test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

On the Enterprise-J

i'm all for 'authenticity' and so on when it comes to design.. but the EntJ's? I think that could've used a bit more time in the redesign phase...
quick image ref i dug up somewhere(credit to whoever did image in the first place): http://i.imgur.com/L9gqfew.jpg

Anybody else think it... (as politely as i can put it) "needs work"?
Granted it's not entirely cryptic's fault, but come on. :P

Comments

• Options
    darkenviousdarkenvious Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    the Enterprise is not that bad, it is perfectly fine the way it is and doesn't need to be changed
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    bengahl wrote: »
    i'm all for 'authenticity' and so on when it comes to design.. but the EntJ's? I think that could've used a bit more time in the redesign phase...
    quick image ref i dug up somewhere(credit to whoever did image in the first place): http://i.imgur.com/L9gqfew.jpg

Why are you using a datamined pic from pre-Tribble?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    lIJtfAu.gif

69ec325616d9ede9ee4aa8eee3b9fdc3.jpg
  • Options
    bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

Why are you using a datamined pic from pre-Tribble?​​

Because google. :/
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Taco posted a thread in the art subforum named Vitamin J with his models for it. Fully rendered and complete. His picture of it in flight is my new background.

@tacofangs I hope you get a chance to make some more ships in the future. Maybe contemporaries of the Universe Class. It's a damn fine model even in the time constraints you had.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    you do see an Image of the Enterprise J during one of the times that Temporal Agent Daniels brings Archer to the future during one of the episodes of Enterprise. In one of the episodes Daniels brings Archer aboard the Enterprise J in the middle of The Battle of Procyon V and the image of the Enterprise J you see looks like the Enterprise J that we see during The Battle of Procyon V that we the players take part in

Which brings me to something that I've been wondering, when we are on the Enterprise J fighting the enemies there, my question is this. Is Captain Archer somewhere on the Enterprise J with Daniels at same time as us while we the players are fighting enemies on Enterprise J? I want to say yes though we never do see Archer with Daniels, I am just guessing though
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    you do see an Image of the Enterprise J during one of the times that Temporal Agent Daniels brings Archer to the future during one of the episodes of Enterprise. In one of the episodes Daniels brings Archer aboard the Enterprise J in the middle of The Battle of Procyon V and the image of the Enterprise J you see looks like the Enterprise J that we see during The Battle of Procyon V that we the players take part in

Which brings me to something that I've been wondering, when we are on the Enterprise J fighting the enemies there, my question is this. Is Captain Archer somewhere on the Enterprise J with Daniels at same time as us while we the players are fighting enemies on Enterprise J? I want to say yes though we never do see Archer with Daniels, I am just guessing though

I tend to assume that Daniels did that before he brought us in. I mean, we certainly didn't see the conclusion of the battle during 'Azati Prime' (the episode this scene was from) and it may be fair to assume that Daniels simply showed Archer a brief snapshot of the battle.

True it could have been at any time during the Battle of Procyon V never know though, and yep its during the episode of Enterprise - Azati Prime when you see an image of the Enterprise J which as I said looks like the Enterprise J we see when us players go to the Battle of Procyon V in STO. During that Episode of Azati Prime you see Archer look at a wall and you see the image of the Enterprise J and Archer keeps moving back and forth on that image but its easy to get a good look at both sides and then form a mental picture of what it looks like

• Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Honestly, Azati Prime looks like the 'original' Battle of Procyon V - before Noye and his lot came in.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    lighte007lighte007 Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    Like the Dauntless and some others. >.>
    The Rising of the Delta is the best expansion ever, and people love it to death because it is a good day to die in the endless struggle for supremacy of your own conviction. (A spin off of the Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.)
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    In the art team's defense, the Klingons will be using K'tinga descendants until the stars themselves go out, it's pretty clear. :)

It does seem that was the 'pre-TLF', post mission version when Daniels is okay again version of the battle. Time travel is weird.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    We never do find out whats up with Daniel's face do we?

