Options

Romulan Carrier

Comments

• Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    tom61sto wrote: »
    wardcalis wrote: »
    I don't get the stigma against dps. Personally I love blowing stuff up as a torp boat capt. I don't pvp though so anything outside of grav well for me is near useless.

If you want a new ship for Romulans, it'd almost have to be outside the DPS-and-only-DPS paradigm. When it comes to PvE DPS the Scimitar variants are monsters, so anything that is supposed to be DPS leaning needs to be comparable to it, and it was near game breaking when it came out. Considering how little buffed the Scim line was in the T6 version (compared to the buffs the T6 flagships of the other factions to their old T5 numbers), I think they're trying to back off from uber-DPS ships.

I could see something like a Kar'fi Battle Carrier (7 weapons, Lt. Comm and Lt. Tac, 3/4/4 consoles at fleet level) working, you'd loose out on DPS compared to a Scim, but still have some interesting fun tapping into Sci abilities at the commander rank and dual hangars to throw pets out of. Seeing how many Kar'fi are still around, and many being T5-U Fleet, it seems to still be a money-maker. I don't think a 6 weapon Vo'Quv or Jupiter variant going over nearly as well Rom side as a Kar'fi variant. I don't think they'd make a Dreadnought Carrier on the order of the JHDC or Xindi Narcine available as C-Store/Fleet, but those I think would sell even better if they went that route.

The Kar'fi visual bug, still needs to be fixed. :p
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    the game and, to a lesser extent romulan navy, has plenty of Tac TRIBBLE already. we're way overdue for something ELSE finally
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    wardcalis wrote: »
    I don't get the stigma against dps. Personally I love blowing stuff up as a torp boat capt. I don't pvp though so anything outside of grav well for me is near useless.

If you want a new ship for Romulans, it'd almost have to be outside the DPS-and-only-DPS paradigm. When it comes to PvE DPS the Scimitar variants are monsters, so anything that is supposed to be DPS leaning needs to be comparable to it, and it was near game breaking when it came out. Considering how little buffed the Scim line was in the T6 version (compared to the buffs the T6 flagships of the other factions to their old T5 numbers), I think they're trying to back off from uber-DPS ships.

I could see something like a Kar'fi Battle Carrier (7 weapons, Lt. Comm and Lt. Tac, 3/4/4 consoles at fleet level) working, you'd loose out on DPS compared to a Scim, but still have some interesting fun tapping into Sci abilities at the commander rank and dual hangars to throw pets out of. Seeing how many Kar'fi are still around, and many being T5-U Fleet, it seems to still be a money-maker. I don't think a 6 weapon Vo'Quv or Jupiter variant going over nearly as well Rom side as a Kar'fi variant. I don't think they'd make a Dreadnought Carrier on the order of the JHDC or Xindi Narcine available as C-Store/Fleet, but those I think would sell even better if they went that route.

It's a great disservice to those Kar'Fi users that the ship is half invisible due to texture issues. It's been this way for a very, very long time despite numerous ingame bug reporting and forum posting, complete with screencap evidence. But it's not a Fed issue, so it's not getting fixed, just like the T5 and T6 B'Rel not being able to use the T1 B'Rotlh skin. That problem has existed since the B'Rotlh came out with LOR.

In 2013.

It's not a Fed issue, so it's never getting fixed no matter what. Meanwhile, Feds bitched and whined about the early release state of the T6 Defiant and later got a Battle Cloak change out of it.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    its the same circular logic theyve had for years and even admitted happens... klingon ships dont make as much money so they make fewer klingon ships so they dont make as much money so they make fewer ships... Taco even admitted it happens but they flatly refuse to break that whirlpool circling the drain.

