test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Welcome to the cryxit

"Today, Cryptic introduced the new infinity lockbox on the market, making all the former items available in separate lockboxes available in one lockbox, with the player having the choice of which prize he or she wants"

As a result, a money run took place and at some point: there was less than 5000 zen available in the entire exchange market at prices going from 485 to 500 dilithium for one zen, as people swarmed the exchange to get keys.

Also on the energy credits exchange, the price of keys when well above 6 million credits per key. Prices could go even higher.

The price of some popular kits collapsed, including plasmonic leech being available at 24 million credits at one point.

People who had saved dilithium to buy some of the new ships lamented their currency being devoid of any value.

This represented a massive change on the markets, with investors and buyers alike not sure which way the market would go, or when the metoric rise or fall in prices would stop.

Back to you in the studio

Tex@luckyyahoo, U.S.S. Rocinante
STO fauna enthusiast/Joker extraordinaire
Vote Nanov!

Comments

• Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2016
    The people holding on to gear to sell at exorbitant prices had it coming for a long time. On the other hand, the one high priced item I held multiples of onto hasn't lost value since it wasn't affected at all by this change. I think I'll cash in and get me some cheap things I've wanted for a while. Lucky me.
  • Options
    cheshirecat#6232 cheshirecat Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    That explains why it went up 18 points earlier today in about 4 hours (from 422 to 440) and then in about one hour from 440 to 479. Well, folks, I'm going on sabbatical from STO, effective immediately. See you in either 6 months or 12 months or never. Depends on if sanity returns in the meantime (I might check periodically, if I feel like it), which I have grave doubts about. The dollar-sign matters more than ordinary human decency and fair play. And yes, I'm a free-to-play player. I have never had more than $50 of discretionary funds to spend on this game and that was back in late 2012. I was even almost thinking about saving up for the LTS sale ... nope. I'll keep my money offline, thank you very much.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    My dropping ~10 dollars on keys got me a plasmonic leech console on the very first key and an all around excellent collection of goods from the other 9. So far this new box is brilliant if you don't mind handing Cryptic a couple of $.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    This seems to be a good change. More lock box items are within reach of a greater public now.

I got two training manuals in the 19 boxes I opened, something I have never gotten before (and I must have opened well over 100 of them in the last couple of months). Of course I also got a lot of useless stuff like weapon packs, but at least I can now select which weapon I want to get.

Meaning that for those who open lock boxes, we get more freedom to choose what we want. And for those who buy their lock box stuff off the exchange, I think it's likely that we'll see convergence of prices, since supply of older lock box stuff will be more balanced now compared to the stuff from the current one.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Hmm ... do I stock up on dil for my TOS character's fleet gear now, or wait and see if we can hit 500 ... decisions decisions ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    And $20 later ALL of my Fed captains have received plasmonic leeches and my Fed main now has Inspirational Leader.

These boxes are INCREDIBLE.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    Lol, the game market crashed.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    And $20 later ALL of my Fed captains have received plasmonic leeches and my Fed main now has Inspirational Leader.

baa55df03342db29aea486974e8f6c3cb7322e6b859863a2f3e29388450e85a8.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,323 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Lol, the game market crashed.

.. only by a mere 50-60 points. Currently at 478. Was 422 prior to lockbox announcement.

At least we can throw away any notion that this is a F2P game. Technically it is, but in reality
    It's give or take roughly 6 months to gather sufficient refined dilithium for a T6 ship with 1 played character.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Ok now this is rediculous I'm not touching the dilithium exchange for a long time.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Good thing this isn't a huge pump and dump scheme.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    luckyyahoo wrote: »
    "Today, Cryptic introduced the new infinity lockbox on the market, making all the former items available in separate lockboxes available in one lockbox, with the player having the choice of which prize he or she wants"

As a result, a money run took place and at some point: there was less than 5000 zen available in the entire exchange market at prices going from 485 to 500 dilithium for one zen, as people swarmed the exchange to get keys.

Also on the energy credits exchange, the price of keys when well above 6 million credits per key. Prices could go even higher.

The price of some popular kits collapsed, including plasmonic leech being available at 24 million credits at one point.

People who had saved dilithium to buy some of the new ships lamented their currency being devoid of any value.

This represented a massive change on the markets, with investors and buyers alike not sure which way the market would go, or when the metoric rise or fall in prices would stop.

thou doth desperately need to wander unto the outdoors and seeketh thee a life
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    [quote="questerius;12977422"]
    At least we can throw away any notion that this is a F2P game. Technically it is, but in reality
    It's give or take roughly 6 months to gather sufficient refined dilithium for a T6 ship with 1 played character.
    [/quote]
    in that same time you will also have at least one free t6 giveaway (winter, summer, anniversary), plus regular play can easily earn enough ec in 6 months to buy a lockbox/lobi ship off the ah. Which totals two account wide and one chatacter - bound ships in that time.

Not only is dil not the only way to get free ships, you can do several methods at once.

And if you really only have one character, don't forget the option of a fleet t6 ship for far less dil. Just need a 10-pack of keys, sell on market then but your 4 fleet ship modules, 1/3 the dilithium cost that way.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I am rejoicing as I will be pulling the trigger on the Wells sometime tonight completing a 3 year long desire. Also plasmo and kemo for those who have none. Ferengi in full panic mode tonight.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    Grats! The Wells does seem like a pretty ship :).
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    Cheers Sheldon!

And don't worry the ferengi will adapt. Market PvP always has ups and downs. That's part of the fun.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Psst time for a key sale crytpic you daft watermelons.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    I am rejoicing as I will be pulling the trigger on the Wells sometime tonight completing a 3 year long desire. Also plasmo and kemo for those who have none. Ferengi in full panic mode tonight.

Yup. One of my friends is saying that a well known guy in one of the chat channels is really upset and vowing to corner the market on the next lockbox ships in retaliation, intentionally keeping the prices high.

Good luck with that dude.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    HOW? He'd have to buy every ship as it's offered and relist it at max value or hide it in his mattress.

You're gonna punish Cryptic by buying thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars of zeni, converting them to keys, and then selling those to get the 50,000,000,000+ EC you'd need to in any way impact the market... in the process giving Cryptic thousands of dollars and putting thousands of keys out there in the hands of players that will just be use them to open more boxes?

This plan... its bass ackwards at best.

And while I'd like a key sale as much or more than the next guy, you've got to admit, the VALUE of a key has never been higher than right now. They will sell in great greasy gobs right now, sale or no..
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I chose to be a soldier and captain in this game, not a Ferengi. I think for us it’s going to be a great time and I salute the change. My respectful condolences to the Ferengi of course. Poo happens.

What I witnessed at the exchange yesterday was something I have never witnessed in the four years I play this game. It’s exciting. So many of my fellow captains and soldiers got stuff they always wanted for 1/3-1/6 of its former price. I could not be happier. I can outfit 5 of my toons with Inspirational leader traits where so far I could not even have outfitted one.

As far as retaliation from the Ferengi is concerned I’m not really worried. Corner the market on current boxes? In short Cryptic hurt you now you want to hurt the playerbase?

Have fun to try that, I doubt it will work in the long run. Today's lock box shiny is just tomorrow’s infinity lock box junk. Surely great fun to toy around with, just not at the exchange. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    HOW? He'd have to buy every ship as it's offered and relist it at max value or hide it in his mattress.

You're gonna punish Cryptic by buying thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars of zeni, converting them to keys, and then selling those to get the 50,000,000,000+ EC you'd need to in any way impact the market... in the process giving Cryptic thousands of dollars and putting thousands of keys out there in the hands of players that will just be use them to open more boxes?

This plan... its bass ackwards at best.

And while I'd like a key sale as much or more than the next guy, you've got to admit, the VALUE of a key has never been higher than right now. They will sell in great greasy gobs right now, sale or no..

Yea... the logic makes no sense to me.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    tigrovaya13akulatigrovaya13akula Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    So, does this also mean that ships like a Vomph (spelling) will soon sell for LESS than a BILLION of EC (+Keys) on the trading channels; AND, maybe even LESS than the 750 million EC cap on the Exchange. Maybe even cheaper?

AND what about Bug-Ships?
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    So, does this also mean that ships like a Vomph (spelling) will soon sell for LESS than a BILLION of EC (+Keys) on the trading channels; AND, maybe even LESS than the 750 million EC cap on the Exchange. Maybe even cheaper?

Both of those are and have been less than a billion. Bugship is unaffected by te infinity box though.
    Post edited by salazarraze on
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    luckyyahoo wrote: »

thou doth desperately need to wander unto the outdoors and seeketh thee a life
    NO!! Fresh air and natural light are natures silent killers!
    Thou canst not find enlightenment without light. The greatest source of light thou canst seek out is the sun. Thus your quest must begin by absorbing the holy rays.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    Star Trade Online... To boldly go where no Trader has gone before.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User

Indeed, I got three off the exchange for the price of one, too!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited June 2016

Doubt it.

This box does not affect Promotional ships like the Vomph or Bug ship, though Borticus did say something like the infinity box might happen for them, too.

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif