test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Dilithium sink

leod198leod198 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
At 480 dil/zen it is obvious we need more ways to make players to want to spend Dilithium in game.
How about letting us build our own rare Admiralty ships?
First use existing Mars shipyard map for personal shipyard. Attach dilithium cost to the project to unlock personal shipyard per account.
Make shipyard projects part of R&D , make it long and dilithium expensive. Make it involve all R&D schools, make levels 15to20 of each school relevant so people have reason to upgrade to 20.

Comments

• Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    No, we don't "need" any heavy-handed attempts to manipulate the exchange rate you desire.
  • Options
    solafide420solafide420 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Says a dude that obviously gouges us at the exchange...470+ dil is wrong...why don't you post something helpful, add to the discussion instead of just trolling to be a troll
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    We don't need any more dil sinks. And that idea doesn't sound very feasible anyway.

The exchange will fall, eventually. When people finally say enough is enough and stop buying zen at those ridiculous prices.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    We don't need any more dil sinks. And that idea doesn't sound very feasible anyway.

The exchange will fall, eventually. When people finally say enough is enough and stop buying zen at those ridiculous prices.

With the new expansion coming up I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Says a dude that obviously gouges us at the exchange...470+ dil is wrong...why don't you post something helpful, add to the discussion instead of just trolling to be a troll

470 IS wrong, the real world money I work hard to earn is worth an exchange rate of 500 at LEAST.

Now, if you really DO want the exchange rate, you need a sink that isn't going to just be a short term goal like fleet holdings are. You need a constant, always desirable sink, like maybe pay some dil to reset the transwarp or slipstream cool downs, or replace the EC cost on transwarp to mission with a dil cost. Something along those lines, otherwise the exchange rate will stay volatile, going down when new holdings are released, and right back up when fleets start to finish them off.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    Great post! Valid point, if we had more relevant ways to spend DIL, prices would come down to honest, reasonable levels...and for those of you who gouged the DIL market, shame on you, bad karma
  • Options

I actually think he has a valid point, there's really nothing else worth spending DIL on, so the players can manipulate the market at will, which obviously happened when DIL prices rose 50 DIL in a day, ridiculous
  • Options

I actually think he has a valid point, there's really nothing else worth spending DIL on, so the players can manipulate the market at will, which obviously happened when DIL prices rose 50 DIL in a day, ridiculous

It went up because keys became more valuable thanks to the infinity boxes.

Also, although I made a suggestion for how the rates could be brought down, I still stand by my opinion that 500 is the only reasonable rate for something I'm paying real cash for. If the rate drops below 450, my wallet slams shut, because IMHO it's just not worth my money at that point.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    I'm hardly a free market purist, but honestly. This is a game. Why is it morally superior for the game to favor dilithium traders over Zen sellers? Or the opposite?

The price moves. You want to play the market, you deal with it. The price is morally neutral - it on the whole produces the same amount of "winning" and "losing" no matter where it is, as long as goods keep flowing. Which, hey look, they are.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    470 isn't "wrong," it's the fair market value. It won't be wrong until it hits the cap at 500 at which point players are no longer free to trade at the fair market value. That will cause most people to stop selling Zen.

To prevent that we need dil sinks.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    In fairness, I no longer think I read in detail any idea posted by an account with fewer than a thousand posts. Big, transformative ideas could come from such posters, but at this point after dozens of posts on this same topic I am weary of the rate of these threads cropping up. I'd like to hear solutions driven by people with demonstrated investment in the community and the experience to know where the dilithium sinks really are.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

This. Games already one big dill sink.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    In fairness, I no longer think I read in detail any idea posted by an account with fewer than a thousand posts. Big, transformative ideas could come from such posters, but at this point after dozens of posts on this same topic I am weary of the rate of these threads cropping up. I'd like to hear solutions driven by people with demonstrated investment in the community and the experience to know where the dilithium sinks really are.

After the two was it forum reboots i doubt i have a thousand posts, but its quite a bit more than is listed.

I wouldn't care if they recapped the exchange at 1k, my 500 zen stip would go a ways in dil at that rate.

• Options

The world will be destroyed tommorow by a derelict asteroid, because we actually agree on something.

No, the game doesn't need any more dil sinks.
  • Options
    bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    i think less dil sink and more.. "raise the dil refinement cap by a smidge" with me.. granted that's more a longstanding personal gripe because i'm slow with accumulating refined dil over the raw stuff.

but yeah. there's enough sinks in game.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    nadiezja wrote: »
    I'm hardly a free market purist, but honestly. This is a game. Why is it morally superior for the game to favor dilithium traders over Zen sellers? Or the opposite?

The price moves. You want to play the market, you deal with it. The price is morally neutral - it on the whole produces the same amount of "winning" and "losing" no matter where it is, as long as goods keep flowing. Which, hey look, they are.
    I think talk about "free market" are a bit overrated in a computer game indeed.
    The important thing is that players in the Dilithium Exchange have a way to set the price they are willing to pay, and there are storng incentives both to have Diltihium and to have Zen. That is what is facilitating the exchange between players.
    And what is also important is that the Zen/Dilithium Exchange must actually look like a feasible way for F2P players to acquire ships for free. Otherwise they won't feel that the game is free to play, they leave, and we Zen sellers sit on a bunch of unspent Zen as the game closes down.

There has been a very steady stream of things that you need Zen for, and the stream has not been so steady on the Dilithium side of things. There are new ship releases (in form of C-Store ships or Lockbox ships that require Zen-bought Master Keys) monthly, but the only big things we need Dilithium that were added in that time was a fleet holding and the upgrade system.
    Both have been around quite a while now.

I think Cryptic would need to find something Dilithium-Costing every month, too - or failing that, create some Dilithium-based consumables.

My idea would be to take something they have apparently already developed. To test the new spec on Tribble without giving access to the new ships, they introduced devices that hold those powers. Turn these devices into consumables and stackable and sell them for 200 Dilithium per Tier (disable them in PvP, to not kick the man on the ground any further) in the Dilithium Store. I am sure people would love those things.
    One random idea only, of course. There could be more.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    bengahl wrote: »
    i think less dil sink and more.. "raise the dil refinement cap by a smidge" with me.. granted that's more a longstanding personal gripe because i'm slow with accumulating refined dil over the raw stuff.

but yeah. there's enough sinks in game.

Increased refinement cap would mean increased exchange rate ... I'm down with that, cab we get an exchange cap increase too please? :)

I'll make everyone a deal though, if I ever have the only winning lottery ticket for a really big jackpot, to celebrate I'll buy $10k worth of zen and put it all up for an exchange rate of 100.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User

The world will be destroyed tommorow by a derelict asteroid, because we actually agree on something.

No, the game doesn't need any more dil sinks.

Well, it's not unheard-of for people who generally disagree on most things to at least agree on *something* :)

Thank you.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    geographusgeographus Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Raising the refine-cap would not solve the problem but make it worse. By now F2Plers are able to get enough Dil to
    reach the refine-cap in a more or less decent amount of time and still have enough time to actually play the game.

Due to the current price the Dil they get by grinding however is simply not enough to get enough Zen to buy certain
    things in a reasonable time as well. At moderate Dil-prices you can grind your way to a T5/T6 zen ship in maybe one
    to three months depending on how much work you put into it and if you grind with more than one char, but at 500
    you need almost half a year with a single char to get 3000Z, and that is simply way to long.

Raising the refine cap so they can still pay the Dil-price on the exchange would require a drastically increased grinding
    time, which would simply put most F2Plers off, because it is simply too much time to invest.

Raising the Exchange-cap would also just make it worse. At 500/zen the 8000k Dil a day can buy you 16 zen, if the price
    gets higher then that you would only get less and less zen. So you either buy Zen with money, get even more into
    grinding with additional characters or you simply stop playing. And most people would choose the last option IMO.

Like it had been said before:

The main issue is, that there are simply not enough reasonable things to constantly spent Dil on in the game, and to
    many ways to easily get Dil, so Dil has next to no value.
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Here's an idea... How about a token that costs 2800 Dilithium that lets you auto-refine Dilithium for one week?

I'd pay that. (That's 5% of a week's worth of refined dilithium.) Or some other reasonable amount.

Like people are saying, an ongoing expense that provides value instead of being a form of tax would be the best option. Any kind of service will do.

And/Or add dilithium bets to the Dabo tables, to indirectly convert dilithium to latinum.

I like the idea of resetting transwarp/slipstream cooldowns, too, or just letting people pay dilithium to transwarp to any transwarp destination they want.

Or, pay an exorbitant amount of dilithium to change a single modifier on R&D crafted gear. People would be screaming for dilithium if that was an option.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • Options
    evs2011evs2011 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Crazy idea: make dilithium the only main currency

Replace everything that costs EC with unrefined dilithium (transwarp, vendors, the main exchange), this would curtail the supply of refined dilithium coming down the line on an ongoing basis.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    Here's an idea... How about a token that costs 2800 Dilithium that lets you auto-refine Dilithium for one week?

I'd pay that. (That's 5% of a week's worth of refined dilithium.) Or some other reasonable amount.

Like people are saying, an ongoing expense that provides value instead of being a form of tax would be the best option. Any kind of service will do.

And/Or add dilithium bets to the Dabo tables, to indirectly convert dilithium to latinum.

I like the idea of resetting transwarp/slipstream cooldowns, too, or just letting people pay dilithium to transwarp to any transwarp destination they want.

Or, pay an exorbitant amount of dilithium to change a single modifier on R&D crafted gear. People would be screaming for dilithium if that was an option.

Good ideas, especially the crafting.

But simply changing mods as you like would be way to powerful. Rolling the last applied upgrade back would be
    more balanced. Remove the last added mod (Dil-price depending on rarity and MK level) so you can try again
    using more tech upgrades. Tech points are set back to 0 TP and 0% rarity upgrade chance using this option.

Another option:
    Remove "bound to char/account" from an item by spending Dil (again depending on rarity and MK level). This
    should not work with items that are generally "bind on pickup" but only for items that are bound due to equipping
    them. This would open up the market since there are likely tons of good gear stored away in banks because they
    are too good to discard but still not used.

Radical option:
    Introduce an additional market that allows to sell lobi for Dil.
  • Options
    evs2011 wrote: »
    Crazy idea: make dilithium the only main currency

Replace everything that costs EC with unrefined dilithium (transwarp, vendors, the main exchange), this would curtail the supply of refined dilithium coming down the line on an ongoing basis.

I agree... it's a crazy idea. ;)

Kidding aside, it would be an extreme change and it would seriously disrupt the in-game economy. They would have to deal with the situation of selling vendor trash, which if it inflated the amount of unrefined dilithium would make the situation even worse or worse yet eliminate sellback altogether.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    geographus wrote: »
    Raising the refine-cap would not solve the problem but make it worse. By now F2Plers are able to get enough Dil to
    reach the refine-cap in a more or less decent amount of time and still have enough time to actually play the game.

Due to the current price the Dil they get by grinding however is simply not enough to get enough Zen to buy certain
    things in a reasonable time as well. At moderate Dil-prices you can grind your way to a T5/T6 zen ship in maybe one
    to three months depending on how much work you put into it and if you grind with more than one char, but at 500
    you need almost half a year with a single char to get 3000Z, and that is simply way to long.

Raising the refine cap so they can still pay the Dil-price on the exchange would require a drastically increased grinding
    time, which would simply put most F2Plers off, because it is simply too much time to invest.

Raising the Exchange-cap would also just make it worse. At 500/zen the 8000k Dil a day can buy you 16 zen, if the price
    gets higher then that you would only get less and less zen. So you either buy Zen with money, get even more into
    grinding with additional characters or you simply stop playing. And most people would choose the last option IMO.

The main issue is, that there are simply not enough reasonable things to constantly spent Dil on in the game, and to

As has been quoted this particular gripe cannot be laid at Cryptics feet, unless you want the dil exchange removed entirely.

Just because the mechanic exists doesn't mean you have to bend your fellow players over with it and shaft them.

This is the players fault, not Cryptic.

Any mod or dev seeing me absolve Cryptic of anything probably just fell out of their chair, knowing my history of going easy on Cryptic about anything.

I happen to need dilithium, im glad it's 480 right now, time wise if it's zen you want your just better off buying it.

If you cant afford it, oh well, do without it.

• Options
    evs2011evs2011 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    I agree... it's a crazy idea. ;)

Kidding aside, it would be an extreme change and it would seriously disrupt the in-game economy. They would have to deal with the situation of selling vendor trash, which if it inflated the amount of unrefined dilithium would make the situation even worse or worse yet eliminate sellback altogether.

Haha! I had not considered the fact that EC inflation would thus become Dilithium inflation. Back to the drawing board...

• Options
    geographus wrote: »

As has been quoted this particular gripe cannot be laid at Cryptics feet, unless you want the dil exchange removed entirely.

Just because the mechanic exists doesn't mean you have to bend your fellow players over with it and shaft them.

This is the players fault, not Cryptic.

Any mod or dev seeing me absolve Cryptic of anything probably just fell out of their chair, knowing my history of going easy on Cryptic about anything.

I happen to need dilithium, im glad it's 480 right now, time wise if it's zen you want your just better off buying it.

If you cant afford it, oh well, do without it.

I disagree in parts. Cryptic introduced the Dil-Exchange as a reasonable option for F2Plers to aquire
    Zen. At the moment it is simply not reasonable. And while it is also the fault of the players it is in part
    also Cryptics fault, since they failed to keep the two currencies halfway balanced in the game.

At the moment Zen is far more desireable then Dil, simply because Cryptic is pushing with more and
    more things that require Zen and do not compensate it with desireable things that require Dil.

And while there are of course players that do require larg amounts of Dil, the vast majority wants Zen,
    and that's why the exchange rate is where it is ATM.
  • Options
    trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    OR!
    maybe!
    instead of putting more dilithium sinks...
    maybe just MAYBE
    cryptic should stick to how original design worked and instead of putting crapload of zenships into the game make the primary price for them being payed in dilithium - as per original design?

bear in mind dilithium exchange was setup for the sake of impatient people so they could pay real money for their ships/fleet holdings/rep gear without timegating known a dilithium refinement - not for free players to be able to get new ships without paying rl money....

so to fix current situation options are two - go back to old design where all ships are being bought by dilithium and you can use zen to buy already refnied dilithium from other players - or redesign the whole dilithium thing to compensate for priorities shift

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    You players are conflating reasonable with usual. Prices have been high and just because they're 10% higher now is no reason to say that it is unusual for the current state of the market. Your long ago memories of seemingly inexpensive dilithium are just that: from long ago.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    trejgon wrote: »
    OR!
    maybe!
    instead of putting more dilithium sinks...
    maybe just MAYBE
    cryptic should stick to how original design worked and instead of putting crapload of zenships into the game make the primary price for them being payed in dilithium - as per original design?

bear in mind dilithium exchange was setup for the sake of impatient people so they could pay real money for their ships/fleet holdings/rep gear without timegating known a dilithium refinement - not for free players to be able to get new ships without paying rl money....

so to fix current situation options are two - go back to old design where all ships are being bought by dilithium and you can use zen to buy already refnied dilithium from other players - or redesign the whole dilithium thing to compensate for priorities shift

You seem to be forgetting that the "original design" harks back to when people payed subscription fees to play this game.

If they don't sell zen, they don't make money. Lockboxes and ships are the two biggest categories of zen-based purchases they have. If they don't do that, how exactly would you suggest that they turn a profit?