For economical concerns, the question is not the total volume of sales made on KDF ships, but the total volumes of sales per ship created. A KDF or a RR ship takes just as much effort as making a FED ship. The question is what ship does make more money for Cryptic?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    My dream warbird carrier would be a UNI commander. We need a science ship though, but war-birds are generally tactical so i imagine any carrier will be a TACT carrier.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    There will be a Romulan Carrier, but the bad news is , is that its a Lockbox ship. Its the unmodified original verison of the Narada (I forgot the class name), which comes with Kelvin Scorpions. I don't know if it will have the option of equipting some kind of Frigates or not.
  • Options
    lordgyor wrote: »
    There will be a Romulan Carrier, but the bad news is , is that its a Lockbox ship. Its the unmodified original verison of the Narada (I forgot the class name), which comes with Kelvin Scorpions. I don't know if it will have the option of equipting some kind of Frigates or not.

Did you read Countdown, by any chance? B)
    R E M A I N

• Options
    No, but I heard stuff through the grape vine.
  • Options
    No, but I heard stuff through the grape vine.

Yeah, because it's not. o:)
    R E M A I N

• Options
    All I know is that its a Romulan Intel Carrier with both a Intel Commander slot and a Lt. Temporal Slot, and a Battle Cloak, so it sounds pretty awesome.
  • Options
    All I know is that its a Romulan Intel Carrier with both a Intel Commander slot and a Lt. Temporal Slot, and a Battle Cloak, so it sounds pretty awesome.

It's production costs are prohibitive, but it's worth it. ;)
    R E M A I N

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I got it today. It looks really nice. It can use all the standard Romulan ship materials (including Upgrade and Veteran), plus has a new Kelvin Timeline material, which looks pretty sweet.
    No hull parts that could be exchanged (but that's rare for lockbox ships anyway).

The bridge is pretty cool, too, except you can't see the hull anywhere. But it has large windows. Would be a good view. :)
    Of course, in the end it's a ship interior and mostly useless as such.

It can use the Scimitar drones.
    I haven't done much yet with it, but it seems to work fine. The 4/2 weapon loadout allows you to arm it like a Klingon Bird of Prey, but the turn rate is of course not really there. Still it's sufficient to build it more around energy weapons (DBB or D(H)Cs) then I usually do for my Science-focused ships. And you got your 2 hangar bays, Romulan Cloak, Singularity Powers, and Intel Ship Powers, plus a Commander Science|Intel.

Should have been in the C-Store, of course, since there isn't really anything that makes it identifiable Kelvin Timeline and it could just be a regular Romulan Republic ship. I guess they needed a Romulan ship for the lockbox and the Narada was too big. Maybe they'll make a bit more money from it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    I got it today. It looks really nice. It can use all the standard Romulan ship materials (including Upgrade and Veteran), plus has a new Kelvin Timeline material, which looks pretty sweet.
    No hull parts that could be exchanged (but that's rare for lockbox ships anyway).

The bridge is pretty cool, too, except you can't see the hull anywhere. But it has large windows. Would be a good view. :)

I haven't done much yet with it, but it seems to work fine. The 4/2 weapon loadout allows you to arm it like a Klingon Bird of Prey, but the turn rate is of course not really there. Still it's sufficient to build it more around energy weapons (DBB or D(H)Cs) then I usually do for my Science-focused ships. And you got your 2 hangar bays, Romulan Cloak, Singularity Powers, and Intel Ship Powers, plus a Commander Science|Intel.

Should have been in the C-Store, of course, since there isn't really anything that makes it identifiable Kelvin Timeline and it could just be a regular Romulan Republic ship. I guess they needed a Romulan ship for the lockbox and the Narada was too big. Maybe they'll make a bit more money from it.

With abilities like this, it's production costs are jusifiably prohibitive. The Narada class, I suspect, is still in planning; and it's size is certainly within reason. >:)
    R E M A I N

• Options
    saw one outside Drozana... TRIBBLE huge! and its collision bubble is even more massive lol
    This things dwarfed the Gal-X behind it.
  • Options
    Suggestion, in the Lt. Temporal slot, go with Deconstruction Beam and Rapid Decay, the first a builder of Entropy and the Second is a consumer of Enthropy, that decreases the damage resistance of targets so both you, your pets, and your allies deal more damage.

