test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dilithium to Zen

I am astounded at the exchange rate: 8000 dil now gets you 16 zen which even the 3rd world would agree is too low. This will spell the end of STO if not fixed - I suggest either playing the market or increasing the cap. I love this game but it is becoming pointless and the numbers are dropping steadily. If this doesn't change I will wait for the new content (btw new ships are not new content - I am taking stories), play it and then say farewell to what has been an awesome game. I really hope you try to save it than let it die though :smile:

Comments

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    My reaction when I saw the current exchange rate:

c263180fd10832bc6f41ef553353f70bbaf672ecb22ad1be953a3c63b7bcde0e.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

Evilmark, what is good for you isn't necessarily good for someone who can't afford to pay for a 30 dollar ship. That's a 2 month sub right there. The only reason it's good for you is that the higher the price of dilthium there is, the more you'll get for zen, but the less overall someone who depends on trading that dilithium to you will get so they can spend something from the c-store.

Let me show you the math for this.

At the current exchange rate (474-5 currently) for 1 day's worth of dilithium on one toon: 16 zen.

To get 2 character slots @ 625 zen, one would need to be on the game for about 39-40 days just to get those, while one T6 ship would be a little more than 6 months to get.

Even if someone were using 3 character slots total for 48 zen per day, 1 character slot, it's still nearly 2 weeks of playing just to afford 2 character slots and 2 months to get a T6 ship from the c-store.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    Really? Whats this, the 10th "Zen costs too much dil' " whine thread this month?

If you dont like the exchange rate, you can get Zen for no dil, just like some of us do, (the old fashioned way) spend cash! It's not the job of the people who buy Zen, and offer it on the exchange, to cater to your whims for "cheep stuffez" .

There are more and more players who play for free coming into the game then there are people spending money on Zen, of course the exchange rate wont be in the favor of the dilithium seller in the exchange, simple econ101.

Class dismissed.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    So hold on to your dilithium - the exchange rate only goes up because people with dilithium want zeni now. As a dilithium seller you offer more-per-zeni to cut to the front of the line. When those people have had their turn the people who have waited for a better rate get their turn.

If you want real coin for your game time at a better rate you have to have a little patience.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Hey there dil seller, I would like to thank you on behalf of all Zen sellers. Because of all you it makes it so much easier for us to get dil and upgrade all of our equipment while we keep opening lockbox over lockbox. Thanks to your effort to grind so much dil with all your alts, we Zen sellers how the ability to upgrade our fleets (I mean free storage space) to any level why you all starve the fleets you are attached to of dil for their projects.

In the end, you can blame your fellow free 2 players, because they are the ones dumping all that dil on the exchange.

Wait, you sold dil on the exchange, so the only person you can blame is....YOURSELF!

Hahahahahahaha

"Swipes credit card, buys more keys, posts them on the exchange for 5 mil each"
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Yeah, there are far more players that rather not spend any money on STO compared to those who are willing to do so. What does that mean? There is a huge demand for Zen from players to do not want to spend money but are willing to trade refined Dil for it. The result? A lot of Dil is chasing Zen.

The supply of Dil far outstrips the supply of Zen, It is also very far more easier to get Dil now than ever before. The solution if you do not want to spend any money and want the exchange rate to improve in your favor?

#1 - Convince F2P player to stop playing STO.
    #2 - Convince F2P player to spend money on STO.
    #3 - Convince players already spending money on STO to spend even more money.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Do like I do. I refuse to sell my Dil for those prices. So I use my Dil for gear upgrades. That is where the bulk of mine is going to. Sorry but spending over a Million Dil for a ship isn't good in my book. So no deal. Instead cut out the middle man, buy zen with $.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

Evilmark, what is good for you isn't necessarily good for someone who can't afford to pay for a 30 dollar ship. That's a 2 month sub right there. The only reason it's good for you is that the higher the price of dilthium there is, the more you'll get for zen, but the less overall someone who depends on trading that dilithium to you will get so they can spend something from the c-store.

At the current exchange rate (474-5 currently) for 1 day's worth of dilithium on one toon: 16 zen.

To get 2 character slots @ 625 zen, one would need to be on the game for about 39-40 days just to get those, while one T6 ship would be a little more than 6 months to get.

Even if someone were using 3 character slots total for 48 zen per day, 1 character slot, it's still nearly 2 weeks of playing just to afford 2 character slots and 2 months to get a T6 ship from the c-store.

And what's wrong with all of that?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited June 2016

$30 isn't hard to get. I used to mow yards and did stuff around the house for $. It don't take long to build up, and this is as a kid.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Love how the OP whines about a player controlled exchange and thinks it's going to change anytime soon.

cvoU5Y9.gif
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    Do like I do. I refuse to sell my Dil for those prices. So I use my Dil for gear upgrades. That is where the bulk of mine is going to. Sorry but spending over a Million Dil for a ship isn't good in my book. So no deal. Instead cut out the middle man, buy zen with $.

