test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

After 50 Lockboxes, I'm Done; Keep Your Ship...

13»

Comments

• Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    highlord83 wrote: »
    In the case the Kelvin box though, PWE knew full damned well how desired the Connie would be, and deliberately put it behind the gambling wall so they could sell more keys
    And what's wrong about this?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    In the case the Kelvin box though, PWE knew full damned well how desired the Connie would be, and deliberately put it behind the gambling wall so they could sell more keys

From a soulless TRIBBLE business perspective? Nothing at all.

From a paying customer perspective? It's a dirty, syphilitic, high-pressure douchenozzle move.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • Options
    genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    If i want the ships i will grind the ec for them , thas if they ever go to the exchange so far i havent even seen the KT rom or the KT klingons ship, let alon the connie or vengeance on the exchange.

Unfortunately all the good or even moderate ways of earning EC in-game have been nerfed over time to the point of 3 months of EC grinding to buy a top tier ship will now take about 6-9 months depending on play time. I think the best way now is crafting, but you need a pile of refined ore to get it epic quality and requires an element of luck to get the best stats.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Because how dare the people entertaining me want to make money doing it.

• Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

From a soulless **** business perspective? Nothing at all.

From a paying customer perspective? It's a dirty, syphilitic, high-pressure douchenozzle move.
    It is absolutely nothing like what you say it is. This lockbox keeps with the precedent set by the previous lockboxes. If you have any legitimately objective points to make, please do so.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    The real question is, are any of these ships worth the cost of the keys needed to open the requisite number of boxes?

What would make it more worthwhile would be if in getting a lockbox ship it becomes claimable in the reputation section in the same way that event ships are. Because there's no way I'm going to spend a shedload of Zen on a ship for one character. On the other hand, if it became available on all of my toons I'd seriously consider it.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    The best way to look at it is that lockboxes are lobi-boxes with an extra. Seeing them as a way to getting a ship in and of itself is going to be a disappointment.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    baronvlad#7057 baronvlad Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    @meimeitoo said:

> Which doesn't invalidate my "Because ppl are willing to open hundreds of lockboxes instead, is why" comment at all: it just explains the why.

My apologies I wasn't trying to invalidate that people are willing to open lockboxes, I was replying to your describing them as naive. Most of those people know exactly what they are doing and how small their chances of succeeding are.

The ones that are naive are the ones that assume that they are entitled to win the prize if they open "X" number of boxes and then scream bloody murder when it doesn't happen. (and I'm not referring to the OP. He seems pretty rational compared to other lockbox complaints made over the years.)
  • Options
    > @highlord83 said:
    > Has nothing to do with whining or risk. I open a few boxes, whichever ones I have on hand, whenever I buy Zen. Just to see what I get with a roll of the dice.
    >
    > In the case the Kelvin box though, PWE knew full damned well how desired the Connie would be, and deliberately put it behind the gambling wall so they could sell more keys. Call me oldschool, but I firmly hold that content in games should be accessible, and enable a game to be sold and thrive on it's own merits.

Sadly those days have passed after the online gaming industry learned they could make money hand over fist with gamble boxes.

Personally I hope the old days return, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    ...53 boxes?? When I use my current set of keys, I'll have opened >1000 boxes. I'm not even going to be opening Kelvin boxes yet; the Xindi Terrestrial boxes had the most items I wanted of any type, so it's going to be Xindi Amphibious this time. IF i get a ship, it's gravy, otherwise I just do it for the lottery anticipation value; lock boxes are like a box of chocolates, a guilty pleasure where you never know what you'll get. BTW after this group, I'll have >2100 Lobi, so I can easily afford the Kelvin variants for my KDF/Rom 'toons. B)
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    knightheart2knightheart2 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    Unless you're ridiculously lucky you won't get a ship after 200 boxes.
    I had twenty keys, got the ship with key nineteen.

• Options

Which by definition makes you ridiculously lucky considering how crappy the odds are to win one.
  • Options
    knightheart2knightheart2 Member Posts: 35 Arc User

Which by definition makes you ridiculously lucky considering how crappy the odds are to win one.

Sometimes, I was in it for the lobi.

• Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I opened one box, did not the ship, I think I need to start a doom and complain thread too.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator