test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What do you think of the surf boosters?

Just wondering, because yesterday I was surfing started out ahead of the rest of the group, went over a booster and nothing. Next thing I know everyone else in the field is overtaking me. I have seen this many times where someone is right on my tail and he/she gets the booster and I do not.
Is surfing now subject to the magical RNG as well? If so, no thanks. Used to enjoy surfing on Risa, as it did require skill.

Comments

• Options
    jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    Speed boosts on the powerboard race do not become active until the first person has passed over them.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    So it sounds like the the first person triggers it and the others behind benefit from it, but not the trigger man.

If in fact the OP was registered for the race and was the first one in front.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    @jheinig

Really? Mind blown.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    jheinig wrote: »
    Speed boosts on the powerboard race do not become active until the first person has passed over them.

So it's a way of s****ing over the people in first? That's extremely lame. When everyone has superior boards, it took skill to win when the boosters didn't work. Now it just punishes skill.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    Using the speed boosting ramps one after another results in flying really high and then it counts as being outside of the water and the surfboard vanishes. The activation of speed boosts also seems random, and the boost seems higher than previous years.

Still have to do more races with the new working boosts to get a handle on how it's supposed to work.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    It's definitely a trip. And going over one right behind someone else generally means I don't get the boost.

Yesterday I ended up on a top of a hill when I got too many boosts at the same time. Was still able to rejoin the race and finish, as I was undoubtedly still inside the invisible boundary.

Today I completely missed a gate and lost all chance of finishing. I did go back and get it, but too late, then got DQ'd for leaving the track, even though there was no flag to grab. *Shrugs* Oh well, it happens. I've been learning and starting to be able to grab place flags now. That's nice.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    good concept... needs refining
  • Options
    ainstleyainstley Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2016

OP here ... I have experienced this as well. Often when coming first, ahead of the pack I do not see any boosters at all, or they just do not fire.

On an odd occasion, I see it appear as I go over where it should be.

Also, if there is only one more person in the race, I sometimes race on two accounts, on two open STO applications on the same PC. On my first character I will not see the boosts, but then I race the 2nd character in the same instance and I see them.

It has been like this for ages, but if the guy coming 2nd got a little boost it was not a major issue, but now if the 2nd players gets a major throw forward, the race has moved from something from where skill was required to be at the mercy of either the RNG or just plain bugs.

When I saw the changelog for this week, I thought they actually meant they were fixing the stuff I experienced above.

I used to love Risa and surfing, simply because there is nothing else quite like it in STO, but this is a major shift from what was. I can not believe Cryptic wanted it so powerful that you now miss turns and end up on hill tops. That can't not be part of the plan.
  • Options
    tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    I nearly got disqualified because of the boost. Went over one lost control and ended outside of the track, luckily it didn't register. Will need some getting used too.
  • Options
    Just raced now and no boosts for me on the 2nd part of the track. Was boosting so bad at the finish line it looked like I had skates on when I got off the board.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    So what the people say on this thread is that the first person to go over them dosent get the boost.
    Which means all those times i have been in front of everyone and gotten a boost.
    The entire holiday is a lie
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I have to say the boosts are a hoot. Totally randomizes who will win if all race correctly. It's quite a boost. Enjoy it.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    ainstley wrote: »
    I used to love Risa and surfing, simply because there is nothing else quite like it in STO, but this is a major shift from what was. I can not believe Cryptic wanted it so powerful that you now miss turns and end up on hill tops. That can't not be part of the plan.
    That was probably my own fault for getting two boosts so close together, on a Targ board lol.

What Jade said, I've also gotten boosts from being first to go over them, it's why I ended up on a hill. I went over a boost, then directly into a ramp, so ended up on the hill from the boosts stacking. I'm getting better at it since they fixed the boosts, not ending up on hills anymore
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter

I have noticed several times if two players pass over a boost tile/ramp at the same time only one of them will benefit from the boost and the other gets nothing from it.​​
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    Sqwished is right, I've had this happen many times. I believe after a boost is gotten, the booster needs to reset. I've found if I go over one a second or two after someone else, then I'll get the boost.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited June 2016

Sounds like bad design as it has a slight delay in activating, meaning whoever is behind the person activating it is going to receive the boost while the one who triggered it gets nothing. These boosts should be active all the time so that everyone can benefit of it.
    The Blue Shell from Mario Kart is more fair than those boosts.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    I got disqualified at the end of the race because I couldn't stop due to the boosts. They definitely make it a lot more difficult to control your board, that's for sure.
  • Options
    ruffiansevenruffianseven Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    It seems like an entirely different race since the boost. I'm having to rethink my strategies so I don't end up on a hill or rock or get DQ. I was coming in 1st sometimes, but now I am just finishing most times. What I have been experiencing with speed boosts makes sense now with what most are reporting. So I just need to practice and adjust and hopefully I'll do better.
    Gave up on the Targ board and am using the elite free one on both toons. I'm thankful when I get the 2 tags at the end now. It's definitely a "rush" racing at these speeds.
  • Options
    You can disengage your board as you get to the finish and let off the 'go' button and then you won't overshoot the flags and get DQ'd.

I just started doing this the other day and it works well. My toon hits the water and doesn't stumble around like a drunk on a binge and then I can quickly run to flags if I didn't time it right.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    Still don't get how this is supposed to work, but I've been first numerous times on the ramps and still received the boost.

The ramps and boost pads are simply RNG as far as I can tell.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    kapla5571kapla5571 Member Posts: 103 Arc User

Sounds like bad design as it has a slight delay in activating, meaning whoever is behind the person activating it is going to receive the boost while the one who triggered it gets nothing. These boosts should be active all the time so that everyone can benefit of it.
    The Blue Shell from Mario Kart is more fair than those boosts.
    wrote:
    June 22nd 2016 patch release notes....
    Summer Event:
    Resolved an issue that was causing ALL Hoverboards to be unable to benefit from Speed Boosts on the race track.

But the patch contradicts what was said if the 1st person across has to "activate" the boost pads then all Hoverboards don't receive a benefit - only the person(s) after the activation becomes active.

Also I'm positive the decimal point on "boost rate" per pad was misplaced [0.20 boost instead of the 2.0 boost it seems to be] and the fact that "Boosts" now seem to be stacking unlike before and in years past. So instead of the expected non-stacking .20 boost per ramp/boostpad, we seem to be getting a 2.0x # of ramps/boostpads activated for boost calculation.

A fresh pot o' coffee might be needed, but positive a code error was made during patch.

Reguards
  • Options
    That would be very unfair if this was case. I don't think it is. My experience has been that the first person across gets the boost and if the second person behind them crosses it almost immediately then they don't get a boost. Like it needs a second or so to 'reset'.

If two appear to go across one at the same time, then only one person will get the boost. Not sure how that is calculated. Maybe the one that the game senses going across a microsecond before the other?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    I am wondering if there is a reset function when the 1st board goes over, but the results are subject to latency. I do not live in Europe or Northern America, and I do experience latency, which may explain why it looks like I got their first but my opponent, who appears to be just behind me got the boost. This makes the whole 1st boost thing even more unfair, and qualitatively more unfair thanks to the boost increase.
  • Options
    I don't worry about the race semantics too much. I experience what you experienced most all the time. I get to the boost, but the person 'just behind me' gets it. As long as I can stay on the track and get at least the finish, I'm good.

Guess I'm not that competitive. Yeah, I'll race as hard as I can, but I'm not gonna cry about losing speed boosts or place flags. It's hard enough staying on course if I pop too many speed boosts at the same time. Got a DQ earlier today cause of that. Got just outside the invisible boundary beyond the lit track and got DQ'd.

I also ended up on top of a hill the other day, but wasn't outside the boundaries and managed to get to the finish before time ran out. I've also been pushed off the start by crowding racers and got DQ'd, so I just try to stay to the end.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    echatty wrote: »
    I don't worry about the race semantics too much. I experience what you experienced most all the time. I get to the boost, but the person 'just behind me' gets it. As long as I can stay on the track and get at least the finish, I'm good.

Guess I'm not that competitive. Yeah, I'll race as hard as I can, but I'm not gonna cry about losing speed boosts or place flags. It's hard enough staying on course if I pop too many speed boosts at the same time. Got a DQ earlier today cause of that. Got just outside the invisible boundary beyond the lit track and got DQ'd.

I also ended up on top of a hill the other day, but wasn't outside the boundaries and managed to get to the finish before time ran out. I've also been pushed off the start by crowding racers and got DQ'd, so I just try to stay to the end.

I hear you, but those really over powered boosts turn surfing from a minor irritant in a race of skill, to being subject to the RNG on who gets a leg up. Really changes the whole face of the game.

• Options
    No argument there. I've pretty much been able to adjust to it myself. Before the boosts, I would be lucky to get a place flag. Since they were fixed I've gotten more place flags. Is it because some people weren't able to compensate for the boosts? Probably. I'm not complaining.

If Cryptic nerfs the boosts a bit, I won't complain, just saying it doesn't take much to compensate for them, even on a Targ.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    I love the new boosts. Granted, I don't always win, but the increased and the ability to fly is fun in itself. I really hope they don't nerf it. It actually makes the race much more interesting.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    I don't want them to nerf it either, but they might if too many people complain about it.

I will stress that I am not complaining about it. I love them, even when I get tossed on top of hills or fly halfway to the finish or even go out of bounds.
    Now a LTS and loving it.