This right here ^^^

The best way to deal with the price , is to dry up the amount of dil being sold to the zen sellers, use dil for upgrades or save it , and if you really want that shiny that bad, pony up to the damn bar and buy some zen with real money.

if you cant afford that , then sit on your dil till prices drop .
  • Options
    cpain2kcpain2k Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Sorry if I upset anyone from going off topic, being such an awesome subject (dill/Zen) ratio.
    Anyway, what does everyone think of the new ships STO is cranking out? Specs, style? I personally think
    they look, not so great. Some of the specs are pretty good but I think they mostly look like... no star trek like.
    Kinda crappy imo.

I truly prefer a more classic/retro style.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I am not into the retro look. The only ship that I will be purchasing is the T6 Eternal because it is the 1st T6 C-Store Science Vessel that my KDF and and RR captains can use.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    I am the man who arranges the blocks
    That continue to fall from up above
    The markets are free so much money for me
    Tell me why should I care for peace and love
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    Im gonna have to go with cidjack on this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YZNXwjfq6g
  • Options
    spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    I'm not an economist but I suppose the exchange rate means the developers are doing something right because lots of people are wanting their product. A rising zen price means a healthy game - for Cryptic/PWE at least?
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Do you want it to be much harder to get dil, or do you want to be required to spend so much dil on stuff that you dont have much leftover for zen?

Only one or the other can make zen cost less dil.

Or Cryptic could bring out big Dilithium sink's, like another 5 tier Fleet holding.

It only started to go up when Cryptic stopped making Fleet holdings and threw more and more Dilithium at people.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    Looked today was at around 450 per zen. Too much I said and closed the window. Oh well there's still the arc rewards so I'm not all that worried about the exchange rate.
  • Options
    baldrick8baldrick8 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    We have an upgrade weekend coming up next month, haven't we? What's the experience of long-timers, might that lower the rate a bit?
    Just thinking, with lots of upgrades some people might find themselves short on dil and actually buying it for zen. Not many, I'm sure. But might that make a difference?

Come to think of it, maybe I should stock up on dil now, while it's cheap...
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    baldrick8 wrote: »
    We have an upgrade weekend coming up next month, haven't we? What's the experience of long-timers, might that lower the rate a bit?

One might think it does. However cryptic has the habit to „coincident” upgrade weekends with premium ship sales during the same weekend. This usually undoes all benefits that may develop in that respect.
    baldrick8 wrote: »

Come to think of it, maybe I should stock up on dil now, while it's cheap...

Yea, now is a good time to do so cuz peeps sell everything they have atm to get the AoY pack.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    Upgrade weekend comes after the next dilithium weekend.

"More dil" will hit before "less dil" even has a chance to become a thing.
  • Options
    I see. You have to give credit to their lobes.
  • Options
    kamuii2kamuii2 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Dil prices will max out when AoY arrives. Not surprised. I stopped sellin dil for zen when it hit 200 dil per zen. wont do it again unless it goes back down.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    kamuii2 wrote: »
    Dil prices will max out when AoY arrives. Not surprised. I stopped sellin dil for zen when it hit 200 dil per zen. wont do it again unless it goes back down.

And yet the market keeps moving up. Huh. Go figure.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    geographusgeographus Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    I think a pretty interesting way to open up the market would be to introduce another
    market that allows to trade dilithium for lobis.

That way there would be two directions the dilithium will flow (zen and lobi), which
    would lower the prices for zen and also allows for interesting dynamics within the
    economy.

E.g. every time a new lockbox is released Dil/Zen gets up because everyone wants
    keys to open the new box but it also will lower the Dil/Lobi price because there are
    more Lobi on the market due to all the opened lockboxes.
  • Options
    geographus wrote: »
    I think a pretty interesting way to open up the market would be to introduce another

That way there would be two directions the dilithium will flow (zen and lobi), which
    would lower the prices for zen and also allows for interesting dynamics within the
    economy.

E.g. every time a new lockbox is released Dil/Zen gets up because everyone wants
    keys to open the new box but it also will lower the Dil/Lobi price because there are
    more Lobi on the market due to all the opened lockboxes.

That's an interesting concept.

The decisive question though is: will it generate more or less profit for Cryptic?
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    geographus wrote: »

This would be a feasible idea. The other would be releasing cosmetic items like uniforms, ship skins, etc. in exchange for Dilithium. Desired items that aren't uber powerful (Since you want people to spend cash on that) that you can sell for Dilithium.

The idea of a new Fleet Holding won't work. Right now, the Zen is more valuable to people then contributing to a fleet project.

Of course the big thing here is the assumption that Cryptic wants to fix this 'problem' which of course.. they don't. And I don't blame them for that at all.
    Insert witty signature line here.