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer

So, um . . . can you be a little less vague? What exactly do you think should be change:pensive:

Sure! Daniels and Archer could be on board (somewhere) while you're doing your thing. Keep in mind that because science, Time Traveling Daniels might be in multiple places on the J at the same moment.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    gradii wrote: »

It seems to be a result of the Battle of Proycon V being weighted more and more against the Alliance - the battles getting rougher, as each mission with Daniels has another group joining the Envoy's forces, and his face in the timeline revisions in the Proycon V STF match the situation at the end of each mission, with more and more enemy faction groups joining the battle.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    the Enterprise is not that bad, it is perfectly fine the way it is and doesn't need to be changed

It does need some specific changes, like the addition of a universal commander slot, a universal lt slot that can use all specs, a 5/4 weapons loadout, and a 3k zen price tag. Oh and access to all fed hull materials. And an "I win" console that donates five dollars to @tacofangs ' checking account every time you click it.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

I put it down to Temporal Radiation. Note how he never talks about what's happening to him, he must have some device on him that's being affected by the sudden time changes and it's hurting him.

That or he's part Iconian. dino3-11.gif​​

I originally put it down to that Envoy is Future Daniels in The Core of the Matter mission. Each time the timeline is changed, Daniels becomes uglier and more deranged until he becomes Envoy. However, Vorgon Conclusions ruined that theory.

Now I am thinking that Daniels and Envoy are the same person from two separate future possibilities. At the start, Daniels came from the most probable future, but as the timeline changes, Envoy is coming from a more probable future until Daniels comes from the less probable future. The looks is just a way to have a visible representation of this.
  • Options
    gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    tacofangs wrote: »

So, um . . . can you be a little less vague? What exactly do you think should be change:pensive:

Sure! Daniels and Archer could be on board (somewhere) while you're doing your thing. Keep in mind that because science, Time Traveling Daniels might be in multiple places on the J at the same moment.

My observations on the J

The registry is kinda strech on the side of the saucer, seems to be too big, and the curve of the letters too pronounced. The borders of the saucer are on the thin side, they seems to be more rounded on the original. The aztec paneling need a different kind of normal mapping perhaps? as when the sun reflects on the hull, looks a little plain.

Thats my observations so far, love this ship and i love your work Taco, please take my observations on the positive side :
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

I put it down to Temporal Radiation. Note how he never talks about what's happening to him, he must have some device on him that's being affected by the sudden time changes and it's hurting him.

That or he's part Iconian. dino3-11.gif​​

I originally put it down to that Envoy is Future Daniels in The Core of the Matter mission. Each time the timeline is changed, Daniels becomes uglier and more deranged until he becomes Envoy. However, Vorgon Conclusions ruined that theory.

Now I am thinking that Daniels and Envoy are the same person from two separate future possibilities. At the start, Daniels came from the most probable future, but as the timeline changes, Envoy is coming from a more probable future until Daniels comes from the less probable future. The looks is just a way to have a visible representation of this.

Spoilers for the rest of the TCW story, including the new ones in Future Proof:
    Actually, the Envoy is a massively disfigured Noye. Vorgon Conclusions begins to hint at it; Terminal Expanse provides further hints, until finally Temporal Reckoning goes out and say it.

A more likely theory about Daniels is that his active role at Procyon V causes him to sustain worse injuries as Noye gathers more allies and strengthens the TLF forces fighting in the battle... though why this undoes Noye's own disfiguration is beyond me. Alternatively, there are other battles behind the scenes causing these changes, battles caused or affected by the strengthening of the TLF.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options

well now, i didn't expect this topic to explode like it did (walk away for a day or two i suppose).:pensive:
    Offhand? i'm guessing it's keeping with the era's design ethos, but the Nacelles, more specifically where they're attached to the Pylons?

like thus: mhbwZqB.png

kiiinda just float there, like.. not very robust at all. I suppose there'd be some hand-wavy canon (or 'designer said so') reason involved... but, yeah:pensive:
    Like i said, for the design era that you guys are prolly working with the model itself checks out fine.. just how the nacelles look.. like they're sitting there, y'know?
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer

It does need some specific changes, like the addition of a universal commander slot, a universal lt slot that can use all specs, a 5/4 weapons loadout, and a 3k zen price tag. Oh and access to all fed hull materials. And an "I win" console that donates five dollars to @tacofangs ' checking account every time you click it.

SOLD!

well now, i didn't expect this topic to explode like it did (walk away for a day or two i suppose).:pensive:
    Offhand? i'm guessing it's keeping with the era's design ethos, but the Nacelles, more specifically where they're attached to the Pylons?

kiiinda just float there, like.. not very robust at all. I suppose there'd be some hand-wavy canon (or 'designer said so') reason involved... but, yeah:pensive:
    Like i said, for the design era that you guys are prolly working with the model itself checks out fine.. just how the nacelles look.. like they're sitting there, y'know?

Well, as you said, that's how it was originally designed. Doug wanted his design to challenge what you believed was feasible with the physics of a starship, which was exactly what the original 1701 did for 60's audiences who came from the Rocket Ships of Flash Gordon & Lost in Space.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User

SOLD!

Well, as you said, that's how it was originally designed. Doug wanted his design to challenge what you believed was feasible with the physics of a starship, which was exactly what the original 1701 did for 60's audiences who came from the Rocket Ships of Flash Gordon & Lost in Space.

Three words explain it all " Floating Iconian Tech"
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • Options
    "As the apex of individual biology is mental control over matter and energy, so the sign of the apex of technology is when stuff randomly hangs out near other stuff" - Star Trek technology progression. :p

Still fond of it - what would someone from the age of sail think (or imagine) a modern luxury liner as?

• Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

That's the point....cast aside the 'ape brain' and think bigger. Doug Drexler, as I do, would love to make a ship where the warp engine pods float, unattached, with the ship. I did a crude model in the 10 foreword section of the forums. The Iconians do that with their ships, they got a quarter million years in advancement.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016

That's the point....cast aside the 'ape brain' and think bigger. Doug Drexler, as I do, would love to make a ship where the warp engine pods float, unattached, with the ship. I did a crude model in the 10 foreword section of the forums. The Iconians do that with their ships, they got a quarter million years in advancement.

Okay, Casting aside the proverbial 'ape brain' for a moment. take a goood look at the iconian ships.. i'll make a counterpoint here.. the floaty parts? look as though they'd meet up with the rest of the ship like, they could dock or attach to the hull but they're already attached via the proverbial 'invisible wires'

some of their parts look as though they'd move and pivot according to the 'attitude' of the craft itself.
    Now, Drexler's design challenge is valid, but he also made it in a rush, had he -more time-, there would've been more refinement of any floating design elements.

Floating or no, things still need to.. "fit together" as it were.

Time leads to refinement, particularly when it comes to concepts. This is not "ape brain" thinking, but "creative mind" thinking, there's a slight difference in this circumstance, consider how many ships that have appeared throughout the star trek series that have had brief concepts vs more refined concepts..

To me the Ent-J is as much of a concept that needed(or needs) refinement as much as every single concept piece every Enterprise that has existed since Matt Jefferies first started to put together the USS Enterprise for Gene Roddenberry.
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    I can't fully explain why but I have always adored the J, I was near giddy getting to see it in game and would drop bank to fly one of my own.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    It has to do with the sphere builders getting new allies each time the battle of Procyon V happens. Originally, when its just the Sphere Builders and Krenim, he's fine. Then when the battle happens with the Nakhul involved, he gets injured a bit. Each successive ally the Envoy gets causes the battle to be tougher and causes that injury to get worse. Likewise, the Envoy (Noye) was probably injured in the original battle and each ally he got made his injuries less.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!