test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online Console UI Round 2!

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
Star Trek Online is a game that offers such a breadth and depth of tactical possibilities in its space combat that your build and engagement options are nearly limitless.

Bringing it to console requires a re-imagining of UI.

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Interesting. At least superficially, it makes sense, but also hints at why we might want stricter seperation between PC and console servers. The ability to auto-activate certain abilities on a trigger for example is pretty serious - you just can't do that on the PC right now. The closest we have if to set up special key-binds, of course.

The power management changes for console might also have some impact - if you "Only" can set which power to max, you might lose options you had on PC. (Same thing with Distributing Shield power to specific facings, but I think most poeple rely on a mix of tactical team and balancing shields anyway.)

What I still would like to know if the back-end changes to the UI will go to the PC version. They might imply performance improvements with the UI, even if we keep the old controls.
    From the new control system, it would make sense to me if the console controller options would get into STO, too, for people that want to use console controllers. Personally, I'll stick with mouse and keyboard. But even keyboard users might benefit from some "auto-activating" abilities, especially since it might circumvent the need to master keybinds (which I think is really not something I expect a casual player or a newbie to do, but could greatly improve their gameplay.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The simplified shield distribution makes sense, you rarely distribute shield facings independently. However, only relying on energy presets? So a max weapon/max aux science destroyer is basically a systematically bad choice on consoles?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    oooh... we can set our boffs to use their powers based on a simple AI routine. :) Neato!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    oooh... we can set our boffs to use their powers based on a simple AI routine. :) Neato!

I share your concern. Just relying on the 100% presets sucks. Even on my alt toons I tweak one to suit my needs.
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    Hey, the skill Auto-Activation settings sound like one piece I really wouldn't mind bleeding into the PC interface at all! Can't wait to test it out on XB1.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I hope some of this comes to PC. I'd love to stream the PC version to my TV in my living room to do dailies and such on the couch. Steam In-Home streaming is great, I do DOFFing on my Windows Surface Tablet using it.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    I don't care what naysayers say. I WANT THIS UI ON PC!!!!! :D
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • shadowedmortalityshadowedmortality Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I was primarily worried about how the space battle UI would handle on console, this description smoothed over some of my bigger concerns and it actually makes me hopeful for its release. (I plan on getting my console friends hooked on it once it comes out on console and want it to be a good/smooth experience)
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Ability auto activation and combined activation must be very difficult to program, not a lot of games have that. I hope these features make it to us PC players, along with any back end performance improvements.

Does this mean we can get rid of activation timers?
  • dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    Leave my PC interface alone!
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    dessniper wrote: »

This.​​
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User

Seconded. Do NOT want.

• gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    I hope it comes as an option to the PC, as is an ideal setup for my VR rig (STO looks great, BTW)
    edited June 2016

No where in this blog post did they say they were touching the PC interface.

No where in any of the console UI blogs have they said this.
  • xoelloexoelloe Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    I don't care what naysayers say. I WANT THIS UI ON PC!!!!! :D

It is comforting for me to know that this is called a "console UI". That is a definite distinction. However, maybe it is optional for pc players, I hope you get what you want.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    Nicely Done dev team.

This UI looks great and it looks like you've done something really special with the controls, I'm rather impressed. I gotta say some of those features would be nice Quality of Life improvements, so here's hoping that we'll get some of this as additions to the PC version. :)

It's a dream come true, and something I would like to see come available on the PC. Automation is something I've been asking for for ages. But just that. The option to utilize features would be nice.
    I was primarily worried about how the space battle UI would handle on console, this description smoothed over some of my bigger concerns and it actually makes me hopeful for its release. (I plan on getting my console friends hooked on it once it comes out on console and want it to be a good/smooth experience)

I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with how they handled it, and automation was the most direct solution.

An interesting note from the blog you may want to read into.

The two main adjustments from the PC version are shield redistribution and power level swapping.

This indicates to me that they are definitely treating them as separate versions of it and therefore this will remain the default only on consoles. That said, there are certainly features here that I would welcome as options in the PC version.

tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • qapla82qapla82 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    i have been playing with an xbox pad for 4 years till you guys some how broke it :neutral:
  • giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    To everyone saying to not bring this to the PC, you should be saying, if they do bring it, make it optional.

