test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Marks... Marks... and more Marks.

anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
We've discussed this before... Several times in fact: The Marks.

Us "STO Oldtimers", from pre-F2P all remember the medals we got from exploring nebula clusters, that were eventually replaced by Dilithium because it was simply a mess...

Now we have 9 rep mark systems + fleet marks, and eventually the question has to be raised again: Are there too many?

My answer - ironically - is both yes and no.

See the thing is: Cryptic naturally wants to draw attention to new queued content, and no... They can never make the better content every time... Quite simply: Everyone has different taste and you can't hit the nail on the head every time...

For example: I hate Mine-trap... It's an aweful map with a bad story and a bad villan... yet, often I see people asking for when it comes back... Some people like it... Me... I did not even notice it was gone until about 3 months after it was remved.

So my solution is to make a "transition period"...

Release a mark type with a given season / expansion, and then leave it in there for 3-6 months. Once the 3-6 months are over, convert the systems that use these marks into a "overall" mark system, sort of a "shared pool" of generic marks that can be used with all but the newest rep system.

That way, you can earn marks, Cryptic gets attention for their new stuff and those who don't like the new missions can focus on just doing a few missions that allows them to collect the special items required for elite gear, and nothing more, because they can farm their marks from any mission giving marks.

Is this a solution? Is there are better one? is there none?

Edit: Forgot: My idea here still requires people to run the associated missions to get the "special" items for the elite gear.
Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
Post edited by anazonda on

Comments

• Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    More mark systems is better. I am against any move that make reputation marks more fungible.

Buy marks.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    I think this would be a great solution. In fact it helps a lot because the older queues are so completly dead that any new character will never be able to get all the darn marks for certain reps because there simply isn't enough popping queues to do so. If they insist on wanting to keep people in older queues (which is a joke because no one is doing them anymore anyway), the Advanced Marks can still only be gotten in queues, but when they're made older you can start getting them in the basic version too.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    More mark systems is better. I am against any move that make reputation marks more fungible.

Buy marks.

Any reasoning behind this, or is it just "to be opposite"?
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    onetontoadonetontoad Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    Maybe turn it into one mark type overall but the new content gives more...like maybe 150 opposed to old content 50?,I dunno..
    mc7SA5g.jpg
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    anazonda wrote: »

Buy marks.

Any reasoning behind this, or is it just to "be opposite"?

I believe if a reputation matters to you, you should work for it. More variety means more build options and reflects better actual effort put into the game.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options

Buy marks.

Any reasoning behind this, or is it just to "be opposite"?

I believe if a reputation matters to you, you should work for it. More variety means more build options and reflects better actual effort put into the game.

That makes sense, I guess...
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2016
    I agree with the OP. I saw the temporal rep would overlay the summer event. And assumed cryptic would include the temporal marks in with the Risian birds and monkey turn ins. So I made sure I had enough to get all 8 toons through the rep. So I don't have to touch the new content unless I want to. But seeing as how some of the queues are so empty a lot of the time. Then the OP'S suggestions might not be so bad. But on the other hand it would mean people ran the easy queues and ignored the harder ones. Which means that even fewer players would be likely to queue for certain missions.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    Solution to what? I don't see a problem in your post that you're trying to solve. I also don't see a problem with the current system. The biggest issue I suppose is that for new players it's very overwhelming. But that wouldn't really change if there was just 1 mark system, they'd still have all those reps to fill and all the marks to obtain.

• Options
    tempus64 wrote: »
    Solution to what? I don't see a problem in your post that you're trying to solve. I also don't see a problem with the current system. The biggest issue I suppose is that for new players it's very overwhelming. But that wouldn't really change if there was just 1 mark system, they'd still have all those reps to fill and all the marks to obtain.

The problem - From my point of view of cause - is that we are gradually getting more and more of these marks, that you can only use for one type of gear.
    Cryptic originally removed a similar system a long time ago, because of this very issue, and it became relatively frustrating for everyone in the long run.

I think we had 12 different kinds of medals (the equivalent of maks in this conversation) back then, and eventually Cryptic just got rid of it in favor of dilithium.

