test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to improve the red faction

garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
Delta Klingons ,KDF and Borg Cooperative creating a alliance 3 homeworld's. have Special ships and items based on delta-quadrant and borg tech. Cooperative Humans ,Roms ,Andorians ... can be created ...

Best Answer

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    I think what would help is to redefine the place of Orions. Obviously they're better than Klingons and should be in charge of the Empire. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Answers

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    800x640px-red-faction-369756.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I think the first step needs to be a fundamental one and not just doing stuff because it sounds like it might be a good idea. This step of course is to give Klingons a proper education. We know they're destined to join the Federation, so clearly this step will happen at some point in the future. Preferably it will be near future and not distant future.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I think the first step needs to be a fundamental one and not just doing stuff because it sounds like it might be a good idea. This step of course is to give Klingons a proper education. We know they're destined to join the Federation, so clearly this step will happen at some point in the future. Preferably it will be near future and not distant future.

in the mission Time and Tide was mentioned after the Federation that we know ,there will be a larger (something something) Federation and then the galactic allience. maybe the step that i have suggested can lead to that.

we know that the devs want to do a borg expansion. why not hitting the goal with a big red faction revamp/expansion

for the game more players would play the red faction. would lead to more content for the faction.

Post edited by garaks31 on
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »

in the mission Time and Tide was mentioned after the Federation that we know ,there will be a larger (something something) Federation and then the galactic allience. maybe the step that i have suggested can lead to this.

we know that the devs want to do a borg expansion. why not hitting the goal with a big red faction revamp/expansion

for the game more players would play the red faction. would lead to more content for the faction.

because that goes against the nearly stated goal of removing all uniqueness form said faction while driving away the unwanted players of said faction.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    Change the Advanced Orion Slaver hanger pet so that has a small chance of rewarding lobi instead of contraband.

That way more people create a KDF alt and spend money to buy the T4 Corsair Flight-Deck Cruiser that, I think, unlocks the usage of Orion Slaver hanger pets and its variants.

KDF metrics improve and KDF faction becomes more than just something to be ignored by the developers.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Well, we already have a Ferengi DOFF that rewards GPL on ground kills. Why not have another that rewards Lobi?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    and/or give the kdf some t5 lobi ships&shuttles as acc. unlocks
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    Ending the faction division.

I know a ton of hardcore Klingon players would hate that. I understand and sympathize. But I'm speaking for myself and myself alone here - what could be done to improve my personal experience of the Klingon faction.

I have, over the course of my time in STO, mained characters from all three factions, and I would love to go back and play my KDF character more often. She's awesome! She'll be more awesome when they release a T6 version of her favorite ship (being a character from the launch era, she flew the Vo'quv), but... well, honestly, right now, I'm not sure I'd buy the T6 Vo'quv.

My home is Fedside. The little fleet I run is Fedside. The hundreds of hours I've sunken into that fleet are all Fedside. My social circle is Fedside. And logging in as Molni means not working on or with any of that.

End the faction split, I can add her and other KDF characters to my fleet and talk in Armada chat and it'll be great. Otherwise, she'll keep gathering dust.

My life gets better if the faction split ends. Others might have the opposite experience. But I am saying what, from a purely selfish perspective, I want to see happen.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Dump it, FED for Life.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    This will never happen. KDF will always be kicked to the curb. Al Rivera hates the KDF and seems to take every opportunity to remind us that we (the KDF) don't matter, and can collectively go to hell.

It's Cryptic's treatment of the KDF (and Romulans for that matter) that really sours my view of the franchise.

• Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    If they wanted to try and salvage KDF side, they wouldn't have intentionally spent the better part of a year on an expansion that only FEDs can access.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    800x640px-red-faction-369756.jpg

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    pmadi32382pmadi32382 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    The whole argument of, there aren't enough KDF or ROM players to justify the cost to flesh out their factions has always struck me as a catch-22.
    There aren't enough players to justify the costs of adding ships and a full faction specific story. But then you aren't going to get more players for those factions, because you haven't added the content.

And that is how the game was setup from the start. I think you even had to play a FED character up to level 10 before you could even create a KDF character, from what I remember.

You're never going to get more KDF/ROM players without the content to support that and make it worthwhile to those players that strictly want to play those factions. And you're never going to get the complete factions/content like you do with the FED side, until there is a player base to support it.

Beyond that, Star Trek as a franchise is almost completely Starfleet/UFP centric. I think I recall a game here or there that focused on the Klingons, but that was it. So, given that most people's experience with the franchise is through watching the television shows and movies, and that media is almost completely based on Starfleet, it also then makes sense that this platform would follow that.

You have the option to play as the two minor factions (and I do, often), but they will minor at best. The alternative is to wait for PWE to throw a bunch of money at these minor factions and hope the player base follows. But I would say, having waited 6 years for that is proof it probably isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I almost would rather see the KDF faction and Rom mini-faction combine into a single full on faction together. Such as part of a storyline of them dealing with a rising enemy that they both have dealings with in some capacity, maybe a return of the Hurq/Fel'ki thru the backyard of the Romulan republic space prior to heading towards KDF worlds. If we want more content an focus on these factions, then a consolidation of the population needs to happen. I mean if we say that 75-80% of the playerbase is fed, with the remainder being a combination of KDF an Rom consolidating them into fully having 20% not split might warrant more attention (an more people maybe looking at crossing over).
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    While I would like to have new content that specific to the KDF faction, everyone knows that will not happen. Therefore, I have a different idea...

Run an event called "The Klingon Military Expansion" for a month. During that time all accounts will get a free slot specifically for creating a KDF captain. If the slot remains unused after the event then it gets deleted after the month is over. There will be no new content or spin on existing story mission. This is simply a KDF recruitment event. The KDF captain plays like any other KDF captain until he /she reaches level 50 and has also completed the Breen Invasion story arc at which point the character will be given rewards. Only a KDF captain created with this specific slot can get the rewards. Any other KDF character created during the month long event will not receive any of the rewards.

The premise of the reward could basically be part of the effort to make a stand against the Borg in the Borg Advance story arc. At level 50 KDF captains will be given the following:

- 100 Marks for all the reputations.
    - 40,000 raw dilithium
    - 1 Omega Upgrade Kit - bound to character
    - 1 Tech Upgrade - Universal (Large: 25.6k Tech Points, No Dil requirement) - bound to character
    - 1 Tech Upgrade - Universal (Small: 12.8k Tech Points, No Dil requirement) - bound to character
    - 2 bonus specialization points
    - One class specific T5 starship from the C-Store. The ship you get depends on the class of the Captain.
    - - Engineer & Tactical = Mogh Battle Cruiser
    - - Science = Kar'Fi Battle Carrier

I would have selected the Bortasqu' War Cruiser for the Engineer, but it only has a turn rate of 5.5. If it had a turn rate of 6.5 similar to the T6 variants, then I would have listed it instead of the Mogh. On top of that it is not a very popular ship to begin with. The Mogh was extremely popular, too popular in my opinion to be offered as a free ship. However, the KDF does not have many ships to choose from. The B'rel BoP is a fine ship for a tactical captain, but I think it might be a bit too specialized for most KDF players. It can serve both tactical and science captains, but I generally would not bother having an engineer captain the B'rel. The Guramba Siege Destroyer is good for a tactical captain, but not really good for an engineer in my opinion.

The reason why there is only one slot given for this event is to prevent players from selecting more than one free T5 C-Store Starship. If this attracts enough player into the KDF faction, then perhaps something similar can be done for the Romulans.
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    Not by forcing possible "new" factions in with them.

If people want to play it, they will. Why try to force it with phony inticments?
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    huskerklg wrote: »
    Not by forcing possible "new" factions in with them.

If people want to play it, they will. Why try to force it with phony inticments?

*looks at AoY* worked for the feds.

and not when the lead designer is actively driving away fans of said faction. most people just aren't angry or hateful enough to stick around anyway. if things were somewhat even I'ld agree with you but there not so I don't.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    darthkuribohdarthkuriboh Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    nadiezja wrote: »
    Ending the faction division.

I know a ton of hardcore Klingon players would hate that. I understand and sympathize. But I'm speaking for myself and myself alone here - what could be done to improve my personal experience of the Klingon faction.

I have, over the course of my time in STO, mained characters from all three factions, and I would love to go back and play my KDF character more often. She's awesome! She'll be more awesome when they release a T6 version of her favorite ship (being a character from the launch era, she flew the Vo'quv), but... well, honestly, right now, I'm not sure I'd buy the T6 Vo'quv.

My home is Fedside. The little fleet I run is Fedside. The hundreds of hours I've sunken into that fleet are all Fedside. My social circle is Fedside. And logging in as Molni means not working on or with any of that.

End the faction split, I can add her and other KDF characters to my fleet and talk in Armada chat and it'll be great. Otherwise, she'll keep gathering dust.

My life gets better if the faction split ends. Others might have the opposite experience. But I am saying what, from a purely selfish perspective, I want to see happen.

I would quit and take my wallet elsewhere.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I play KDF and Romulans mainly because I think they're cool. I'm not sure why we need extra bells and whistles to intice people to sign up for the Klingon Empire or Romulan Republic. The fact you can play as part of the Klingon Empire or Romulan Republic should be incentive enough.

Want to play a klingon and fly around in a Negh'Var or a Bird-of-Prey just like in the movies? Roll KDF.

Want to play a romulan and fly around in a D'Deridex or a Scimitar? Roll RR.

It seriously does not need to be any more complicated than that.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    iconians wrote: »
    I play KDF and Romulans mainly because I think they're cool. I'm not sure why we need extra bells and whistles to intice people to sign up for the Klingon Empire or Romulan Republic. The fact you can play as part of the Klingon Empire or Romulan Republic should be incentive enough.

