test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

why was this expansion so small?

if im counting right, this entire expansion only came with 10 missions and 2 queues.

the last 2 expansion came with over 20 missions each, and several queues.

i know this expansion also included ships and skills, but so did the last 2 expansions.

so why is this expansion so small compared to the others?

are expansions just going to keep getting smaller and smaller until they only add 1 mission?

Comments

• Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    becasue it was more of a new season but they called it expansion because of 50th anniversary thing. also it came really soon. not long after delta thing.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Because it's a more of a half-season and a recruiting event tied into the release of a new lockbox, and sprinkled with some blog posts.

You all need to get Trendy or someone to write a definitive glossary on what season, half-season, expansion, recruiting event, content update, patch, and system redesign are in terms of the free content they release really is so everyone can keep track of and properly score Cryptic at home.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    It's too big to just be a regular season, so they've called it an expansion instead.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    to give a slightly different answer... probably because cryptic had to spend vast amounts of time on the back end for all the 23c SFX and GFX for those 6 missions
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,870 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    ashrod63 wrote: »
    It's too big to just be a regular season, so they've called it an expansion instead.

It's pretty much this. You won't get an answer here about dev scheduling but, however you slice it, this is the reason AOY is called an expansion.

It is worth noting (to engage with some wild internet speculation) that we've been getting a lot of missions associated with normal season releases. Delta Rising was proceeded by just four missions (Dyson arc) spaced variously in seasons 8 and 9 while LoR had one (Temporal Ambassador) through seasons 6 and 7. In a comparable period (ie. the two seasons leading up to the expansion) AOY was preceded by twelve missions. Presumably cryptic mission designers were probably working on stuff through the droughts between LOR and DR but, presumably, the product of that work hit in large lumps. Lately we've been getting a steady stream.

It may fair to say AOY's relative length (counting patrols and recycled PVE's as missions) could be the result of some redistribution, which I don't see as being a significant thing to complain about. Current you has less to ogle, but past you and future you had/will have more. You can fight among yourself about who's most important, but in any case we're getting plenty of stuff to keep busy with.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I personally don't think it's too small per se. A lot of work went into it - I just don't understand why all the work gets dropped after the tutorial with no way to return to the 23c sector space, ESD and some free form missions. All the TOS work and effort and after level 10 poof, it just ends and never comes around again.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I personally don't think it's too small per se. A lot of work went into it - I just don't understand why all the work gets dropped after the tutorial with no way to return to the 23c sector space, ESD and some free form missions. All the TOS work and effort and after level 10 poof, it just ends and never comes around again.

Agreed on that one. If they would have only kept the 23c social zone accessible and maybe skipped half of the Klingon war ark in favor of let’s say 4 more tos missions none of these discussions would have formed. At least they didn’t send us on patrol duty like they did when they felt the need to stretch the delta arc.

Other than that I really don’t think with a new primary spec, new rep and a dozen new ships in addition to the missions this expansion is necessarily small compared to what we got in the past.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    Maybe the servers could not handle anymore....
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    A season doesn't usually include a giant pack of themed ships, a new UI skin, new visuals and sound effects, and a recruitment event all at once. It was too much "stuff" to just be called a season.
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    As I have been running through with my new AoY character... I;ve noticed that they also did work on older missions, marrying them with the new AoY characters... Such as Noye in "Temporal Ambassador".
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    As I have been running through with my new AoY character... I;ve noticed that they also did work on older missions, marrying them with the new AoY characters... Such as Noye in "Temporal Ambassador".

They also tied your future missions like Night of the Comet back into your character during the new TOS missions.
  • Options
    sadorsador Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    It seems small until you consider that they added a TON of voice work. All the new missions are largely VOed and a lot of the older ones that I haven't done in a while are as well.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    All being done in parallel with the lighting revamp and new UI development.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Am I really the only one who loved the DR patrol missions?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    I liked them too.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Am I really the only one who loved the DR patrol missions?