But basically I am re-opening the conversation on, if this is in fact an annoyance or as you suggest not an issue at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    sqwished wrote: »
    I agree with the OP. I saw the temporal rep would overlay the summer event. And assumed cryptic would include the temporal marks in with the Risian birds and monkey turn ins. So I made sure I had enough to get all 8 toons through the rep. So I don't have to touch the new content unless I want to. But seeing as how some of the queues are so empty a lot of the time. Then the OP'S suggestions might not be so bad. But on the other hand it would mean people ran the easy queues and ignored the harder ones. Which means that even fewer players would be likely to queue for certain missions.

Maybe... My suggestion did involve the need to run the "base mission" to get the thingies... Or wait...

Na just scrolled up... Seems I forgot to include that part. Sorry.
  • Options
    tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    Well it is getting a bit much for my taste. Think its only a matter of time before they replace it with some universal thing like they did with boxes. perhaps once they figure out how to rework the queue system because this one isn't working out that well.
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User

The problem - From my point of view of cause - is that we are gradually getting more and more of these marks, that you can only use for one type of gear.
    Cryptic originally removed a similar system a long time ago, because of this very issue, and it became relatively frustrating for everyone in the long run.

I think we had 12 different kinds of medals (the equivalent of maks in this conversation) back then, and eventually Cryptic just got rid of it in favor of dilithium.

But basically I am re-opening the conversation on, if this is in fact an annoyance or as you suggest not an issue at all.

Thing is, I don't really see the "marks" as any sort of issue. All the reps (with all that unique equipment) is the real problem. Think about it from a new players perspective. You hit level 50 and you're suddenly looking at this mountain of work to grind through. I haven't been around all that long, just over a year now, and there's been 2 new reps added since then. It's just too much. Having 1 mark system doesn't resolve that particular issue. You could have all the queues let you choose which marks you wanted instead of having 1 mark system. But again, that doesn't really fix the real problem.
  • Options
    Thing is, I don't really see the "marks" as any sort of issue. All the reps (with all that unique equipment) is the real problem. Think about it from a new players perspective. You hit level 50 and you're suddenly looking at this mountain of work to grind through. I haven't been around all that long, just over a year now, and there's been 2 new reps added since then. It's just too much. Having 1 mark system doesn't resolve that particular issue. You could have all the queues let you choose which marks you wanted instead of having 1 mark system. But again, that doesn't really fix the real problem.

I think this is actually worth a thread on it's own?

It presents a whole different aspect of the issue, that I have actually never considered, and it could be fun to see what solutions people come up with?

If you decide to make a thread on it, be sure to toss me the link ok?
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Old Marks and Reputation Marks are two completely different things so there is no comparison. The reason why Cryptic removed the Old Marks was that there was far too many Marks of Exploration, Marks of Honor, etc. Getting Marks of Exploration Mk I and find out that they are useless because you outlevelled them. Universal Marks would make certain content empty. Why bother with running an STF or do the Defera Adventure Zone when you can just raise Epohhs for Task Force Omega and any other Reputation. Epohhs give 400 Mark per Elder and run all year long while Birds, Monkeys, and Winter Epohhs give 100 Marks or less and are only available for a limited time.
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    Old Marks and Reputation Marks are two completely different things so there is no comparison. The reason why Cryptic removed the Old Marks was that there was far too many Marks of Exploration, Marks of Honor, etc. Getting Marks of Exploration Mk I and find out that they are useless because you outlevelled them. Universal Marks would make certain content empty. Why bother with running an STF or do the Defera Adventure Zone when you can just raise Epohhs for Task Force Omega and any other Reputation. Epohhs give 400 Mark per Elder and run all year long while Birds, Monkeys, and Winter Epohhs give 100 Marks or less and are only available for a limited time.

I disagree...

It would have been simpler for Cryptic to just create a leveling store, than to replace the entire system back then, but they specifically said that it was because there were too many currencies (among others, just like the one you mentioned).
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    The biggest issue by far with having "one mark to rule them all" is that the system would be abused to get the rewards, so people would gravitate towards the path of least resistance.
    In this case it would probably end up with people doing endless runs of ISA and CCA to farm marks for other reps because they can't be bothered with the new content because it "takes too long".
    You can already see this happening every day in STO, people don't play CSA anything like as much as ISA, because in ISA they get their daily box in 2 mins with little effort required.

I think having a generic mark is just going to end up with a proportion of the players ignoring content to go the easy route. Which is a shame because some missions deserve attention. So cryptic has to use a bit of a complex way to get you to play all content.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I'm not a big fan of the multiple reputation currencies if there isn't a variety of ways to earn said currencies.

You're more or less chained to the rest of the playerbase and their desire for the newest/easiest-to-earn marks, which means certain marks become harder to acquire if players aren't running particular queued events for said marks.

Cryptic has helped address this by adding Temporal Marks and Chroniton Buffers to the Badlands battlezone, but there are certain types of currency that are only reliably acquired by doing Borg Disconnected ad nauseum.

Mostly Delta Marks and Dyson Marks. Bug Hunt is touch-and-go with queued players, and the Dyson Sphere ground battlezone is a victim of powercreep, having not been updated to current meta standards.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The marks represent favors a particular group owes you. They should most definitely be separate.

Even the "choice of marks" should be removed except for special event rewards. It makes no sense. If a particular mission fits under multiple groups' jurisdiction, the marks should be divided among them, not have players choose after-the-fact which group it was for.

And if there is a chance to get different type of special items, they should be given randomly, not let players choose after-the-fact what loot they've found. That doesn't make any sense either.

There is no such thing as too many mark types. At most they would need to give them a separate tab in te resource window to avoid clutter.

The generalization of queue rewards is responsible for the current situation in which only a few queues are actively played. Queues should have more diverse range of rewards, not less. Players should be strongly encouraged to play different Queues, not just whatever happens to be the fastest to finish.

• Options
    starkaos wrote: »

I disagree...

It would have been simpler for Cryptic to just create a leveling store, than to replace the entire system back then, but they specifically said that it was because there were too many currencies (among others, just like the one you mentioned).

They introduced Emblems just before Dilithium so it could have been made into the universal mark, but Cryptic wanted to make an economy with Dilithium and this is what we got.
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    Well I was thinking that maybe like with the old lock boxes being merged together, old marksor even reputations should be merged together. Clearly there are way too many but they're not going to stop adding because it is great for new content. And if that is the case, let's just retire old reputation systems. The items you get from them can be built into the game in other ways. For example;

1. Sets turned into mission rewards (like for recent FEs, replay the mission for the whole set)
    2. Traits released from kill accolades (an accolade revamp has been mentioned)
    3. Generic items from zone specific vendors (want all those Romulan plasma arrays, grab them only from New Romulus)
    4. Kits and other small items linked to smaller missions (daily or side quests on Kobali or Defera now offering special items as a bonus)

Of course players who have maxed out current reputation should be compensated in some way - e.g. discount at the new vendors or something. But for new players it would certainly look a lot less daunting!
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I do kinda in a way agree that we are both getting to where we have too many stf ques, as well as too many reputations that have little use at times. Though I am not sure about making a universal mark type, would be the best idea overall. though if they did make a universal mark it should be made up of all of the older mark we have access to like Omega to dyson an undine. Than if you made it that when they add two or three new reps another of the older reps is added to this universal mark-pool.

To me we should be looking at how to make an keep these older reps more relevant, and how to make them into content we can enjoy, while also using them to steer people to visit more of the content we have as well. Thing like getting updates to the older reps that might be new tiers we can complete going thru the newer rep-stfs we have for them, new projects that we could unlock, as well as new story-missions that tie into these reps showing what has been happening with them since we last did them. I mean are you going to tell me nothing has been happening with the Omega rep an their fight with the borg. that they have not been monitoring the borg all this time. I could see also there being missions you collect from the reps that has you do specific stfs that you gain additional rep marks (normal and elite), while also having additional rewards you have a chance of getting like vanity items or even doffs an very small chance of a ship/s too.

I would also say we should trim down the amount of available ques we have up on the public que, and then alternate thru a list of 12 ques that are actively in the public que system on a weekly or bi-weekly schedule. If you make sure that we have at least one stf for each rep, and a que for both ground an space missions, than players will have more of a chance to play thru more of the ques by the sheer fact of taking away the draw of quick easy grinding ques like Infect space. Though also a rework to the reward payout of the ques would be nice to make sure that they pay more reasonably to keep up pace witht he other ques that are more difficult, and lengthy to do yet pay equal or slightly higher payouts than the much faster grinding ques such as cca or infected space, as than you could make these more reasonable to do in the eyes of some players that see the time to reward payout as unreasonable.
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    I wish they would just go to a universal mark system. One mark to rule them all. I would see why they wouldn't do it but it's a pita to efficiently get certain marks. Iconian, I'm looking at you. At least I haven't figured out an efficient way to get them.
  • Options
    I will agree some of the marks could use better non-stf methods of gaining them, such as the Iconian marks. Which i think with a change to the Kobali prime battle zone to have a few other activities that you could get some Iconian marks from. or even a form of multi-area scavenger hunt type mission that you could find scatted Iconian tech thru out the different quadrants. Like that you could find Iconian tech on/in the many battle grounds of the different reps, and thru acquiring them you get a few marks for doing that an getting marks for other reps.
  • Options
    saedeith wrote: »
    I wish they would just go to a universal mark system. One mark to rule them all. I would see why they wouldn't do it but it's a pita to efficiently get certain marks. Iconian, I'm looking at you. At least I haven't figured out an efficient way to get them.

It is a great time to get Iconian and Delta Marks with the Summer Event and trading in Birds and Monkeys. Doing 1 Artifact Hunt during the event and 1 Horga'hn Hunt per day gives you enough Favors to get 1 Bird Egg per day which amounts to 60 or 100 marks of your choice including the new Temporal Marks. Then there is the 40 Marks per day from running the Flying High mission after you get the Summer ship. Then just get the 60+ marks per day from running the two missions on Kobali Prime.
  • Options
    tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    I think it would be nice to link the reputation and the specialization systems together somehow, in a similar fashion to the way Command/Intel/Temporal kit modules work. That way the currency becomes the most abundant thing in the game. XP; and of course dilithium.

This way you can grind up the reputations doing any content you so choose but the rate is limited by how fast you can reach a particular level, rather than a fixed time gate.
    As the whole idea of reputation is seemingly one way (unlike in say EvE online) the idea of growing and developing your character's transferable skills, seems perfectly logical in that sense.

You could then also leave in the "elite" level items as part of the cost, available only from the specific STF content or with the current mark to item conversion mechanism. They could also make these items purchasable through the C Store/Exchange or for a specific amount of Lobi Crystals.

• Options
    I kinda liked the idea of a patron type system almost like how in wow they had rep tabards that would give you rep-points with the rep of that tabard over any other type you might get otherwise. Not sure if that would work here, that you align with a certain rep at a cost of some kind, and for a certain period of time you gain an amount of marks for completing content an missions. There might need to be other limitations on such a system, but could help abit too.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    It doesn't help the cause in that they seemed to have pulled the Temporal Mauraders Red Alert without so much as a mention in the Patch Notes. Good source for all types of Marks.

A few weeks ago during the Crystalline Event I had my last Delta Recruit level up all eight (at the time) Reputations at once. Was Sponsored and did it in about 20 or so days.

Between the Crystalline Event, the Na'Kuhl Red Alert, Tholian Red Alert, Borg Red Alert, and Kobali Ground, there are plenty of sources to get more than enough Marks of all types to level fairly quickly. Sadly, some of those sources are gone.

Battlezones are good for the Marks and Elite Marks as well. Defera Ground for the Omega Elite.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User
    saedeith wrote: »
    kobali ground 60 a day. and it's5 or 10 after that.. and you can get 30 through nakul red alerts
    We Want Vic Fontaine