Also, I think im the only person who's sad that I wont be able to distribute my shields to a single facing :(
    You could simple make so if you just give the stick a quick click, then it redistributes between all facing, but if you hold it down and then move it a direction that will strengthen just one facing.

And funny how the blog says pressing the left stick will redistribute shields, but the pictures show right stick.
    To everyone saying to not bring this to the PC, you should be saying, if they do bring it, make it optional.

I'm not saying that, because I don't believe for a second they'd put all that work into it and then allow players to opt out of using it.

• kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    Hmmm...looks like perhaps they found a decent way to do a controller. Can't wait to test it out.
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • vhylevhyle Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    This is the first I've heard STO will be coming to xbone and i'm psyc'd! This looks great!
  • larsononelarsonone Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Are u guys planning any beta testing foe the consoles?
  • larsononelarsonone Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I only ever used a controller on the pc version for ground but i still used keyboard for using certain abilities. The controller really worked well for the ice race deal during the winter events.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    Once we had ability and target selection down, we were able to dive in and play with the control scheme on some higher-level content. We noticed that while it played well and gave us easy access to all of our combat options, we still wanted to make sure we had a good balance between flying, ability selection, targeting, and assessing your tactical situation. At this phase of development, we found some people were playing the UI more than actually playing the game. To iron out this latest wrinkle we developed ability automation technology.

Captains may choose to auto-activate as many or as few abilities as they want in their radial menus, with the exception of the abilities mapped to their home buttons. Every ability is different, however. Playtesting will determine the best way to auto-activate abilities, or if we should allow auto-activation for every ability. Some powers – like Saucer Separation – just won’t work with the auto-activate feature.

While we’re still refining the specific options for ability automation, we have one iteration that we’re happy to share as an example. Engineering Team, a debuff cleanse and hull heal, can be set to auto-activate when a debuff is applied to your ship or when your hull health has hit a certain health threshold. Of course cooldowns still apply, so while your ability will fire based on your predetermined settings, that could mean it isn’t available in another moment when you may need it. Some players may want pinpoint control of all of their abilities all the time, so they can choose to simply keep all of their abilities off of auto-activate and execute them all manually through the radial menus. We are leaving the decision to you on how hands-on you want to be with the timing and activation of your abilities.

That pretty much covers the biggest concern I'd had as far as converting STO to STC... I'd worried about console folks being stuck "playing the UI more than actually playing the game" as you'd put it. The addition of auto-activation should pretty much cover that. I'm still not personally interested in switching over; I have too many knick knacks here on PC, and I'm not interested acquiring the same thing for the same(ish) game twice (well, not for the Account stuff anyway; playing the game to get new stuff for new characters I'm fine with), but it'd be nice if the console version succeeds in attracting its own playerbase. For that to happen, a solid UI is going to be pretty important, since every aspect of playing a game requires interacting with its UI.

I look forward to more on this, and hopefully some of these features will be an option here on PC as well. :smile:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
    edited June 2016
    hanover2 wrote: »
    gilion wrote: »

I don't believe for a second they'd put all that work into it and then allow players to opt out of using it.

That doesn't make any sense.

Using your reasoning they would bring it to PC.

"We put so much work into the console UI we should put it on PC"
    edited June 2016
    -double post-
  • kestrat82kestrat82 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    to be honest, I do believe if they add any of it into the pc ui, it will be optional to the player.

On the auto activation, its already on pcfor weapons.
  • mavericksawyermavericksawyer Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Ooh, autofire for abilities? THAT should be made available on PC, too.
    My guide to internet survival:

NEVER argue with trolls, drunks, idiots, or conspiracy nuts. They'll just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    If a person wanted to use a controller with the PC version, would he/she be able to have the option to use the Console format?
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Dear Devs,

How about instead of making a UI change so drastic that it takes ALL customization away for a controller, why not just put in keyboard and mouse support instead. The 360, PS3, PS4, and the XBOX One support keyboard and mouse. So why not?

What about customizing the power levels to what you want and not some preset only? What about people who use the shield facing adjustments during combat? Really, I think going to consoles is a bad idea. WoW, SWTOR, and many others won't touch consoles because there is just too much to do that a controller just can't.

Please do NOT force the new UI onto consoles. At least make it optional for those that like the old UI better.
    latest?cb=20141230104800&path-prefix=en