Want to play a klingon and fly around in a Negh'Var or a Bird-of-Prey just like in the movies? Roll KDF.

An that is why the KDF and Romulan factions are so low pop, as well as under developed ship as well as content wise. There is not enough reason or incentive for players to feel it is worth it to play these lower pop factions, and so also low priority for the devs to actually produce content for these factions. That might be all some need to desire to play a faction, but for others they do need more, and you need those other players to keep the other factions alive or they get neglected.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    asuran14 wrote: »

It seriously does not need to be any more complicated than that.

An that is why the KDF and Romulan factions are so low pop, as well as under developed ship as well as content wise. There is not enough reason or incentive for players to feel it is worth it to play these lower pop factions, and so also low priority for the devs to actually produce content for these factions. That might be all some need to desire to play a faction, but for others they do need more, and you need those other players to keep the other factions alive or they get neglected.

Fair enough. I play KDF and Romulan characters for the love of the KDF and Romulan factions. I don't even play my Federation characters because I somehow feel like I'm getting "more" out of that faction. It's more of a "I feel like playing my Federation spaceship today" when it comes to my internal decision-making.

Everything else you're talking about just sounds foreign to me. Which isn't to say I don't believe you, but it's just a concept I don't understand or relate to. I think the KDF and Romulan Republic have "enough" to get somebody started on the path to eventually just doing ISA and CCA ad nauseum. I think there's room for improvement, but even with Agents of Yesterday, at the end of the day, people are still going to be using their 31st Century timeships and Kelvin Timeline spaceships to spam ISA and CCA.

All the paths in the factions end at the same destination, so I'm not sure I could ever understand the concept of making some of the other paths a bit more decorated or whatever.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    I think to some degree that destination is both a effect from players to a point, but also from content burn out. I mean when you have basically three factions, One primary the fed an two minor sub-factions the KDF/Rom, that all run thru the same content an story-lines with minor twists that are nice on the first play thru of it. Than you get burn out an people just want relax wih some grinding if that is their fun as why play thru another long group of missions you already did. If the population an incentive for playing the three factions were closer, than we might have missions that have truly unique qualities to them for each faction that gives them their flavor/style, but also we might get missions that have hidden rewards if you complete the three sides of the mission by playing it on each faction.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I think that is also the reason why there are more Fed players then KDF or ROM players. (Or is it characters, rather than players?)

If you watched Star Trek, you might want to

Play a Human and fly around in a Constitution Class Cruiser.
    Play a Vulcan and fly around in a Constellation Class Cruiser
    Play an Andorian and fly around in a Nova Science Vessel.
    Play a Betazoid and fly around in an Intrepid Science Vessel
    Play a Trill and fly around in a Sovereign Class Cruiser
    Play a Caitan and fly around in a Galaxy Class Cruiser
    Play a Tellerite and fly around in an Excelsior CLass Cruiser
    Play a Saurian and fly around in an Ambassador Class Cruiser
    Play an Alien and fly around in an Akira Class Escort
    Play a Ferengi and fly around in a Galaxy-X Dreadnought
    Play a Liberated Borg and fly around in a Defiant Class Escort
    Play a Benzite and fly around in a Steamrunner Class Escort

Play a Klingon and fly around in a Bird of Prey
    Play a Klingon and fly around in a Vor'Cha
    Play a Klingon and fly around in a Negh'Var
    Play a Klingon and fly around in a Raptor

Play a Romulan and fly around in a Bird of Prey
    Play a Reman and fly around in a Warbird
    Play a Reman and fly around in a Scimitar
    Play a Romulan and fly around in a Mogai

It's obvious which faction has more character concepts even just mixing two elements, only picking canon choices.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    While I would like to have new content that specific to the KDF faction, everyone knows that will not happen. Therefore, I have a different idea...

Run an event called "The Klingon Military Expansion" for a month.

*snip* I absolutely support a recruitment drive for KDF and Romulan Republic. This would be a wonderful idea IMO.

I also support adding additional "faction" incentives. Say, a weekly "faction bonus". The faction that had the least players the last week will receive bonus skill points and bonus marks for that week. The Federation would probably never get this, and it would always provide an incentive to play the lesser used factions. (Though I might worry that the math is simple and it always goes to the Romulan Republic. That could be disheartening for Romulan fans?)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »

*looks at AoY* worked for the feds.

and not when the lead designer is actively driving away fans of said faction. most people just aren't angry or hateful enough to stick around anyway. if things were somewhat even I'ld agree with you but there not so I don't.

False Cause fallacy. Vast majority of players were already there.

And you have this false idea that people want to play KDF just as much as Fed.

There is no reason to balance faction population in this game. Unlike games specifically designed around PvP.

• Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    to reiterate:

UNIQUE gameplay elements are what gives a faction relevance when you're too strapped to do separate storylines.
    You mean something like Battle Cloak and Singularity Powers?
    No wonder that the Romulan Republic is vastly more popular than the KDF.

Oh, wait, it's not.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    It is simple...we kill the Federation.