it.

i think you may be a little confused here, this ui has been designed for consoles to overcome the functional limitations controllers have relative to a keyboard and mouse, in a game developed around a keyboard and mouse.

star trek online for the pc will always remain predominantly a keyboard and mouse controlled environment, so it would make little sense to enforce a purpose designed controller ui, onto pc players who don't have a controller, or wouldn't want to use a controller for playing the game.​​

As I said before, wouldn't it have been easier and better to just implement keyboard and mouse support for the consoles and keep the original UI? The last gen and current gen consoles all support keyboard and mouse.
    latest?cb=20141230104800&path-prefix=en
  • cronoprimecronoprime Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    Star Trek Online is a game that offers such a breadth and depth of tactical possibilities in its space combat that your build and engagement options are nearly limitless.

Bringing it to console requires a re-imagining of UI.

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

Well well well, looks like some of us in the other "STO on console" threads were spot on. I mentioned that I hoped they used a "tap button does one thing, hold button does another" feature, and a couple of other people mentioned the Tactics/Gambits of DAO and FFXII.

For those who didn't play Final Fantasy XII, let me explain. FFXII is an MMOish take on the single player Final Fantasy games. (And in fact, it does use a modified version of FFXI's game engine) In FFXII things like buffs and debuffs are more useful than they are in a more traditional FF game. Also you see enemies in the environments like in an MMO, and yes you can zone if you are having trouble.

FFXII uses a Gambit system, inspired by American Football, believe it or not, which helps reduce the tedium of the grind. In FFXII enemies don't drop money, they drop items...so to make money (and license points for learning skills/equipment use) you take down your average trash mobs. Using Gambits lets you take them down faster and more efficiently (which gets you more chainkills) You set up characters to say "Attack nearest enemy" or "If HP drops to <40% cast Cura", or "If Poisoned, cure it": You can still manually override any gambit or to issue commands that you don't want to assign to a gambit, or that you CANT gambit because you only have so many Gambit slots.

Using gambits intelligently is the best way to take on boss battles or hunting marks.
    cidstorm wrote: »
    Ability auto activation and combined activation must be very difficult to program, not a lot of games have that.

Not difficult at all, Final Fantasy XII had this feature on the PS2....ten years ago.
    I hope these features make it to us PC players, along with any back end performance improvements.

I hope they do too.
    Dear Devs,

How about instead of making a UI change so drastic that it takes ALL customization away for a controller, why not just put in keyboard and mouse support instead. The 360, PS3, PS4, and the XBOX One support keyboard and mouse. So why not?

Because console games are designed to be playable with the default controller? (Though MMO's on console are more likely than most games to support multiple control methods)
    WoW, SWTOR, and many others won't touch consoles because there is just too much to do that a controller just can't.

Really? I was playing an MMO on console BEFORE there was ever a WoW or SWTOR. In fact WoW is a LOT like EQOA. But the real reason WoW never went console was because until relatively recently, Blizzards dev teams were notoriously anti-console-pc-master-race types, rather than consoles not being able to do what WoW does.

Besides, it is 2016, why do MMO's have to keep re-using the old tired "lets have a bajillion hotbars with 20 icons each" UI paradigm which was tired back in 1997 with Ultima Online!
    farranor wrote: »
    The game will play itself. That's really great.

It won't play itself more than FFXII played itself. Besides, there's nothing stopping anyone from NOT using this feature (or not using Gambits in FFXII). All this does is take away some of the tedium so the player can focus more on the skills/powers the PLAYER wants to focus on, leaving the rest (like buffs, debuffs, cures) to the AI.
    Usually not much impresses me but this is something that impresses me taking all these powers and majority of the gunk that has plagued the mmo bandwagon of adding another skillbar to the point you can't see your character/ship.

Yes, these bajillion hotbars with bajillion buttons on them are archaic. Instead of having 100 skills why not have fewer and make the choice of WHICH skills to use and when matter more.
    This is great news :D

Yep.

As I said before, wouldn't it have been easier and better to just implement keyboard and mouse support for the consoles and keep the original UI? The last gen and current gen consoles all support keyboard and mouse.

Because the original UI is based on the archaic UI paradims of old. Besides, "Gambits" make perfect sense in the Star Trek universe. Your crew consists of highly trained professionals, they should be smart enough to do things on their own without the captain having to micro-manage every little thing.

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    qziqza wrote: »

But what console players would use them for playing a game? The support is mostly there for web surfing and similar uses. If you made it that way, the game would only find an extreme niche group of players.

Though I could also see another possibly reason - it seems not unlikely that Sony and Microsoft require games on their platform to be designed for use with controllers.
    Besides, it is 2016, why do MMO's have to keep re-using the old tired "lets have a bajillion hotbars with 20 icons each" UI paradigm which was tired back in 1997 with Ultima Online!
    Because they don't know how else to give the players new significant toys that aren't just boring stat boosts? ;)

I tend to think that reducing the number of activatable power is a good idea in general, though. The complexity of the game should not be defined by the number of clickables.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    I want automatic shield redistribution. I want autofire powers. Both those things (for many staple powers, at least) are largely mindless distractions - of course when I start combat I want Tactical Team, Beam Fire at Will, and Attack Pattern Beta active! Of course I want them to all go again as soon as they're off cooldown! Of course when forward shields are low I want to redistribute! These things are not "difficulty" or "skill;" they're hassles.

Let me focus on flying. Let me focus on using the powers that take some active thought. Let me focus on deciding when to unload my T'varo's torpedo, or the distance at which I want to fight the Crystalline Entity. Get the busywork away and let me play the game.
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    So much talk about the PC version in relation.

If it comes at all to the PC version, since it's meant for controllers, I'd think it would only be available if one intended to use a controller.

Which I probably wouldn't on STO, but some might. This isn't like a bad console port where you need the controller to play properly. ^_^ I've seen plenty of those, trust me on that. ^_^​​
  • blurrachiblurrachi Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    Hey devs, serious comment here, don't forget about the Xbox "tactical controller" which adds an additional 4 buttons underneath. Just some food for thought.

But as an avid pvp player in the glory days, timing was everything, this system you seem to have looks promising on paper, only hope it plays similar to pc in that sense, keep up the good work, looking forward to getting my hands on the console version #freshstart

Blurrachi@Red Lantern
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    blurrachi wrote: »
    Hey devs, serious comment here, don't forget about the Xbox "tactical controller" which adds an additional 4 buttons underneath. Just some food for thought.

But as an avid pvp player in the glory days, timing was everything, this system you seem to have looks promising on paper, only hope it plays similar to pc in that sense, keep up the good work, looking forward to getting my hands on the console version #freshstart

Blurrachi@Red Lantern

Yeah, well at best those button could be used as optionals... not everyone has this thing and not everyone wants to fork over that much money given how the standard controllers are already overpriced as it is.
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    nadiezja wrote: »
    I want automatic shield redistribution. I want autofire powers. Both those things (for many staple powers, at least) are largely mindless distractions - of course when I start combat I want Tactical Team, Beam Fire at Will, and Attack Pattern Beta active! Of course I want them to all go again as soon as they're off cooldown! Of course when forward shields are low I want to redistribute! These things are not "difficulty" or "skill;" they're hassles.

Let me focus on flying. Let me focus on using the powers that take some active thought. Let me focus on deciding when to unload my T'varo's torpedo, or the distance at which I want to fight the Crystalline Entity. Get the busywork away and let me play the game.

No offense, but do you want everything but you flying the ship to be automatic too? If so, why not just fly around and do nothing? It's more important to time your abilities together to get the maximum damage. Just randomly/mindlessly hitting all your abilities at once does worse than timing everything. There are abilities that are situational and should only be activated at certain points. Do you want the game to do those too so all you have to do is hit the trigger and fly around? If that is the case, why are you playing an MMO?

There is a reason most MMOs have more than 20 abilities. The Prophets help us if the devs and other players think that dumbing down everything is a really good idea. I really only know of 4 MMOs that work well with controllers and that is because that were designed with controllers in mind. Destiny, DCUO, Defiance, and Neverwinter. Oh, well, Champions might be there somewhere if people still play that one.

Seriously, just add in keyboard and mouse support to the consoles with the original UI and everyone except pvpers will be happy.
    latest?cb=20141230104800&path-prefix=en
  • xoelloexoelloe Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    "While we’re still refining the specific options for ability automation, we have one iteration that we’re happy to share as an example. Engineering Team, a debuff cleanse and hull heal, can be set to auto-activate when a debuff is applied to your ship or when your hull health has hit a certain health threshold. "

WANT. THIS. SO. MUCH!!

WHY????
  • ellyashtearellyashtear Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    here's a novel idea; leave in Keyboard and mouse support for consoles... the PS 2, 3, & 4 all support keyboard and mouse in their systems, as long as the software (game) allows for it, it's entirely possible... i've had titles on those systems that allow K&B so i know it's possible... heck opening up the manual for Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII page 4 list out the keyboard command layout and that is on a PS2 game... developers should quit ignoring the fact that consoles can use keyboard and mouse and have been able to for a long time now...
  • xmatarixxmatarix Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I have to say that I like the idea of the gambit system like FF12 for skills. It will make life simple in combat depending on what can or cannot be auto activated.

Would love to see the control system for PC. While keyboard and mouse is always the better option for the amount of hotkeys you can set. I have always chosen the controller option if it was there. Since I use a joystick for flight and targeting and some active skills, and then the keyboard for all other hotkeys. To have all of that in 1 controller and gambits to manage some skills. I could sit back and relax in my chair vs hunched over my keyboard and joystick.

The one thing I don't think will work out, as pointed out by several people already is the energy management system. While being able to switch with a touch of the Dpad is a great idea, it sadly falls short due to the all or nothing so to speak for 1 power system. A suggestion would be to add a sub menu in the UI that would allow for presets to be saved so that the use of the Dpad switch is more of a benefit.

If that isn't an option this late in the game dev. Another option would be to have the STO community submit power settings for ship types. Select say the top 3 settings for each power setting, and make them presets to slot for each power option.

That's my 2 cents

Looking forward to trying this out on console.

• whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    I would be fine with the current versikn of UI, modified to not suck down so much memory, especially graphics, the current interface literally chops the FPS rate in half!
  • yossimh#7213 yossimh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I hope it comes as an option to the PC, as is an ideal setup for my VR rig (STO looks great, BTW)

What are you using to play ST:O in VR? I'm using Bigscreen, but only because I'm not confident that it would work with VorpX and I don't want to buy it before knowing for sure.

But playing with a VR headset on and having to use the keyboard and mouse is quite, quite awkward, so I'm adding my voice to those clamoring for a gamepad option to come to the PC version!