Probably not. That being said, the Klingon and Romulan playerbase is larger than the pool of players that liked the patrol missions.

I have been putting off doing the Delta arc on my AoY character because it's best described as "soul crushing", and I've replayed all the other arcs alot over the years do to various promotional events going on.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Another thing to consider is the size of the ships you're all in.

I fly my tiny tiny Daedalus around in this expansion and even though the map is just 23rd century Federation map (which is much much smaller as well) it all seems so BIG. So very very big in my tiny tiny ship! But you all in your Vengeance Class monstrosity's, your Herald whosie whatsits, your Krenim Star Destroyers and your Enterprise J B-Bakas shooting Tox Uthat beams at entire spheres? OF COURSE the expansion looks tiny!

It's time to pare down. And explore the galaxy like me, in a small little ball of adventure chugging your way through the galaxy with barely enough warp drive to get you to the next star!

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    binebane wrote: »
    becasue it was more of a new season but they called it expansion because of 50th anniversary thing. also it came really soon. not long after delta thing.
    k

According to one of the articles that I read PE/Cryptic was also looking at this "expansion" as potentially another game but that "they" decided to go this route instead. I'm not sure how true that is but it also leaves me wondering especially when you think that half of the stuff you got was already in game.

Now before you trolls tear into me, I LOVE STO and have had a blast with the new stuff. My complaint isn't that this was small but that it was so good it has me hungry for more. Nice Job PE/Cryptic!

I may even have to play Klink if/when they come out with the 23rd century Klingon version of AOY.

LLAP

• Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Hey hey hey, just be glad, they could of added filler patrol missions like Delta Rising *gags* though would of been nice to have more time in the 23 century map.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    This is my opinion...I'm not bashing the developers when I post this...but...I think the scope of this latest expansion is the result of the complexity of creating new content coupled with the limited number of developers. It's just that simple. I'm grateful to get anything new and I play Klingon predominately. I'm even glad to see new Federation and Romulan content. Any new content means the game is expanding. If your only expectation is that, over time, they will come out with new content...then you will never be disappointed.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,870 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    It didn't NEED to be big.

The only ones who notice/know that this expansion is 'small' are the existing playerbase. And we're not who this aimed at.

New players won't know, or care, that this expansion isn't as large as previous ones; they have no basis for compairison. And THEY are who this is all aimed at - new players, attracted by the promtional material, JJ-Trek input and 50th anniversary emphasis.

Even for existing players, not padding out the run-time with arbitrary grinds can be a VERY good thing.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    I wouldn't be surprised if they originally had intended to do all three factions but were told they had to put the game out before the new movie released.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    I would love for them to develop more 23c missions,episodes, etc, I really enjoyed the content.
  • Options
    bobogheimbobogheim Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    I think that we will see more episodes about Noye:s allies and Sphere Builders.

We will see more about Admiral Leeta from the Terran Empire and her friends together with Na'khul and Vorgon.

We have Gamma quadrant left to explore and there will be a new story arc for that part.

There are plans I think to release a special episode for the 50th anniversary when the first Original Series episode launched for the first time in September.

We are going to get Enterprise J as an reward when you complete an episode and it will be like Temporal Ambassador. No lock box for Enterprise J and not either C-store.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Maybe they will also remake the Mine Trap PVE Queue to a five person one, so that we experience the Salt Vampires that was in the originally AIRED first episode 'The Man Trap'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    I think AoY is so small because there will be more things added to the game as we get closer to the 50th anniversary.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    ktonof1aq wrote: »
    I may even have to play Klink if/when they come out with the 23rd century Klingon version of AOY.

LLAP

how do people maintain that level of optimism when confronted with cryptic's constant bashing of any ideas that might add more to Klinks and Roms?
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    ktonof1aq wrote: »

LLAP

how do people maintain that level of optimism when confronted with cryptic's constant bashing of any ideas that might add more to Klinks and Roms?

naivety? or they are assuming the stated reasons are more of a factor then the unstated ones.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.