What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Memorial Service for Anton Yelchin (July 21st 2016) [Called Off] [UPDATE]

124»

Comments

• Options
    alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    This has begun badly. It continues badly. It will end badly. It does not honor the memory of Mr.Yelchin.
    It uses his passing as a way to acquire undeserved attention.

Pretty much.
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    So just to clarify OP, the memorial start time appears to be right in the middle of typical weekly server maintenance, unless I'm mistaken.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    rcassandrasaturnrcassandrasaturn Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    So just to clarify OP, the memorial start time appears to be right in the middle of typical weekly server maintenance, unless I'm mistaken.

yes, but it's after maintenance that instances gets better due to less lag.
    Fleet commander of Slippery When Wet.
    i am Deaf Transgender girl. i'm Known to others as Korra.
    you can find me on Tumblr, Twitter, Twitch
  • Options
    rcassandrasaturnrcassandrasaturn Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    just a update. i'm closing all events and giveaways. even the Memorial Service is called off.

Reason: i'm too burned out on STO. i need a break. i can't deal with everything going on in STO at all.

i'm sorry.
    Fleet commander of Slippery When Wet.
    i am Deaf Transgender girl. i'm Known to others as Korra.
    you can find me on Tumblr, Twitter, Twitch
  • Options
    alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    i'm trying to have a very nice Memorial Service for Anton. because, he's practically a family member of ours in STO/Trek family as we have considered him as brother.... because this is Family supporting each other and celebrate, remembering Anton Yelchin.
    even the Memorial Service is called off.

Reason: i'm too burned out on STO.

Uh huh.
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    OP, you're not burned out, you're embarrassed.

Because people called you out on your little attention-gathering scheme. This was always all about you. Instead of who you claimed it was about. Your desire for a memorial service ingame for Anton Yelchin was not genuine. It was a shameful artifice where you attempted to show how you are a much better a Star Trek fan than the rest of us. None of the negative feedback you got here would have occurred had this so-called 'memorial' indeed been what you claimed it was.

Like I said earlier. This ended badly.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    p3nnyw1se#1639 p3nnyw1se Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    since the OP has disgracefully backed out of this memorial service and disrespected the legacy of

mr yelchin, the good folks at SFD are planning to hold a replacement service to truly honor the man

the myth and the legend. they are even planning to give away a free t6 constitution class!
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited July 2016
    OP, you're not burned out, you're embarrassed.

Because people called you out on your little attention-gathering scheme. This was always all about you. Instead of who you claimed it was about. Your desire for a memorial service ingame for Anton Yelchin was not genuine. It was a shameful artifice where you attempted to show how you are a much better a Star Trek fan than the rest of us. None of the negative feedback you got here would have occurred had this so-called 'memorial' indeed been what you claimed it was.

Like I said earlier. This ended badly.

I disagree with that statement. I just went through this thread and found an honet attempt at making a community event derailed by, honestly, insensitive people who started to pick apart every possible intention and certain individuals declaring their intentions to force their own style of respect (*cough*trolling*cough*) upon others despite objections. I'd say being burned out by that is a legitimate reason. Only reason I can see that this "ended badly" is the constant attacks against the OP in this thread.
    nabreeki wrote: »
    It started with good intentions, but, as these threads do, it devolved into finger pointing, naming/shaming, flamebaiting, and the usual trolling.

I agree with the OP: Anton was a treasured member of Trek and easily the best Chekov, period. RIP.

Gee... I wonder WHY it devolved into that? Could it be because of you and your fleet declared its intentions to crash it with disco balls despite everyone wanting it to be a serious event?

And please don't hide behind it being a "public zone" and calling disco balls "memorial spheres". They are NOT meant to be used at memorials because it is disruptive. And frankly this idea of you guys showing up and popping the disco balls is almost as bad as the old WoW Funeral Raid where one group was holding a legit funeral in game for a player who died, only to get ganked by another group.

It is disrespectful to both Anton and the participants.

Anton was a good actor, but I doubt he'd appreciate anyone disrupting his memorial with unwanted disco balls and party poppers.

My 2 ECs on this whole fiasco this thread turned into.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Hmm quoting doesn't seem to work on my phone.. @rattler2

As much as I agree with most of your post, the OP could have avoided a lot of the trouble by not wanting to decide what others should wear.

There is this thing called 'personal freedom' that people usually consider important. By immediately telling them that she gets to tell is what we should be wearing at an open event in a public place, she went straight against that important principle. That's basically asking for trouble as I can imagine there are people who would, for example, consider black more appropriate. Or a long robe instead of a dress uniform.

Of course people will challenge you when you create a thread about an open event and tell them that their preferred style would not be considered appropriate funeral attire, before even knowing ehat it would be.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I saw NOTHING about a giveaway in the OP. And I'm pretty sure history speaks for itself regarding your fleet's activities. There was no flaming at all. Declaring intentions to disrupt an event with "memorial spheres" is disrespectful. If you had been serious and just said that you would attend, I would have let it go. But bringing up "celebrating" his life the way it was...

I don't go out of my way to bash everything Dental. You're assuming I am. I just pointed out that the derailing started with you in this thread. Then your fleetmates joined in adding their disco balls, and... well... here we are.

I honestly don't understand why you can't just try what the OP did and set up your own event. People did not appreciate the disco balls at Nemoy's memorial being forced on them. If you want disco balls, set up your own event. Don't just hyjack another person's attempt at being respectful.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Breeks, the gag has gotten old. Look for a new one.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Since the event was called off, for whatever reasons, and because the thread itself rather than the event has become the main topic of discussion, I don't think keeping it open serves any purpose.

@midniteshadow7 @askray @pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    Event cancelled. Thread off topic. /closed
This discussion has been closed.