test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What will it take to get YOU to play KDF?

Comments

• Options
    wintercrow98wintercrow98 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    T6 K'Tinga. Cause I R OldSkool.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    We already have no ETA on a T6 Vo'Quv. So, what you're proposing is a situation in which the KDF has little attention paid to it compared to Fed, where future development is uncertain.
    How is development for the Fed uncertain? 80% of the playerbase is Federation. They have a much higher chance for development than KDF or RR. I would say near certain chance, actually.
    Even though we are already, at present, in that very same situation. You fear desegregating the factions and allowing players easier access to play with each other regardless of faction because of the prospect that things will remain as they are, not because things will somehow be worse.
    80% of the players are Federation... because they want to play Federation. You might possibly have a handful of Federation players in KDF ships, but no significant amount. If 80% of the playerbase wanted to fly a KDF ship... they can. Now. So if you do away with the KDF... nothing changes except no more KDF ships, because you have equal or better options already made.
    Which is a possibility, sure. But you're still missing the meritous point that players would be capable of playing with each other without this ever being uttered, "Oh, sorry. You can't join me, you aren't in my faction."
    I don't like the "no teaming with other factions" restriction. I think it is an engine limitation because of unique story missions, but that is just a guess.
    Not to mention that uniting the factions can come in a myriad of forms, with a different set of rules than that which you are proposing. Desegregation is not a zero sum game.​​
    The only proposed desegregation I have seen is warpangel's, and that one is very much zero sum. If you have a different idea, then I am happy to hear it, and I am willing to look at it with an open mind.
    Of course, KDF players will only see this as meaning that their exclusive stuff is given away to Feds, and now they have the cool KDF toys. But what is more important than exclusive stuff is the fundamental ability to create a faction-appropriate character and still play whatever play style you like. But if Cryptic can choose spending x resources on a new Carrier, and they can get more players interested for the Fed variant than for the KDF variant, why bother?
    Exactly. Once the great faction merge is complete, they never have to build anything for the KDF or RR again. Also, they can add Battle Cloaks and Singularity Powers to existing Fed ships, so the Romulans can have a larger selection of science murder-ships to choose from.
    Imagine instead of the Cross-Faction triples we have now, Cryptic would just release a single Tier 6 Vo'Quv, but make it available to everyone. ANd it's the only Carrier with, say, full Temporal or Command Specialization. THere will never be a Fed version, there will never be a RR version, it's KDF only. The don't need to provide one for the other factions, because the ship is already available to anyone. Now the KDF players have an awesome Carrier that they can play, but everyone else could decide to play it, too. It benefits the KDF players more than Cryptic deciding not to make that Carrier at all, because it won't sell. It will likely even work better than making a Cross-Faction Triple Pack of Carriers with similar stats, because that would dilute sales and definitetely require 3 times the workload for the art department.
    The best chance the KDF had for a new Vo'quv would have been a 3 faction multi-pack with the Jupiter. Now, unless Cryptic does a T6 Atrox, there is nearly no chance that there will ever be a T6 Vo'quv.There are only 17% of the playerbase that plays Klingons. Of that, only a portion fly Carriers. So you are making a ship... for what? Less than 1% of the playerbase? Why? So Federation players can buy it for the Starship Trait for their Jupiter? Cryptic would make more money putting cross-faction traits in lockboxes.

If players wanted to fly a Klingon ship they would play a Klingon character. Which they can do. Now.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    If players wanted to fly a Klingon ship they would play a Klingon character. Which they can do. Now.

Players can want to fly a Klingon ship without playing a Klingon character. Which they can't do. Yet.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    Players can want to fly a Klingon ship without playing a Klingon character. Which they can't do. Yet.
    Why would a member of Starfleet want to fly a Vor'cha? or a Vo'quv? or a B'rel?

Why would a member of the Republic Navy want to fly a Bortas'qu? Or a Varanus? Or a Dacoit?

Wouldn't you rather, y'know, fly a Starfleet or Republic Navy vessel? Or is this like the "man, it would be so cool to fly an Undine Bioship" or "those Iconian dreadnoughts are sweet" lockbox sorta thing?

Why bother with an identity? Why not just say "Star Trek" on the can and put... whatever in it? No United Federation of Planets. No Klingon Empire. No Romulans. No Dominion. No Borg. Just do... whatever with... whatever.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Nothing, I have four KDF Characters, already am.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options

Why would a member of the Republic Navy want to fly a Bortas'qu? Or a Varanus? Or a Dacoit?

Wouldn't you rather, y'know, fly a Starfleet or Republic Navy vessel? Or is this like the "man, it would be so cool to fly an Undine Bioship" or "those Iconian dreadnoughts are sweet" lockbox sorta thing?
    Why do you ask a question when you already know the answer? Yes, that's what it is. People want to fly all kinds of ships. Undine, Iconian, etc. It's fun. People would undoubtedly fly Klingon ships, too. If they were allowed to.
    Why bother with an identity? Why not just say "Star Trek" on the can and put... whatever in it? No United Federation of Planets. No Klingon Empire. No Romulans. No Dominion. No Borg. Just do... whatever with... whatever.
    Why let a list of factions choose your identity for you? Why not be who you want and fly what you want?

Would be awesome.
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    There's actually a really good case to be made for the ability to pilot other factions' ships- many canon episodes and movies where it has been done to establish precedent. IMO it's an arbitrary game restriction that's meaningless, it doesn't really serve a purpose, and a ship certainly doesn't establish "identity" in the slightest.

Again, that's why I think PWE/Cryptic focusing on improving the storylines and factions themselves, rather than just keeping restrictions in the game would be the best course of action- improving the others to be on par with Federation would do wonders for player choice as well as draw more players (and potential customers) into the game, IMO.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    If you don't like to play a Klingon and instead some generic alien that's your call. But it's not going to change. Making all ships unrestricted access for you to fly around isn't going to improve the story or gameplay. Not to mention extremely unbalanced. It's no different from complaining I don't like the class factions in other mmos. If you don't like it stick with being a Fed. If you want to fly a BOP or Warbird play the respective factions.

Don't give us "we are not allowed to" card. Nobody is stopping you from playing KDF/Romulan. The only time you will fly other faction ships is for missions only. If this would be allowed to happen it be the final nail in the coffin for Klingons/Romulans, because people would rather stick with one character and demand everything.

And the ships do establish a identity. The designers went to great lengths to distinguish a Klingon/Romulan ship from Fed. Same thing for Cardassians. Why do you think most of the ships resemble their emblems if not for identity? I sincerely doubt we will get any Klingon/Romulan stories if you axed the restrictions and removed all factions. The only thing that would happen would be more centric Fed/Temporal content.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    If you don't like to play a Klingon and instead some generic alien that's your call. But it's not going to change. Making all ships unrestricted access for you to fly around isn't going to improve the story or gameplay. Not to mention extremely unbalanced. It's no different from complaining I don't like the class factions in other mmos. If you don't like it stick with being a Fed. If you want to fly a BOP or Warbird play the respective factions.

Don't give us "we are not allowed to" card. Nobody is stopping you from playing KDF/Romulan. The only time you will fly other faction ships is for missions only. If this would be allowed to happen it be the final nail in the coffin for Klingons/Romulans, because people would rather stick with one character and demand everything.

And the ships do establish a identity. The designers went to great lengths to distinguish a Klingon/Romulan ship from Fed. Same thing for Cardassians. Why do you think most of the ships resemble their emblems if not for identity? I sincerely doubt we will get any Klingon/Romulan stories if you axed the restrictions and removed all factions. The only thing that would happen would be more centric Fed/Temporal content.

Sorry, I have to disagree with the "ships establish identity" thing. Your ship is not who you are- it's a tool you utilize for a purpose or purposes. Identity is outside of a tool.

And I'm not disagreeing that there should be definition at all- simply stating that there is indeed canon precedence for other factions utilizing ships of others, and therefore a game restriction based on "it doesn't belong to your faction" isn't logical.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    I'll play KDF things, IF I got to play them on my FED. I used to play KDF way back, but just wasn't my cup of tea, I'd play some of the ships, but never the faction that shoehorns you into being treated a klingon when you're another species, and the stereotyping just got old even in foundry, sure there were exceptions but not enough.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    So apparently it's logical for Feds to fly around in anything now? The ships, weapons, how they dress all serve as part of their cultural identity. You can tell a lot about a race by their art, language, fashion. All you see is tool, I see something else entirely. By your logic we may as well be flying other franchises sci-fi ships. Because apparently it serves no purpose. If you want different ship, there is plenty of unrestricted lobi ships for you to use. Just not Klings/Romulan ones.
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • Options
    By your logic we may as well be flying other franchises sci-fi ships. Because apparently it serves no purpose.

I gave no such example of established canon precedence with piloting "other franchises sci-fi ships." but OK, whatever.

• Options
    That's special situations during episodes. You don't see Captain Sisko running around in BOP now. Or Captain Janeway in command of a Borg sphere. Come on be realistic... If that's the only precedence to consider justifying demolishing what's left of Kling/Roms then it's not good enough. It's just another bad excuse for devs to be Fed exclusive forever.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Actually, now that I think about it the Thread Subject sounds like something you'd hear from a Car Salesman.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    By your logic we may as well be flying other franchises sci-fi ships. Because apparently it serves no purpose.

I gave no such example of established canon precedence with piloting "other franchises sci-fi ships." but OK, whatever.

You may as well be. Canon is out the window as soon as I see Fedbears running around in T6 scimitar and Klingon vessels. May as well be allowed to fly a Imperial Class II Star Destroyer. Because like you said factions serve no purpose.

• Options

You may as well be. Canon is out the window as soon as I see Fedbears running around in T6 scimitar and Klingon vessels. May as well be allowed to fly a Imperial Class II Star Destroyer. Because like you said factions serve no purpose.

I don't know what your "fixation" is with me, but if you read my previous posts on KDF you'd realize I'm advocating for more definition rather than a lazy uniting of factions and just giving up because it's cheaper or easier for the devs.

Might wanna go do some homework- we probably agree more than you know here. I simply made a statement regarding established precedent and you locked target for some strange reason. For the record, I'd love to give my KDF some more time in game. I'm sort of sick of the Fed side especially with the AOY stuff (yuck) and I'm actually also considering rolling up a Rom KDF allied character too.

My KDF is Lt General atm, been trying to suck it up and get thru the KDF episodes but some of it's hard to digest, like the whole Devidian piece (where you're treated like a Fed even though you're obviously a Klingon, for example) etc.

No hard feelings, eh?

• Options
    So apparently it's logical for Feds to fly around in anything now? The ships, weapons, how they dress all serve as part of their cultural identity. You can tell a lot about a race by their art, language, fashion. All you see is tool, I see something else entirely. By your logic we may as well be flying other franchises sci-fi ships. Because apparently it serves no purpose. If you want different ship, there is plenty of unrestricted lobi ships for you to use. Just not Klings/Romulan ones.

If all you have to say is "I don't want others to have the option of doing this thing that doesn't affect me at all," you have nothing to say.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    The only proposed desegregation I have seen is warpangel's, and that one is very much zero sum. If you have a different idea, then I am happy to hear it, and I am willing to look at it with an open mind.

As you said before, an engine limitation that shouldn't be there any longer. That's really all my ideas for desegregation consist of. Bringing down these engine limitation barriers so in the end it doesn't matter what faction people want to play as long as they can seamlessly and effortlessly join their friends who might prefer other factions.

I'm not on board with the whole idea of factions flying each other's ships, or sharing other distinctive art assets, but we're all players under one roof (the STO roof), and the less reason people have to care about playing one faction over another is fine with me.

I'd rather hear people say "Hey, let's go do this mission." "Sure, I'm on my KDF character right now and I don't feel like relogging to a Fed character, so let's just play." instead of "Yeah, no cross-faction teaming. I'll have to relog."

I know this all seems fairly trivial, but the less differences we see between the factions, the more we can concentrate on having fun.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    That Orions, Gorn, Trill, Letheans, Nausicaans, Talaxians act some what Klingon, they not a multicultural society, especially at the military level.

Martok: "We are Klingons, Worf. We don't embrace other cultures, we conquer them!"

But no sizable Empire can exist that does not recruit soldiers from conquered peoples, Rome, Persia, the Ottomens, America, the Mongols, the British, no vast empire can exist as a racial monolyth.
  • Options
    cabezadetortugacabezadetortuga Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    There already is a reason for everyone to play KDF. How else are you supposed to fly the most fun starship in the game? I'm talking of course about the Kor Bird of Prey.

