test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Account-Bound Lockbox Weapons

I just saw this in the Patch Notes for tomorrow. This does not help those with existing LB weapons, but it can be useful in the future for outfitting new toons.

"All lock box weapon types have been made to uniformly use the binding rule of Account-Bind-on-Equip.
Existing bound versions cannot be unbound, but future obtained versions of these weapons will reflect this change.
The following energy types were updated to match this uniform binding rule:
Chronoplasma
Coalition Disruptor
Elachi Crescent Disruptor
Fluidic Antiproton
Nanite Disruptor
Phased Polaron
Phased Tetryon
Polarized Disruptor
Vaadwaur Polaron
Voth Antiproton"

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10035123-star-trek-online:-release-notes:-june-23rd,-2016

Comments

• Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    Neat! Nice QoL improvement.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Plus on Tribble they are allowing the previously non-upgradeable Wide Angle Voth Transphasic-Chroniton Torpedo Launcher to be upgradeable as well as the Kumari Wing Canons.

You know those previously Character Bound cannot nonsense was the same thing they pulled with the VIP Mining Claims. They can be made Account Bound if they so choosed, but they are not.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    ltminns wrote: »
    Plus on Tribble they are allowing the previously non-upgradeable Wide Angle Voth Transphasic-Chroniton Torpedo Launcher to be upgradeable as well as the Kumari Wing Canons.
    If only the Herald Transphasic Torp could get the same love.

Unless... *goes check on Tribble*

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    They really ought to add all one-off Weapons and Consoles to be upgraded already, including pre-order items.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Dammit I just dumped a load of chronoplasma weapons to my fleet because they were no use on my toon. Is have kept them and tried them on a few builds if I'd known this earlier! :(
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    Its a nice improvement that might come in handy in the future, shame they can't make the already existing ones (the unpacked ones) account bound as well. Oh well, can't have everything.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    Its a nice improvement that might come in handy in the future, shame they can't make the already existing ones (the unpacked ones) account bound as well. Oh well, can't have everything.

I was under the impression, based on the wording, that such unpacked weapons would be, provided they were not already bound to a character...​​
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    imruined wrote: »

I was under the impression, based on the wording, that such unpacked weapons would be, provided they were not already bound to a character...​​

From the notes:

''Existing bound versions cannot be unbound, but future obtained versions of these weapons will reflect this change.''

• Options

I was under the impression, based on the wording, that such unpacked weapons would be, provided they were not already bound to a character...

From the notes:

''Existing bound versions cannot be unbound, but future obtained versions of these weapons will reflect this change.''

Yes, but unpacked and bound are two distinct states... Since the announcement only states bound weapons will not change, some clarification may be needed here - though, I guess we'll find out tomorrow anyway...​​

• Options

I was under the impression, based on the wording, that such unpacked weapons would be, provided they were not already bound to a character...

From the notes:

Yes, but unpacked and bound are two distinct states... Since the announcement only states bound weapons will not change, some clarification may be needed here - though, I guess we'll find out tomorrow anyway...​​

If I unpacked the weapon and then used it and it got bound to char it will remain bound to char. That's what it means.
  • Options
    trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User

From the notes:

If I unpacked the weapon and then used it and it got bound to char it will remain bound to char. That's what it means.

and then your first sentence in that discuss was suggesting you believing that the change does not affect already unpacked weapons no matter if they were used or not....

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • Options
    trejgon wrote: »

From the notes:

and then your first sentence in that discuss was suggesting you believing that the change does not affect already unpacked weapons no matter if they were used or not....

No I didn't suggest anything like that obviously. When I wrote that sentence I was thinking about items that I already used and they got bound to char. The sentences that got written afterwards cleared that up for anyone with common sense so I'm not sure what your point is.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User

BUWAHHH??!!

I've been teetering on the very edge of buying those since my TOS character will be Andorian. That's GREAT news!!

• Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    so exciting!
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Yeah Herald torpedoes should be upgradable as well. I have a feeling that we'll see that happening soon, I can't imagine they would only make the Voth torpedo upgradable and leave the Herald one as it is.

And I'm also quite happy to see the Kumari cannons finally being upgradable. Next change I wish to see is, given that we won't be able to choose different weapon colours, Mk 12 Andorian phasers added to the stores and perhaps to the crafting system as well.

Realising that my entire reaction until now has been off-topic... the change to making lock box weapons account bound on equip is also appreciated. This might encourage me to try different weapon types in the future for some alts.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »

BUWAHHH??!!

I've been teetering on the very edge of buying those since my TOS character will be Andorian. That's GREAT news!!

yeah, it's about damn time...only took them almost TWO YEARS!​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

From the notes:

Yes, but unpacked and bound are two distinct states... Since the announcement only states bound weapons will not change, some clarification may be needed here - though, I guess we'll find out tomorrow anyway...

Yes, and I understood that... I was referring to unpacked weapons, which had never been equipped, so were not bound in any way...

Checking just now, a set of Coalition Disruptor Beams I had been sitting on - since I hadn't decided which one character to give them to - are all Bind-to-Account now...

They had been unpacked, but had never been equipped... So clearly the wording did only apply to equipped weapons, and unpacked-but-unequipped weapons were also updated to Bind-to-Account...​​

• Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    @imruined I'm fairly sure coalition disruptors already were account bind on equip, I know the Herald APs were. This applies more to things like elachi weapons that were character bind on equip.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Coalition disruptors were character bind on equip. I have two or three that are bound to my KDF including some elachis. Luckily I didn't yet equip the rest of them, and so am fortunate (thanks to hoarding) to make them account bound now so my other mains can finally do some interesting things with them.

Would also appreciate making the Dyson proton DHC upgradeable. Spent way too many resources building the Harpia in full protonic polaron rep gear and would like to have another reason to use the tactical mode too.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I think it would be a good idea to make almost everything bound to account. Fleet consoles, for example, are also quite expensive and if you decide to change weapon types, you're stuck with those very expensive consoles that you'll never use again and with no way to make them useful on characters that could put them to good use.

I have toons that have changed from a focus on plasma to polaron, torpedoes and now even those torpedo consoles aren't used anymore. It's nice that we can send most weapons to other characters, but I still have to buy new consoles on new alts even though I have enough gear on this one toon alone to equip two new alts.

And he is not even my only character that has a lot of spare gear.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Yeah, they should make most stuff account bound rather than character bound (barring the 'special' stuff from events, which should be character bound).

Most especially fleet stuff-consoles, equipment, etc. Should make it all acct bound so we can send it to other toons if need be.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    I want them to make lockbox ships account unlocks. :|
  • Options
    alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    They really ought to add all one-off Weapons and Consoles to be upgraded already, including pre-order items.

I agree, but at least we are moving in the right direction.
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran