test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Don't fracture the community

For the long term health of STO I don't think it's a good idea to have three separate communities of PC, PS4, and Xbox One. The consoles allow cross play so it should be taken advantage of. A fracturing of players is never good for the health of a game. I want to see STO have a very very long life like Even Online.

Comments

• Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    Seperate and lengthy audit procedures for patches are kinda the stick in the gears here I think... also it's less of "Fracturing" but more like "New Markets"... I don't think a lot of people will migrate (given how accounts appear to not be transferable).
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Yeah, I also don't see much of a fracturing happening. You can't use your pc account on the consoles and vice versa so migrating to another system would just be a waste of practically everything you've done so far.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    We've had this thread already and the reasons for doing it haven't changed.

The only variation I see being even remotely possible is at some point Cryptic might adopt an 'account portability' system where whatever you have on your account is accessible from any of the three separate environments when you log in via that portal and what ever you earn in any environment goes into a singular account record. But even that is HIGHLY contingent on that proving to be a hugely successful selling point for other games that are experimenting with it. Cryptic is not going to be "first out of the trenches -- first to get shot" on this one.
  • Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    Making the consoles crossplay might be doable but probably not (extra work).

Making the PC crossplay with the consoles would require dumbing the PC game down in some fashion, and that's unacceptable.
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    Microsoft and Sony get a share of money spent on cash shop stuff on their consoles.

Microsoft and Sony want their cut.

Microsoft and Sony will not be happy to see you buy stuff on PC then use it on their consoles. Because they want their cut.
  • Options
    lexandro21lexandro21 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    1.) Crossplatform play is terrible when it comes to consoles and PC titles. MS tried it already and it tanked to the point it was completely dropped. There are multiple technical hurdles that have yet to be resolved with cross platform play.

2.) Its not fracturing the community, because the PC community is the PC community. Console players are a different community entirely. If some people want to change platforms, thats up to them. But the vast majority of console players will be new players completely.

3.) Crossplatform would make it nigh on impossible for new console players to play content and earn rewards, because they would constantly be outmatched by "old" pc players with high end ships, plus millions of EC and Dil on hand.

4.) It would make the console market explode, as the price of dil would be at a rock bottom at the start and have hundreds of pc players trading in and jacking the price up.
    H5jACRj.jpg

• Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I will be playing on the PS4. I was playing the game on my Mac but they stopped the Mac version....so I've been STO-less for the past couple of months....I have figured out the work arounds.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    lexandro21 wrote: »
    1.) Crossplatform play is terrible when it comes to consoles and PC titles. MS tried it already and it tanked to the point it was completely dropped. There are multiple technical hurdles that have yet to be resolved with cross platform play.

actually afaik they are back to that idea....

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,878 Arc User
    lexandro21 wrote: »
    1.) Crossplatform play is terrible when it comes to consoles and PC titles. MS tried it already and it tanked to the point it was completely dropped. There are multiple technical hurdles that have yet to be resolved with cross platform play..

I just want to point out that Rocketleague is already cross platform and, with the upcoming "Play Anywhere" integration between Windows 10 and Xbox One platforms, we will very likely see more (it's up to individual devs, but the option is going to be more open than it has been).

And before anyone jumps in thinking that this post is trying to validate STO cross platform, it isn't. That's impossible and for the same reasons as Neverwinter (validation on updates, staggered content, different builds, incompatible.) But the general idea is being taken up elsewhere.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Here's the bigger reason. It's to let the new players coming in not get ROFLSTOMPED by veteran players right off the bat. I could see it coming in later once the deals get worked out, but in the short time, it's better if they stay separate till all those new players get their feet under them.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    About 3 months LATE...besides Mr EP (executive producer) sees a gold line in there...its happening and there will more more unsatisfied players in 3 different platforms. Great in short term for financial gains but horrific idea in the long run. At least they extended the life support of this game for a couple more years or so.monkey-2.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I will be playing on the PS4. I was playing the game on my Mac but they stopped the Mac version....so I've been STO-less for the past couple of months....I have figured out the work arounds.

Have you attempted to use a free Windows emulator like WINE?

There is also the more expensive option of purchasing Windows 10 OEM version (as opposed to Retail) for $100 - $110 and using Bootcamp to dual boot your Mac.
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Gonna level with ya, I prefer they keep the 10 year old teabagging halo jumpers in their own sandbox. Technical problems aside theres a community there youd probably be better off without.
  • Options
    sontohartono#8792 sontohartono Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    From what I gather, it's just PS4 that's being locked out. It's specifically said that PS4 gets their own server, and that PS4 captains get to start "fresh".

Which is stupid. Not only does a split in communities kill a game, but having a preexisting community in place for a MMO is what most developers dream of, because it ensures that new players will remain active, and the port becomes a success. And the idea that console players are any different from PC players, or that new players need to be protected from older players (because there aren't any new players on the PC version?) is just laughable, and untrue. But mostly, it's stupid to single out a single platform like that, because you're creating a narrative of one platform being seen as less important from the start, and that is something you will never get past.

At the very least, I strongly suggest setting up a copy character service.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    After reading the title of this thread, this came to mind first...

https://youtu.be/8Jda2ivskI8

"... You don't realize, that it's all com-pro-mise...
    ... and the problems, are so, over-rated..."

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I haven't figured out how to make it work.

As for consoles and PC being separated...Elder Scrolls Online does it and they appear to be healthy.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I haven't figured out how to make it work.

As for consoles and PC being separated...Elder Scrolls Online does it and they appear to be healthy.

How often does ESO do patches/updates?
    If's it's not the same as the weekly ones STO gets, then that's not a fair comparison.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    I've only been playing for a few months and in that time they have done weekly updates and they have done 2 DLC's
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    TL;DR = "Unless you combine PC community with console community... DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!"
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    This has been explained so many times in numerous interviews ...

iWKad22.jpg?fb
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png