And a Carrier that can load 2 hangars Scimatar Drones is awesome.
  • Options
    Suggestion, in the Lt. Temporal slot, go with Deconstruction Beam and Rapid Decay, the first a builder of Entropy and the Second is a consumer of Enthropy, that decreases the damage resistance of targets so both you, your pets, and your allies deal more damage.

And a Carrier that can load 2 hangars Scimatar Drones is awesome.

I prefer the idea of 12 Elite Scorpions, adding to the mix. >:)
    R E M A I N

• Options
    That might do more damage then the Drones, but I love that the Drones turn into all kinds of different ships, including borg probes, so its like having multiple frigates in one,
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    2 hangar bays full of Scimitar's drones is enticing. It's just so TRIBBLE this faction ship is tied to being a Lockbox ship and thus, 1 character per ship.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    Some pictures of the new Carrier.

grace_02_zps2usc1kiq.jpg

grace_25_zpsempeczns.jpg

And his bridge
    grace_bridge_07_zps1ul4vwly.jpg

grace_bridge_01_zpsqcqr9ea7.jpg

Some more in the Epic Screenshot Thread: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1045466/epic-screenshot-thread-is-epic
    And in this gallery: http://s883.photobucket.com/user/Mustrum_Ridcully/Romulan Carrier/story
  • Options
    The design is growing on me... but gods damn is it a big TRIBBLE
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    As said in another thread, there's the possibility we might get a Prime Timeline version of the T'Laru in the C-store later on down the line.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I got the carrier last night on my last key of this months zen purchase (I dedicated the whole lot to keys to try for the ship) and I do like it. I haven't brought it out in battle yet as I'm still working mastery on a few other ships. My only problem with it is that while I love the bridge, it's got 13+ chairs on it but only 3 BOffs. I wish each seat and station had a BOff at it, I've got more then enough to cover the areas!
  • Options

Faction Ships going into Lockboxes sets a bad precedent. The idea of that happening from now on in STO disturbs me way more than my dislike of JJ-Trek.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Faction Ships going into Lockboxes sets a bad precedent. The idea of that happening from now on in STO disturbs me way more than my dislike of JJ-Trek.
    I'll let it pass this time because alternate timeline/universe and they needed a ship for each faction. Still, had it to be the ship type that the Romulans had been missing the entire time? (On the other hand, better having some difficult-to-get option then none at all.)
    But it would really be bad if they now habitually find such excuses. (Oh, look, the Kelvin Mirror timeline! Oh, the Borg-Assimalted-Earth Timeline. The Worf is married to Deanna Timeline! The Alexander Roschenko time travels in the past to save his father origin timeline! The Bashirs-Augmented-Help-The-Dominion-To-Win-The_War timeline)

At least there is now a Tier 6 C-Store Science Vessel for the Romulans. Would have been better if it could actually made to be look Romulan, though, since I am not really making KDF or RR characters to fly generic space ships. (I don't count these ships as Federation either. Too far removed the baseline. Even if you take into account something like the Defiant)
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    Nice to see a new Romulan bridge , although it doesn't look to be of the same level quality as the other 3 bridges.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    May have to start grabbing it and its set pieces off the exchange. It looks really nifty
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I agree. While I think it's bogus for it to be the missing Romulan (Or the other factions) ship type. I know I'd have been livid if it was the long desired and awaited Klingon T6 Carrier. I'm giving them a pass as well on this lock box in regards to it being faction ships. These aren't prime ships, they are alternate reality ships. Hopefully we'll get prime equivalents soon enough in the C-store. And maybe the Klingon T6 Carrier......
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I'd be fine with a T6 Atrox/Vo'Quv/Prime Universe T'Laru 3-pack.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    I really wanted a Romulan Carrier ever since LoR launched, but the way they made this lockbox assured that the prices for the KDF and the Romulan ships are ridiculous, lower population, lower generated ship numbers. Last time I checked you could get two Vonphs and would have a hundred million ec left for the price of the T'Laru. :'(