If you haven't given it a shot yet, then what are you waiting for?
  • Options

If all you have to say is "I don't want others to have the option of doing this thing that doesn't affect me at all," you have nothing to say.

You have ZERO jurisdiction to tell me or anyone else what to say or post. Nor do I need consider stack pile of arguments for giving other ships to Feds "homework", I considered it tedious (but I did read it). And don't bother to use false quotations when I never said that. It effects the rest of us that care about Klings/Roms faction, besides wanting their assets just because I couldn't be bothered to roll as them. Only thing that could work is team grouping. Ships is crossing the line.

• Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Uhh, Whut?

Oh, no, no, no no... The whole point of having distinct factions is to have a different experience with each faction, if Feds can purchase KDF ships (and vice versa) then there really isn't much of a point to having seperate factions at all.

I, for one, really don't want to see Feds flying Vor'cha cruisers or B'rel raiders, or Scimitars, D'deridex warbirds. Conversely I don't want to see (non-starfleet) Klingons captaining Vestas, Galaxies, or even Connies (lol). But that's my opinion and hardly relevant.

Point is, we should be trying to encourage players to play from a different perspective. Not trying to find a way to distill the Empire into a half-baked Fed experience.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I already play KDF. I prefer to. I started playing KDF back when a player had to level their Fed char to 25 before the KDF was unlocked. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea, but I did it anyway.

I have no regrets.

I enjoy playing KDF very much. The only thing I can think of which would make this more enjoyable would be if Geko would stop hatin' on us Redsiders. So I guess there's my answer.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    gowron1eykyk.gif
    Didn't quite work out for Gowron. The only good thing a Fed ship would be to Klingons is target practice.
    klingon.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    There already is a reason for everyone to play Rom. How else are you supposed to fly the most fun starship in the game? I'm talking of course about the Malem Bird of Prey.
    Fixed that for you. :p

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Because the player of that character likes the design of the ship, or the stats, or a combination of both. Maybe he has a clever backstory on how he got the ship from a special raid or due to a unique agreement.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User

Because the player of that character likes the design of the ship, or the stats, or a combination of both. Maybe he has a clever backstory on how he got the ship from a special raid or due to a unique agreement.

His point was that the Feds get alot more ships to chose from and most of them are over-powered compared to their 'equivalent' KDF version.

Take the Varanus for one, copy-pasted reskin of a crappy level 40 ship that the KDF has to pay for and be level 50 to use.
    Meanwhile the Feds get to use the Vesta line from the C-store at level 50, see the difference?

The only reason any Fed or Fed-aligned Romulan / Reman would want a KDF ship is for the console, Oh wait no they don't even need to buy a KDF ship as most of the consoles off them ended up in a Lockbox!
  • Options
    The only reason any Fed or Fed-aligned Romulan / Reman would want a KDF ship is for the console, Oh wait no they don't even need to buy a KDF ship as most of the consoles off them ended up in a Lockbox!
    Or the design aesthetics, or the Admiralty cards, or for role-playing, or just to collect different ships.

Or, for asterisk's sake, even just to watch the KDF purists' temper tantrums at the sight of "the Feds" flying their precious ships. :D
  • Options
    As you said before, an engine limitation that shouldn't be there any longer. That's really all my ideas for desegregation consist of. Bringing down these engine limitation barriers so in the end it doesn't matter what faction people want to play as long as they can seamlessly and effortlessly join their friends who might prefer other factions.

I'm not on board with the whole idea of factions flying each other's ships, or sharing other distinctive art assets, but we're all players under one roof (the STO roof), and the less reason people have to care about playing one faction over another is fine with me.

I'd rather hear people say "Hey, let's go do this mission." "Sure, I'm on my KDF character right now and I don't feel like relogging to a Fed character, so let's just play." instead of "Yeah, no cross-faction teaming. I'll have to relog."

I know this all seems fairly trivial, but the less differences we see between the factions, the more we can concentrate on having fun.​​
    This all sounds pretty good to me.

I'm not quite sold on letting any faction in any fleet. KDF starbases are 1000x more awesome than Starfleet ones. Being able to drink a toast before battle, and getting a tiny mechanical benefit from it, is an amazing touch.